Author Topic: (AU) mostly. What recommended PVR now that SBS HD has gone Mpeg4?  (Read 1936 times)

Offline wilfredTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 03:22:11 am by wilfred »

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
Re: (AU) mostly. What recommended PVR now that SBS HD has gone Mpeg4?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 06:51:09 am »
One of the concerns I have with a smart TV is that you can only watch recorded programs on the same TV. Someone want to confirm that? I've never really looked deep into it, it is just something I heard.
Enforced by the mockingly named "freeview" group, otherwise simply a front for the commercial networks interests:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeview_(Australia)
So all the convenient features of the topfield devices like the 30s skip forward button and media management are all prevented from being seen by consumers. Digital television roll out in Australia has been a farce blocking any innovation from suppliers or consumers and perpetuating the status quo for the benefit of the commercial operators.

Offline apelly

• Supporter
  • Probe
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 09:13:41 am »
I use Myth TV. Once it's set up it has high WAF, but the setup can be tiring. And you'll likely need an old PC and some TV tuner cards.

I think it's awesome, but it's probably not suitable for people who don't have a tech bias.

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 12:16:10 pm »
I can highly recommend a raspberry pi.

If you have a TV that supports CEC, then grab a PI 3, 2 or 3 USB tv tuners, a USB hard disk and a copy of openelec.

If your TV does not support CEC, grab an infra-red receiver for the same device and solder it to the GPIO pins as detailed in a thousand places across the net.

Install the "tvheadend" back and front end, and bask in the glory of dead easy to use TV & PVR that records and plays everything and runs from either the remote on the TV (CEC), or a cheap MCE remote from E-bay (not CEC).

If you really like it, spend the 2-something quid and buy the MPEG2 decoder license for the PI and get better playback.

There are better and more complex configurations, but that is a great way to start and get hassle free "freeview" PVR level functionality. The multiple tuners means you can watch and record different channels simultaneously. It's all pretty well documented in the various wikis, and does the job.

I have a telly in the bedroom and there was already a data-point there, but no antenna connections. So I used 2 Pi's. One in the lounge with some tuner sticks on it, and the PI in the bedroom to allow us to watch TV. Saved me dragging an antenna cable through the roof and cutting a new hole in the wall, plus the wife likes the ability to use the tvheadend client on the ipad to set up the PVR and watch stuff. Lots to like, and it works with all the current Australian free to air channels.

The following users thanked this post: Someone

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf