Author Topic: The Rigol DS1052E  (Read 622620 times)

Machina

Re: The Rigol DS1052E
« Reply #100 on: December 31, 2009, 04:56:08 pm »
All I know is that a few weeks before Christmas, a ebay search for Rigol used to produce close to 300 results, as well as 10 or more new results a day.

Currently the same search produces just under a 100 results, with no new results for today.

Its possible its just the time of year, but its not sounding like it.

Andrew

« Reply #101 on: December 31, 2009, 07:45:59 pm »
Did I miss the chance to get a decent entry-level scope for a bargain price? ???

No, but

• You might have to wait and see until prices go down again.
  • You might have to turn to another brand. Brands on that entry-level are kind of a fashion thing. Poplar is what the resellers can get cheap and sell cheap. Rigol's time might be over, because maybe resellers can't get it cheap any more. Maybe UNI-T or Instek is the next big thing. Or Siglent or GAOtek. Or who knows.
  • If you have balls of steel, go to http://www.taobao.com This is the all Chinese eBay alternative, and much more popular in China then eBay.  You will find 1052E's for less than 2000 Yuan (incredible £181) there.
    Your mission, if you chose to accept, is to
    • Search for DS1052E and disregard all offers where they use the term DS1052E but show other oscilloscopes (unless, of course, you find that other oscilloscope interesting)
    • Search for contact information of 1052E sellers and try to contact them. Best would be you have someone at hand capable of reading/writing Chinese. If not, you have to hope the sellers speak English.
    • Be prepared that the seller will be very *ehm* "creative" answering your questions. Making a sale in China is more about making the buyer feel good, than telling him the truth.
    • Find a seller willing to ship to you
    • And convince the seller to do the deal outside of taobao, because without speaking Chinese you won't even manage to find the taobao signup link.
    • Also find an agreement with the seller about a payment system. P&P charges, etc.
    • Make sure you get an instrument with English language and power rating for your area
    • And somehow convince yourself that you can trust the seller. That's where your balls of steal come into play.
    • Take it like a man if the whole thing goes wrong.
    This is not for the faint of heart. You are trading time and risk for a good price.

Offline SimonTopic starter

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #102 on: December 31, 2009, 08:09:26 pm »
yea the above rings a bell when I was trying to help a guy I used to work for in italy trade with china, their english is awful and "anything goes" trying to establish a common clothing size systen is a nightmare, you want a 12 you get a twelve, didn't matter what the real size was.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #103 on: January 01, 2010, 08:19:36 am »
WOW!
I so wonder what's happened?!
Cheapest is now AU$600 or so, it was under $400 a few weeks back!

Dave.

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #104 on: January 01, 2010, 08:24:16 am »
they must have figured that they were selling way too cheap

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #105 on: January 01, 2010, 08:24:55 am »
Dealextreme still have it for $400:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.30573

Dave.

Offline armandas

• Frequent Contributor
    • My projects
« Reply #106 on: January 01, 2010, 09:53:45 am »
And somehow convince yourself that you can trust the seller. That's where your balls of steal come into play.
I got an offer from ebay seller to complete the transaction outside of ebay. I'd rather wait and see what happens next :D

Dealextreme still have it for $400:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.30573

Dave.
Yeah, that was the second place I checked, since the price was quite reasonable there. If nothing else comes up, I'll go for DE.

Offline rossv

• Contributor
« Reply #107 on: January 03, 2010, 03:49:44 am »
Hi guys,

Looks like I also might have missed the boat, but I think I'll grab one now while they're still around cheap.

I found DealExtreme and a online Australian retailer (http://purchasenet.com.au/shopping/rigol-ds1052e-digital-storage-oscilloscope-2ch-p-1664.html?osCsid=07dbb53dce6efbc6902)

The DealExtreme one is slightly cheaper, but I see some negative comments about shipping under "Discussions" for this item.

Has anyone bought from DealExtreme and/or can recommend them, or should I stick to the local (AU) retailer who at least I can call if something goes wrong..?

Thanks,

Ross..

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #108 on: January 03, 2010, 07:23:29 am »
Has anyone bought from DealExtreme and/or can recommend them, or should I stick to the local (AU) retailer who at least I can call if something goes wrong..?

I don't know any aussies who have bought from Dealextreme.
Dealextreme recommend you "upgrade" to EMS courier, so that's about AU$465, compared to AU$495 from the Oz seller.
Not a huge difference there really.
But I think Purchasenet might be just a drop-shipper, so probably no local stock and shipped direct from overseas anyway(?). Might be worth asking them first.
Not sure how the warranty works either, but there is a chance that if Purchasenet are not an approved Rigol Oz seller (likely I think) then the local warranty might not be valid anyway(?).

Dave.

Offline rossv

• Contributor
« Reply #109 on: January 03, 2010, 10:18:55 am »
Thanks for your reply.

I tried to ask Purchasenet a question via their web form, but the website crashes with 505 when I click 'Submit'..!

Since there are no options on EBay anymore (unless I wish to pay $700 AUD), I think I'll just try Dealextreme and hope it works out..

Ross..

Offline logictom

• Supporter
« Reply #110 on: January 04, 2010, 11:21:31 am »
I ordered one of the Rigol's from ebay and was sent out before the auction was removed. Same explanation, dumping price. But I've just got a tracking number from them and it's out in the van now so hopefully I should have it some time today  ;D

Offline rossv

• Contributor
« Reply #111 on: January 04, 2010, 11:36:00 am »
Unfortunately all the EBay sales are now gone, except for $699+ AUD items. :(

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #112 on: January 04, 2010, 11:42:59 am »
Unfortunately all the EBay sales are now gone, except for $699+ AUD items. :(

That sucks :(

If it's any consolation I paid over $700 for mine, that was after the first "price crash". Little did I know they would almost half again within 6 months!

That aussie seller isn't a bad price at $500.

Dave.

Offline rossv

• Contributor
« Reply #113 on: January 04, 2010, 12:17:33 pm »
(I'd forgotten that they started at $700+ on Ebay)..

The PurchaseNet price is fine enough, but I suspect no stock (and that they just drop ship from China as you suggested) so I went with DealExtreme who apparently are not so bad, based on a page on Whirlpool: http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=3&ved=0CBsQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwhirlpool.net.au%2Fwiki%2F%3Ftag%3Ddealextreme&rct=j&q=deal+extreme&ei=ANxBS7XkA5Po7APiuLTvAw&usg=AFQjCNE8pxOkwJgYPVF8_DHRNSNO3b_qxg

Hopefully they come through..!

Ross..

Offline AnotherAusEE

« Reply #114 on: January 04, 2010, 01:07:32 pm »
Hey guys.

At work we use Alibaba as a direct link to Chinese suppliers all the time, and we do get some great deals.
I did a search for the DS1052E on there and it shows up under AliExpress fairly cheaply - i.e. < $400 AUD delivered for MOQ of 1 unit.

I have not bought one from this source, but it uses an escrow payment service so it MAY be OK.

Use with care, but I thought I'd throw it in, in case you're interested.

Check out the price of the 100MHz unit as well (a lot cheaper than ebay):

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?SearchText=rigol&CatId=0

PS : Got a 1052E off ebay when they were cheap (thanks for the review, Dave!) and they really are amazing value.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 04:46:07 am by AnotherAusEE »

icemagic

« Reply #115 on: January 07, 2010, 08:31:16 pm »
Hi guys,

I think I found our culprit: http://www.emona.com.au/

https://secure1.ozhosting.com/emona/shop/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=72

They've got the gall to charge GST on top of that horrific price as well!

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #116 on: January 07, 2010, 09:20:23 pm »
Hi guys,

I think I found our culprit: http://www.emona.com.au/

They have been an official Australian Rigol dealer since they that early days, they have to play by the Rigol rules.

We actually have no idea if it's even an Australian company that complained, the odds are probably not, as it's not just Australian buyers that are affected.

Dave.

Andrew

« Reply #117 on: January 07, 2010, 11:40:48 pm »
It could even be Rigol themselves. In my experience Rigol is a strange company[1]. It could well be that Rigol decided they want to separate themselves from the cheap manufacturers and to establish their products are "valuable", so want to establish a minimum price barrier. Or official distributors complained to Rigol about the cheap offers and asked questions how these sellers could buy the oscilloscopes so cheap from Rigol.

---
[1] I have already written elsewhere that I have trouble with Rigol regarding their DG1022 function generator PC software, so I am biased (In the rare cases I get answers that don't make sense. Latest Rigol claim: suddenly there is a "new" DG1022, but for which they also have no own software or so. I all doesn't make sense.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 09:32:30 pm by Andrew »

icemagic

« Reply #118 on: January 08, 2010, 06:38:38 am »
I wonder if this breaks any competition laws. The guys selling the oscilliscopes for $388 on ebay certainly weren't dumping. I can buy it even cheaper if I used a drop-post service. I'm not sore or anything, I ended up buying the DS1102D for ~$1400. Its just annoys me when someone can claim a seller is doing something illegal, when they themselves are illegally stopping stock from hitting the market.

Offline dexters_lab

• Supporter
« Reply #119 on: January 08, 2010, 10:13:31 am »
i very much doubt the dumping was the ebay sellers, else they'd make no money!

more likley rigol were dumping them out to chinese suppliers who then sold them on ebay which then prompted resellers outside china to get a bit hacked off. Maybe rigol wanted to stir up some excitment about the 1052? maybe they wanted to shift a load of stock during a global rescession? Well whatever it was, it certainly worked... i bought one!

Offline xani

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #120 on: January 08, 2010, 09:41:13 pm »
Yeah, just ordered one from DE, ~$400 for 1GS 50MHz scope is just sick, i was wondering about buying rigol, in my country (Poland) they are for about ~$600.
I wonder how cheap scopes will look in 2 years... maybe some company will relase "Open Source" scope so u can modify it's software, add features etc. that would be awesome ;]

Andrew

« Reply #121 on: January 08, 2010, 09:45:24 pm »
My bet is also on Rigol being behind this.

I don't recommend buying Rigol, due to my experience with their joke of a customer service. As a test, try to get a firmware update ...

But if someone still wants to get a cheap 1052 you could try http://www.getbetterlife.com/rigol-ds1052e-50mhz-oscilloscope-color-monitor-1gsa-usb-dso_p797.html

The company looks rather strange, I have no experience with them and no affiliation, so it is your own risk.

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #122 on: January 08, 2010, 10:20:11 pm »
Yea I noticed that the support side of Rigol looks a bit crap but then you get what you pay for, they can't even make software that will run on vista !

Offline chemicaloliver

• Contributor
    • Chemicaloliver.net
« Reply #123 on: January 09, 2010, 12:10:23 am »
Yea I noticed that the support side of Rigol looks a bit crap but then you get what you pay for, they can't even make software that will run on vista !
Having just used the software to load a saved .wfm waveform you're probably better without the software! It took me about 20 minutes to find how to load the file, it's in a very odd place. The software seems to work fine  they've just never heard of usability.

Andrew

« Reply #124 on: January 09, 2010, 01:47:21 am »

Well, $700 for not getting vista or win7 software with a function generator. $150 or so would have bought me some disposable generator from some dodgy no-name Chinese company, but at least with barely working PC software. I am that ---><--- close to going ballistic on the Rigol "support". I know it won't change a iota, because it is management that is f... this up. But it will help me to keep sane. They so deserve it.

E-Mailing with their support is like pulling teeth. Rigol never volunteers information. And why the f... can't they just make new firmware available for download? Why does one almost have to b... support to get information about new firmware, and to get the firmware? And why don't they tell you what actually changed in the firmware?

I think I am now in the mood to send their "service" the mother of all rants. Just so they can have some fun on Monday. May their soldering irons fail at the most inconvenient moments.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf