Author Topic: The Art of Electronics 3rd edition - author response  (Read 95335 times)

Offline SnakeBiteTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • OBSESSED MODDER
The Art of Electronics 3rd edition - author response
« on: May 20, 2011, 11:41:39 am »
i read a lot of times in the internet about THE ART OF ELECTRONICS third edition that it SHOULD be out soon (i think the first time anyone talked about it, it was meant to be published in 2006)
so i contact one of the authors -Winfield Hill and ask him about it.

this is a copy of my email message:

ido aricha wrote:
> i have read on the internet that you planning to publish the new
> edition for the Art of Electronics and i wondered when it going to be
> published ?
>
> thanks
>
> Ido,Israel
>

We're working full-time on the 3rd edition, and are more
  than 2/3 through so far, and hope to see it out this year,
  although it may slip a bit.  We're still inviting suggestions
  for new material, etc.   Thanks for your interest.

--
    - Win

Winfield Hill
Rowland Institute at Harvard
100 Edwin Land Blvd
Cambridge, MA  02142

617-497-4670

too bad it taking so long...i mean , i want up to date book but i think that there is no limit to the modern electronics development and if they always want the best up to date book it will never be published....

Ido
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 11:49:41 am by SnakeBite »
Ido Aricha , Israel.

Offline Excavatoree

• Frequent Contributor
Re: The Art of Electronics 3rd edition
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 11:43:26 am »
If I understood Dave correctly, in one of his blogs, he stated that the 3rd edition was to be supplemental - that is, you still want the 2nd edition as well.

Does anyone know if this is still the author's plan?

• Regular Contributor
  • OBSESSED MODDER
Re: The Art of Electronics 3rd edition - author response
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 12:00:09 pm »
If I understood Dave correctly, in one of his blogs, he stated that the 3rd edition was to be supplemental - that is, you still want the 2nd edition as well.

Does anyone know if this is still the author's plan?

i have sent him you question.
when i'll get an answer i will post it here.

Ido
Ido Aricha , Israel.

• Regular Contributor
  • OBSESSED MODDER
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 03:54:22 pm »
here is his official response :

> thanks for the quick response.
>
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3473.msg46226#msg46226>
> opened a discotion on your book in the EEVBLOG (stands for "electronics
> engineering video blog") forum here:
>
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3473.msg46226#msg46226
>
> many people around the world are waiting for the book to be published.
>
> there was a question there about the book:
>
> is the 2nd edition a supplemental to the 3rd edition?

Please post his answer for us:

No, hah!  It's certainly not just a supplement!
  It stands on its own, very much a new book; some
  old stuff is kept, but sadly much of the really
  great 2nd-edition stuff is tossed to make room
  (even tho the 3rd ed has a larger page size,
  wider columns, a smaller font and more pages).

Most of you will want to keep your 2nd edition
  (or get hold of a used copy someplace).

Brand new important chapters on precision
  circuits, low-noise (loads of new material,
  secret replacements found for discontinued
  low-noise parts, with extensive measurements
  and analysis).  A/D and D/A converters.  Five
  logic & microcontroller chapters, including new
  detailed interfacing digital to the real world.

Awesome new "x" chapters added after regular
  chapters, with extended, advanced material.
  E.g., Chapter 1x after intro Chapter 1, with
  new "properties of components," including lab
  measurements you need, not available elsewhere.

Chapter 2x, with advanced BJT stuff.  3x after
  the regular chapter 3 (FETs), full of advanced
  JFET and MOSFET info.  Chapter 4x, advanced
  opamp stuff, tables, measurements, the works.
  Chapter 9x after ch 9, advanced power stuff.

20 chapters in all (2nd ed had 15 chapters).

- Win

Ido
Ido Aricha , Israel.

Alex

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 04:12:42 pm »
Yeap, sounds like Winfield to me!

Offline Excavatoree

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 04:23:56 pm »
Thanks for getting that cleared up.

It looks like I'll want to own both.

EDIT: Crap, I think Dave said "complimentary" not "supplementary."

Well, my point should have been that it is not necessary to own both, but not redundant to own both, either. 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 08:49:45 pm by Excavatoree »

Offline Lance

• Frequent Contributor
  • Resistance if futile if R<1Ohm
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 08:10:53 pm »
I have an idea. Have a huge edition available with everything in it.
#include "main.h"
//#include <killallhumans.h>

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 11:49:28 pm »
Yes, Win has always said it will a lot of the old material, so it's good to have both editions.
Thanks for the info.

Dave.

Offline domm123

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 12:18:47 am »
Hmm, I'm thinking of getting a south asia edition which is so much cheaper than the us edition..
about $31usd shipped for the book + student manual  ;D
http://www.indiabookmart.com/searchResult.asp?ddwBook=title&searchtxtval=art+of+electronics&image.x=0&image.y=0&txtsearchType=1

http://aj4om.com/?m=201101
Pictures from the blog:

Offline sacherjj

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2011, 12:31:00 am »
I ordered the one from India a week or so ago.  Should be here next week.  I'll post my feelings on that edition.

Offline joelby

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 01:14:32 am »
Cool, I found it on abebooks.com, which is at least searched by booko.com.au, which means that some other people must have heard of it before!

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2011, 06:50:08 am »
Hmm, I'm thinking of getting a south asia edition which is so much cheaper than the us edition..
i suggest you make a stronger binding for the book before the pages tear apart. the glueing is not so strong. i did "A" to strengten it. the "B" showing the scared lamination, its really vurnerable, so handle your book with care. cant remember what cause it, heat or sticked to something else cant remember. and you'll notice the paper used inside is kind of recycled paper and very thin. but i'm happy with it as its cheap, what matters to me is the content, and i dont give a sh*t on aesthetic as long as the contents are intact... hence the DIY binding you see in "A" (its non aligned hole is worst at the front page, but i took the back picture to show you "B" as well)
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 05:51:12 am »
Being the classic it is, printed on acid free paper would help.  My book pages are turning yellow.

It may be helpful to retitle the original as Volume 1, and the 3rd Edition as Volume 2.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline sacherjj

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2011, 11:42:01 pm »
Mine arrived today and looks exactly line the others prior in this thread.  I agree that the binding will need work to keep together with much use.  Mine was a used book when I got it, so there is a small tear already at the binding.   

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2011, 02:50:49 pm »
www indiabookmart com

3rd week gone and still waiting. Granted, shipping from India may take a while.

Offline sacherjj

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2011, 03:56:27 pm »

Mine was shipped DHL and arrived fairly fast.  Although they shipped it in a plastic bag envelope, so the binding was busted a little.  I would rather slower and less damage, so maybe it will be a good thing for the speed.

Offline ndictu

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2011, 04:03:27 pm »

Me too, I ordered them on 24th May. I sent them a mail today about it, no response yet (it was already pretty late in India when I sent it so I'm hoping for a response tomorrow). Paypal gives me 45 days to get my money back so I think I'm going to give them until 24th June.

Offline hannobisschoff

• Contributor
  • I get high on solder fumes.
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2011, 04:08:20 pm »
Aww man! This is awesome, I got the book yesteraday, and now I read about it on the blog.
Looks like a good, informative, and long read.

Offline hannobisschoff

• Contributor
  • I get high on solder fumes.
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2011, 04:44:26 pm »
Aww man! This is awesome, I got the book yesteraday, and now I read about it on the blog.
Looks like a good, informative, and long read.
I'm talking about the second edition of course

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2011, 07:21:48 pm »
Paypal gives me 45 days to get my money back so I think I'm going to give them until 24th June.
by raising to dispute, you'll have another extra 20 days, before raising it to claim, in case the item still not arrive.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline ndictu

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2011, 09:06:14 pm »
Paypal gives me 45 days to get my money back so I think I'm going to give them until 24th June.
by raising to dispute, you'll have another extra 20 days, before raising it to claim, in case the item still not arrive.

Thanks, good to know. But I hope it doesn't come to that, I don't have very good experience with PayPal's customer support.

My old account got flagged for suspicious activity (nothing really happened, I just used it few times one day) so I went through all the changing passwords, security questions (up to this point I was actually impressed by how seriously they take the security and didn't mind it at all), then uploading a scan of my passport and monthly statement from bank to prove my identity etc. but they wouldn't verify that. That was the step that required human looking on that scan and clicking a button, but for some reason that never happened. So I tried contacting them, but let me just tell you, don't even bother.

There is a contact form where you select your problem from a list and get an automated response that is pretty much just copied entry from the FAQ. My problem wasn't there so I picked "Other", filled out what was going on and of course I get the standard FAQ response telling me to upload scanned documents, which I already did and did state so in the contact form. So I write again, starting in full caps that I need a human not FAQ entry, giving them the ID of the last support ticket. And I did get a human response. One paragraph, like "Hi my name is ... paypal takes very seriously ... we are sorry for the inconvenience ... " the standard avoiding problem bullshit, and after that, the same damn FAQ entry as the last time.

Of course you can't do anything until you are verified, not even close the account. Luckily for me, the next month my credit card expired, got a new one and made a new account. That one is still pending on my scanned documents.

Woo, got a little ranty here, sorry :)

Uncle Vernon

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2011, 10:02:22 pm »
My old account got flagged for suspicious activity (nothing really happened, I just used it few times one day) so I went through all the changing passwords, security questions (up to this point I was actually impressed by how seriously they take the security and didn't mind it at all)
Via an e-mail?

then uploading a scan of my passport and monthly statement from bank to prove my identity etc. but they wouldn't verify that. That was the step that required human looking on that scan and clicking a button, but for some reason that never happened. So I tried contacting them, but let me just tell you, don't even bother.
Are you sure it's Paypal and your not being scammed? Uploads of a passport? You don't need that to open an account, why would the need it now? Check carefully where you've been uploading to.

Offline ndictu

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2011, 10:34:44 pm »
Via an e-mail?
Huh?

Are you sure it's Paypal and your not being scammed? Uploads of a passport? You don't need that to open an account, why would the need it now? Check carefully where you've been uploading to.
Dude, I'm not retarded :) Since they thought someone had my password and used my account they required me to verify my identity somehow. You don't need that when opening account because you are going to enter your credit card info, either you own the card so it's fine, or you stole it but then you can use it even without paypal. However, in my case the credit card details were already there, ready to be used, and the potential attacker could use my card to make payments so until I verified my identity the account was frozen.

Now, this is, in my opinion, a great thing. However, when I used the form in resolution center and uploaded scanned documents with my name and address several times, and it still says "pending for review", and the only response I can get from them is a FAQ entry saying "upload document in the resolution center for review" then it kind of sucks.

Uncle Vernon

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2011, 11:14:23 pm »
Via an e-mail?
Huh?
Seemed a simple enough question? Contacted you via e-mail, phone call, public shouting, courier pigeon?

Dude, I'm not retarded :)
I never made that accusation. Some of the scams I see bombarding us are now becoming increasing sophisticated and authentic in appearance. As for sending scanned copies of documents, where is that file now? Is it the only copy? If identity thieves get a hold of that plus publicly available details they have scored a home run.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2011, 02:27:17 am »
to get the picture... i frequently got an email saying my bank account is suspiciously being hacked. and in the email they provided the link to log in to confirm your identity. sure you can click on the link. but when the new windows popped up, if you check the address above, its not https:\\www.mybank.com, but instead http:\\www.scammersite\readytoread\andhack\yourpassword.com. the interface is 100% identical as the real bank site. once you entered your password, it will be stored in the scammers database ready to be processed/hack in the line. and the next thing you see on the screen, is some excuse like "oh sorry f*ck! we cannot process your password!" got it? the solution is, always change your password from time to time, it will make your previous password useless to the cracker.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 02:29:41 am by Mechatrommer »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf