Author Topic: Technical misnomers, ambiguous or plain incorrect terms in general usage.  (Read 30047 times)

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
That would be one. People seem to quite consistently confuse bits and bytes, even when the difference is pointed out. A computer with 8 Gb of RAM really isn't the same as one with 8 GB of it. In that case you might argue the intended meaning is obvious and it's being pedantic, but quite often it's quite unclear what the intent was. The resulting message could be off by an order of magnitude.

We're not even taking about the gb crowd.

Offline JohnnyMalaria

• Super Contributor
    • Enlighten Scientific LLC
That would be one. People seem to quite consistently confuse bits and bytes, even when the difference is pointed out. A computer with 8 Gb of RAM really isn't the same as one with 8 GB of it. In that case you might argue the intended meaning is obvious and it's being pedantic, but quite often it's quite unclear what the intent was. The resulting message could be off by an order of magnitude.

We're not even taking about the gb crowd.

It also doesn't help that every STEM discipline outside of computer science uses the kilo prefix to mean 1000, not 1024. Indeed, to indicate 1024 the prefix should be Ki (kibi) and not K. How many people do you ever come across distinguishing the two?

I giggle judgingly to myself when I see people boasting about clock speeds of hundreds or thousands of mHz - wow, so fast - and data speeds of mbps.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
It also doesn't help that every STEM discipline outside of computer science uses the kilo prefix to mean 1000, not 1024. Indeed, to indicate 1024 the prefix should be Ki (kibi) and not K. How many people do you ever come across distinguishing the two?

It was not a problem until the marketing geniuses at the mass storage companies changed to the SI convention because it made their drives look bigger.

The following users thanked this post: Nominal Animal

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
It has been a problem for a long time. Whence "1.44 MB" floppy disks?

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
It has been a problem for a long time. Whence "1.44 MB" floppy disks?

Oh, I agree it has been a problem for a long time.  But I am old enough to remember when it was *not* a problem and when it first became an issue, complaints were immediate.  This was before the World Wide Web existed but you can probably find something on Usenet about it.

Offline JohnnyMalaria

• Super Contributor
Data ARE, not data IS :scared: |O :palm:

The problem though is that you end up sounding like a pompous arse if you say it correctly. Same as for "whomever" and the correct pronunciation of "valet".

The following users thanked this post: Bassman59

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado

The problem though is that you end up sounding like a pompous arse if you say it correctly. Same as for "whomever" and the correct pronunciation of "valet".
I think that's an example where language has moved on and some people are left behind.

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
A recent howler was a poster on another messageboard who was talking about the Windows scheduler. He kept saying oh the quantas are 15ms long and this and that, oblivious to "quanta" already being plural.

Offline JohnnyMalaria

• Super Contributor

I think that's an example where language has moved on and some people are left behind.

Having read this, I really hate the grammar police's insistence that dangling modifiers, split infinitives and prepositions at the end of a sentence are all sins against the language. I'd like to firmly ram a stick up the tubes they shit out of.

I committed all three sins in the above....

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Online Circlotron

• Super Contributor

Same as when people talk about their Por-sha.  :rant:

Online Circlotron

• Super Contributor
A recent howler was a poster on another messageboard who was talking about the Windows scheduler. He kept saying oh the quantas are 15ms long and this and that, oblivious to "quanta" already being plural.
Could be worse. 2.76523 quantas.

Offline JohnnyMalaria

• Super Contributor

Same as when people talk about their Por-sha.  :rant:

But it's a German name.

On the other hand, coupe' - 'coup-ay', not 'coup'. I'm not a damned chicken!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 03:22:49 am by JohnnyMalaria »

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
Let's say I pull the results of some large simulation from a cluster to local external disks, and put them all into a box for the researcher to carry.

Do I really have to say "The data are here."?

Reminds me too much of Star Trek TNG.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
But it's a German name.

On the other hand, coupe' - 'coup-ay', not 'coup'. I'm not a damned chicken!
How would it being a German name make a difference?

Offline basinstreetdesign

• Frequent Contributor
It grinds me every time I see a post on some board about something that is based "off" something else.  Since I was born the phrase has always been "based ON something".  But ever since the 1980's, that particular bastardization has caught on in a big way.   >:(   |O
STAND BACK!  I'm going to try SCIENCE!

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less

Er, "datum" is the singular and "data" is the plural. So it isn't as simple as you would like to believe.

Or tomato, or Leicester, or Himalaya, or...
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online Circlotron

• Super Contributor
Grinds my gears when people use the word “shall”.
As in “you shall not do this”.
Sounds like they are looking down their nose at you.

Offline JohnnyMalaria

• Super Contributor
Er, "datum" is the singular and "data" is the plural. So it isn't as simple as you would like to believe.

Eh? That's my point.  :-//

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
That's a bit like how some people loathe the term "boss" or anything similar. I feel it often coincides with a little man complex, though I'm not saying that's true in your case. People can call or address me however they like, it's not going to change anything anyway.

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
"Shall" is a funny word. I don't use it, but the way I learned is that its meaning is flipped depending on whether the subject is the first person.
I shallYou will(Indicative mood: statement of fact)
I willYou shall(Imperative mood: statement of necessity)
In the US hardly anybody uses it these days. Too confusing.

Offline BillB

• Supporter
Old time Requirements Specifications were full of Shalls.  Now, it's very rare that I come across them anymore (heck, even formal requirements specifications themselves seem to be increasingly rare). 

On occasion, I do use "I shall".

Offline bob225

• Frequent Contributor
'Digital' aerials (antennas) - There is nothing digital about them its the signal that binary that's a rx or tx via a RF waveform

Offline GlennSprigg

• Super Contributor
  • Medically retired Tech. Old School / re-learning !
I hate hearing the phrases......   "AC Current", or "DC Current".....  >:(
'AC' means 'Alternating Current', so 'AC Current' means "Alternating Current Current"  Aarrgh....
Diagonal of 1x1 square = Root-2. Ok.
Diagonal of 1x1x1 cube = Root-3 !!!  Beautiful !!

Offline bob225

• Frequent Contributor
I hate hearing the phrases......   "AC Current", or "DC Current".....  >:(
'AC' means 'Alternating Current', so 'AC Current' means "Alternating Current Current"  Aarrgh....

That's like PAT testing - Portable Appliance Testing testing

The following users thanked this post: GlennSprigg

Offline Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
That's a bit like how some people loathe the term "boss" or anything similar. I feel it often coincides with a little man complex, though I'm not saying that's true in your case. People can call or address me however they like, it's not going to change anything anyway.
The Finnish word for boss, "pomo", is derived from Russian помощник (pomóšnik): helper or assistant.  Very apt, IMO!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf