Author Topic: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread  (Read 14551055 times)

Eric-H, jazzmann and 16 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
Re: Test Equipment Anonymous (TEA) group therapy thread
« Reply #1150 on: April 21, 2017, 12:04:13 pm »
Warning to TEA members!

Facebook's plan to tap into our brains, fact-checked by a neuroscientist

Facebook wants a direct line into your brain.

As Recode reports, the company’s secretive R&D lab — known as Building 8 — is creating a “‘brain-computer speech-to-text interface,’ technology that’s supposed to translate your thoughts directly from your brain to a computer screen without any need for speech or fingertips.” It’s also interested in developing a “brain mouse,” where people could use their attention to move a cursor across the screen.

Facebook says the technology to turn thoughts to text will only pick up on the words you want to type, by detecting “activity in a very specific region of the brain where thoughts are translated into speech,” as Recode explains.

http://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/4/20/15332210/facebook-brain-interface

This is going in a dangerous direction. What if Ebay starts using this technology?  That would mean I could simply look at test equipment on Ebay and the slightest thought about wanting something would place it in my cart! We have enough trouble with this addiction already!  :palm:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #1151 on: April 21, 2017, 12:20:19 pm »
I thought this had been tried before - for controlling jet fighter aircraft and it was all undone but the fact that people daydream / go off at a mental tangent all the time - apparently even in a dogfight !!  :scared:
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #1152 on: April 21, 2017, 12:24:33 pm »
Warning to TEA members!

Facebook's plan to tap into our brains, fact-checked by a neuroscientist

Facebook wants a direct line into your brain.

As Recode reports, the company’s secretive R&D lab — known as Building 8 — is creating a “‘brain-computer speech-to-text interface,’ technology that’s supposed to translate your thoughts directly from your brain to a computer screen without any need for speech or fingertips.” It’s also interested in developing a “brain mouse,” where people could use their attention to move a cursor across the screen.

Facebook says the technology to turn thoughts to text will only pick up on the words you want to type, by detecting “activity in a very specific region of the brain where thoughts are translated into speech,” as Recode explains.

http://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/4/20/15332210/facebook-brain-interface

This is going in a dangerous direction. What if Ebay starts using this technology?  That would mean I could simply look at test equipment on Ebay and the slightest thought about wanting something would place it in my cart! We have enough trouble with this addiction already!  :palm:
You just imagine you have seven hundred million in your bank account....
Problem solved. ...
Sue AF6LJ

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1153 on: April 21, 2017, 04:57:17 pm »
Vintage equipment FAIL - vintage equipment FAIL - we have a problem!

Plug-ins are working but ...

Just discovered this AM. See pic, no explanation needed at this time - will advise as to solution in due time ...  :scared:

Where's my hammer ...
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline bitseekerTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #1154 on: April 21, 2017, 05:05:57 pm »
Thinks to self: "Aw, this power supply that arrived from eBay is missing some parts. I guess I need to find a parts mule, same model."

Computer: "A 'for parts, not working' one has been located for half the price of your current item, which aligns with your buying history for parts units. Your order has been placed. You're welcome."
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1155 on: April 21, 2017, 05:22:11 pm »

Just discovered this AM. See pic, no explanation needed at this time - will advise as to solution in due time ...  :scared:

Where's my hammer ...

It's a MAD, MAD world xrunner.   And the recent posts in this thread have cause a relapse of my latent MAD.

Pic below is on its way to me now.  I want need covet a TM501 for portable use of single modules but they're hard to find at a decent price. I have one now I got for $25 but it has a shorted transformer that I haven't gotten around to replacing yet.  This one showed up on my eBay watch list. It just happens to come with an AM503 module.  I guess, I have no choice except to start looking for suitable current probes now..  ::)

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline guido

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1156 on: April 21, 2017, 05:44:51 pm »
Good luck with that. They are hard to find as they are easy to break. Enough amplifiers around, but usually without probe. I have one with an AM503B. Nice to have available.

Got a TM503B today, thinking i would receive a TM5003. Bummer. Now i still need to do the conversion myself. Has the GPIB option which is handy. Easy to see why the seller made the mistake; no TM503B on the case anywhere and e.g. the tekwiki shows the wrong picture http://w140.com/tekwiki/wiki/TM5003  :palm:

So now i have TM502A, TM503, TM503B, TM504 with a number of plugins. The nice ones are FG5010, TG501 and this AM503B. The others are the standard stuff. Still no mainframe for the FG5010...

I'm using a 7612D digitizer as table and or foot rest (it's on a crate). Takes the term boat anchor to a whole new level  :P

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1157 on: April 21, 2017, 06:09:55 pm »
Good luck with that. They are hard to find as they are easy to break.

Yeah, i realize that. I'm in no hurry. As i said, the reason I bought it was for the TM501.

The reason I got into the 500 series module thing was because I wanted an AM502 differential amplifier. I have 3 of those now.. :-[

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1158 on: April 21, 2017, 06:23:10 pm »
Thinks to self: "Aw, this power supply that arrived from eBay is missing some parts. I guess I need to find a parts mule, same model."

Computer: "A 'for parts, not working' one has been located for half the price of your current item, which aligns with your buying history for parts units. Your order has been placed. You're welcome."

Yea I should have known what was coming ... parts mule just purchased.  :P

Oh and I've now torn off most of the panels and I can insert a module in parallel to the bent backplane. Oh gee, now look how far in the connector goes! Who would have thought it would work that nicely if all the parts were in alignment? Bonus: We now understand why the PS503 switch wasn't being pressed in all the way ...  :clap:

How far down the rabbit hole will this go. I think we know the answer to that question. The entire thing will be a pile of individual parts before this all ends.  :popcorn:

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #1159 on: April 21, 2017, 06:39:29 pm »
You have your work cut out for you....

A little fender and body work is good for the soul....
:)
Sue AF6LJ

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1160 on: April 21, 2017, 07:42:58 pm »

A little fender and body work is good for the soul....
:)

Just don't resort to the Widlar-izer.

The following users thanked this post: AF6LJ

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #1161 on: April 22, 2017, 12:02:38 am »

Where's my hammer ...

:-DD. See my sig...

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1162 on: April 22, 2017, 01:00:29 am »
Oh and I've now torn off most of the panels and I can insert a module in parallel to the bent backplane. Oh gee, now look how far in the connector goes! Who would have thought it would work that nicely if all the parts were in alignment? Bonus: We now understand why the PS503 switch wasn't being pressed in all the way ...  :clap:

Does that mean you don't need the little rubber cap hack anymore?

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1163 on: April 22, 2017, 01:11:26 am »
:-DD. See my sig...

-Pat

Ya I've seen it before.  :) And literally to fix the backplane brace I will hammer the dented part on my vise.  :horse:

Now what was I saying before about a rabbit hole? Look at the attachment. Now I need to replace the connector which is the one for the high power compartment. After an afternoon of research it appears that "JAMMA" connectors (Japan Arcade Machine Manufacturers' Association) are essentially the same dimensional connector which Tektronix used. In fact, I've seen people who made extenders using these same JAMMA connectors.

Also, I found a cool extender solution on Ebay that are made for people who fix arcade games which will extend the TM500 series boards - check it out -  :clap:

The cool thing about that is it's a flexible solution and better than a hard extender.

I ordered two JAMMA connectors which if I trim off the extended parts which are meant for screws I believe will be a drop-in replacement. But now I have to tear it apart even more because it is all wired up and isn't going to be a whole lot of fun to be able to get to that connector to unsolder.

Does that mean you don't need the little rubber cap hack anymore?

I believe that you will be correct, but it's gonna be just a little while before we will be able to say for sure ...
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 01:14:44 am by xrunner »

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1164 on: April 22, 2017, 12:25:23 pm »
Just break the contacts out and use a donor as contact material supply. A lot easier than unsoldering all those pins at the rear, just snap off the contacts or straighten them to match again.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1165 on: April 22, 2017, 12:42:33 pm »
Just break the contacts out and use a donor as contact material supply. A lot easier than unsoldering all those pins at the rear, just snap off the contacts or straighten them to match again.

Too much current went through them. Some are damaged, plus they aren't just going to come out of the green plastic even if unsoldered. Those pins will have been embedded in the plastic in the manufacturing process. To even have a chance of doing what you say you'd have to take the connector out and work on it, which, at that time, would be better to just replace it anyway.

Besides Sean, the point is, for me, to fix it properly, not to get it done fast. See, the thing you gotta understand is that I have all day to tinker with this stuff. Time is of no consequence whatsoever.  :)

Offline Housedad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1166 on: April 22, 2017, 06:09:04 pm »
Time?  You have Time?   No WAY!!  I'm retired and never have time.
At least I'm still older than my test equipment

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1167 on: April 22, 2017, 06:58:30 pm »
I have all day to tinker with this stuff. Time is of no consequence whatsoever.  :)

Oh man, what I would give to be able to say that!

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, bitseeker, Cubdriver

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1168 on: April 22, 2017, 09:01:33 pm »
OK, so replace the whole thing it is. Your time rather than part cost is a driver. Those pins IIRc in there are a clip in device, not a moulded in part, so they do come out with difficulty, which is why I suggested getting the pins out and not damaging the socket mount area, and then take a donor part and whip the BERG contact assemblies out of there by dastroying the plastic housing. Most I ever saw with them was a drop of epoxy used to hold the base in, never a moulded pin in there, they were always loose in the housing slightly.

Remember these were made in a mould, and either were injection moulded or powder pressed and cured, so they had to get the base flat to hold the pins, and there is no way with doing this in a mould with pins as part of the assembly.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1169 on: April 22, 2017, 11:55:12 pm »
OK, so replace the whole thing it is. Your time rather than part cost is a driver. Those pins IIRc in there are a clip in device, not a moulded in part, so they do come out with difficulty, which is why I suggested getting the pins out and not damaging the socket mount area, and then take a donor part and whip the BERG contact assemblies out of there by dastroying the plastic housing.

I was able to remove the socket after a few hours of work. Had to remove a lot more hardware and wiring to get to it than I anticipated (but remember time is of little consequence to me  :)). After I removed it I was able to take out some of the damaged pins. It is true they were not molded in, but there would have been no way to remove them in any case because of the way they were crimped at the bottom. Even with the connector completely removed, after pressing the crimp flat it was very difficult to remove the pins.

But I was able to get them out after removal. They were damaged by a lot of current. Some time in the distant past somebody did a no-no. In fact, if you look at the far right pin, you can see a pad from a plug-in pcb actually welded to the pin (neither of the two units that came with it were contributors to the spot welding).

In any case, it was a successful surgery. I have ordered several JAMMA 56p pcb connectors and from all the research it looks like they will fit. All I have to do is cut off the two ends with the screw holes.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1170 on: April 23, 2017, 12:33:41 am »
Wow, that's quite a welding job someone did there. I wonder what module was involved in that overload. Other than a power supply, is there something else that might pull so much current?

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1171 on: April 23, 2017, 12:55:08 am »
Wow, that's quite a welding job someone did there. I wonder what module was involved in that overload. Other than a power supply, is there something else that might pull so much current?

Clue #1 - it's the High Power compartment. It's the High Power compartment because, well, it can furnish more. It's hard to say what someone did - you know people can do some really dumb things (I know because I've done plenty myself). It also could have been a failed plug-in. Any plug in can go in the High Power slot, but of course it won't draw more power just because it's there.

The PS503 et. al. is designed to take advantage of extra pins on the back plane - I'd have to check the drawings to see what is furnished. There are fuses as well behind that backplane but all are OK ...

I do remember using these for years in industry that we had a lot of issues with the pads on the plug-ins getting dirty. We'd pull them out and push them back in (well I saw others slam them back in  :() till the connections were made. I do remember cleaning the pads on the units, but I do not remember that we ever cleaned the backplane connector. Unfortunately, for the components, when you can just go to the test equipment room and get another one, little care is given to them out there in the field. You had better things to do like performing the testing.

It's possible that a plug in had some dirty contacts and presented a high resistance connection, while at the same time drawing a lot of current through it. Some plug-in may have been in that slot for years, had some abuse, and when finally removed took out all those pins. We'll never know I suppose...  :-//

Offline Housedad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1172 on: April 23, 2017, 02:12:45 am »
Xrunner- Would this be a suitable replacement for those card edge connectors?  It looks like it may be.    Take a look at the data sheet and the order codes on it and see if it would work.  At least it is the right manufacturer and color.  Digikey has them in stock.

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/edac-inc/305-056-520-201/151-1268-ND/1291599

« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 02:14:39 am by Housedad »
At least I'm still older than my test equipment

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1173 on: April 23, 2017, 02:27:25 am »
Xrunner- Would this be a suitable replacement for those card edge connectors?  It looks like it may be.    Take a look at the data sheet and the order codes on it and see if it would work.  At least it is the right manufacturer and color.  Digikey has them in stock.

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/edac-inc/305-056-520-201/151-1268-ND/1291599

Thanks, I'm intrigued. I did a lot of research and nobody ever indicated the same EDAC connector was still made.

The part number on the connector I removed is:

303-056-520-301

I'm looking at the codes here -

http://www.edac.net/dat/files/96.pdf

the last 3 digits are of concern (301 vs 201) mainly the card depth dimension, and the first 3 are not listed on that data sheet (303). But, I commend you for that find, and I will devote time in the morning to see if I can justify an order, meaning I'll see if what Digikey offers can be a viable substitute.

Many thanks!  :-+

Edit: When I search for my part - 303-056-520-301 Digikey does not find it. But that does not mean something can come close.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 04:08:06 am by xrunner »

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #1174 on: April 23, 2017, 03:03:10 am »
I would imagine a blown tantalum on a module input power rail, still i would check the fuse to make sure its not way over rated,

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf