Low Cost PCB's Low Cost Components

Author Topic: The first all-digital answering machine 1983  (Read 553 times)

Offline Homer J Simpson

• Frequent Contributor
The first all-digital answering machine 1983
« on: March 21, 2017, 12:56:15 PM »

The following users thanked this post: SeanB

Offline Falcon69

• Super Contributor
Re: The first all-digital answering machine 1983
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 01:07:41 PM »
Interesting, so it was actually more or less a Caller ID, and NOT an answering machine.  I find it interesting that it plugs into the main line, and then throughout all the lines in the house. My Cable modem does the same thing, phone signal comes in through Cable Modem, then disconnect the hardline from the telephone pole (Or outside telephone box on the wall), and then plug the phone line to a wall jack in the house and the cable modem.

So, in a way, it seems much haven't changed since the 80's when it comes to landlines.

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 12:24:28 PM »
Interesting, so it was actually more or less a Caller ID, and NOT an answering machine.
I saw this video earlier today. I agree that it's not really an answering machine, but it's definitely not a caller ID box, since it does not receive the phone number from the telco. It's more like a super lightweight PBX.

I find it interesting that it plugs into the main line, and then throughout all the lines in the house. My Cable modem does the same thing, phone signal comes in through Cable Modem, then disconnect the hardline from the telephone pole (Or outside telephone box on the wall), and then plug the phone line to a wall jack in the house and the cable modem.

So, in a way, it seems much haven't changed since the 80's when it comes to landlines.
Well, only insofar as you've identified more or less the only aspect of a landline phone that has remained the same. The actual network of today bears little resemblance to the network of the 1980s and before.

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 09:41:17 PM »
I worked once with a rather eccentric guy who created a super simple call detect circuit. The circuit would simply flash a LED if anyone called during the day whilst he was at work. If, when he got home he saw the LED flashing, he would ring up everyone he knew to ask them if they had called.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf