Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14882418 times)

hua and 19 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #1450 on: May 21, 2017, 06:57:10 pm »
Flattening warped plastic shelves?

-Pat

We have a winner!  :clap:

A few months ago I bought one of those plastic shelving units w/ 5 shelves. Although it will store heavy weights, the shelves are sagging a bit and I do not like that. I had been wondering how to make it stronger. I pulled one of the snap-on end pieces off to inspect a channel in the middle that goes all the way across. It sure looked about the size of a 1x2, and sure enough when I got a piece to check it the fit was almost perfect and tight. I don't know if that was by design, but I'm going to make good use of that channel.

I'm fixin to go to the hardware store and buy 1x2 boards to cut to length and shove in that channel. Then I will put a couple of screws underneath each channel into the wood to keep it tight. That should eliminate much of the sagging.

Oh and what am I doing in the picture? I'm trying to reverse the sag by stretching them in the opposite direction before re-assembly. Since it's obvious to any TEA member what some of the equipment is in the picture being used as weights, it's another visual reinforcement of the term "boat anchor".  :P

Oh and the little animal by the fireplace other than the cats is an armadillo - not an aardvark. Didn't ya'll know I live in Texas?  8)

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1451 on: May 21, 2017, 07:11:46 pm »
Don't do the screws, that will be a stress point in the plastic, and it will crack from there. Rather just rely on the large surface area and friction to hold it in there.

Can't be Texas, there are no guns on the mantel............

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1452 on: May 22, 2017, 02:01:03 am »
I was sort of on the right track, just upside down.

I think the channel is oriented the wrong way for stiffening with wood, though it will surely be better. You might look for small angle iron or even rectangular aluminum tubing. I think I've seen that kind of stuff at Home Depot.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1453 on: May 22, 2017, 02:11:28 am »
Don't do the screws, that will be a stress point in the plastic, and it will crack from there. Rather just rely on the large surface area and friction to hold it in there.

OK I'm going to go with you on this one.  :phew:

Can't be Texas, there are no guns on the mantel............

Well, there's no mantel so ...  :)

I was sort of on the right track, just upside down.

I think the channel is oriented the wrong way for stiffening with wood, though it will surely be better. You might look for small angle iron or even rectangular aluminum tubing. I think I've seen that kind of stuff at Home Depot.

Yea it would be better oriented the other way but it's going to be a lot better than air.  :clap:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1454 on: May 22, 2017, 06:49:13 am »
Flattening warped plastic shelves?

-Pat

We have a winner!  :clap:

A few months ago I bought one of those plastic shelving units w/ 5 shelves. Although it will store heavy weights, the shelves are sagging a bit and I do not like that. I had been wondering how to make it stronger. I pulled one of the snap-on end pieces off to inspect a channel in the middle that goes all the way across. It sure looked about the size of a 1x2, and sure enough when I got a piece to check it the fit was almost perfect and tight. I don't know if that was by design, but I'm going to make good use of that channel.

I'm fixin to go to the hardware store and buy 1x2 boards to cut to length and shove in that channel. Then I will put a couple of screws underneath each channel into the wood to keep it tight. That should eliminate much of the sagging.

Oh and what am I doing in the picture? I'm trying to reverse the sag by stretching them in the opposite direction before re-assembly. Since it's obvious to any TEA member what some of the equipment is in the picture being used as weights, it's another visual reinforcement of the term "boat anchor".  :P

This just reinforces the fact that its better to buy old boatanchors rather than shiny new test grear. Sure it might not run at 20GS/s and have over 100M points of sample memory but it does do a great job at weighing things down. It keeps my rack nice and put where it is.

Then again once you get a high end enough scope they do become quite boat anchory...but at that point you have to sell your house to afford it so where are you gonna keep the new scope.

Offline Housedad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1455 on: May 22, 2017, 07:12:38 am »
OK, guys.  Here is your chance to "help" me out with my additction.  The withdrawel pains are too stong to withstand.  I have most of my bench set up and have been re-learning all the basics.  Anyway, I'll cut to the chase. 

What do you think would be more useful to me, a DER EE DE-5000 High Accuracy Handheld LCR Meter, or a zd-295 vacuum desoldering station?

I have money for only one of them.   I know they can both be so dang useful for repair, but I am lost in TEA confusion.  GAAA!
At least I'm still older than my test equipment

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1456 on: May 22, 2017, 07:44:58 am »
OK, guys.  Here is your chance to "help" me out with my additction.  The withdrawel pains are too stong to withstand.  I have most of my bench set up and have been re-learning all the basics.  Anyway, I'll cut to the chase. 

What do you think would be more useful to me, a DER EE DE-5000 High Accuracy Handheld LCR Meter, or a zd-295 vacuum desoldering station?

I have money for only one of them.   I know they can both be so dang useful for repair, but I am lost in TEA confusion.  GAAA!

I am guessing its for repairing old test gear. Id say a desoldering station is more valuable. The copper on old PCBs can be weak sometimes and sometimes boards also have internal layers. DIP chips are a huge pain to remove on those, caps are not that bad but still puts more stress that nececery on the PCB pads to "walk" it out by alternating between pins.

A precision LCR meter is not really that important of a tool for repair. You can get a cheap ESR tester to find bad caps. Or you can DIY your own by using a signal generator and oscilloscope together to send a test signal trough it.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1457 on: May 22, 2017, 11:45:57 am »

--> vacuum desoldering station <--

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1458 on: May 22, 2017, 01:32:02 pm »
What's a zd-295? Google and ebay can't find it.

Offline Housedad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1459 on: May 22, 2017, 01:43:34 pm »
The Gods Have Spoken!!!!

This train will pull into the desoldering station.   :-+

Now which one!!   The Aoyue 474A++ or the ZD-985?  I see that the Aoyue has a better rating on Amazon, but that doesn't really tell the reality.  Anything more expensive is out ofthe budget.

Offline Housedad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1460 on: May 22, 2017, 01:46:27 pm »
What's a zd-295? Google and ebay can't find it.

OOPS.  Sorry about that.  I had meant to type ZD-985..  This typing with one hand sucks. 

Offline t_ryner

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1461 on: May 23, 2017, 03:15:45 am »
Found this in the back of my chem class room (not mine  :'( ). However, I believe you guys would be interested in whatever this is. 
- https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0T3gelonW2VeHFDd25GT3VLN0U

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #1462 on: May 23, 2017, 03:44:18 am »
Neat! Does it still work?
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline t_ryner

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1463 on: May 23, 2017, 03:50:18 am »
Unfortunately we may never know. My HS is a split campus, and next year I will be going to the other campus. I have finals starting tomorrow through Friday and the last day on Tuesday next week, so there probably would not be time to mess with it. I assume it works, as it has no visible damage or dents and stuff. Would I be correct in guessing that this is an old oscilloscope?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1464 on: May 23, 2017, 03:56:21 am »
Correct. Looks like just one channel. Some info in this forum post (pertinent info quoted below the link):

http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=16445&pid=123279

Frequency Response of Vertical Amplifier: From 15 cycles/see
to 100 Kc/sec, flat within ±1 db; 6 db down at 250 Kc/sec; usable
to 1 Me/sec.

Maximum Vertical Deflection Sensitivity: 30 Millivolts RMS/
inch.

Frequency Response of Horizontal Amplifier: From 15 cycles/
see to 20 Kc, flat within ±1 db; 6 db down at 100 Kc/sec.

Maximum Horizontal Deflection Sensitivity: 0.7 volt RMS/inch.
Z-Axis Sensitivity (Voltage Required to Extinguish Beam):
20 volts RMS.

Calibrating Voltage (at 117.5 VAC power source): 1 volt pop
±10%.

Maximum Input Voltage: 400 volts peak.

Input Resistance: 0.1 Meg (at atten. x 1); 0.5 Meg (at atten. x 100).

Input Capacitance: 40 uuf (at atten. x 1); 35 uuf (at atten. x 100).

Sawtooth Sweep Range: 15 cycles/see to 80 Kc/sec.

Power Consumption (at 117.5 volts AC): 50 watts ±10%.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1465 on: May 27, 2017, 10:08:18 pm »
DC503A arrived the other day just got around to checking it out. Specs say up to 125 MHz but it's reading up to 170 MHz, off by 110 Hz (Agilent locked to GPSDO). For once I got one that seems to work, but then again I have nothing to fix this time either but we'll do a complete clean and cal on it anyway. I only paid $33 for this one!  :)

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #1466 on: May 28, 2017, 12:41:56 am »
The Gods Have Spoken!!!!

This train will pull into the desoldering station.   :-+

Now which one!!   The Aoyue 474A++ or the ZD-985?  I see that the Aoyue has a better rating on Amazon, but that doesn't really tell the reality.  Anything more expensive is out ofthe budget.

I have the ZD-985 and like it.  replacement parts and even a replacement gun can be had from MCM electronics.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #1467 on: May 31, 2017, 10:08:01 am »
I also have a zd 985 - I like it also - great price. I have had a bit of solder and stuff stuck in the main suction tube (the bit that gets hot) so reeming it out with the wire on a regular basis seems important. The solder trap in the back of the handgun also needs to be cleaned pretty often (after every 10-20 joints) I think.
Bits seem easy to get hold of in AUS as well. :-+
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 10:07:31 am by VK5RC »
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline xwarp

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1468 on: June 01, 2017, 09:55:01 am »
I have an addiction to test equipment......... :-//

I happened to pick up a really nice server rack that I have mounted my most used t.e. into.

Is it bad that I consider it a piece of furniture?

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1469 on: June 01, 2017, 10:13:02 am »
I have an addiction to test equipment......... :-//

I happened to pick up a really nice server rack that I have mounted my most used t.e. into.

If a dresser can be a piece of furniture why couldn't a 42U server rack be one. Sometimes i wish i had a bigger lab so i could put in another rack.

Oh and do take a photo of your fancy new rack once the equipment is in it.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1470 on: June 01, 2017, 07:26:18 pm »
My classic Tek scope probe acquisition affliction continues.  Just picked up an A6303 current probe for $150 shipped on eBay.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1471 on: June 01, 2017, 10:35:30 pm »

Test equipment has many euphemisms here: furniture, space heater, boat anchor, counter weight/balance, etc. It's all good. :-+

Offline pitagoras

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1472 on: June 01, 2017, 10:56:14 pm »

Obviously https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wife_acceptance_factor applies here, and probably the answer to your question is YES.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1473 on: June 02, 2017, 01:03:39 am »
Hello all - should have checked in sooner but I've been pre-occupied with a thread in the repair area. An FG 502 function generator. Threw me some fits but we got her going. The only other test equipment I have in the queue is a DC 503A counter. Looks like it works though so that one will just be a cosmetic clean up and cal. Only other toy coming is an El-Cheapo pen tablet so I can more accurately draw on the old scanned-in schematics. Using a mouse for that is too sucky.  :(

After that - it'll be time to go back to Ebay and grab more.  :-+

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #1474 on: June 02, 2017, 05:04:05 am »
LOL - I've managed to by and large stay away from the 'bay for the past few weeks.  Surprised I haven't gotten a wellness check from the UPS/FedEx guys...

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf