Author Topic: Sydney Traffic  (Read 15259 times)

Online HalcyonTopic starter

• Global Moderator
Sydney Traffic
« on: September 10, 2015, 09:19:43 am »
So, I just spent the last 2 hours travelling the 55 kilometres from Sydney City to home. How the hell is it possible that a "world class" city such as Sydney is lacking basic road infrastructure in that I didn't even hit an average speed of 30KM/hr! It's not just today, but it's the same every single weekday morning and evening. Honestly, whoever thought it was a brilliant idea to make a tunnel on a major freeway in and out of the Sydney CBD just 2 lanes needs to be shot.

In case you were wondering, there was no breakdown, no accident, nothing at all. If there had been, Sydney and the surrounding area within a 30KM radius comes to a grinding halt.

Absolute insanity!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 09:23:18 am by Halcyon »

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
Re: Sydney Traffic
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 10:37:08 am »
Highways are like hard drives,  any free capacity get filled up over time.

Offline Maxlor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 10:37:28 am »
If I were to leave the office between 17:00 and 18:00, it'd take me roughly an hour by car to travel the 3km to where the highway begins. And it's the same almost every day.

Traffic in Sydney is a lot better than in most other cities in the world!

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 10:44:15 am »
If I were to leave the office between 17:00 and 18:00, it'd take me roughly an hour by car to travel the 3km to where the highway begins. And it's the same almost every day.

Traffic in Sydney is a lot better than in most other cities in the world!

:o I honestly don't know how to respond to that. I don't know which is more crazy; "it'd take me roughly an hour by car to travel the 3km" or "Traffic in Sydney is a lot better than in most other cities in the world".

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 10:47:21 am »
Welcome to Sydney  ;D

Guess why I decided to get a lab within walking distance from home.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 10:49:22 am »
Welcome to Sydney  ;D

This is why I'm moving to the Blue Mountains very very soon! I also have the opportunity to work walking distance from home. I won't know what to do with all my spare time!

Offline aargee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 12:12:58 am »
Don't worry something will come up to fill the available capacity (time)  :)

I work from home now and it's surprising (or not) the low tolerance I now have for traffic. I go to the office once a week for my sanity's sake.
Not easy, not hard, just need to be incentivised.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2015, 12:56:34 am »
Let me guess: you work in Geneve? That is about the worst city to drive in due to the traffic light going green for 3 seconds and then staying red for 5 minutes. The traffic just doesn't move. Even cities like Paris or Jakarta (Indonesia) are better!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 12:58:30 am by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Gribo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2015, 06:46:09 am »
30km/h for rush hour traffic in a western is reasonable. The question is, do you have alternative method, such as buses or trains?
I am available for freelance work.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2015, 07:07:23 am »
I also have the opportunity to work walking distance from home. I won't know what to do with all my spare time!

You'll just piss it away like I do  ;D

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2015, 07:21:06 am »
Dublin Corporation bought the traffic management software you guys wrote for Sydney. I can see first hand that it does not work.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2015, 07:49:30 am »
30km/h for rush hour traffic in a western is reasonable. The question is, do you have alternative method, such as buses or trains?
I think most 30km commutes mix some fast roads in the middle of the journey with some slow access roads at the beginning and end. Averaged over the whole journey, 30km/h seems about what you would expect for fairly clear roads, with just a bunch of traffic lights causing you to stop and wait a few times. Of course, a journey which starts and ends really close to the fast roads should have a higher average speed, but few are fortunate enough to have such a journey.

Offline SL4P

• Super Contributor
  • There's more value if you figure it out yourself!
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2015, 09:29:43 am »
Dublin Corporation bought the traffic management software you guys wrote for Sydney. I can see first hand that it does not work.
SCATS was a great platform, and a leader when it was first developed in the 70s.  While it has evolved, it is still based on the same principles as most traffic management systems...  measuring traffic flow on the inbound side of the junction (i.e. where it's come from), rather detected in the outbound side (where it's going to) .
This can only have one effect - that the traffic flow algorithms are one step *behind* the actual traffic flow... with all the the accompanying consequences!
Don't ask a question if you aren't willing to listen to the answer.

Offline Maxlor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2015, 09:47:10 am »
Let me guess: you work in Geneve? That is about the worst city to drive in due to the traffic light going green for 3 seconds and then staying red for 5 minutes. The traffic just doesn't move. Even cities like Paris or Jakarta (Indonesia) are better!
Zurich actually. And because of the above, I very rarely use the car. I have some options: public transport, which works quite well, using the motorbike and filtering through traffic (on reasonably clear roads, twice as fast as public transport,) or just shifting my work hours back a bit to 10:00-19:00.

Imo, a reason the traffic is so bad during rush hour is because of geographic constraints. Between the hills and the lake, there are a couple of choke points that you can't really evade, that's where traffic grinds to a halt. It's similar in other cities that aren't built on flat open land with lots of space, as far as I can see. Berlin for example is big and flat, and as a result there seem to be a lot more routes through the city available. Even when there's been an accident on, say, the ringautobahn, the taxi drivers usually find an alternative route that's clear enough.

As for 30kph average through the city: that seems quite reasonable, I certainly don't complain there. Of course, if that's mixed roads with highway parts included, it does seem a bit slow.

I think you Australians simply have a low tolerance for bad traffic. Kudos to you for being able to keep that up, and actually getting the government to do something about it. Over here, drivers are either mostly ignored, or if they complain too loudly, taxed more (in the hopes that fewer people drive.)  >:(

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2015, 11:15:13 am »
Hmm. I don't recall Zurich being that bad. Still no matter where you are the number of cars is going to increase with economic growth. At some point economic growth is held back because people can't get to work and goods can not be transported when the roads are too cluttered. The NL government finally realised that after trying to make driving a car more expensive every year (which didn't work except just pushing inflation up). The economic crisis triggered a major reconstruction and upgrade project of several major highways in the NL in order to aid companies involved in building infrastructure. Even laws where changed to make appeals by environmentalists a short process. In the past some roads got delayed for close to 40 years due to appeals and other procedures.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2015, 11:56:37 am »
Hmm. I don't recall Zurich being that bad. Still no matter where you are the number of cars is going to increase with economic growth. At some point economic growth is held back because people can't get to work and goods can not be transported when the roads are too cluttered. The NL government finally realised that after trying to make driving a car more expensive every year (which didn't work except just pushing inflation up). The economic crisis triggered a major reconstruction and upgrade project of several major highways in the NL in order to aid companies involved in building infrastructure. Even laws where changed to make appeals by environmentalists a short process. In the past some roads got delayed for close to 40 years due to appeals and other procedures.
What about in cities where there isn't the space for more roads?

One solution could be a large underground rail network, as in the case of London but it's expensive.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2015, 12:02:01 pm »
What about in cities where there isn't the space for more roads?
Those cities will turn into ghettos filled with poor people who can't afford a car anyway. It is already happening to Amsterdam.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2015, 05:01:23 am »
Takes me 40 minutes in the morning and evening, and I live 5km from work. Different though in that I do a car pool, so it becomes 12km each way. Leaving work after 5PM ( we close at 4.30, but I am the keyholder so never get that) the trip can be an hour if something is wrong ( normal, I listen to the traffic forecast and route around using ways I know are less congested), and at 4AM ( yay crime) I can do it faster than the security company armed response. Durban South Africa. Some of our staff who use public transport leave home at 4AM to get to work at 7 on the train, and get home after 7 every day. Those who use minibus taxis might spend 2 hours each way.

At least I do not live in Gauteng, where you can take 3 hours to move 2km in the outer business areas, even off peak. CBD it is faster ( though not safe) to walk.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2015, 06:01:36 am »
You'll just piss it away like I do  ;D

Or make videos while driving for YouTube  :-DD   Please use more outside shots, I like looking at your area.  I really enjoyed the traveling video, but I cannot remember the subject  :-DD
So please make more videos while driving in traffic.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 06:06:22 am by ez24 »
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2015, 06:10:59 am »
One solution could be a large underground rail network, as in the case of London but it's expensive.

That works because it's a tiny little city. Not at all applicable to a geographically sparse city like we have over here.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2015, 06:59:52 am »
You guys in Sidney need to figure out how a PIC32 can help you and get Dave to put on a video about it  :)

I would love to see Dave do a video while stuck in Sidney traffic, if really bad traffic maybe a teardown ?
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline continuo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2015, 08:08:13 am »
Or make videos while driving for YouTube  :-DD   Please use more outside shots, I like looking at your area.  I really enjoyed the traveling video, but I cannot remember the subject  :-DD
So please make more videos while driving in traffic.

Check out a few of this guys "Daily Observations" vids, watching him battle his way through the streets of London... I love these, he's the master of filtering   :clap:

« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 08:26:27 am by continuo »

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2015, 08:27:32 am »
So, I just spent the last 2 hours travelling the 55 kilometres from Sydney City to home. How the hell is it possible that a "world class" city such as Sydney is lacking basic road infrastructure in that I didn't even hit an average speed of 30KM/hr!
You could replace the word Sydney by the word Brussels and still talk the thruth.

As a result, wages/month on "the wrong side or place" are 500 to 2000 euro higher, but I chose to spend 10K hours of my life in a nicer way.
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2015, 09:02:47 am »
Takes me 40 minutes in the morning and evening, and I live 5km from work.
I'd definitely use a bycicle in your case! During my EE study I bought an extra bycicle to travel between the trainstation and school. Even though I had a pass to use the public transport for free I opted for the fastest and most flexible option.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2015, 08:07:34 pm »
Check out a few of this guys "Daily Observations" vids, watching him battle his way through the streets of London... I love these, he's the master of filtering

Did you see the number of subscribers and views he has?  He can make a living just by driving around and dogging the police.  I subscribed so I can see if he records his hospital visits.  In reality a dangerous person (but he likes dogs so he is not all bad)

Thanks continuo

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2015, 08:42:53 pm »
In reality a dangerous person (but he likes dogs so he is not all bad)
A pussy compared to this guy:

His balls are in the carriage behind the motor cycle!
This guy inspired an entire generation of motor cycle drivers. Nowadays they all drive like this around Paris albeit a little bit slower due to the speed cameras.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 08:46:08 pm by nctnico »

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2015, 09:15:06 pm »
A pussy compared to this guy:  .....

This guy inspired an entire generation of motor cycle drivers. Nowadays they all drive like this around Paris albeit a little bit slower due to the speed cameras.

Surely a Darwin Award winner.  Who was that guy at the end?  I cannot understand what they said but was this a timed race by motorcycle gangs (shown at the end)?  No recent videos from the poster (probably he is in jail or in hiding) but I cannot imagine someone like this to live very long. 

I guess when you are passing someone at 155 mph and they are doing 60 mph, it would be like they are standing still.  About every 6 months here, Darwin takes a copier off of the earth.  Surprised at the low number of views of this video.

thanks nctnico I enjoyed this video  :-+

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2015, 09:41:18 pm »
So, I just spent the last 2 hours travelling the 55 kilometres from Sydney City to home. How the hell is it possible that a "world class" city such as Sydney is lacking basic road infrastructure in that I didn't even hit an average speed of 30KM/hr! It's not just today, but it's the same every single weekday morning and evening. Honestly, whoever thought it was a brilliant idea to make a tunnel on a major freeway in and out of the Sydney CBD just 2 lanes needs to be shot.

In case you were wondering, there was no breakdown, no accident, nothing at all. If there had been, Sydney and the surrounding area within a 30KM radius comes to a grinding halt.

Absolute insanity!

:-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD
Come to San Diego California, A city of just over 1 Megaperson in a county of 2.8 Megapeople give or take.
I'll show you traffic, If that doesn't suite you We can go 120 miles to the north and you can experience traffic in the US's second largest city where gridlock exists in some places around the clock.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2015, 09:45:27 pm »
Welcome to Sydney  ;D

This is why I'm moving to the Blue Mountains very very soon! I also have the opportunity to work walking distance from home. I won't know what to do with all my spare time!
I use to work within walking distance from home 6 miles exactly It was a nice hour and twenty minute commute.
By the way that is just 200 meters short of 10K. I loved it :)
Sue AF6LJ

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2015, 10:03:24 pm »
A pussy compared to this guy:  .....

Surely a Darwin Award winner.  Who was that guy at the end?  I cannot understand what they said but was this a timed race by motorcycle gangs (shown at the end)?  No recent videos from the poster (probably he is in jail or in hiding) but I cannot imagine someone like this to live very long. 
The guy in the end takes his lap time (11 minutes something with an average speed of 192km/h) The guy explains in French which is dubbed in German how he estimates what drivers in front of him will do. His reasoning is that by going as fast as possible overtaking doesn't take long enough for any lateral movement to become a problem. The other traffic becomes more or less static objects. The footage is from 1989 so the guy is either dead or taking his grandchildren for a walk in the park.
I guess when you are passing someone at 155 mph and they are doing 60 mph, it would be like they are standing still.  About every 6 months here, Darwin takes a copier off of the earth.  Surprised at the low number of views of this video.

thanks nctnico I enjoyed this video  :-+
This video somehow gives me the creeps. I drive on that highway around Paris (Boulevard Peripherique) every now and then so I know to expect the unexpected there. I never ventured into driving a motor cycle myself.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 10:07:11 pm by nctnico »

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2015, 10:23:57 pm »
Come to San Diego California
I am here (North Park).
I used to commute to Victorville and then to El Centro, thank god that is over.  Now a trip to Costco is a major deal for me  :-DD

But I never think of San Diego as having world class traffic.  I think we are 17th in the US.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/San-Diegos-Traffic-Ranked-Among-Worst-in-Nation-298184261.html

Seems that Brussels holds the world title - who would have guessed

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/ehmk45kheg/1-brussels-belgium/

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2015, 10:50:48 pm »
Come to San Diego California
I am here (North Park).
I used to commute to Victorville and then to El Centro, thank god that is over.  Now a trip to Costco is a major deal for me  :-DD

But I never think of San Diego as having world class traffic.  I think we are 17th in the US.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/San-Diegos-Traffic-Ranked-Among-Worst-in-Nation-298184261.html

Seems that Brussels holds the world title - who would have guessed

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/ehmk45kheg/1-brussels-belgium/
I live in South Park. (you know where that is) I use to walk from here up 30th street down University to fifth down fifth to Olive then over to fourth where I worked. It was really a nice walk no matter the weather and yes I did do it in the pouring rain I just took an extra set of cloths and my towel. I worked for a now defunked publishing company and sometimes would have to be there at midnight to receive publications that came from LA.

Sometimes I would have to work on holidays like Christmas and Thanksgiving  Christmas was great because I could walk to work and never see a single person or car, it was like the movie I am Legend. :)

I moved to Texas back in 2005 to work for a friend, I use to laugh when  my roommate would complain about San Antonio traffic, She drove the rented truck from SA back to here and she decided that I had every reason to laugh at her about the SA traffic since we hit I-8 at rush hour. :)
Yes I live in South Park Kenny use to live across the street and you know what happened to him...
Sue AF6LJ

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2015, 11:39:58 pm »
Yes I live in South Park Kenny use to live across the street and you know what happened to him...

Sorry I am not very social so I do not know Kenny.  Did he die many deaths?

Are you the one that has vintage electronics yard sales every weekend across from Brooklyn School?  (ps I went to this school in the 50s).  I never stopped and looked at the stuff.  From 1970 until recently I was out of electronics.

Funny to meet someone here that lives within a mile or two of me (I live near Juniper and 30th). People think I live in South Park but officially I live in North Park.

The level of this forum is very advanced for me.  I started by asking about buck convertors and got quickly shot down but I have found the variety of topics entertaining.  Just finished watching a guy on a motorcycle racing through Paris at 150 mph (I am crippled from racing a motorcycle.  I hit a pedestrian at 60 mph - so I like to watch videos now)

Do you go to any of the local Maker meetings?  There is an Arudino at Central Library and Spincraft somewhere.

till later

Thank god it is suppose to cool off tonight  :)

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2015, 01:22:12 am »

Sorry I am not very social so I do not know Kenny.  Did he die many deaths?
:) yah.
Are you the one that has vintage electronics yard sales every weekend across from Brooklyn School?  (ps I went to this school in the 50s).  I never stopped and looked at the stuff.  From 1970 until recently I was out of electronics.
No I am not.
Funny to meet someone here that lives within a mile or two of me (I live near Juniper and 30th). People think I live in South Park but officially I live in North Park.
I am near 31st and Grape.
I live with a family friend who has two rather protective dogs. :)
The level of this forum is very advanced for me.  I started by asking about buck convertors and got quickly shot down but I have found the variety of topics entertaining.  Just finished watching a guy on a motorcycle racing through Paris at 150 mph (I am crippled from racing a motorcycle.  I hit a pedestrian at 60 mph - so I like to watch videos now)
That's unfortunate, about the accident.
Members of my family were into auto and motorcycle racing. My Uncle use to race a Honda CL-450 back in the day.
Do you go to any of the local Maker meetings?  There is an Arudino at Central Library and Spincraft somewhere.

till later

Thank god it is suppose to cool off tonight  :)

No Kidding about the weather, for some reason it feels hotter here than in Texas. (where I lived for just a little over a year.

I am involved in one fo the local radio clubs.
I guess involved is a bit of an understatement, I am the secretary and newsletter editor.
I haven't been to any of the local maker meetings, my main interests lie in RF, I worked as an RF tech for 21 years before loosing part of my eyesight (long story...).
wa6bgs.us
Sue AF6LJ

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2015, 03:27:41 am »
My Uncle use to race a Honda CL-450 back in the day.
I crashed a CL-350.  There was one near you and I left a note on it, offering $20 to sit on it and take a picture - no taker

I am involved in one fo the local radio clubs.

How funny I used to live in El Cajon, I still have a house there so I have to go there every once in awhile.  Really only place I go other than Costco.

my main interests lie in RF
I used to have a friend who was a ham and remember some of his gear

loosing part of my eyesight

I am starting to lose parts of mine  :'(

If you would like coffee and lunch sometime I think we should PM, you can bring a friend they are also welcomed and Rebecca is dog friendly  (mine are too old to go).
I bet it is rare for members here to find out they live near each other.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2015, 03:30:54 am »
Sounds good check your PM for an email address...
Sue AF6LJ

Online Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2015, 04:19:10 am »
iratus parum formica

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2015, 05:35:29 am »

Online Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2015, 11:48:24 am »
 O0
iratus parum formica

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf