Author Topic: The Art of Electronics 3rd edition finished writing and copy-editing  (Read 94731 times)

Offline Dr. Frank

• Super Contributor
Re: The Art of Electronics 3rd edition finished writing and copy-editing
« Reply #100 on: March 28, 2015, 04:23:13 pm »
Amazon changed date to 15th of April.   :-+
Price is still 66.95€  :-+ :-+
Preordered in January

Frank  8)

Offline SteveyG

• Supporter
  • Soldering Equipment Guru
« Reply #101 on: March 30, 2015, 10:04:50 am »
Mine arrived on Saturday!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/sdgelectronics/
Use code: “SDG5” to get 5% off JBC Equipment at Kaisertech

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #102 on: April 01, 2015, 07:45:59 am »
I have just been notified by Amazon that mine has been dispatched :)

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
« Reply #103 on: April 01, 2015, 12:08:41 pm »
I sure hope there's just a little little bit of padding material in the parcel. I think it's the one thing that really pisses me off with Amazon.

Offline Tallie

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #104 on: April 01, 2015, 04:01:04 pm »
Why is it so much cheaper in Europe? 66 euros? 76 euros? That's roughly 30 dollars cheaper than Amazon.com is listing it for.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105 on: April 01, 2015, 04:08:01 pm »
Finally something that is cheaper here than in the US most stuff esp. Home electronics is much cheaper in the US  ;)

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
« Reply #106 on: April 01, 2015, 04:14:45 pm »
Why is it so much cheaper in Europe? 66 euros? 76 euros? That's roughly 30 dollars cheaper than Amazon.com is listing it for.
Well, the publisher is British.

The Book Depository (based in the UK but now owned by Amazon) is currently selling it for $89 with free worldwide delivery.

Offline Tallie

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #107 on: April 01, 2015, 04:33:55 pm »
Well, the publisher is British.

The Book Depository (based in the UK but now owned by Amazon) is currently selling it for $89 with free worldwide delivery.
Thanks!

Offline andersm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #108 on: April 01, 2015, 05:15:11 pm »
The Book Depository (based in the UK but now owned by Amazon)
Wait, what? I did not know that. Yet their prices are consistently cheaper than buying from Amazon. I feel like I've been Marketed to.

Online sean0118

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #109 on: April 01, 2015, 11:55:44 pm »
Gee the price of this book changes by the hour, investors will start speculating soon.   

I got a copy for $104AU from Fishpond, it then went down to about $100AU, now it's at $126AU!!! So now Book Depository is cheaper again at $120AU  :o

Online sean0118

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #110 on: April 02, 2015, 05:03:05 am »
Just a question, from looking at the table of contents there is a section on switching power supplies. Did the 2nd edition have this as well?

3rd Ed. Table of Contents: http://artofelectronics.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/AoE_3e_table-of-contents.pdf

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111 on: April 02, 2015, 05:47:58 am »
Just a question, from looking at the table of contents there is a section on switching power supplies. Did the 2nd edition have this as well?

3rd Ed. Table of Contents: http://artofelectronics.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/AoE_3e_table-of-contents.pdf

Very briefly. Basic operation is explained, but there isn't enough detail on how to actually design one.

Offline timofonic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eternal Wannabe Geek
« Reply #112 on: April 02, 2015, 09:26:41 am »
Is the bold part still true?

Are there plans for translations to other languages such as Spanish?

Hello all,

I just emailed Winfield Hill about the status of the third edition of Art of Electronics and they've finished writing it.  They now in typesetting and it should be published by late spring/early summer next year (May 2014).

And it sounds like there will be a second volume to contain all the new material that wouldn't fit in the main work at a future date.

Hello Mr. Hill,

I hope everything is going well for you this year.  I wanted to write once again to ask about the progress of the third edition of Art of Electronics.  When we spoke last year you said you were planning on cutting off writing new material at some point last year if the writing didn't finish soon. Have you finished writing and moved on to editing yet? 

Several people have contacted the publisher and have gotten responses to expect the book sometime around May 2014 (so a manuscript has been submitted and everyone is well into editing), but to me that feels like researcher's saying a new technology, like graphene transistors or brain to pc interfaces, should hit the market in the next 5-10 years. A great image, but not likely.

Where do you see the book in the pipeline? I'd like to share your opinion with the community again.

The complete 15-chapter book has gone through copy-
 editing and we're doing our review pass now.  Then on
 to typesetting (editing of our TEX text, figure placement,
 etc) and then galleys, etc.   So next spring looks good.

They will be an additional five chapter eXtension
 H&H AoE "x-chapter" book following in about a year
 with new advance materials.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #113 on: April 02, 2015, 10:54:48 am »
Very briefly. Basic operation is explained, but there isn't enough detail on how to actually design one.

To me that's not a problem. The virtue of TAoE is that it gives you enough information that you can understand a very wide range of topics in sufficient detail that
  • you know whether you can ignore the topic, or need to understand it (see comment below)
  • you can understand where the dragons lie
  • when you are "surprised", you have a starting point for figuring out how to remove the surprise
  • most importantly, you know the questions you need to ask and answer when you delve into the topic
There's no way any one book could teach you the depth of all the topics, and there's no need for that anyway! There are many many detailed topics very readily available on the web.

Nowadays the key learning skill is being albe to quickly decide which information you can safely ignore. Before the web the key skill was in being able to glean the maximum from whatever information you could locate.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Blofeld

• Regular Contributor
  • Diamonds Are Forever
« Reply #114 on: April 02, 2015, 11:33:15 am »

Kind of true. I don't have the book yet, but in the freely available chapter 9 there are a few references like "We explore this important topic further in §9x.4".

So I guess the structure of this X-File book is already fixed. However, in the post where Hill released chapter 9, the planned date "about a year" has changed to "in a few years".
My site www.wisewarthog.com and my Youtube channel (in progress). Links and reviews of books and free stuff.

Offline timofonic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eternal Wannabe Geek
« Reply #115 on: April 02, 2015, 12:25:29 pm »

Kind of true. I don't have the book yet, but in the freely available chapter 9 there are a few references like "We explore this important topic further in §9x.4".

So I guess the structure of this X-File book is already fixed. However, in the post where Hill released chapter 9, the planned date "about a year" has changed to "in a few years".

It's a shame it took so many years to finish and they do this. They wmshould have divided the book in two or more volumes and merge the student manual with it.

Online sean0118

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #116 on: April 02, 2015, 01:01:16 pm »

Ok thanks, I guess there is no rush for me to get the 2nd edition then.  ;)

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #117 on: April 02, 2015, 03:17:46 pm »
It arrived today, so I will be a bit distracted for the rest of Easter.

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #118 on: April 02, 2015, 04:33:01 pm »

To me that's not a problem. The virtue of TAoE is that it gives you enough information that you can understand a very wide range of topics in sufficient detail that
  • you know whether you can ignore the topic, or need to understand it (see comment below)
  • you can understand where the dragons lie
  • when you are "surprised", you have a starting point for figuring out how to remove the surprise
  • most importantly, you know the questions you need to ask and answer when you delve into the topic
There's no way any one book could teach you the depth of all the topics, and there's no need for that anyway! There are many many detailed topics very readily available on the web.

Nowadays the key learning skill is being albe to quickly decide which information you can safely ignore. Before the web the key skill was in being able to glean the maximum from whatever information you could locate.

It wasn't a criticism. I was merely answering the question.

Offline Tallie

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #119 on: April 02, 2015, 09:29:21 pm »
What is going on with this book... just shot up from $88 to $110 on bookdepository... shouldn't have waited, I guess.

Offline elgonzo

• Supporter
« Reply #120 on: April 02, 2015, 09:33:18 pm »
What is going on with this book... just shot up from $88 to $110 on bookdepository... shouldn't have waited, I guess.
Strange, for me it still shows USD$82.16, which includes a 7% discount... (I have not created an account there.)

Offline Tallie

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #121 on: April 02, 2015, 09:35:44 pm »
Strange, for me it still shows USD$82.16, which includes a 7% discount... (I have not created an account there.)
Very strange indeed. Still showing $110 for me. I think we should start speculating... as someone else suggested.

Offline elgonzo

• Supporter
« Reply #122 on: April 02, 2015, 09:39:26 pm »
Very strange indeed. Still showing $110 for me. I think we should start speculating... as someone else suggested.
Well, if i switch to Australian Dollar, then it will show $108 :)

Offline isomorph

« Reply #123 on: April 08, 2015, 10:53:05 pm »
Hi all, this was the thread I was following in anticipation for the book release, admittedly only a reader and not a member of the forums here. Just wanted to say thanks to all those that shared updates and other information. I per-ordered my book back in November 2014 from Amazon.ca, and it arrive yesterday,  April 7, 2015.  I did an unboxing and quick flip through of the 3rd edition, which you can check out here:

I'm still a student. I don't have Dave's finesse or electrical background but tried to comment as a noob anyway.

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124 on: April 09, 2015, 05:36:18 pm »
Just ordered AoE 2 (£19 used hardcover) and AoE 3 (£53 from Amazon).

Looking forward to delving inside these much respected books  :-+

Aurora
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf