Author Topic: To speak or not to speak, that is... my youtube channel video suggestion request  (Read 5377 times)

Online hozoneTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
To speak or not to speak, that is the question. (about my youtube channel)

Hello, I'm the guy behind a SMALL, really SMALL, youtube video channel about electronic.
It's https://www.youtube.com/davidegironi
Up to now I do NOT speak in my videos, due to my bad english.
What I'm going to ask you is a suggestion, do I have to post video with voice even if my english is not good?
As example, find below a link with a video with voice that I'm going to post in the next months:
https://youtu.be/GGBjrNPKh24

Thank you for your feedback!

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
Some really really good YouTubers manage to make their art without a word of spoken English.

I'd suggest just using your native language. If you're adamant about using English, I'd recommend getting someone who knows English better than you to look over scripts, and then to just use hard subtitles.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
It's not as bad as you think it is, at least in my opinion. Captions or subtitles would be nice if they're not too much trouble, but I've heard "native English speakers" that are harder to understand. I'd say go for it.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
It's not as bad as you think it is, at least in my opinion. Captions or subtitles would be nice if they're not too much trouble, but I've heard "native English speakers" that are harder to understand. I'd say go for it.

I agree with rdl.  I had no trouble understanding you.  Ultimately, you won't know how it will go over until you try it for real.  Give it your best and I think you will do fine.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
Yeah, it's absolutely not bad. Mistakes in speech are much less annoying to people (at least English speakers) than mistakes in text. You sound perfectly fine.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
Speak or not, but instructional videos why rely on speech are, IMO, a pain. Unlike a book (or subtitles, or even just a good illustrative video) you can't pause speech and rehear it as you fiddle with something. You can't quick-scan to the bit you need to be unable to rehear, etc. So if you could just make your video good without speech, then adding your voice is surely just icing on the cake - the viewer can mute you if they want, after all.

BTW, using a stand for your camera should be, I think, a far more important concern.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
I think it depends a lot on the sort of video how helpful speaking is. The worst is when someone dubs in annoying music, that's worse than silence.

Don't worry too much about poor english, it's a difficult language to master, yours is good enough.

The following users thanked this post: Dataforensics

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
I think your English is OK, no worries. Everyone gets you are not a native speaker but so what - your speech is easy to understand that's what matters the most.  There are much much worse English speakers on Youtube, even on the large channels.

You can also use a few tricks from the pros working in radio or TV - prepare a script and write down what you want to say beforehand. That helps to avoid having a "brainfart" in the middle of the recording and going "Eeee hmmm mhmm FOO  mhmm eeeehm BAR ...." because you suddenly can't remember some word or you say something wrong. That's why news anchors read off a teleprompter and have all those papers around, for example - it lowers the risk of screwing up a live broadcast. In a recording you can always redo the take and edit it out but that still takes time and work.

But if you don't want to speak (not everyone is fond of performing in front of an audience!) then use some sort of background sound track and subtitles instead.

The worst option that you should avoid is a video with not a single word spoken only some hands "miming" something on camera while we hear all the ambient noise. That looks terrible.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 10:01:08 pm by janoc »

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
I think it depends a lot on the sort of video how helpful speaking is. The worst is when someone dubs in annoying music, that's worse than silence.

Don't worry too much about poor english, it's a difficult language to master, yours is good enough.

Yes, no background music during the video. It is almost always annoying and distracting on non-frivolous videos. A short intro with music is okay, but don't do like some and have people suffer through, or fast forward past, a 30 second intro for a 2 minute video.

The following users thanked this post: Electro Detective

Offline lem_ix

• Regular Contributor
It was perfectly understandable, don't worry about it :-+ Also it will improve over time, for example you can really hear the progress on the TRX Bench channel.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
Your English is fine and your voice is easy to listen to.  Personally, I would rather have the audio.   Good luck with your channel.   

Offline DimitriP

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
What I'm going to ask you is a suggestion, do I have to post video with voice even if my english is not good?

You sound fine. Your  English sounds like English.  :-+  No reason to be apologetic.
Carry on   :)

If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
I think your English is fine. The most annoying thing to me is the high-pitched whine of the motors: if you applied a 12dB/oct low-pass filter around 12kHz it should be possible to clean it up.

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor

Yes, no background music during the video. It is almost always annoying and distracting on non-frivolous videos. A short intro with music is okay,

but don't do like some and have people suffer through, or fast forward past, a 30 second intro for a 2 minute video.

Second vote for no background music whilst talking

I would prefer no music at all, but if there is 'task music' only, at least the viewer has the option to MUTE the sound,
as long as it's clear when the Youtuber is speaking again, perhaps some subtitles?

Some of the annoying chaotic noise aka club crap or metal muck 'music' that many youtubers abuse their viewers with in the background, is tragic    :palm:

I won't tolerate those videos anymore, no matter the content,

especially after time wasted sitting through the stupid useless ads hosted by unemployable snobby smartass hipstards  :--

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.

I won't tolerate those videos anymore, no matter the content,

Music is the Number One rejection from my lists.  Pity because some Indian YTers are very serious and try to do a good job but I guess it is a culture thing for them to make every video a music video.  I think there is only one in the lists (I forgot who).

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Your English is fine and your voice is easy to listen to.  Personally, I would rather have the audio.   Good luck with your channel.   

Yeah, I think your voice is fine and easy to understand. Keep it up. I hate technical videos without commentary.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog

Yes, no background music during the video. It is almost always annoying and distracting on non-frivolous videos. A short intro with music is okay,

but don't do like some and have people suffer through, or fast forward past, a 30 second intro for a 2 minute video.

Make that 3.

You can make background music work, but most creators don't have the ability to do it right.
Even a professional film maker, director and editor friend of mine, if I may say so, adds too much background music sometimes. Some are good, but others I find a bit frustrating:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOepzhfgouq_rPxDx-kCn7Q

« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 04:05:02 am by EEVblog »

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
  • I am the cult of personality
    • Thundertronics
I am a native Arab so English is not my mother tongue, yet people tell me that it is ok. You have people like electroboom and voltlog who are successful but with a weird accent... not to mention greatscott who sometimes pronounce words wrong but still nice. Because people wants to understand what you mean, and you can do it even if you get one mistake per line that you speak.

In my channel, I will try to make unscripted natural unplanned videos like talking to audience with explaining stuff on white board. This will help me improve and should be ok to you too.

As for music, I use them but people seem to have mixed feelings about them.

For me I hate technical videos without audio commentary... it is just not useful at all! Because if you don't speak, then I would be forced to read written stuff which makes the whole video a bad experience!

• Super Contributor
Even Youtuber AvE's alcohol fueled BS ramblings in between his serious blabwork and teardowns  :-+

is light years better than most of the unbelievably crappy MOOOzik some Youtubers MISTAKENLY think viewers with working ears would care to abuse their hearing and senses with

Silence still has GOLD potential in 2018
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 09:40:50 am by Electro Detective »

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
Even Youtuber AvE's alcohol fueled BS ramblings in between his serious blabwork and teardowns  :-+

is light years better than most of the unbelievably crappy MOOOzik some Youtubers MISTAKENLY think viewers with working ears would care to abuse their hearing and senses with

Silence still has GOLD potential in 2018

However, there are good channels with music such as greatscott.

I used music in my video about LM35 temp. sensor and I think it is light enough not to damage your ears. xD

Offline cat87

• Regular Contributor
I think yout english sounds ok. The video itself is entertaining and I'd have no problem listening and watching this.
Keep up the good work.   :-+

Offline ucanel

• Regular Contributor
Of course speak.

For me it is not important how well narrator speaks English
the important part is what he or she says,
if it is valuable important what I need kind of script I would listen happily.
If he or she speaks fluently I think it as a bonus.

I am not a native speaker of English,
I do not like no voice only subs videos,
for me speaking is better in videos,
yours is good, easily understandable, I would rather you speak.

• Regular Contributor
THANK YOU ALL for your feedback!
I will make my new videos with voice when needed, trying to write down some sort of plot to follow in order to help me.

I must admin my english grew up listening to videos, really big part of that videos are Dave's one, but do not blame him for my mistakes :D eheheh

Again, THANKS!

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog

When does Great Scott use music? It's not over his commentary parts.

• Super Contributor
Music over commentary/speaking in my case means instant 'Click on that next relevant Youtube..."

..no matter what the music style is... if some of the noise a lot of tubers 'get into' and mistakenly desire to 'share' can be classed as music  :palm:

It's enough brain effort to follow (and remember) the Youtuber's proceedings, without having to pump up concentration levels and exclude unnecessary sounds as well,
whilst paying attention to the real world around you.. in case the unfinished mancave ceiling starts to come down, or a blocked dunny has flooded the hallway...  :-[

It's worth starting a thread "Post your worst Youtube commentary polluted with music to chuck up to  which put you off"

Winner gets a DSO

Offline SL4P

• Super Contributor
  • There's more value if you figure it out yourself!
You don't need to record the video in a single take - which would then allow you to use a tripod or other rig to hold the camera steady.
You can still use your 'free' hand to point and manipulate the project as needed.

Also lets you record multiple takes of a tricky segment, and choose the best in 'post'.

Hand-held for specific close-ups, or to pan across the project, but steady helps save the viewers from seasickness

Your speech is fine, just take it easy, and it will improve over time anyway.
Don't ask a question if you aren't willing to listen to the answer.

Offline Harb

• Regular Contributor
Your voice is great..........I watch a lot of video with non english speaking hosts........your video is way better than a lot of those, you commentary is quiet good, so keep it up.
Like others have said, I hate video's with no voice.......I generally just click to a different video as soon as it looks like its not going to have commentary.

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
For unscripted videos, no music is a must. However, what about those videos with voice-over?

• Super Contributor
@ hozone

I can understand you perfectly, good microphone sound and balance, slow clear speaking with no mumbling 

Don't change a thing !    :-+

Offline Harb

• Regular Contributor
For unscripted videos, no music is a must. However, what about those videos with voice-over?

Music for intro's and Outro's but thats it.......if its a technical or other instructional video music is bad.....it is very distracting, and if its not the type of music you like it will kill the video completely....

Offline janekm

• Supporter
It's interesting to see everyone's comments on background music. I've been meaning to make a few more videos, and have considered adding low volume background music to cover over the inevitable light background noise due to not having a perfect recording environment. But perhaps I should reconsider   :-X

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics

Music for intro's and Outro's but thats it.......if its a technical or other instructional video music is bad.....it is very distracting, and if its not the type of music you like it will kill the video completely....

but greatscott is very popular and largely successful channel and he uses music in all videos.

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Your English is fine. Bear in mind that unlike many other languages, most English speakers are very used to hearing it being spoken with all sorts of different accents and quirks, so an accent or less-than perfect language skills doesn't significantly affect understandability.

Also remember that sometimes people watch videos while not 100% concentrating on the video - they may be multiplexing with other tasks, so a soundtrack means you can still follow without having eyes on the screen 100% of the time,
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
I found your commentary to be perfectly understandable, and had no problem at all with your accent.  Definitely do your videos with commentary.   :-+

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

• Super Contributor
Attention ALL Youtubers considering background music in any style/vibe/whatever    during dialogue:

I won't be watching it, nor will I recommend it to anyone anywhere EVER

Hey, like I'm only one person with that attitude, but -please consider- in case there are billions of viewer/clickers like me    :popcorn:

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics
Attention ALL Youtubers considering background music in any style/vibe/whatever    during dialogue:

I won't be watching it, nor will I recommend it to anyone anywhere EVER

Hey, like I'm only one person with that attitude, but -please consider- in case there are billions of viewer/clickers like me    :popcorn:

I used music because I thought 50% of viewers like it and the other 50% don't. And I will be honest and say that greatscott channel was the main reason I went with music despite anything else. Simply because it is successful and popular which gave me the implication that music is a nice addition.

If you say many viewers like you hate music, why greatscott is popular? perhaps the most popular electronics projects channel. I don't say your opinion is wrong though.

Offline Fire Doger

• Regular Contributor
  • Stefanos
You sound great, English is not my mother tongue either and I had no problem understanding.
Your accent does not pierce my ears, I could easily watch your videos.  :-+

The only acceptable music is milling metal and motors.
If I want to listen music I can type a song on search bar.

GreatScott is famous because of the content quality, steady camera, high res, nice explanation with script and nice editing without dead periods.
Focus on content, not marketing.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 11:15:07 am by Fire Doger »

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
    • Thundertronics

When does Great Scott use music? It's not over his commentary parts.

What?

greatscott has music on the entire video including voice-overs. It is a light background music which is what I meant. He does not mute it when he speaks.

Offline ucanel

• Regular Contributor
but greatscott is very popular and largely successful channel and he uses music in all videos.
  As mentioned his success could not be only about background music.
In this perspective we need to take into consideration "Primitive Technology" channel and
do not put any speech and music into any videos, just nature and hand made tools sounds enough.

I also like when Dave fast forwards some parts with fast forwarded whistle, it sounds very entertaining to me.

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
Slightly hijacking your thread, this article may interest you and any other budding vlogger:

https://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/2018/04/youtube-subtitles-why-create-them/

In the context of this thread, if you have the subtitles you don't need to worry about how your voice sounds - the viewer can listen or not but the content is still useful.

• Regular Contributor
Thank you all for your feedback!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf