Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14908034 times)

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #1425 on: May 20, 2017, 12:51:27 pm »
Quickly, please tell me something bad about the HP 3458A multimeter so I can refrain from bidding on it.

Need help, about to relapse.

You want somebody in this group to tell you something to help you refrain from bidding on it ...

Sorry I cannot help you.  ::)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline modrobert

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1426 on: May 20, 2017, 01:00:17 pm »
Found something which holds me back a bit, for now, but still tempting. /me drools...

Also old units manufactured earlier than 2005, would have Dallas NVRAM batteries already near end of life, with risk of losing calibration data any day. So even if you buy meter for 1000$, you can be easily be held back by 2000-3000$ more to fix it and get calibrated.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #1427 on: May 20, 2017, 01:27:06 pm »
Found something which holds me back a bit, for now, but still tempting. /me drools...

Also old units manufactured earlier than 2005, would have Dallas NVRAM batteries already near end of life, with risk of losing calibration data any day. So even if you buy meter for 1000$, you can be easily be held back by 2000-3000$ more to fix it and get calibrated.

As long as it hasn't already lost it's calibration data the Dallas NVRAM batteries can be backed up by an external source.

Keep trying!  >:D
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1428 on: May 20, 2017, 01:48:11 pm »

Oh come on!  :palm:

Look, if it was a choice between buying your children food or buying this DMM, then you might - I repeat might - be able to use that as an excuse. But the one you gave ain't gonna cut it here buddy!  :bullshit:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline modrobert

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1429 on: May 20, 2017, 02:00:35 pm »
As long as it hasn't already lost it's calibration data the Dallas NVRAM batteries can be backed up by an external source.

Do you have any good link describing the procedure? I only found some destructive options when searching around which seemed to be more about getting old PCs past BIOS error, as in not caring about retaining the NVRAM data.

Oh come on!  :palm:

Look, if it was a choice between buying your children food or buying this DMM, then you might - I repeat might - be able to use that as an excuse. But the one you gave ain't gonna cut it here buddy!  :bullshit:

Hehe... It's a bit like going to the rehab program only to find a bunch of old heroin addicts high as kites and singing like whales.

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1430 on: May 20, 2017, 02:34:33 pm »
When the A2D board starts throwing up errors, you might be out a few $K . It will most likely happen
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

The following users thanked this post: modrobert

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #1431 on: May 20, 2017, 04:23:00 pm »

Do you have any good link describing the procedure? I only found some destructive options when searching around which seemed to be more about getting old PCs past BIOS error, as in not caring about retaining the NVRAM data.

Oops...I was thinking of memory devices that use an external battery as backup. My bad. But all is not lost. Check out the big Tek 2465 thread....

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/tektronix-2465b-oscilloscope-teardown/

The late 2465B also used the Dallas chip. That thread gave info on copying the data to a new chip.
An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: modrobert

Offline modrobert

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1432 on: May 20, 2017, 07:32:27 pm »
Oops...I was thinking of memory devices that use an external battery as backup. My bad. But all is not lost. Check out the big Tek 2465 thread....

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/tektronix-2465b-oscilloscope-teardown/

The late 2465B also used the Dallas chip. That thread gave info on copying the data to a new chip.

Thanks, will check.

When the A2D board starts throwing up errors, you might be out a few $K . It will most likely happen

That was helpful in the spirit of my first request, thanks.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 07:40:25 pm by modrobert »

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1433 on: May 20, 2017, 07:47:52 pm »
Something old and something new, nothing borrowed, something blue..

My Tek A6302 current probe arrived ($180 shipped - yeah!) and I've been using it to play with my new R&S RTB2004.  I am in love with this scope!  It's way more scope that I need at this time but I could not pass up the promo package deal and I'm fortunate enough to be at a place in my life where I can afford to splurge if my addiction demands it.  >:D The joys of finding vintage, high performance test gear for a good price is another joy and this current probe so far seems to be excellent.

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline iainwhite

• Supporter
  • Measure twice...
« Reply #1434 on: May 20, 2017, 08:44:39 pm »
That R&S does look good.
I now have a serious case of Equipment Envy. 

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1435 on: May 20, 2017, 09:56:50 pm »

Should have had a blue trace - cool scope!

It's way more scope that I need at this time but I could not pass up the promo package deal and I'm fortunate enough to be at a place in my life where I can afford to splurge if my addiction demands it.

That's the excuse I use most often!  :-+

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #1436 on: May 21, 2017, 02:53:20 am »

My Tek A6302 current probe arrived ($180 shipped - yeah!) and I've been using it to play with my new R&S RTB2004.  I am in love with this scope!  It's way more scope that I need at this time but I could not pass up the promo package deal and I'm fortunate enough to be at a place in my life where I can afford to splurge if my addiction demands it.  >:D The joys of finding vintage, high performance test gear for a good price is another joy and this current probe so far seems to be excellent.

Words to live by - it is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.  Therefore, always err on the side of having it, just in case.   ;D

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1437 on: May 21, 2017, 04:55:23 am »

Words to live by - it is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.  Therefore, always err on the side of having it, just in case.   ;D

Yes, very true.  It also motivates me to learn more - my knowledge base needs to catch up to my test equipment!

Perhaps part of an TEA manifesto:

Though shalt always have more and better test equipment than one currently needs.    :D

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1438 on: May 21, 2017, 03:59:58 pm »
Let's play a game today -

Can you guess what is going on in this picture?  :popcorn:

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1439 on: May 21, 2017, 04:08:37 pm »
A cat?
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #1440 on: May 21, 2017, 04:10:15 pm »
Electronic equipments queuing up in front of the big flame in fire place, and waiting to be burned ?  :scared:

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1441 on: May 21, 2017, 04:16:55 pm »
A cat?

Electronic equipments queuing up in front of the big flame in fire place, and waiting to be burned ?  :scared:

No & no!  :)

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #1442 on: May 21, 2017, 04:48:54 pm »
A Cat Scan??
Sue AF6LJ

Online SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1443 on: May 21, 2017, 04:50:37 pm »
Dust removal with compressed air, from the storage tank above the cat perch.

Or you are doing some CATII testing, using an Aardvark protocol.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1444 on: May 21, 2017, 04:57:48 pm »
Gluing the wood pieces with the things on top used as weight to press down and hold pieces in place.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1445 on: May 21, 2017, 05:20:56 pm »
Gluing the wood pieces with the things on top used as weight to press down and hold pieces in place.

Getting warmer ...

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #1446 on: May 21, 2017, 05:25:04 pm »
Pressing flooring down ?  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1447 on: May 21, 2017, 05:27:10 pm »

Getting warmer ...

OK, then using the wood planks and weight on top to push down on wood floor pieces - perhaps warped or loose ones?

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #1448 on: May 21, 2017, 05:34:40 pm »
Flattening warped plastic shelves?

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1449 on: May 21, 2017, 06:17:31 pm »
Yeah, I'm thinking some kind of floor repair. The wood blocks would help concentrate the weight in a smaller area, so maybe re-gluing some loose floor planks or something?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf