Author Topic: The Rigol DS1052E  (Read 622655 times)

CharlieD and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline SimonTopic starter

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
Re: The Rigol DS1052E
« Reply #125 on: January 09, 2010, 08:24:08 am »
been there done that !, I think you can download the firmware but the mystery is how to flash it to the scope, probably with the software that won't run on vista/7

Offline Wmacky

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #126 on: January 10, 2010, 01:22:06 am »
Hi, New here!

After watching that excellent video from our host, I plunged in with a purchase of the 100Mhz version 1102E. The unit appears to be working OK, and appeared NIB. Strange thing is that the calibration cert is dated Nov 2008? This unit came new from a US based online supply house. I know these probally don't move as fast as the 1050e does, but that date is from before the official release date. Could they still have had original stock from their first shipment? I don't want a "return" unit!  The firmware is 1.05. Could someone check the firmware for there 1102E?

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 02:51:36 am by Wmacky »

Offline Brett

• Contributor
« Reply #127 on: January 10, 2010, 04:12:27 am »
Hi Guys!  Great info here.  I've been lurking for a while watching all of Dave's videos and reading some posts.  I just bought the Rigol DS1052E from an eBay seller, outside of eBay.  They showed selling a couple units right at the end of last year for $419USD free shipping, and the reviews are all positive (overall 99.9%).  Unfortunately the seller's auction is at $549 now, but I thought... "hey, you just sold one for $419 about a week ago... maybe I can still get one for that price".  Sure enough, they were willing to deal with me ($419USD free shipping).  5 days ago I sent payment, the day after they shipped through EMS, and already today it's through US customs and in USPS's hot little hands (soon to be mine!).

If anyone wants the seller's info, please PM me.  I don't want to get them in any kind of trouble if Rigol is forcing them to list it at new MSRP prices.  I don't think it matters much, but I'd rather error on the safe side of karma.  They were really great keeping me informed about shipping status via email, and I would definitely go back if this scope is everything I hope it will be.

That would be really sweet if we could modify our front ends to run up to 100MHz, but I'm ok with the limitations.  I mean, it was only $419 for crying out loud and it's WAY more than I currently have (which is a couple super old analog scopes that are more like museum pieces).

-Brett

Offline dexters_lab

• Supporter
« Reply #128 on: January 11, 2010, 09:22:39 am »
tbh i've never used the PC software, i just expected it to be crap so wont bother with it. It was the same with my instek scope so i just save everything to a usb drive.

The firmware seems to be good though, only found a few bugs/limitations, one of which it doesn't seem to save files in folders, only in the root of the drive and i'd like to see an option to send the trigger point to the beginning of the capture area so i can use the full memory for a single event

i think it could have done with a couple of more front panel buttons too, save you going into the menus to change basic stuff like AC/DC coupling or AUTO/Manual/Single trigger.

But given it cost me £240 delivered to the UK from China, i shouldn't complain too much!

Andrew

« Reply #129 on: January 11, 2010, 12:30:49 pm »
tbh i've never used the PC software, i just expected it to be crap so wont bother with it.

With my Rigol DG1022 generator the problem is it is an arbitrary waveform generator. It takes up to 4096 points to define a single waveform for channel 1. It takes multiple button presses and knob turns to define a single point of that 4096 points via the front panel. So that is easily 20000 or 30000 operations on the front panel to define an arbitrary waveform. It is a PITA to check for errors or update a waveform. And it requires that you pre-calculate the points and then dully type them in, one after the other.

Without PC software the arbitrary waveform feature of the generator is therefore unusable. And that PC software doesn't work. Other features are also unusable, but the arbitrary waveform part being unusable is the worst. Rigol doesn't care. As fare as I understand it, they don't even care twice:

• DG1022s with 00.01 hardware, probably just 1.5 years old, as the DG1022 was released 2008

For those the PC software was intended, and that software doesn't work on anything newer than XP  (although Windows Vista was released a year earlier than the DG1022). All requests to get information if and when they will update the software are stone-walled. In other words, they won't do shit for 00.01 hardware.

• Newer DG1022s with 00.02 hardware. Maybe just a few month old, AFAIK indistinguishable from 00.01 hardware, except by the firmware version and maybe the serial number

As I understand it, for those the PC software was/is not intended and of course doesn't work. And for those 00.02 DG1022s they claim to have some LabView/VISA drivers for ages. Well, they have it online since four days.

Guess what, all instructions are in Chinese, it is not really clear what that software is supposed to do (expensive additional LabView license required or not?), and (second best of all) it doesn't install for me. Best of all, it is not supposed to work with 00.01 hardware anyway.

Now take this for comparison http://www.hantek.com.cn/english/produce_list.asp?unid=68  $150 buys you one. It has probably a product lifetime of three years, then I guess it will be dropped by the manufacturer. Or as I like to call such stuff, throw-away hardware. I usually don't consider such products. Its analog part (the output circuitry) is likely not on par with that of Rigol's DG1022. But they have NT, Win 2000, XP, Vista, and Win 7 software and even some programming examples. They have a product that can be used now, for the intended and advertised purpose. Compare the $150 to the (once) $700 for the DG1022. $150 buys you an arbitrary waveform generator for a few years, while $700 bought a DG1022, which is even to light to be used as a boat anchor.

No one at Rigol really talks to you. Getting information out of them is like pulling teeth. I have tried to get hold of someone in management (naive, me?). I always end up at their "service".

May their fuses blow at the most inconvenient moment.
--
PS. Rigol has sanded off two ICs in my DG1022. How unimaginative. They are either DACs or DDS chips.

Offline Technojunk

• Contributor
« Reply #130 on: January 11, 2010, 05:50:01 pm »
Hi folks,

The cheap ebay sellers are unfortunately gone :(
What is the best, and cheapest plase to buy a Rigol DS1052E? (Shipping to the Netherlands)

Niels

Offline Brett

• Contributor
« Reply #131 on: January 11, 2010, 10:36:09 pm »
Hi folks,

The cheap ebay sellers are unfortunately gone :(
What is the best, and cheapest plase to buy a Rigol DS1052E? (Shipping to the Netherlands)

Niels

I sent you a PM.

-Brett

Offline xani

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #132 on: January 12, 2010, 12:20:50 am »
I bought mine from http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.30573 tho i will wait probably next 2-3 weeks for shipping. Can't wait, first "real" (be4 only souncard "scope") scope :D

Offline Brett

• Contributor
« Reply #133 on: January 12, 2010, 02:42:03 am »
Hi Guys!  Great info here.  I've been lurking for a while watching all of Dave's videos and reading some posts.  I just bought the Rigol DS1052E from an eBay seller, outside of eBay.  They showed selling a couple units right at the end of last year for $419USD free shipping, and the reviews are all positive (overall 99.9%).  Unfortunately the seller's auction is at $549 now, but I thought... "hey, you just sold one for $419 about a week ago... maybe I can still get one for that price".  Sure enough, they were willing to deal with me ($419USD free shipping).  5 days ago I sent payment, the day after they shipped through EMS, and already today it's through US customs and in USPS's hot little hands (soon to be mine!).

If anyone wants the seller's info, please PM me.  I don't want to get them in any kind of trouble if Rigol is forcing them to list it at new MSRP prices.  I don't think it matters much, but I'd rather error on the safe side of karma.  They were really great keeping me informed about shipping status via email, and I would definitely go back if this scope is everything I hope it will be.

That would be really sweet if we could modify our front ends to run up to 100MHz, but I'm ok with the limitations.  I mean, it was only $419 for crying out loud and it's WAY more than I currently have (which is a couple super old analog scopes that are more like museum pieces).

-Brett

So I just wanted to update you guys on the status of my scope. 

I paid for it on Jan 5th.
It shipped out Jan 6th.
It cleared US Customs on Jan 8th.
It was at my doorstep this morning at 8:30am on Jan 11th! (only 6 days)

I JUST left before that for work... so I just missed it, and apparently no one else at my house heard the door.  Oh well, I'll pick it up at 8:30am tomorrow morning.  The USPS tag said it was shipped Express Mail!  Woohoo, sure was fast.

I'll update with my first impressions tomorrow.

Offline Wmacky

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #134 on: January 12, 2010, 04:36:21 am »
Hi, New here!

After watching that excellent video from our host, I plunged in with a purchase of the 100Mhz version 1102E. The unit appears to be working OK, and appeared NIB. Strange thing is that the calibration cert is dated Nov 2008? This unit came new from a US based online supply house. I know these probally don't move as fast as the 1050e does, but that date is from before the official release date. Could they still have had original stock from their first shipment? I don't want a "return" unit!  The firmware is 1.05. Could someone check the firmware for there 1102E?

Thoughts?

No one? 

BTW did your new rigols come with a protector sheet on the LCD? Mine didn't. I've never seen that before.

Offline joelby

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #135 on: January 12, 2010, 05:06:03 am »
The firmware is 1.05. Could someone check the firmware for there 1102E?

Mine's a few months old. Firmware 00.01.06. Serial number is DS1EB104803185. Is the calibration cert on a piece of paper that came with yours? I can't remember getting one and don't know where I put it if I did! Don't think my screen had a protector, but it was well packed and not scratched.

Offline SimonTopic starter

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #136 on: January 12, 2010, 07:42:03 am »
I think mine did not either, its recessed in the unit so unless someone does something stupid it should not come to any harm during manufacturing

Offline rossv

• Contributor
« Reply #137 on: January 12, 2010, 08:41:47 am »
Hey guys,

Back to topic, I received my DS1052E from DealExtreme today.

It took about 7 working days to arrive to Sydney, Australia from Hong Kong. I used EMS postage (was not very expensive).

I am now testing it out, so far looks good. Does not smell like plastic like some reported (due to grinding of ICs).

Of course the manuals etc are in Mandarin, but it's no problem to download the English manual. Also you need to change the GUI language as by default it arrives in Mandarin too.

For anyone who missed out and was looking at DealExtreme, they definitely seem to be OK in my experience.

Regards,

Ross..

Offline dexters_lab

• Supporter
« Reply #138 on: January 12, 2010, 09:51:41 am »
Hi, New here!

Thoughts?

interestingly, my 1052 was calibrated 30th Oct 2009, two days after i paid through ebay :-\

Offline flolic

• Frequent Contributor
    • http://filiplolic.com/
« Reply #139 on: January 12, 2010, 03:34:11 pm »
Strange thing is that the calibration cert is dated Nov 2008? This unit came new from a US based online supply house. I know these probally don't move as fast as the 1050e does, but that date is from before the official release date. Could they still have had original stock from their first shipment? I don't want a "return" unit!  The firmware is 1.05. Could someone check the firmware for there 1102E?

Thoughts?

My 1102E arrived directly from China two months ago, without any calibration certificate. Firmware version is 00.02.02 SP2

Andrew

« Reply #140 on: January 12, 2010, 07:15:09 pm »
To get the latest firmware you could try to mail 'service' (Rigol doesn't use the usual 'support') @rigol.com with your product number, serial number and current firmware version.

If you are lucky the'll mail you the latest firmware.

If someone knows a simpler way to get Rigol firmware I'd like to hear it.

Offline jone

• Contributor
« Reply #141 on: January 12, 2010, 08:41:19 pm »
Anyone know if there's a list of changes/fixes published anywhere?

Offline Brett

• Contributor
« Reply #142 on: January 12, 2010, 11:57:59 pm »
BTW did your new rigols come with a protector sheet on the LCD? Mine didn't. I've never seen that before.

Mine came in a sealed bag, in a foam reinforced double wall cardboard Rigol box.  It didn't have and LCD protector, but it had the bag... good enough for me.

My first impression of the Rigol DS1052E was, WOW!   This thing is small and light, bright screen.. fast menus.. not as complicated to operate as some people have claimed.  I love it!  It's exactly what I was looking for, and it will get a lot of use in the coming winter months.

Andrew

« Reply #143 on: January 13, 2010, 12:30:55 am »

AFAIK Rigol does not publish such lists. My attempts to get such a list for my function generator were stone-walled.

Offline Wmacky

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #144 on: January 13, 2010, 12:51:09 am »

I have the 2.02 firmware file, and upgraded the new rigol from 1.05.

HOWEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Futher reading suggest that you must ask Rigol first, as other rigol models have had hardware changes that only allow updating to a certian version for your hardware revision!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know if the "E" models have had any hardware revisions?  Mine seems to be working OK even thought I went all the wat from 1.05 to 2.02, but I could have bricked it! I have sent a email to rigol about this, but no response yet. I can share the file if anyone wants? Thanks for the response on the LCD protector. Being mine is 1.05, i was worried it was a returned/ repaired unit. However, it appears new, and the Rigol box tape was original, and uncut.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 12:55:01 am by Wmacky »

Offline Wmacky

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #145 on: January 13, 2010, 12:57:05 am »
The firmware is 1.05. Could someone check the firmware for there 1102E?

Mine's a few months old. Firmware 00.01.06. Serial number is DS1EB104803185. Is the calibration cert on a piece of paper that came with yours? I can't remember getting one and don't know where I put it if I did! Don't think my screen had a protector, but it was well packed and not scratched.

Yes, I got a full Cert sheet even listing SN#'s and Cert date for the Fluke calibration unit.

Offline madworm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #146 on: January 28, 2010, 05:54:18 pm »
I'm officially pissed off now.

I've just tried to order a rigol DS1204B in the US and was told by the shop owner that rigol has officially forbidden them to ship to germany! WTF !?!

European shops are way too expensive. I don't feel like paying a penalty fee just because I don't happen to live somewhere else. There's a price difference of about 450$, and that's _after_ paying import tax. Seems like I will have to look for a different brand.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 05:56:27 pm by madworm »

Andrew

« Reply #147 on: January 29, 2010, 12:17:17 pm »
I'm officially pissed off now.

And IMHO rightly so. I am also pissed off, but for other reasons.

I've just tried to order a rigol DS1204B in the US and was told by the shop owner that rigol has officially forbidden them to ship to germany! WTF !?!

It looks very much that Rigol is on a a witch hunt. They managed to get offers removed from eBay, and now this. I have attached an allegedly official Rigol document I found on the web page of a German reseller. The reseller was/is using this document to explain to customers why they should buy from them, and not in China.

To quote the main part of the document:

Statement of Rigol about illegal sales channel

TO Rigol’s Customers

Thanks for your interest in Rigol’s products.

Recently, Rigol noticed that some Rigol products are sold directly from China to Europe.
In order to protect customer’s benefit, Rigol declares that these are illegal sales channels.

Rigol doesn’t authorize anybody to sell Rigol products directly from China to Europe.

Rigol also can’t guarantee the warranty service to the customers who buy products from
these illegal sales channels.

Some products from illegal sales channels are not even originally produced by Rigol
Technologies, Inc.

Rigol recommends that customers contact our authorized distributor to buy Rigol’s
products.

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation.

James Zhu
Regional Manager in European Market

Hey Rigol, in case you haven't got it, alienating customers is never a good idea. And in these times of globalization you won't manage to hide the fact from your European customers that you artificially inflate prices in Europe.

---
Note: I have no way to verify the authenticity of this document. I have tried in the past to get through to someone - anyone - in Rigol to talk about and express my thoughts about their behavior. I failed and for me it is apparently impossible to get a message through to anyone beyond their powerless service@ ...  personnel.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 12:29:31 pm by Andrew »

Offline charliex

• Frequent Contributor
  • Car Hacker
« Reply #148 on: January 30, 2010, 06:49:27 am »
seems like a fairly normal grey import ban, corporate capitalism at its best.

Andrew

« Reply #149 on: January 30, 2010, 09:09:02 am »
seems like a fairly normal grey import ban, corporate capitalism at its best.

Yes, those who benefit most from globalization (corporations) don't want that others (their customers) benefit from globalization, too.

As for Rigol calling a parallel import illegal, well, maybe they should talk to their lawyers first, e.g. asking their lawyers about the first sales doctrine, instead of applying such scare tactics and bullying Chinese sellers and those buying in China. Maybe someone should tell Rigol that they haven't the power to declare something illegal. That's up to law-makers.

And for Rigol claiming they can't guarantee the warranty service. Well, those who have experienced the teeth-pulling with Rigol's e-mail "service" aren't in any way keen to experience any other kind of "service" from Rigol.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf