Author Topic: The EEVblog Bunker  (Read 19206 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
The EEVblog Bunker
« on: November 26, 2014, 11:50:43 am »
A tad excited, as mentioned on the Amp Hour I'm a getting a new storage space  :-+
About the same size as my current lab, but taller and hence feels a lot bigger. Within walking distance to the lab.
It's also got an existing bench right along one wall, power (just one I think, but can be easily expanded barring existing wiring capacity limitations) and lighting.
So should be perfectly usable as a workshop as well as storage, and certainly could shoot footage in there if needed. Decent footage would require more lighting though.
Underground so hence should be quite temp stable. No aircon of course.
Although if I'm working for any extended period in there I figure I might need a carbon monoxide meter...
Don't know about mobile/internet access yet, but lack of internet/distraction might be a good thing.

So it means I can get absolutely everything not needed out of the lab, and have plenty of room to set up a decent mechanical workshop. Only issue is no ventilation, so no chemical stuff or tools that need that.

No photos yet.

Offline apelly

• Supporter
  • Probe
Re: The EEVblog Bunker
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 12:48:38 pm »
Nice, but;
Although if I'm working for any extended period in there I figure I might need a carbon monoxide meter...

Beans?

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 12:53:58 pm »

Offline janengelbrecht

• Regular Contributor
    • JP-Electronics
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 12:57:06 pm »
Underground ? Maybe some way to measure Radon would be needed too ? :)

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 12:59:35 pm »
Make sure any equipment you store there is kept in bags, or a ventilation-free mechanical workshop will quickly get things full of very unfriendly dust.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 01:40:43 pm »
Make sure any equipment you store there is kept in bags, or a ventilation-free mechanical workshop will quickly get things full of very unfriendly dust.

Yes. Using a drop-saw in there is probably not a good idea. But I could have a decent drill press and other metalworking tools.

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 01:41:59 pm »

Yes. Using a drop-saw in there is probably not a good idea. But I could have a decent drill press and other metalworking tools.

Eh, get yourself a good vacuum if you want to do something really messy. Dust extraction isn't just for the professionals! ;)

Just beware of the Dremel/angle grinder.. That dust is no good for anyone or anything, and not so easily controlled.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 04:42:33 pm »
Start looking on trademe for some speed shelving, of various lengths. That will use wooden decking, which you can make from shutterply and timber if you have to ,or just use what it comes with or order new to size. Get some that will go almost all the way to the roof, and preferably with 3 rows per unit. Bottom feet have the lowest one placed just above them, then another at waist height and the top near the roof. Get a good ladder as well, and then you can have a work area and storage both under and above, and with the lower above the floor you have room for air to circulate to keep them from getting musty. As well provides some flood protection. Plus you can sweep the floor under it, or use the vacuum to clean there. The shelves will withstand 1 ton per bay for each level, or you can walk on it if needed.

I have one at work storing PVC sheet, and it has 4 tons of film roll on it, in a 2m length. For that one I ordered new and ordered the high strength beams, 5 sets, at about double the price. The uprights though are standard. the fun was putting the 30kg rolls on each shelf when stacking, that was hard work, took 2 weeks to do the trips to the slitter to collect them in the van and load and unload at each end.

Online ConKbot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 05:09:43 pm »
Underground ? Maybe some way to measure Radon would be needed too ? :)
Depends on the geology.  Around here, one county may have no problems with radon, and the next county over may it may be a common thing to have radon abatement in a house.

Offline Len

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 08:04:08 pm »
Nice, but;

Beans?
My first thought was magic smoke from fried chips.
DIY Eurorack Synth: https://lenp.net/synth/

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2014, 08:16:57 pm »
So it means I can get absolutely everything not needed out of the lab, and have plenty of room to set up a decent mechanical workshop.

Anyone taking bets on  how long it will take to fill up the now available space again?   ;D
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline rollatorwieltje

• Supporter
  • I brick your boards.
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2014, 08:31:53 pm »
So it means I can get absolutely everything not needed out of the lab, and have plenty of room to set up a decent mechanical workshop.

Anyone taking bets on  how long it will take to fill up the now available space again?   ;D

So true.

Getting more storage space is not a solution, it just temporarily slows down the process. Maybe the space is worth it if it's an investment, but if it's a rental property it'll not only move your stuff out of the way but also your money.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2014, 10:19:59 pm »
Getting more storage space is not a solution, it just temporarily slows down the process. Maybe the space is worth it if it's an investment, but if it's a rental property it'll not only move your stuff out of the way but also your money.

It's an investment. I'm currently renting a storage space.
It would be a wiser investment if I rented it out and kept renting my smaller cheaper current tiny storage space, or installed a screen and rented out half of it, but I'm sick of skimping on space.
Ideally I'd simply like a bigger lab space with workshop as I have proposed before, but it ain't that easy for many reasons.

Offline Kohanbash

• Regular Contributor
    • Robots for Roboticists
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2014, 01:56:01 pm »
One thing to be careful with being underground is moisture. I have  worked in some underground labs where things rusting from moisture in the air was an issue.
Robots for Roboticists Blog - http://robotsforroboticists.com/

Online nfmax

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2014, 02:11:10 pm »
Once, I worked for a start-up located in the basement of a former factory (1960's vintage) on an industrial estate.  I spent an interesting couple of hours working out why I was getting electric 'tingles' when I touched something on my bench that was supposedly earthed, but only when I stood on one of the cracks between the floor tiles (at least there weren't any bears!). It turned out my bench was plugged into a socket which was a) fed from a distribution board in the next building and b) 'earthed' only through the rusting metal wiring conduit.
Later on that winter, it got a bit damp, to the extent of occasionally having a cm or two of water on the floor at the other end of the lab.

n45048

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2014, 09:59:02 pm »
Can we see photos Dave?

As for moisture, air conditioning would soon take care of that.

Offline Dave

• Super Contributor
  • I like to measure things.
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2014, 10:16:38 pm »
Yeah... :D

<fellbuendel> it's arduino, you're not supposed to know anything about what you're doing
<fellbuendel> if you knew, you wouldn't be using it

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2014, 05:21:12 pm »
If it is a hole and you cannot put in an AC just put in a dehumidifier and leave it running all the time, with the drain line going to a drain. It will keep the humidity at a low level, even if the room is heated up a little.

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2014, 09:04:58 am »
Re:

It looks good.

Does the air duct above the bench do anything?

That the plans for lighting/painting?  Just leave the bare walls (maybe paint the ceiling white) for the 'gungy industrial look' and add loads of lights or paint it all white and just add a few additional ones.

Re the sound, as others have commented on.  I am sure it will improve when you fill the bunker up with shelves and junk  :-+  Carpet works wonders for sound, but I know you don't want to worry about keeping it clean... Maybe dumpster dive an old one  :o
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 09:40:36 am by Towger »

Offline Stonent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2014, 09:12:22 am »
Painting the concrete floor may help with the echo. If you could get some foam padding on the ceiling or maybe just suspended, it could absorb some of the noise reflected up from the floor. Padded walls may help as well.

This company has a variety of paint and paint-like products for noise reduction.

http://www.acousticalsurfaces.com/coat-of-silence/coat-of-silence.html
The larger the government, the smaller the citizen.

Offline SL4P

• Super Contributor
  • There's more value if you figure it out yourself!
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2014, 09:23:36 pm »
Or just keep stuff from touching the raw concrete - and use it as a STORAGE bunker.
Good cataloging system + door open/close = in & out.

Maybe a timer & fan to circulate the air to avoid corrosion.
Don't ask a question if you aren't willing to listen to the answer.

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2014, 10:54:28 am »
Or just keep stuff from touching the raw concrete - and use it as a STORAGE bunker.

Notice how there is already a shelf under the bench to keep stuff up off floor.

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2014, 11:39:09 am »
Probably worth sealing the floor to reduce dust before you fill it with crap.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline rs20

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2014, 11:46:54 am »
Painting the concrete floor may help with the echo. If you could get some foam padding on the ceiling or maybe just suspended, it could absorb some of the noise reflected up from the floor. Padded walls may help as well.

This company has a variety of paint and paint-like products for noise reduction.

http://www.acousticalsurfaces.com/coat-of-silence/coat-of-silence.html

Didn't look too closely, but that link describes a paint that attenuates sound getting to neighbouring rooms; it claims nothing about echo. The pictures even show the sound bouncing right back.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2014, 06:06:50 pm »
Cheapest floor sealer is to buy 10l of liquid polymer floor polish ( or more if it is a big area, but buy the commercial stuff) and wash the floor then apply 2 coats using a string mop. Leave to dry overnight and use it, and when it starts looking scruffy again give it a wash with water and it will recover, and after a year you might want to give another coat. So far surviving well in a garage area at work to keep the concrete sealed nicely.

If I have to remove it Khanye will definitely not like me any more, it is hard work to strip polish off floors, even with an industrial machine, and I am going through the stripping mats at an alarming rate. On the plus side you do not need to have a gym membership running the polisher all day. When training in operating we both were building upper body strength.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf