Author Topic: The Israelis do it again!  (Read 14569 times)

Offline echen1024Topic starter

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
The Israelis do it again!
« on: April 24, 2014, 03:01:03 am »
Another "totally harmonically distorted: meter for a low, low, low price of only $199.99
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Keithley-2015-Total-Harmonic-Distortion-Multimeter-/231166283545?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35d2958f19
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

https://www.youtube.com/user/echen1024

Offline linux-works

• Super Contributor
    • netstuff
Re: The Israelis do it again!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 03:08:36 am »
never ever bring a meter to a gun fight.

you'll lose every time.

;)

Offline SgtRock

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 04:06:43 am »
Greetings EEVBees:

--Definitely teenagers.

"Get that quarterback"
Gator Dundee
1948  -

Best Regards
Clear Ether

Offline samcramer

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 04:25:24 am »
I'm confused by this thread.

There's a seller from Israel, and somehow the listings of that seller characterizes all Israelis?

Do the bigoted postings of people who seize on the nationality of one person in order to smear a whole nation also indict the home countries of those who post such stuff?

Stick to the electronics, guys, and lay off the hate.

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 04:33:26 am »

There's a seller from Israel, and somehow the listings of that seller characterizes all Israelis?

Do the bigoted postings of people who seize on the nationality of one person in order to smear a whole nation also indict the home countries of those who post such stuff?

No, it's just that a lot of the Israeli liquidators like selling completely smashed test gear for high prices.
I'm not saying we should kill all stupid people. I'm just saying that we should remove all product safety labels and let natural selection do its work.

Offline John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 04:35:29 am »
It's a $4000+ THD meter that's being sold for parts for $200.  Is there a joke I'm missing?  If you had a THD meter in your shop with a blown up board, you'd be tripping over yourself to buy this thing before someone else did.

BTW, I'm with Dave...I don't see anything bigoted here, but this item is a steal for someone that needs to fix their own meter.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 04:42:35 am by John Coloccia »

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 04:36:23 am »

Chill out dude.
No one is branding all Israelis, it's just a gag about how crap stuff always pops up on ebay, and it's always from the same or or two Israeli sellers.
Same way people joke about crap Chinese stuff. Anyone with any intelligence knows that China can make good stuff too, just like not all Israeli's beat the crap out of their gear.
There is no hate happening here. If you think so, then you are applying far too much political correctness to what is being said. I'd suggest easing up on that, the world has too much PC to go around already.

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 04:41:04 am »
It's a $4000+ THD meter that's being sold for parts for $200.  Is there a joke I'm missing?  If you had a THD meter in your shop with a blown up board, you'd be tripping over yourself to buy this thing before someone else did.
really?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Keithley-2015THD-6-5-digit-bench-DMM-multimeter-with-harmonic-analysis-/351042596997?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item51bbc4f085

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2014, 04:41:19 am »
Quote from: samcramer
Calm down and take your medsl, Mr 2 posts.
This is an old, long running scene of some peanut (no one cares where from) who'se been selling totally crap / damaged goods
and asking stupid rediculous prices. I, amongst others, immediately KNEW what he was talking about without even reading
the post .... and had a chuckle upon reading it. This guy was / is from Israel, selling junk and it was only that (rare) combination
that made the post easy to remember. What if we go back to "bashing" the Chinese! Would that make you happy? :-)
Think before you leap.
Hello <tap> <tap> .. is this thing on?

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2014, 04:43:22 am »
It's a $4000+ THD meter that's being sold for parts for $200.  Is there a joke I'm missing?

Yes, the joke is that this seller always sells stuff that looks like it's been shot at, crushed, or blown up.
This badly abused stuff pops up so frequently in ebay searches for test gear that it would be genuinely useful to be able to exclude Israel from worldwide searches.
And that's not being racist or whatever term you want to throw at it, it's just a practical reality of ebay searching for test gear.

Offline John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2014, 04:47:34 am »
really?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Keithley-2015THD-6-5-digit-bench-DMM-multimeter-with-harmonic-analysis-/351042596997?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item51bbc4f085

I didn't know they sold that cheaply used...that's still over $500.  So I take it back.  It's definitely a little high.

Offline John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 04:49:34 am »
It's a $4000+ THD meter that's being sold for parts for $200.  Is there a joke I'm missing?

Yes, the joke is that this seller always sells stuff that looks like it's been shot at, crushed, or blown up.
This badly abused stuff pops up so frequently in ebay searches for test gear that it would be genuinely useful to be able to exclude Israel from worldwide searches.
And that's not being racist or whatever term you want to throw at it, it's just a practical reality of ebay searching for test gear.

There's a lot of countries I exclude from my worldwide searches...LOL.

Offline calexanian

• Super Contributor
    • Alex-Tronix
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 04:54:00 am »
For many years I have been buying from and selling to Israeli companies. I find them to actually be more fair on average than many vendors and customers in other parts of the world. Spain is awful. I would say the worst actually based on long payment term demands and continuous nagging and nit picking. One company over there outright copied our product to the point where their distributors were sending them to us in America to repair thinking we made them! True you do encounter the typical price price price type people in every culture and country, but I can not think of any specific dealing with an Israeli company that has ended badly and many of my favorite customers to talk to are either first or second generation American families from Israel. For that matter I have also had good experiences, all be it to a lesser volume from the arab nations. In fact some of them prefer to buy from an Armenian owned company from the US rather than Isarel, but that is a different conversation. In the business world over there are many dealings with Arabs and Israelis and among educated people there is much more commonality and understanding than we think sometimes, based on our popular news.
Charles Alexanian
Alex-Tronix Control Systems

Offline TheBorg

• Frequent Contributor
  • Hoping to start an EE degree soon...
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2014, 04:57:10 am »
My guess is that they have a group of 9th graders in an electronics class that moves equipment around regularly.

I mean, have you ever seen 30 fourteen year olds trying to solder for the first time? Usually its about 20 minutes before someone leaves a soldering iron on, bumps it, and burns into the cord of a power supply.

Stuff got dropped all the time when I was in class (luckily it was usually just multimeters. Think there were only a couple people that dropped power supplies and stuff that year, thank goodness).
Youtube Channel - Assimilated Circuits
We are Borg. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

Offline John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2014, 04:57:45 am »
I only see this stuff when someone posts it here. It boggles the mind wondering how it could get to be in such condition. Surely it takes a fair bit of effort to make such a mess of a piece of test gear. At what point does someone decide it is worth it.

There was one a while back, an oscilloscope IIRC that looked like someone had stabbed it with the hot end of a soldering iron.

A good number of years ago, I was in the lab when one of our other engineers walked in from having taken a long vacation...went on a cruise around Africa, or something like that I think.  He calmly put down his little briefcase, walked over to one of our robots, and tried to give the command to toggle bit 100 to release the very carefully instrumented test package it's carrying (I think we were measuring the machine's dynamics).

Instead, he command the Z axis to move, open loop, at 100%.  Now, these were big robots designed for storing material in process for semiconductor fabs....this particular one was probably about 4 or 5 meters tall.  It shot straight up and smashed the test package to smithereens....broke both drive belts in the process, so of course it came crashing right back down and smashed all of the drive electronics in the "z-bucket".

There was no e-bay at the time so I'm not sure whatever happened to all that stuff.

• Super Contributor
  • 15 yo Future EE
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2014, 05:09:54 am »
My guess is that they have a group of 9th graders in an electronics class that moves equipment around regularly.

I mean, have you ever seen 30 fourteen year olds trying to solder for the first time? Usually its about 20 minutes before someone leaves a soldering iron on, bumps it, and burns into the cord of a power supply.

Stuff got dropped all the time when I was in class (luckily it was usually just multimeters. Think there were only a couple people that dropped power supplies and stuff that year, thank goodness).
I was trying to teach a nephew (11) how to solder. Whoo-hoo! Burned the cord on the first go! Got him another iron, and through hole is not a problem now.

Offline calexanian

• Super Contributor
    • Alex-Tronix
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2014, 05:12:52 am »
When I was a kid I set one of our big Unger soldering irons we used for making harnesses on its own cord.. BANG!! I also set a office chair of fire when I rolled it up to the window to stand on and look our. The heater was a wall mount under the window. We still had that chair for years! Sometimes I miss those days.  :'( My dad sure designed one hell of a reliable product in the electromech days.
Charles Alexanian
Alex-Tronix Control Systems

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2014, 08:56:35 am »
I was trying to teach a nephew (11) how to solder. Whoo-hoo! Burned the cord on the first go! Got him another iron, and through hole is not a problem now.
Just taught my stepson (9) how to solder, first without power just handling the iron and which parts never ever to touch. Then with power, and everything went ok.
Too bad for your cord but better then the flesh  ;) that kind of early bad experiences could ruin a perfect hobbie for the rest of his life.

Offline SolarSunrise

• Regular Contributor
  • Hi there!
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2014, 10:36:26 am »

There's a lot of countries I exclude from my worldwide searches...LOL.

Well this 100Mhz 4 channel Tektronix, from the same seller, looks like a bargain:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TEKTRONIX-2245A-100-MHz-OSCILLOSCOPE-/231046365211?pt=BI_Oscilloscopes&hash=item35cb6fc01b

You never know what you can find!

Offline Dago

• Frequent Contributor
    • Electronics blog about whatever I happen to build!
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2014, 11:58:37 am »
I only see this stuff when someone posts it here. It boggles the mind wondering how it could get to be in such condition. Surely it takes a fair bit of effort to make such a mess of a piece of test gear. At what point does someone decide it is worth it.

There was one a while back, an oscilloscope IIRC that looked like someone had stabbed it with the hot end of a soldering iron.

I'm pretty certain these are items that have been thrown away to the dump/recycling and these guys just go through them and sell the ones that are worth anything. Don't think they are experts in valuing the items, just try to give a best guess.

To me the meter the OP posted looks to be priced pretty fairly. Looking at the picture where it is opened it looks to be like "mint" inside and it looks like only the display is smashed. Just get a new display and it most likely works like new...
Come and check my projects at http://www.dgkelectronics.com ! I also tweet as https://twitter.com/DGKelectronics

Offline Kohanbash

• Regular Contributor
    • Robots for Roboticists
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2014, 12:39:34 pm »
Just to point out that out of 2743 reviews the seller has a 99.7% positive feedback.
Robots for Roboticists Blog - http://robotsforroboticists.com/

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2014, 01:35:06 pm »
Just to point out that out of 2743 reviews the seller has a 99.7% positive feedback.

I have no doubt you'll get your heap'o'crap in timely fashion and probably well packed, exactly as described. AAAAAAAAA+++++++++!

Offline krivx

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2014, 01:37:42 pm »
I've never bought from LiquidTech but I have got a Fluke 87 and a HP 3615a from surplustechmart and was happy with both deals. It's worth knowing that a lot of these surplus sellers will accept lower prices if you message them with an offer.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2014, 02:29:15 pm »
From Wikipedia

"Israel boasts the highest number of scientists, technicians, and engineers per capita in the world with 140 scientists, technicians, and engineers per 10,000 employees. In comparison, the same is 85 per 10,000 in the United States and 83 per 10,000 in Japan."

Offline ErikTheNorwegian

• Frequent Contributor
  • Asberger, aspi, HIGH function, nerd...
/Erik
Goooood karma is flowing..

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf