Author Topic: The Art of Electronics 3rd edition finished writing and copy-editing  (Read 95082 times)

Offline dadler

• Supporter
Re: The Art of Electronics 3rd edition finished writing and copy-editing
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2015, 06:10:14 am »

https://blog.adafruit.com/2015/01/29/breaking-news-the-art-of-electronics-3rd-edition-by-horowitz-hill-hardcover-third-edition/]

Picture is fake but, I am sure the real hardcover will be just as heavy.

I'll wait for the Kindle version :)

« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 06:13:40 am by dadler »

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2015, 12:33:59 pm »
Just noticed from Daves amazon.com link that the US price has dropped from $108 to just $79  :-+ All existing pre-orders should be price guaranteed.

The UK price is still only £46 but we do not pay VAT on books in the UK.

I hope the EUR price also drops for all our European friends too, though I believe the rest of the EU has to pay VAT at 20-25% on books which seems a bit Dr. Evil to me.

Offline nowlan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2015, 12:56:03 pm »
For my Austalian friends. Price drop hasnt updated. See if things improve towards release.

https://booko.com.au/9780521809269/The-Art-of-Electronics

Online Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2015, 10:33:08 am »
I'm guessing pre-order demand had been good, so they're able to do a bigger print run to bring the price down.
Glad that Amazon has the pre-order price guarantee.  :-+

Offline elgonzo

• Supporter
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2015, 12:31:23 pm »
Just noticed from Daves amazon.com link that the US price has dropped from $108 to just $79  :-+ All existing pre-orders should be price guaranteed.

I hope the EUR price also drops for all our European friends too, though I believe the rest of the EU has to pay VAT at 20-25% on books which seems a bit Dr. Evil to me.

Amazon.de price has already corrected their pre-order price to 80,88 Euro, making almost as cheap as the amazon.co.uk offer (£54.45 for delivery to Germany).

Amazon France does not (yet?) have adjusted their pre-order price, which currently still is 112 EUR. But i guess that they too will adjust their price soon.

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2015, 05:58:29 pm »
I'm hoping a pdf will come out, eventually.  or some e-book.

on the amazon link, there is a clickable link to tell the publisher you want to see a kindle version.  please consider clicking that so that we get more votes to have an electronic copy (which will be searchable!).  kindle files can be ported to non-kindles, too, of course.

I can't remember the last time I bought a paper edition book.  10 or 20 or even more years ago!  collecting deadtree editions is just a non-starter for me.  I have enough clutter at home already ;)

and as for workbench use, I often print pages that I might need on my laser printer and bring them to my bench.  less bulk on the bench and I can write on the pages if need be.  so, books don't really do much for me, in physical form.

maybe if enough people tell amazon they want an ebook version, we'll have that extra choice.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: January 31, 2015, 07:02:10 pm »
I'm just getting through the first chapter and trying to intuitively understand differentiators and integrators. Thevevin equivalent circuits I take at face value having not done the math yet. But using RC circuits and flipping the position of the R and C and why it behaves the way it does I am still working to grasp. I am thinking when C is connected to ground, it essentially allows the one side of the cap to charge which keeps building up or integrating the source. When the C is flipped with the R (which is now downstream of the cap and draining it to ground) the C acts like a filter allowing high frequency edges like in a square wave to make it through while low ones don't. So the faster the rate of change on the signal the more voltage the signal gets. I hope I am understanding this correctly. You are right, it is a great book and very dense with fundamentals which I need to know in addition to tinkering.

Look at the maths, then all will become clear. That's the real advantage of "theory" - it enables you to visualise new and different possibilites.
Maths alone doesn't always help. There were plenty of people at college who were better at maths than me but didn't seem to understand the basic principles so well.

If you know about potential difference and really understand Ohm's law, RC circuits aren't that difficult to understand, even if your grasp of calculus is poor.

If doesn't matter which way round the capacitor and resistor are connected. When the power is initially applied, the capacitor initially behaves like a piece of wire, so the full supply voltage will appear across the resistor. Then as the capacitor charges, it develops a potential difference across it which counteracts the supply voltage, causing the current to fall towards zero. The current though the resistor falls exponentially because the more the capacitor charges, the slower it charges because the voltage developed across it opposes the supply voltage.

If you don't understand that, the hydraulic analogy explains this. Firstly think of a tank filled water with a hole in the bottom, plugged with a bung. When the bung is first removed, the water will flow very quickly but as the water pressure falls, the flow rate will slow down. If you plot a graph of the height of the water level, you'll find it decays exponentially.

This will work in reverse if you pump the water back into the tank through the same hole, using a pump which only generates enough pressure to fill the tank but not overfill it: the flow rate will reduce exponentially until the back pressure by the water in the tank equals the pressure generated by the pump.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 08:03:05 pm by Hero999 »

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2015, 07:29:38 pm »
I'm just getting through the first chapter and trying to intuitively understand differentiators and integrators. Thevevin equivalent circuits I take at face value having not done the math yet. But using RC circuits and flipping the position of the R and C and why it behaves the way it does I am still working to grasp. I am thinking when C is connected to ground, it essentially allows the one side of the cap to charge which keeps building up or integrating the source. When the C is flipped with the R (which is now downstream of the cap and draining it to ground) the C acts like a filter allowing high frequency edges like in a square wave to make it through while low ones don't. So the faster the rate of change on the signal the more voltage the signal gets. I hope I am understanding this correctly. You are right, it is a great book and very dense with fundamentals which I need to know in addition to tinkering.

Look at the maths, then all will become clear. That's the real advantage of "theory" - it enables you to visualise new and different possibilites.
Maths alone doesn't always help.

Never claimed it would.

In the context of this conversation, as quoted above, my statement remains valid.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline jancumps

• Supporter
  • New Low
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2015, 09:03:02 pm »

Amazon.de price has already corrected their pre-order price to 80,88 Euro, making almost as cheap as the amazon.co.uk offer (£54.45 for delivery to Germany).

Amazon France does not (yet?) have adjusted their pre-order price, which currently still is 112 EUR. But i guess that they too will adjust their price soon.

At the moment the US price + shipping is still cheaper than buying on an Europe Amazon  with free shipping (3 euro cheaper than what amazon.de asks after their price drop).

Offline elgonzo

• Supporter
« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2015, 01:40:12 am »
At the moment the US price + shipping is still cheaper than buying on an Europe Amazon  with free shipping (3 euro cheaper than what amazon.de asks after their price drop).

No, not at all.

Ordering the book at Amazon.com with a delivery address in  Europe costs about USD 87.

USD 87 = EUR 77.
USD 87 = GBP 58. Compare this with the amazon.co.uk price of GBP 46.20 (Brits have 0% VAT on books). Erm...

Ordering the book from amazon.co.uk to German delivery address costs £54.45. This includes 7% VAT. Adjustment to Belgian 6% VAT makes £53.95 (i assume shipping costs will remain the same). This is about EUR 72.

If you pay with credit card you might need to add a fee because of payment in GBP (depending on the terms of your CC institute). Assuming this fee being 2% you will end up with a price of EUR 73.44 that is being deducted from your CC account.

So, as a European do you really want to order from amazon.com?
Even in the possible best case scenario (i.e., your customs office not collecting VAT) Amazon.com is still more expensive than amazon.co.uk.

Note that the calculated amazon.co.uk prices i wrote in red already include shipping costs and VAT(!).

The meager saving of 3 Euro you mentioned compared to amazon.de you only get if you have a lazy customs office which does not collect VAT, and if there are no additional credit card fees involved. If your customs office is not totally incompetent, it will charge you with the VAT, lifting the amazon.com purchase cost above the amazon.de price.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 02:38:10 am by elgonzo »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2015, 06:33:06 am »
So Cambridge Press are going to send me a review copy in May, because, well, I'm Australian, and it's not released in Australia until June  ::)
It seems they don't quite understand the global market and what reach a youtube channel has.. :palm:  :clap:

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2015, 07:11:24 am »
Can you buy it? Or they won't ship to Australia?

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Online Kean

• Supporter
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2015, 07:24:19 am »
Dave doesn't need to buy it - he gets "everything" for free  :-DD

For the rest of us in Australia, we can just order it from amazon.com and get it in May also (and probably cheaper than locally, even with the crap AUD exchange rate).

Online Kean

• Supporter
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2015, 09:52:56 am »
Interesting... it seems to have gone back up to $108

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2015, 09:58:26 am »
It seems they don't quite understand the global market and what reach a youtube channel has.. :palm:  :clap:

You have an excellent means of educating them at your disposal :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2015, 11:22:14 am »
Can you buy it?

I already have a pre-order on Amazon. Just trying to get one pre-release.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2015, 12:21:57 pm »
Does it help to remind them your key demographic is U.S.?  ...And Germany? :-DD

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline Kohanbash

• Regular Contributor
    • Robots for Roboticists
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2015, 12:41:27 am »
Interesting... it seems to have gone back up to $108

The US site is also charging that $108 now.

Amazons pricing algorithm probably saw all these orders and realized it can charge more.

Thankfully I locked one in at the lower price
Robots for Roboticists Blog - http://robotsforroboticists.com/

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2015, 01:11:21 am »
I think the cutoff for insta-buy was under $150USD for me.  That's what I expected it to come out at anyway.

Offline ElektroQuark

• Supporter
    • ElektroQuark
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2015, 03:13:27 pm »
Just received an update from Amazon.uk:

Estimated arrival date changed from July 10 to May 7.

Offline nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2015, 03:18:16 pm »
Just received an update from Amazon.uk:

Estimated arrival date changed from July 10 to May 7.

Same here - was July7th/9th, is now May 8th/11th

Exciting!

Offline nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2015, 03:38:33 pm »
First reviews are available now:
http://www.cambridge.org/at/academic/subjects/physics/electronics-physicists/art-electronics-3rd-edition?format=HB
Seeing as one of the 'advance' reviewers quoted is the late Jim Williams, that must have been reviewed well in advance! I presume that chapter 5 was the first written sample chapter for the publisher.

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2015, 04:09:27 pm »
Just been notified by Amazon that the Dispatch date has been brought forward from July 6th to May 7th. :-+

Offline SteveyG

• Supporter
  • Soldering Equipment Guru
« Reply #74 on: February 06, 2015, 02:33:28 pm »
Just been notified by Amazon that the Dispatch date has been brought forward from July 6th to May 7th. :-+

Now due to arrive on my doorstep in April :)
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/sdgelectronics/
Use code: “SDG5” to get 5% off JBC Equipment at Kaisertech

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf