Author Topic: Snake oil  (Read 783494 times)

Offline Godzil

• Frequent Contributor
    • My own blog
Re: Snake oil
« Reply #550 on: January 18, 2016, 02:38:45 am »
This is advertised on the eevblog.com site!
http://energyinnovator.org/?AFFSRC=504369

does the video....ever end?

If I'm correct the "unknown patent" they cite on the website is this one:

https://www.google.com/patents/US512340

And of course, being able to power 5 100W lamps from 100W supply is not using anything like "free energy" of course... :D

And if you look at the DVD box they present, there is something that really look like the coil design... :D

Honestly if such a thing would even exist, it must be free, and not a commercial thing, and the "Big Energy" thing is completely stupid, all the power compan would be really happy to produce more energy and not have to expend time and money to find other way to generate energy that does not need petrol, gaz or anything that use non renewable energy.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 02:47:49 am by Godzil »
When you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective.
-- Yokoi Gunpei

Offline Sal Ammoniac

• Super Contributor
« Reply #551 on: January 25, 2016, 05:21:27 pm »
There's snake oil in the software world too. My all-time favorite is Gibson's SpinRite.
Complexity is the number-one enemy of high-quality code.

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #552 on: January 25, 2016, 06:10:40 pm »
There's snake oil in the software world too. My all-time favorite is Gibson's SpinRite.
Don't forget about SoftRAM.
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer J. Simpson

Offline Godzil

• Frequent Contributor
    • My own blog
« Reply #553 on: January 26, 2016, 01:24:00 am »
What is the probleme with SpinRite?
The wikipedia page does not speak about any snake oil issues
When you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective.
-- Yokoi Gunpei

Offline Sal Ammoniac

• Super Contributor
« Reply #554 on: January 26, 2016, 01:28:47 am »
What is the probleme with SpinRite?
The wikipedia page does not speak about any snake oil issues

Gibson's website makes claims for the product that can't possibly be true. See http://radsoft.net/news/roundups/grc/20060123,00.shtml

This quote from the above link says it all: "SpinRite is 80% hype, 10% dangerous, and 10% real substance".

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #555 on: January 26, 2016, 01:33:35 am »
Having actually recovered hard drives with Spinrite, that rather casts doubt more on Radsoft/Navas than on SpinRite/Gibson, IME.
In any case it is ancient history in computer years.

Offline Sal Ammoniac

• Super Contributor
« Reply #556 on: January 26, 2016, 01:42:57 am »
Having actually recovered hard drives with Spinrite, that rather casts doubt more on Radsoft/Navas than on SpinRite/Gibson, IME.

No one has said that SpinRite doesn't work under some circumstances, just that some of the claims that Gibson makes are absurd. His SpinRite pages read like something out of the X-Files.

Offline AlxDroidDev

• Frequent Contributor
    • Arduino Web Brasil
« Reply #557 on: February 03, 2016, 06:58:40 pm »
Never heard of "ionic feet detox" before, but today I stumbled upon this video:

110% Snake Oil!
"The nice thing about standards is that you have so many to choose from." (Andrew S. Tanenbaum)

Offline Godzil

• Frequent Contributor
    • My own blog
« Reply #558 on: February 04, 2016, 03:36:12 am »
Never heard of "ionic feet detox" before, but today I stumbled upon this video:

110% Snake Oil!
Me neither until some weeks ago (when Clive put that on his channel) that have impressive result isn't it? :D
-- Yokoi Gunpei

Offline SpectrHz

• Contributor
    • My blog
« Reply #559 on: February 14, 2016, 09:23:18 am »
Now, this made me do a double take. I'm scrolling through one of my favorite ebay sellers' products, minding my own business and BAM, I come across this, thing. It said, CD Demagnetizer. I figured, this can't be serious, no one is this ridiculous... right? I looked it up here on the forums and saw some people had posted about CD demagnetizers and how ludicrous they were, so I went to the website of the company who makes them, and they make a CD Ionizer as well!  It boggles my mind that someone would spend 500 dollars on something as assanine as a CD demagnetizer, or a CD Ionizer.

http://www.acoustic-revive.com/english/cd_dvd/rio-5.html

http://www.acoustic-revive.com/english/cd_dvd/rd-3_1.html

my favorite part is when it says
After treating both sides of a disc, the sound and picture quality will be dramatically improved. S/N ratio and dynamic range are improved and all instruments and vocals become vivid fresh. On the picture, it gives depth and excellent color contrast. Incidentally, a higher effect is provided when you use RIO-5II together with the audio demagnetizer RD-3.

treating both sides?! What, does it help you read the label better?!? Anyway, figured people on here would get a kick or ten out of this. absurd.

At least this is preying on rich with insane disposable income.
My blog, Maker, Engineer, Physics girl

http://spectrhz.wordpress.com/

The following users thanked this post: Fagear

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #560 on: February 14, 2016, 09:33:42 am »
Insert John McEnroe response .........

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
Snake oil
« Reply #561 on: February 14, 2016, 11:53:45 am »

No one has said that SpinRite doesn't work under some circumstances, just that some of the claims that Gibson makes are absurd. His SpinRite pages read like something out of the X-Files.

Yeah, I think Navas might be a little, uh, off... Here's an excerpt from the site you linked:

"McAfee used to sell 'virus free' cards to the gays in San Francisco. This was before he ever started working in IT. For a better than nominal fee, McAfee would have you tested for HIV, and if you came up clean he would give you a card good for half a year. It made it easier for the gays to get around and play like they wanted and it made it easier for McAfee to make money."

He then goes on with this elaborate conspiracy theory about John McAfee and Gibson and finally veers of into a "Gibson doesn't know any programming languages" diatribe.

That's just *one* of the nearly 50 separate very long rants this guy has about GRC. He clearly has a huge, pulsating, veiny, dripping hate boner for Steve Gibson.

http://radsoft.net/news/roundups/grc/
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 11:57:12 am by timb »
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline g.lewarne

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #562 on: February 14, 2016, 08:34:13 pm »
Now, this made me do a double take. I'm scrolling through one of my favorite ebay sellers' products, minding my own business and BAM, I come across this, thing. It said, CD Demagnetizer. I figured, this can't be serious, no one is this ridiculous... right? I looked it up here on the forums and saw some people had posted about CD demagnetizers and how ludicrous they were, so I went to the website of the company who makes them, and they make a CD Ionizer as well!  It boggles my mind that someone would spend 500 dollars on something as assanine as a CD demagnetizer, or a CD Ionizer.

http://www.acoustic-revive.com/english/cd_dvd/rio-5.html

http://www.acoustic-revive.com/english/cd_dvd/rd-3_1.html

my favorite part is when it says
After treating both sides of a disc, the sound and picture quality will be dramatically improved. S/N ratio and dynamic range are improved and all instruments and vocals become vivid fresh. On the picture, it gives depth and excellent color contrast. Incidentally, a higher effect is provided when you use RIO-5II together with the audio demagnetizer RD-3.

treating both sides?! What, does it help you read the label better?!? Anyway, figured people on here would get a kick or ten out of this. absurd.

At least this is preying on rich with insane disposable income.

Wow, their catalog is filled with all sorts of crazy!

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #563 on: February 15, 2016, 09:59:59 am »
And they'll probably be around for another 20 years, because the machine that makes idiots doesn't take breaks.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline BobbyK

• Regular Contributor
    • GameDesignIdeas
« Reply #564 on: February 21, 2016, 06:43:12 pm »
There are a lot of magic devices here, mostly made by obvious charlatans, but it's amazing to see "magic" products even on Digikey http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en/capacitors/aluminum-capacitors/131081?k=elna&s=42491&FV=fff40002%2Cfff80009&mnonly=0&newproducts=0&ColumnSort=0&page=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25, and from reputable manufacturers. Case in point:

ELNA Silmic Caps: Here is the description straight from their datasheet:

---
ELNA developed new raw material for the separate paper which use a silk fibers.
Therefore, this capacitor can give you high grade sound for your audio design.
?Due to the silk fiber's pliability, the capacitor makes a dream of the high quality
sound.
For examples ;
?To relieve the music's vibration energy.
?To decrease the peak feeling sound at high compass and rough quality sound at
middle compass.
?To increase massive sound at low compass.
?For bipolar capacitors, consult with us.

Miniature High Grade Capacitors for Audio(SILMIC)
All lead wires oxygen-free copper for extremely low distortion.
(Third high frequency distortion 10kHz,0.1A,-120dB or less)
? "SILMIC II" mark on sleeve
---

And they are rated 1000 hours at 85 degrees, which does not impress me at all!

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #565 on: February 21, 2016, 07:06:27 pm »
So what's the problem here?  ;)

They are properly and accurately describing the quality materials.
So the dielectric is made of paper made with silk fibers.
And they say it "can give you high-grade sound".
But then they don't say that it WILL give high-grade sound, only that it CAN.
And then, of course, "high-grade sound" is defined only in the imagination of the customer.
Does silk-fiber paper behave different than whatever they normally use?
Might be a good experiment for someone to do.

And they use "oxygen-free" copper for the lead wires.
That should score some points with the audiophools.
We don't need to mention that ALL of their products use "oxygen-free" copper.
That would destroy their illusion and make them think that Elna wasn't a quality brand.

They are just trying to sell the steak by highlighting some of the "sizzle".

In a sense, they are only practicing defensive marketing.
But, of course, many of us will object to the general devolution of dumbing-down the industry.

Offline Godzil

• Frequent Contributor
    • My own blog
« Reply #566 on: February 21, 2016, 08:01:04 pm »
Wow, taken one at random and see that:

1000 Hrs @ 85°C

That's pretty low quality...
-- Yokoi Gunpei

Offline Zbig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #567 on: February 25, 2016, 09:35:24 pm »
But then they don't say that it WILL give high-grade sound, only that it CAN.

A bit like the "Removes up to 100% of dandruff" on a bottle of "Head & Shoulders". Pure marketing evil or genius - can't decide. Probably both. It just states the obvious (well, you can't remove more than 100% of dandruff or can you?) but does not say it will remove 100% for one single person on Earth. So while it doesn't carry any useful information, it doesn't lie either while making it sound like a kind of guarantee at the same time. Can't stop being annoyed and amazed by this at the same time each time I take a shower.

Offline Sal Ammoniac

• Super Contributor
« Reply #568 on: February 25, 2016, 11:07:56 pm »
He then goes on with this elaborate conspiracy theory about John McAfee and Gibson and finally veers of into a "Gibson doesn't know any programming languages" diatribe.

You have to admit, though, that McAfee is a pretty strange guy. Have you heard about his troubles in Belize? It makes for interesting reading. I wouldn't dispel anything Navas says about Gibson just because of what he says about McAfee.

Gibson has toned down the SpinRite claims on his web site in recent years. It used to read like something out of science fiction a few years ago.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
    • timb.us
« Reply #569 on: February 26, 2016, 12:12:05 am »

You have to admit, though, that McAfee is a pretty strange guy. Have you heard about his troubles in Belize? It makes for interesting reading. I wouldn't dispel anything Navas says about Gibson just because of what he says about McAfee.

Gibson has toned down the SpinRite claims on his web site in recent years. It used to read like something out of science fiction a few years ago.

Good point.

It's funny, when McAfee came out a week ago and said he could break that terrorist iPhone for the FBI in a matter of days, for free, I instantly thought of Navas. McAfee is an absolute attention whore and knows exactly what to say to get the media spotlight.

The whole Brazil thing was bizarre. I think it was VICE (maybe Wired?) that did a super in-depth story on it and it was really interesting. I think McAfee might have some psychopathy going on or something; he's clearly got issues with the truth.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline cprobertson1

• Frequent Contributor
  • 2M0XTS / MM6XKC
« Reply #570 on: February 27, 2016, 10:17:10 am »
Just came across this little gem (no not crystal healing): "Original Earthing"

So the idea is that you earth yourself and get benefits.

The hypothesis, so much as I could be bothered figuring it out - is that we have lost the link to the outdoors by being indoors all the time... so by grounding yourself using their £20 earthing rod (1ft rod with a faux-banana jack) and their £40 grounding mat (um... you know, carbon-black impregnated rubber?) and literally grounding yourself outside (You can plug yourself into mains earth but it's not as effective because theres a house above the earth rod)... you connect yourself to the outside world!!!

I should buy 5-for-£1 ESD wriststraps from ebay and sell them as original earthing at £10 each like these guys are doing... I can probably work in these wireless wrist-straps in as well for people on the go...

I also just noticed that the tenma 72-7765 meter they use to demonstrate the energy (voltage, DUH!) flowing out of you is £15 - and they sell it and about £4 worth of cabling for £45... wow

--EDIT-- some priceless comments:
"ps. it is no use asking a regular electrician about it as they will think you are talking rubbish, look on Google instead"
(yeah, they think that because you're talking rubbish...)
If your feet get cold, why not put your hands on the mat? Socks will stop your skin making contact so use your hands instead!
(In fact, why not wear the grounding mat on your head!)
I ordered the mat, but didnt realise I wouldnt need the grounding rod as I live in the UK. Our houses are mostly earthed. BUT I was so impressed with the grounding mat that I have kept the rod just incase I go abroad.
(wait... so your house is earthed but you need a grounding rod as well? um okay...)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 10:32:19 am by cprobertson1 »

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
    • timb.us
« Reply #571 on: February 27, 2016, 10:39:05 am »
I just... I don't even...

What if you like, spend a lot of time in a basement? With a concrete floor. Then you'd be always grounded, right? Undergrounded, even!

Offline cprobertson1

• Frequent Contributor
  • 2M0XTS / MM6XKC
« Reply #572 on: February 27, 2016, 10:57:23 am »
What if you like, spend a lot of time in a basement? With a concrete floor. Then you'd be always grounded, right? Undergrounded, even!

HEY! NO LOGIC ALLOWED!

Wait... I spend 3/4 of my waking time in an ESD safe lab with conductive flooring... how come I'm not super healthy?

--EDIT--
OH JEEZ that is NOT SAFE at all :O... hmm, I had better report that actually - though maybe I can help evolution along by telling them to rotate it 90 degrees counterclockwise and then plug themselves in...
« Last Edit: February 27, 2016, 01:27:38 pm by cprobertson1 »

Offline MrSlack

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #573 on: February 27, 2016, 01:45:23 pm »
I also worked in a place with a conductive floor, foot straps, blue static jackets, wristed up properly at the benches. This was for about a year.

My health did actually improve.

Only because because management wasn't allowed in.

Offline AntiProtonBoyTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • I think I passed the Voight-Kampff test.
« Reply #574 on: March 01, 2016, 09:22:09 am »
--EDIT-- some priceless comments:
"ps. it is no use asking a regular electrician about it as they will think you are talking rubbish, look on Google instead"
(yeah, they think that because you're talking rubbish...)
If your feet get cold, why not put your hands on the mat? Socks will stop your skin making contact so use your hands instead!
(In fact, why not wear the grounding mat on your head!)
I ordered the mat, but didnt realise I wouldnt need the grounding rod as I live in the UK. Our houses are mostly earthed. BUT I was so impressed with the grounding mat that I have kept the rod just incase I go abroad.
(wait... so your house is earthed but you need a grounding rod as well? um okay...)
The testimonials are hilarious. As for the grounding rod, I'm sure he has other uses for it... if you know what i mean.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf