Author Topic: The Art of Electronics 3rd edition - author response  (Read 95374 times)

Offline ndictu

• Regular Contributor
Re: The Art of Electronics 3rd edition - author response
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2011, 09:14:40 am »
Seemed a simple enough question? Contacted you via e-mail, phone call, public shouting, courier pigeon?
Oh right, didn't get that. Anyway, it was some time ago so I'm not sure if I got a warning mail, probably yes. But after logging in it took me through the verification process. Yes, it was paypal website, with valid certificate. And there wasn't no activity on that credit card either.

I never made that accusation. Some of the scams I see bombarding us are now becoming increasing sophisticated and authentic in appearance. As for sending scanned copies of documents, where is that file now? Is it the only copy? If identity thieves get a hold of that plus publicly available details they have scored a home run.
I know you didn't, just kidding. Yes there are sophisticated scams, but I do not know of anyone with quantum computer that can break paypal's certificate private key. (Although, some cheap cert authorities will sign anything, I saw a blog post where someone got google.com signed for a few bucks. Yes, that CA was/is probably in your browser's root list. That's why you should  check every cert you use, or remove some CAs from the root list.)

About the documents, no idea where they are. I just checked my scanned images and since I don't scan much stuff I was able to find that, looks like I only went with the bank statement (you could do either, or even utility bills or something) so no passport. I blacked out my transactions, left only the relevant stuff.

The account is dead, since I can't even close it. The files are probably living on some paypal server, waiting for review ... Maybe they automatically delete them after some time, no idea. There still might be backups of it that will stay forever but I wouldn't bother backing this up, no idea what they policies are.

But I couldn't care less, they have my name, address (which you could get from whois on a domain I own, dozens of online shops know it, ...) and info about expired credit card. That is all worthless information so I just let it go, made a new account with new card and try to avoid "suspicious activity" like you know, buying stuff :)

to get the picture... i frequently got an email saying my bank account is suspiciously being hacked. and in the email they provided the link to log in to confirm your identity. sure you can click on the link. but when the new windows popped up, if you check the address above, its not https:\\www.mybank.com, but instead http:\\www.scammersite\readytoread\andhack\yourpassword.com. the interface is 100% identical as the real bank site. once you entered your password, it will be stored in the scammers database ready to be processed/hack in the line. and the next thing you see on the screen, is some excuse like "oh sorry f*ck! we cannot process your password!" got it? the solution is, always change your password from time to time, it will make your previous password useless to the cracker.
Yeah, this is still a big thing, especially for not very savvy users. Browsers try to warn you if you are entering password over http, if the certificate isn't valid, or is self-signed. I think gmail warns you if the mailserver the message came from and the sender header don't match. But it is still a pretty easy think to do.

Offline hannobisschoff

• Contributor
  • I get high on solder fumes.
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2011, 09:33:06 am »
how is it possible that I find the low price edition in a university bookshop in South Africa. But the books have to be imported by some of the people who live in well developed countries.

Offline ndictu

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2011, 01:22:49 pm »
how is it possible that I find the low price edition in a university bookshop in South Africa. But the books have to be imported by some of the people who live in well developed countries.

Good for you, around here it is hard to get original books. For example, about 99% books about computer science / programming are translated. The selection of originals isn't very good either, but the translations make it worse. Since it takes them forever to translate it the technology they are describing is already obsolete when it comes to the stores. They also refuse to use English terminology, and let's face it, programming is an English field. They use translated names and acronyms, often different between translators and if you learn that you are unable to find what you need on the web.

Not that familiar with electronics books, since I just got interested in that recently but I don't remember ever seeing an original book on that either.

Most original, untranslated books are the learning English stories from Oxford press where you have classical stories/novels, written in different levels (..., 500 words, 1k words, ... vocabularies)

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2011, 09:58:46 am »
Hmm, I'm thinking of getting a south asia edition which is so much cheaper than the us edition..
about $31usd shipped for the book + student manual  ;D
www indiabookmart com

3rd week gone and still waiting. Granted, shipping from India may take a while.

Escalating to a claim today since the seller did not contact me.

Offline ndictu

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2011, 12:16:01 pm »

Tomorrow will be 30 days since my order and I still didn't receive either the book or email response so probably will do the same thing. Please let me know how it went.

Offline joelby

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2011, 05:31:56 am »
Mine hasn't shown up either, five and a half weeks on. I ordered it from BookVistas.com via Abebooks.com.

I just checked the Abebooks.com order status page and it says, "Availability Confirmed - the bookseller has confirmed your order and will ship it upon processing or receipt of payment". I've written to ask what is going on. Terrible!

Offline joelby

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2011, 07:34:19 am »
Ah, BookVistas responded very quickly and say that it has aleady been dispatched and to let them know if it still hasn't arrived in one week's time. The postal service out of India may just be incredibly slow!

Offline ndictu

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2011, 08:10:10 am »
Ah, BookVistas responded very quickly and say that it has aleady been dispatched and to let them know if it still hasn't arrived in one week's time. The postal service out of India may just be incredibly slow!

Please let us know when/if you receive the books, I might re-order from them. Currently I'm waiting with my PayPal claim for the seller to respond, but since they managed to ignore my mails for a month I don't think they will. They have 3 more days, I'm guessing then it gets closed in my favor.

Offline joelby

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2011, 08:13:05 am »
Sure thing.

It's unusual that they haven't responded to you, but replied to me so quickly!

Offline ndictu

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2011, 09:15:39 am »
Sure thing.

It's unusual that they haven't responded to you, but replied to me so quickly!

I ordered from IndiaBookMart, not BookVistas.

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2011, 10:22:16 am »
PayPal:

"We have concluded our investigation into your case and have decided in your
favor.

We were able to recover $30,06 USD and this amount has been credited to
you.  Please allow five business days for this adjustment to be posted."

Guess I'll stick to Amazon in the future.

Offline ndictu

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2011, 11:18:07 am »
Good to see. I should get that soon, seller has until today to respond which I'm guessing they aren't planning to do.

I'll probably order the real thing in hardcover from amazon or bookdepository.

Offline ndictu

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2011, 09:38:13 pm »
Just go my mail from PayPal, exact same message. This sure makes me like PayPal much more after that blocked account thing.

I already have both the book on their way from Amazon but it was about twice as expensive and it'll be here in about 2 weeks. Had I know this back then I could've ordered from them in the first place and have them delivered long time ago.

Offline joelby

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2011, 03:20:59 am »
My 2nd edition from Abebooks finally arrived today! I wrote again to enquire and the company sent a new copy on the 28th of July. Who knows what happened to the original delivery :(

Anyway, the book looks great and like others have mentioned, even though it was packed well enough, it arrived looking a little battered. This was mainly because it was packed in cardboard and then bound in twine, which made some large dents on the cover, which seems like it was a bit dodgy to start with. I'm not bothered - it's a bit like buying pre-worn jeans. You don't want to put a textbook on your bookshelf and have it look like you've never cracked it open!

Offline johnboxall

• Supporter
  • You do nothing, you get nothing.
    • Books, services and more:
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2011, 05:19:49 am »
Hmm, I'm thinking of getting a south asia edition which is so much cheaper than the us edition..
about $31usd shipped for the book + student manual  ;D
www indiabookmart com

3rd week gone and still waiting. Granted, shipping from India may take a while.

Me too. After placing an order they emailed to confirm the shipping address, then nothing for one month. Emailed them on all the addresses they used, no reply. Have an open Paypal dispute now.

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2011, 02:01:12 am »
Any updates?  I'm late to this thread, but would love to pick up the book and student manual for a song!

Offline johnboxall

• Supporter
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2011, 02:04:20 am »
Any updates?  I'm late to this thread, but would love to pick up the book and student manual for a song!

Try at your own risk. Paypal gave me a refund after the seller did not respond to dispute.

Offline joelby

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2011, 03:01:22 am »
If you're not in a hurry, then I don't think you've got a lot to lose.

I can recommend using BookVistas via AbeBooks - while my first delivery went missing, they were responsive and sent a second via registered mail.

Offline johnboxall

• Supporter
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2011, 03:23:08 am »
If you're not in a hurry, then I don't think you've got a lot to lose.
I can recommend using BookVistas via AbeBooks - while my first delivery went missing, they were responsive and sent a second via registered mail.

Great news - thanks for that. Will give them a try and report back.

Offline igorbog

• Contributor
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2011, 07:29:24 pm »
Please suggest me a webstore where I can order this book? thanks

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2011, 08:00:51 pm »

The third edition is not out yet. You need to search for the second edition.

Offline metalphreak

• Frequent Contributor
  • http://d.av.id.au
    • D.av.id.AU
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2011, 03:58:47 am »
Ah but you guys are missing out on the awesome shiny silver cover of the hardcover edition  :P

Offline igorbog

• Contributor
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2011, 08:54:49 am »

The third edition is not out yet. You need to search for the second edition.

I asked about 2-nd edition. I cant find it on web international shipping(to Israel)

Offline ElektroQuark

• Supporter
    • ElektroQuark
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2011, 09:14:47 am »
Try www.amazon.co.uk
DonĀ“t know if they ship to Israel...

Offline metalphreak

• Frequent Contributor
  • http://d.av.id.au
    • D.av.id.AU
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2011, 09:41:37 am »
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Art-Electronics-Paul-Horowitz/9780521370950

They ship to Israel (do note its the hardcover so its not cheap. They don't sell the cheaper international version)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf