Poll

Should EEVblog keep pushing TapaTalk?

Remove TapaTalk
85 (84.2%)
Keep TapaTalk
16 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 99

Voting closed: April 05, 2016, 06:45:47 am

Author Topic: TapaTalk - go away!  (Read 23150 times)

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
Re: TapaTalk - go away!
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2016, 02:36:22 pm »
On my browser that is based on Chrome and on Android I just have to go to Settings->Advanced and change the User Agent to Desktop instead of Android (or iPhone etc... as the other choices) then it doesn't think my tablet is an Android Native and TapaTalk doesn't come up or bother me at all.

So I did vote to keep it since the user can override the said User Agent, giving a choice to use TapaTalk or not.

Edit: my browser is ICS Browser+, have not migrated to Chrome because of the nice touch interface to navigate that ICS Browser+ has, even if its a bit dated, but I would imagine the native Chrome (which was on beta when I got my tablet) has a similar setting.
And btw I don't use TapaTalk, but don't want to rob the feature for those who like it.

Edit2: Also I recall changing the Request Desktop as well, so maybe you need to change both.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 02:42:36 pm by miguelvp »

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2016, 02:47:12 pm »
How can I remove every reference, link, poupup etc that mentions TapaTalk?
Drill a hole in the middle into your iPad, throw it into the trash can, and browse the EEVBlog from a PC like every engineer does.

Offline Turbon

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2016, 03:12:18 pm »
Get it ditched. Everything that can add more ADs should be prohibited. A nuisance!

Regards

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2016, 04:37:57 pm »

Please explain how a plain-vanilla Android tablet with an excellent screen (the extremely popular Tesco Hudl2) is the wrong tool for viewing this forum.

If you are happy with the experience that that configuration gives you than its the right tool for you.

Personally, if I would like to have desktop experience on a tablet, I would setup my user agent to that of a desktop.

Sigh. Do you really think I haven't tried that? Guess what happens; it isn't what you would hope and expect.

And yes, I do want to use my 1920*1080 screen to full advantage. Why on earth wouldn't I?

Hell's teeth, I have even used it with VNC to remotely access and display a full-resolution HD desktop on my main machine. Need to have a fingernail sharpened to a point, though.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Dubbie

• Supporter
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2016, 09:01:21 am »
Bah, I like tapatalk. Much nicer browsing all my forums in one place with a consistent look and feel. If Dave dumped the plugin I know it would cut my browsing to about 10%

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Offline Mechanical Menace

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2016, 09:07:16 am »
Bah, I like tapatalk. Much nicer browsing all my forums in one place with a consistent look and feel. If Dave dumped the plugin I know it would cut my browsing to about 10%

The "nicer" (to me awkward and harder) browsing and posting and the horrid, overly busy look and feel is why I don't use it. It forcing my browser into "desktop mode" no matter what I do (short of removing and reinstalling the browser) every time I get the ad is why I hate it. There's got to be a way to keep the plugin for those who want it but stop it nagging some and/or ruining the web browser experience to try and force them into using it.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 09:09:33 am by Mechanical Menace »
Second sexiest ugly bloke on the forum.
"Don't believe every quote you read on the internet, because I totally didn't say that."
~Albert Einstein

Offline Maxlor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2016, 09:36:31 am »
I ask for the "full site", Tapatalk is a modal dialog covering the full page.
I say "bugger off and remember it".
It dumps me into the app downloader, FFS, where I tell it not to download.
It then nags me to follow eevblog in tapatalk - taking up 1/3 the screen - with options to "open in app" or "install". Is it being rammed down my throat, or what?
Close broswer.
Open browser, and the whole bloody thing repeats again. Aaargh.

And at that point I'm close to defenestrating the tablet - and very close to not bothering to read the forum because tapatalk is making it so damn unpleasant.
I'm seeing that too on the rare occasion that I visit the forum on my phone. And then I usually remember why it was exactly that I stopped visiting the forum on my phone and close the tab.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2016, 10:18:49 am »

Please explain how a plain-vanilla Android tablet with an excellent screen (the extremely popular Tesco Hudl2) is the wrong tool for viewing this forum.

If you are happy with the experience that that configuration gives you than its the right tool for you.

Personally, if I would like to have desktop experience on a tablet, I would setup my user agent to that of a desktop.

Sigh. Do you really think I didn't try that.

It was the first thing I did, and the website/tapatalk totally ignored it.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2016, 12:09:58 pm »
The issue i have is with mobile browsing, it keeps showing a popup over the top of the page asking me to try tapatalk (and yes i have cookies on, its not that)

Even if i select that i don't want to use tapatalk it ignore that and will ask again a few moments later, and again, and again.
It seems like on average every 5-10 page loads i get it.

Browsing the forum from my phone has become ridiculously annoying.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 12:12:53 pm by Psi »
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2016, 04:43:01 pm »
I am with those saying TapaTalk has to be taken care of, it is very annoying.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2016, 04:55:13 pm »
It should be possible for Dave (or his Linux) guru to stop the popups, but still allow the tapatalk API to work.

Offline wkb

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2016, 09:32:43 pm »
I am with those saying TapaTalk has to be taken care of, it is very annoying.

Yes please!  Taken care of as in: taken behind the shed and shot in the head.   :rant:

Offline suicidaleggroll

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2016, 10:02:11 pm »
The issue i have is with mobile browsing, it keeps showing a popup over the top of the page asking me to try tapatalk (and yes i have cookies on, its not that)

Even if i select that i don't want to use tapatalk it ignore that and will ask again a few moments later, and again, and again.
It seems like on average every 5-10 page loads i get it.

Browsing the forum from my phone has become ridiculously annoying.

I have the same problem on iOS.  Every few page loads the damn thing pops up again, right in the middle of the screen, and I have to click cancel to get rid of it.

Offline lewis

• Frequent Contributor
  • Nullius in verba
« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2016, 10:14:16 pm »
What even is it? Tapatalk I mean.
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

Offline SL4PTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • There's more value if you figure it out yourself!
« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2016, 10:15:08 pm »
The poll at the top if this thread tells part of the story, but asking Dave - "does EEVblog get anything out of the Tapatalk relationship", or was it supposed to be a convenience for users (and Tapatalk?)?

If EEVblog gets some benefit, we could understand, but the latter reasons are enough to help convince you to turn it off!
Don't ask a question if you aren't willing to listen to the answer.

Offline crispy_tofu

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2016, 10:30:17 pm »
What even is it? Tapatalk I mean.

Tapatalk is a mobile app for forums.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2016, 10:51:27 pm »
The poll at the top if this thread tells part of the story, but asking Dave - "does EEVblog get anything out of the Tapatalk relationship", or was it supposed to be a convenience for users (and Tapatalk?)?
If EEVblog gets some benefit, we could understand, but the latter reasons are enough to help convince you to turn it off!

No relationship, people simply asked for it.

The following users thanked this post: SL4P

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: March 31, 2016, 10:55:36 pm »

No relationship, people simply asked for it.
Hmm ok.
With the poll running at 60-90% against - it may be worth looking for an alternative.
cheers.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2016, 10:56:17 pm »
I think I may have disabled the popup.
Can anyone confirm?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 12:26:45 am by EEVblog »

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #69 on: April 01, 2016, 12:23:56 am »
I use tapatalk and its great. Much better than a mobile browser.

Sent from my horrible mobile....

Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70 on: April 01, 2016, 02:04:40 am »
I think I may have disabled the popup.
Can anyone confirm?

It may need a couple pf days to verify, as on IOS it appears semi-randomly - esp on iPhone (iPad is slightly different appearance(?!).
Any others may like to add? 

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #71 on: April 01, 2016, 02:50:01 am »
It may need a couple pf days to verify, as on IOS it appears semi-randomly - esp on iPhone (iPad is slightly different appearance(?!).

Ok, we'll give it a few days.

The following users thanked this post: SL4P

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #72 on: April 01, 2016, 09:51:08 am »
Hopefully that only turns off the full screen popup. There is also a banner that slides down from the top of the page that allows you to open the thread in Tapatalk if you have it installed, which is a really nice feature when you land on a forum post via Google.

At any rate, as long as the plugin stays installed I'm fine with disabling all the popovers. That said, there's clearly an issue with popover code. After you tell it no, it shouldn't come back until you clear your cookies. The fact that isn't happening means there's a problem. If nobody else has contacted them about the issue I will.

Finally, please keep the plugin Dave. I know I wouldn't participate nearly as much without it. Tapatalk really makes keeping up with threads so easy.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline dcel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #73 on: April 01, 2016, 11:30:48 am »
I read the forum here on both my phone (note 3) and tablet (note 8 ) exclusively. I dispise tapatalk popping up constantly. I have chrome set up with a tab that i never close for the forum to avoid tapatalk, sadly, if there is a update to chrome, the forum, or whatever, tapatalk nags me on both phone and tab until i can get the separate windows setup again. Its hard to explain, but i force the brouser to desktop mode? and dont close that tab. I vote kill tapatalk, its nagging is annoying.
Chris
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 11:33:45 am by dcel »

Online Andy Watson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #74 on: April 01, 2016, 11:49:33 am »

Ok, we'll give it a few days.
Aside from the privacy issues I am not (I think) affected by pop-ups or other tapatalk intrusions, however, since the above changes I have noticed that the forum pages load much quicker. Thanks Dave.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf