Author Topic: Thoughts on Ben Heck?  (Read 50860 times)

Offline Dinsdale

• Regular Contributor
    • pretzelogic
Re: Thoughts on Ben Heck?
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2014, 03:11:39 am »
Ben's shows are pretty entertaining. Sometimes I get some inspiration from them. I don't make it a habit to watch, however. Nixie Pixel is very interesting. I've actually got more relevant info from her vlog (being a linux user). What a smart and lovely girl.
But these types of vlogs leave me wanting more detailed information. I see lots of videos that are just demonstrations of really cool projects, but nothing on how they were done. Viewers post questions that never get answered. Well, these vids are what they are. I appreciate the effort it takes to put out what there is.
But look at, for example, Kevin Darrah's 3-part 8x8 LED cube build. What a great job! I felt like I had built it myself at the end. I was worn out just watching it.
I had the idea to try my hand at Vlogging and trying to build and explain some of these "demo" projects. So I have done about six or seven little projects. I say "done", but that's only the hardware and software.  I can't believe the HUGE effort it is to document the simplest things. There is the video, which I'm trying to get comfortable with being a "performer". Besides the "live" shots, there is screen capture and hardware setups. And that all has to be edited. There needs to be a published WEB page for explanation, schematics, photos, and software downloads. It's a really major effort.
I know Dave has said that one of the main things in keeping interest up is to get new material out every week. I don't know if that's possible if every video is a project development video. I know I have a lot more respect for what Dave, Ben, Nixie, and all the other bloggers turn out for us. Maybe I'll give it a shot anyway and do it at my own pace.
I think I remember Dave promising a Vlog about his production techniques and workflow (hint, hint). That would be very interesting. Can't wait for that.
This can't be happening.

Offline baconsteak

• Contributor
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2014, 05:10:08 am »
I thought his old picture stories were funny. Thats was in 2000 though when I was a kid. I view him more as giving inspiring entertainment.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2014, 08:17:22 am »
Here is a shot of the credits (from a few years back)
Fair few people working on the show.
Looks like Ben does some editing (maybe a rough draft of the info he wants?) and then the graphics, production, and marketing people finish it off.
As he does upcoming promos at the end of videos, all this stuff would have to be arranged, managed and scheduled etc.
Big contrast to most other bloggers in our field who are one-man-bands.
Although Ben would have his hands full producing the new projects he does every week, I don't envy him, it would be a tough schedule.

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
  • Learning, very new at this. Righteous Asshole, too
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2014, 02:09:49 pm »
This could be cool...

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2014, 02:45:35 pm »
This could be cool...

ROTFLMAO!  :-DD

Offline jancumps

• Supporter
  • New Low
« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2014, 05:07:16 pm »
That's going to be fun. I hope that 'plop goes the weezle' is one of the soundbites.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2014, 11:51:11 pm »
Here is who edits and shoots his videos:

Online vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2014, 03:38:10 am »
Lately, I've stopped watching simply because I can't stand the interspersed video commercials.  It's really disruptive.

That's the only issue I have with TBHS. This is why I have always turned down every offer of in-video sponsorship.
Apart from that, I don't know how anyone could have a legitimate complaint about the content.

good thing too the last thing you want is to have a product you want to criticize and the manufatureres are your in video advertiseres, that could put you in a dificalt position

Commercial TV does it all the time,but they have a lot more bargaining power------if your competitor advertises on that channel,you don't dare not to!

Offline M0BSW

• Frequent Contributor
  • Left this site 2013, they will not delete it ????
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2014, 03:51:08 pm »
I can't seriously comment on Ben I've never really watched his channel, I'm sure he does a good job, as by reading earlier post he has a big following, to me it's a bit like watching TV if you don't like it don't watch it,
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 03:55:46 pm by M0BSW »
no one would or will tell me how to delete this account

Offline M0BSW

• Frequent Contributor
  • Left this site 2013, they will not delete it ????
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2014, 04:01:04 pm »
Lately, I've stopped watching simply because I can't stand the interspersed video commercials.  It's really disruptive.

That's the only issue I have with TBHS. This is why I have always turned down every offer of in-video sponsorship.
Apart from that, I don't know how anyone could have a legitimate complaint about the content.
I really like a show called Ham Nation, but the ads are really annoying, I suppose this is how the internet time is paid for, I like Bob Heil the main presenter of the show along with the other radio hams on there,  so  the ads are just about bearable if you hit the mute key quick enough.
no one would or will tell me how to delete this account

Offline abaxas

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2014, 04:10:49 pm »
I cant watch it :(

Every time he opens he mouth I think  he's Data from ST:TNG' ginger brother.

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2014, 05:52:18 pm »
When she was saying how slippery the locknuts were, I was reminded of the scene in Pretty Woman where Julia Roberts let a snail fly.

And you would have thought the BH show would have enough budget to afford a wrench for her.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2014, 11:05:51 pm »
When she was saying how slippery the locknuts were, I was reminded of the scene in Pretty Woman where Julia Roberts let a snail fly.

And you would have thought the BH show would have enough budget to afford a wrench for her.

Yeah, I was thinking "don't they have a set of nut drivers or small spanners?" when that was mentioned.  Pliers to hold onto locknuts - really?

I did watch a few more of his videos while laying out a board yesterday.  (I pick stuff that you don't need to watch very carefully, mainly listen)

The BH videos are somewhat entertaining.  No real low level detail, but they have a spot in the market too.

Offline con-f-use

• Supporter
« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2014, 08:27:04 am »
have enough budget to afford a wrench
Wow I read wench...

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: May 11, 2014, 10:44:29 am »
Do a Google image search..........

https://www.google.com/search?q=wench&safe=off

There are actually wrenches in there, but some images are best not seen.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #65 on: May 11, 2014, 10:52:15 am »
Alyson is an independent video producer:
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/alyson-herreid/4b/418/290
And the Producer is an Emmy award winner!
http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=1985339&authType=name&authToken=J1iI&trk=prof-proj-cc-name
Her production company Top Bunk Entertainment are the producers it seems:
http://topbunkentertainment.com/bio
This is who charges Element 14 the big bucks, a lot more than they pay Ben to star in the show.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2014, 10:02:47 pm »
And I just got contacted by the PR company that handles TBHS.
That's another layer of 3rd party companies who take their cut.
I'm beginning to understand why the show costs E14 so much!

Anyway, they have offered the Dave'Speak device to giveaway to my audience which is cool.

Offline Zad

• Super Contributor
    • Digital Wizardry, Analogue Alchemy, Software Sorcery
« Reply #67 on: May 13, 2014, 05:45:11 am »
I haven't watched any of the shows for at least a year now, so maybe things have changed. Maybe...

One of the first shows (possibly the very first) introduced Ben as an artist, not an engineer, and remembering that whilst watching the shows will explain an awful lot. He doesn't do theory, he doesn't have any academic background or formal training in electronics. My definition of an engineer is someone who can tell you not just what, but why. All the way back to the electron level. The BHS seems to go as far as "because hey wow cool" and "because glue gun". Props to him for flogging this well-paid dead horse for so long though.

Hmm, I know the fella who directed and produced James Burke's excellent science and engineering shows in the 70s and 80s, maybe I could get him to produce a show with me in? I would only charge $20k an episode or so. Bargain!

Talking of videos, I still watch AdaFruit's weekly advert (when I remember now that it is midweek, not at the weekend and I can have a sleep in the following day) and they do seem to be drifting off into "buying a component from China and mounting it on a pretty PCB, get some mug to write a tutorial for free then sticking a zero on the price". Still, it looks to be generating revenue in the $millions region now, reading between the lines. It also illustrates just what an unfulfilled demand there is out there for electronics gear. I give it 2 years before Limor and Phil sell it out to Sparkfun - or even Element14 - for a ridiculous Google type sum of money.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2014, 06:27:40 am »
And I just got contacted by the PR company that handles TBHS.
That's another layer of 3rd party companies who take their cut.
I'm beginning to understand why the show costs E14 so much!

Anyway, they have offered the Dave'Speak device to giveaway to my audience which is cool.

If it's a Tickle Me Dave, count me in.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69 on: May 13, 2014, 07:47:35 am »
He doesn't do theory, he doesn't have any academic background or formal training in electronics. My definition of an engineer is someone who can tell you not just what, but why. All the way back to the electron level.

Even if I agree with you about BH,

I present you Jeri Ellsworth, no formal training but she can bake transistors at home:

Sure others can do electronics without formal training.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2014, 08:05:00 am »
I present you Jeri Ellsworth, no formal training but she can bake transistors at home:

Very impressive. It's amazing what some people do. Reminds me that Chinese dude that built an helicopter in his back yard.

Offline con-f-use

• Supporter
« Reply #71 on: May 13, 2014, 08:24:22 am »
He doesn't do theory, he doesn't have any academic background or formal training in electronics. My definition of an engineer is someone who can tell you not just what, but why. All the way back to the electron level.
90% of the engineers I know, cant tell you the theory of operation of everything they use down to the electron level. That's involved quantum and solid state physics, and even professionals don't need to know all of this stuff. Part of the reason ICs were invented is to hide the complexity. If I'm designing an LED control circuit, I don't need to know how white LEDs generate their light. It's enough to have two simple equations that fall out of the sky.

Ben Heck is not targeted at solid state physicists, its target are hobbyists and for them it's almost perfect. Don't criticise a cow for not being an eagle!

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72 on: May 13, 2014, 08:32:09 am »
I think you are confusing 'engineer' with scientists / physicists.  The majority of the most 'interesting' people who have been interviewed on the Amp Hour have little or no formal training.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2014, 08:55:02 am »
One of the first shows (possibly the very first) introduced Ben as an artist, not an engineer, and remembering that whilst watching the shows will explain an awful lot. He doesn't do theory, he doesn't have any academic background or formal training in electronics. My definition of an engineer is someone who can tell you not just what, but why. All the way back to the electron level. The BHS seems to go as far as "because hey wow cool" and "because glue gun". Props to him for flogging this well-paid dead horse for so long though.

I think that's a bit unfair.
The show is designed to appeal to the hacker/maker/modder crowd, in a mythbusters style build format, it is not meant to be an electronics show. As such I think Ben is a great host for it, and you have to give him credit for the ability to come up with new hacks and projects every week, that's not easy. It takes a great deal of skill, talent, and commitment. Some are quite advanced and impressive mechanical builds too.

Offline Zad

• Super Contributor
    • Digital Wizardry, Analogue Alchemy, Software Sorcery
« Reply #74 on: May 15, 2014, 06:02:29 am »
To be honest, 90% (probably more) of the engineering that I know, was not through my Degrees. In fact, despite my Masters being in Radio Communications, the vast majority of useful (both practical and theoretical) knowledge I have in RF has come from amateur radio. Equally, without my formal education, there would be gaps in my abilities. It provided the structure to tie together what I knew from elsewhere. I sure as hell don't know even 1% of what Jeri does about semiconductors, FPGAs and high quantity low margin production though.

Talking of whom, Jeri may not have formal qualifications (I don't know either way) but she is an engineer through and through. Some people just are, we seem to be born this way. Somehow an engineer knows another engineer, irrespective of gender, nationality, skin colour or language.

By "all the way down" I don't mean that they can mathematically model quantum effects in semiconductors. I do mean though, that they have a reasonable idea about how each model in the chain operates, and can at least give some sort of approximate model to that operation. This does not mean you have to have the ability to perform symbolic calculus.

I thought I should watch BH's latest video, the one tearing down a classic Mac. He ponders on how old the hard drive is, turning it over in his hands.  At 7m10s it shows you a nice close-up of the HDD with at least 6 1990 date codes on display, but still can't work it out. He seems amazed that they did SMD "back in the 90s". Hmm. Very good presentation skills and a clear voice though. Also, for a bloke with a workshop stuffed full of expensive gear, he has a pretty poor set of basic tools.

Total appreciation though for his ability to produce new content every week. Even with a big sponsor and assistance, it takes a lot of work. When it gets to this level of production, the guy on screen is usually just a hired actor, reading out a prepared script. Maybe with an engineer off-shot giving advice. Talking of which, I think BH's show would probably be better alongside an engineer, with Ben providing the charisma and presentation, and the engineer providing tech content.

Towger, the reason many of The Amp Hour's guests are not formally trained engineers (although I'd probably not totally agree with that)  is because we are dull buggers, who can't really talk about the work we do. Most engineers are tied up in NDA agreements, even for non-military contracts.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf