Author Topic: Volkswagen’s 2019 EV to get 300 miles with 15-minute charge.  (Read 8036 times)

Offline firewalkerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
Re: Volkswagen’s 2019 EV to get 300 miles with 15-minute charge.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 11:16:25 pm »
Introducing the new electric golf:

Personally, I think VW first have to set their price right. A Jaguar XE costs less than their pathetic hatchback, if you want extras, like 4 doors, or an engine bigger than a lawnmower.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 11:32:15 pm »
That's going to be one heck of a charger!

I get about 5 miles per kWh in my Chevy Spark EV.  From a conventional 15A circuit, I can draw about 1.4 kW.  So, if I drove my car for 80 miles, I would need to replace 16 kWh and, at best, that would take 11 hours.  Actually, it takes longer because the charger doesn't put out 1.4 kW.  There are some 8 hour chargers that run on 240V so they put out about 2 kW.  There are some commercial 30 minute chargers, so 32 kW (that's a really big number).

But my battery would need to be 4 times as big to go 300 miles and that comes out to around 2 hours even with the commercial chargers (at Walgreen's).

Maybe they get better mileage but it's not that good!  I just wonder what their charger looks like and, more importantly, how their car will perform with the chargers being installed up and down the state of California.

Once the hype settles, I might be interested.  We got the EV because we had solar and could drive for $0.03/mile.  Now that we have moved, we don't have solar and the price goes up somewhat.

Battery cars are going nowhere until there is infrastructure in place for rapid recharging but, finally, the 300 mile range seems workable.  But it's about the infrastructure.  It's fine to stop for 30 minutes every 4 hours and grab a snack while the car charges.  It's not fine if I can't recharge overnight on a home charger.  If I worked, I would want to drive to work, perhaps get a free charge courtesy of my employer, drive home and get enough of an overnight charge to do the morning commute.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 11:49:45 pm »
Charging 300miles/480km with a consumption of 225Wh/km of range in 15 minutes computes to needing a 432kW charger. At 800V (mentioned in the article) that is over 500A.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 01:00:59 am »
Charging 300miles/480km with a consumption of 225Wh/km of range in 15 minutes computes to needing a 432kW charger. At 800V (mentioned in the article) that is over 500A.

So, my employer has to install a 1000 kVA substation (say $100k per) for every pair of employee cars?  If I was still working, that would be my job.  The cables are going to be HUGE!  It's a good thing we had nearly 30 MVA of incoming capacity.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 01:10:51 am »
I imagine one solution might be to have some on-site energy accumulator that charges from the grid supply at as rate it can deliver and then transfer that energy to a vehicle at a high rate.

But I don't know if that would be practical...

The power levels already in use make me look twice.

Offline raptor1956

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 04:11:45 am »
Yep, and there diesels don't need DEF to have clean emissions...

Brian

Offline WackyGerman

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 02:21:19 pm »

If you have enough space for your own nuclear power station in your garden you can buy one of these  :-DD

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2016, 02:59:55 pm »
Yeah, VW is so advanced in e-mobility technology that Deutsche Post (DHL) bought a start up which developed an E delivery van that exists & works, and started production. They are going to move completely to EVs.

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2016, 10:13:17 pm »
Guys, it's obvious the must use superconductors, as well as super-teleportation cables connected directly to your wallets...you know what those are for. >:D

We need a Dave debunking, I smell :bullshit:

Oh, yes, it's totally POSSIBLE...but PRACTICAL?...NO!

Because we can all see some out of shape mom with four kids trying to connect a PAIR of THESE to her SUV while her kids are in the back screaming "hurry up mom!" :palm:

*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline magetoo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2016, 01:25:07 am »

And that one 15-minute charge is roughly equal to half of my electricity consumption in a month.  Puts things in perspective; cars need a lot of energy.

Offline Srbel

• Frequent Contributor
  • Electronics engineer
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2016, 06:42:39 am »
I get about 5 miles per kWh in my Chevy Spark EV.  From a conventional 15A circuit, I can draw about 1.4 kW.

Ha! In my country, standard socket provides 3,68 KW. xD

Offline JoeN

• Frequent Contributor
  • We Buy Trannies By The Truckload
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2016, 07:58:59 am »
Can we trust those figures?   :-DD
Have You Been Triggered Today?

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2016, 08:07:33 am »
Can we trust those figures?   :-DD
Yeah, probably they cheat, and only charges with that current when certification.
And it has a special container to emit mustard gas. Probably the charging station is going to be diesel anyway.
Anyway a VW diesel is still better than those Shangjong (or whatever they call it) cars. Last time I was driving behind a brand new looking chinese car, and I had to set the AC for internal circulation because of the smell coming from it.

Offline Srbel

• Frequent Contributor
  • Electronics engineer
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2016, 08:26:36 am »
SsangYong? It is South Korean car, and it uses Mercedes engine.

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2016, 08:29:10 am »
500KVA for charging - no problem, just put in a big diesel generator. If located at filling stateions you even have the fuel to hand....
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

The following users thanked this post: firewalker

Offline awallin

• Frequent Contributor

Offline station240

• Supporter
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2016, 10:09:18 am »
Knowing VW, as soon as you take this thing out of the testing labs, it will belch smoke everywhere.

Even if the charger can push 108kW into the car in 15 minutes, just imagine how hot the battery pack will get.

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2016, 10:59:43 am »
That's going to be one heck of a charger!

I get about 5 miles per kWh in my Chevy Spark EV.  From a conventional 15A circuit, I can draw about 1.4 kW.  So, if I drove my car for 80 miles, I would need to replace 16 kWh and, at best, that would take 11 hours.  Actually, it takes longer because the charger doesn't put out 1.4 kW.  There are some 8 hour chargers that run on 240V so they put out about 2 kW.  There are some commercial 30 minute chargers, so 32 kW (that's a really big number).

But my battery would need to be 4 times as big to go 300 miles and that comes out to around 2 hours even with the commercial chargers (at Walgreen's).

Maybe they get better mileage but it's not that good!  I just wonder what their charger looks like and, more importantly, how their car will perform with the chargers being installed up and down the state of California.

Once the hype settles, I might be interested.  We got the EV because we had solar and could drive for $0.03/mile.  Now that we have moved, we don't have solar and the price goes up somewhat.

Battery cars are going nowhere until there is infrastructure in place for rapid recharging but, finally, the 300 mile range seems workable.  But it's about the infrastructure.  It's fine to stop for 30 minutes every 4 hours and grab a snack while the car charges.  It's not fine if I can't recharge overnight on a home charger.  If I worked, I would want to drive to work, perhaps get a free charge courtesy of my employer, drive home and get enough of an overnight charge to do the morning commute.

these are getting somewhat popular around here

in Bologna, i've seen at least ten of these a day.
there are recharge coloumns in various parking lots around the city.
sometimes i could also see other electric veichles but the twizzy stands out: it's ugly as hell but at least it's convenient. one charge can do around 600 km IIRC, if you use it only to commute you can live with two-three charges per month

two or three of these i've seen were for a food delivery service, will cost even less than a motorbyke and you can load it with more cargo

Offline The Soulman

• Frequent Contributor
  • The sky is the limit!
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2016, 12:01:59 pm »
SsangYong? It is South Korean car, and it uses Mercedes engine.

SsangYong builds their own engines to an older Mercedes design and pays Mercedes for that and the use of their name.
Used materials, production tolerances and quality control are still SsangYong.  ::)

these are getting somewhat popular around here

(Renault Twizzy)

in Bologna, i've seen at least ten of these a day.
there are recharge coloumns in various parking lots around the city.
sometimes i could also see other electric veichles but the twizzy stands out: it's ugly as hell but at least it's convenient. one charge can do around 600 km IIRC, if you use it only to commute you can live with two-three charges per month

two or three of these i've seen were for a food delivery service, will cost even less than a motorbyke and you can load it with more cargo

The one I drove a couple of years ago could only do 100km or so, still good enough for commuting.
Note: Top speed is max 80kmph and side windows are optional.  ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf