Author Topic: Tektronix TDS 210  (Read 8595 times)

Offline martysdomainTopic starter

• Contributor
Tektronix TDS 210
« on: April 01, 2012, 09:31:21 pm »
Was wondering what the going price (used) and thoughts were on the above listed scope. Is this a good first scope for someone to own? I've been in electronics for several years and its time for a scope saw an ad for this one, used, with proof that it went back to depot for the recall (I read about that on here). Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 09:50:21 pm by martysdomain »

Offline slateraptor

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Tektronix TDS 210
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 06:20:36 am »
Seeing as how a new Rigol of comparable performance can be had for US$329...

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 06:39:48 am »
About the only advantage to it is that it runs silent.
Other than that, I wouldn't touch one, when a new Rigol or similar can be had for the same price or less.
For some reason the TDS210/220 still commands a decent price on ebay. Probably the Tek fanboys.

A great market changing scope in it's day, but it's poor screen, update speed, and memory means it can barely hold up today.
IMO, they are probably worth about $200-$300 tops.

Dave.

Offline martysdomainTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 04:00:40 pm »
Thank you all. The one I was looking at was only going for around $200. I'll take a close look see at some of the Rigol products.

Offline DavidDLC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 04:08:44 pm »
Also not very important but.... it is boring to look to a monochromatic screen, get a one with colors, so you can easily distinguish between channel traces and mark your probes as well.

Offline mzacharias

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 10:50:50 am »
I had a clean TDS-220 and sold it on eBay; got enough to buy TWO clean Tek 2246 mod A 100mHz analog scopes with cursors, etc and had a couple hundred bucks left over.

;D

Offline Magicmushroom666

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 10:56:33 pm »
I must admit i've got quite a soft spot for the TDS 210, and would love one for myself when i get one cheap, but that's mainly because it's the scope i both learnt with all through university and used regularly at my first job afterwards! Familiarity certainly counts for something and i often get frustrated on other scopes when i dont know where a setting is!

They are getting on a bit now, and the new rigols etc are brilliant with the huge memory, and much snappier interfaces etc, I think your better off with a new one!

But hey if you need to do reports etc with screenshots from the unit, there's nothing like the 'Tek' logo in the corner to give reassurance to the reader.

Offline FenderBender

• Super Contributor
    • The Solid State Workshop
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 01:47:14 am »
The TDS scopes aren't too well documented and you might have trouble fixing them if it becomes broken. Might want to get either an older Tek/HP scope of a newer DSO.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf