Author Topic: Time-of-day not set  (Read 2783 times)

Offline PerranOakTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Time-of-day not set
« on: December 16, 2018, 03:00:05 pm »
Occasionally, I get this error on my Dell Inspiron (less than 1yr old):

Time-of-day not set  - please run SETUP programme
Invalid configuration - please run SETUP programme

I just click continue and it boots-up (Win10 Pro) fine except that the clock shows the date/time of when I last turned it off. Then the clock updates over the web and all seems ok.

WTF!?
You can release yourself but the only way to go is down!
RJD

Offline Twoflower

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Time-of-day not set
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 03:03:01 pm »
Probably the RTC battery is dead. Usually that's some coin cell or shrink-wrapped battery with a short cable. If it can be replaced by the end user highly depends on the specific laptop model.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 03:31:09 pm »
Oh right, thanks.

It's a desktop but is still under guarantee; I wonder if I replace the battery will this invalidate it.

I'd rather replace it myself than have all the call-out fuss.
RJD

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 03:41:05 pm »
I doubt it will invalidate it, unless the warranty specifically bars against opening up the case.

CR2032s (the most commonly used RTC battery in modern PC compatibles) tend to last a good 10-15 years in the average motherboard, so it shouldn't be giving out, but maybe it's a bad battery, or just not making good contact.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Offline tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 04:33:34 pm »
No warranty will be void if you replace the clock battery. It's a consumable item.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2018, 04:40:39 pm »
Might be a bad motherboard if you're leaving the PC plugged in when it's off - the clock battery should not have to do anything whenever the standby rail is active.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Online Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 12:35:56 am »
No warranty will be void if you replace the clock battery. It's a consumable item.

+1 to this. It would be reasonable for a user to replace an RTC battery (provided they know what they are doing) and not have it affect the warranty. It's not hard, just replace it with the same type, most likely a a CR2023 lithium cell.

Even upgrading a machine (adding more RAM, installing an I/O card) would not invalidate manufacturer warranty and even if they claim that it did, its likely to be in breach of consumer laws in your country.

If a replacement battery doesn't fix the issue, check to see if there is a BIOS update for your machine, it may be a known issue. Alternatively it could be a problem with the RTC itself or the motherboard.

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 12:43:53 am »
It sounds faulty to me. The RTC battery shouldn't go flat in less than a year. Tell Dell tech support and see what they say about this. If you want to check the battery yourself first then search for the service manual for your specific model/year of your laptop. Dell publishes them on their website.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2018, 02:22:14 am »
I did once encounter a motherboard that had a failed isolation diode which was draining the RTC battery. If not that then the battery was defective to begin with, a new one should last several years at least.

Online Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2018, 03:47:32 am »
It sounds faulty to me. The RTC battery shouldn't go flat in less than a year. Tell Dell tech support and see what they say about this. If you want to check the battery yourself first then search for the service manual for your specific model/year of your laptop. Dell publishes them on their website.

The machine/motherboard might be new but there is no telling how long that Lithium battery has been sitting on a shelf. Whilst they have low self-discharge rates, it might not have been "fresh" to begin with. The battery could be faulty as well.

I would recommend the OP test the battery that came out of it with a multimeter and a small load (such as a 100Ω resistor). Anything under 3 volts it starting to get on the low side although depending on the BIOS/RTC, some will retain settings down to 2 volts. If the cell is still good, it might indicate a fault with the motherboard.

Offline tsman

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2018, 12:42:11 pm »
The machine/motherboard might be new but there is no telling how long that Lithium battery has been sitting on a shelf. Whilst they have low self-discharge rates, it might not have been "fresh" to begin with.
That doesn't sound too likely to me. The Lithium coin cells are guaranteed to have a minimum shelf life of at least 7 years by the various manufacturers so it would have had to be sat unused on the shelf for far longer than that. Dell will be using millions of these every year as well. Some kind of fault with the battery or the motherboard is far more likely IMO.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2018, 02:22:32 pm »
Pretty easy for the monkey putting the battery in to have a bad day, or the little ceramic capacitor across it has high leakage current, making it go flat fast.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2018, 02:26:28 pm »
the little ceramic capacitor across it has high leakage current

Would a Thermal Camera spot it? Or you need do desolder all of them?
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2018, 12:43:14 am »
No way, not unless there was a direct short. We are talking tiny currents here, what you want to do is measure current draw between the battery and holder. It should barely register if at all on an ordinary multimeter.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2019, 10:36:46 am »
Thanks all. It turned out that the battery in my brain was flat too!

My guarantee had expired about a week before this error!

Anyway, nothing to lose now so I opened it up (remarkably easy, I thought) and replaced the battery.

All is well now! Thank you very much.
RJD

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2019, 01:31:37 am »
Thanks all. It turned out that the battery in my brain was flat too!
That tends to happen to many of us - especially around this time of year.

My guarantee had expired about a week before this error!
Typical.

Anyway, nothing to lose now so I opened it up (remarkably easy, I thought) and replaced the battery.

All is well now! Thank you very much.
A lot less trouble than chasing a guarantee....

The following users thanked this post: PerranOak

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf