Author Topic: Torx bit recomendations  (Read 4254 times)

Offline VgkidTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Torx bit recomendations
« on: May 15, 2018, 09:58:27 pm »
I figured there would be a few of the members here who do woodworking , and or construction. So what do you recommend for torx bits for a drill/impact driver.
Recommendations welcome , currently I'm using some older dewault bits(they seem to hold up well) . When my late father built our fence he used square drive(Robertson) bits.
Backstory:
Fixing / building a fence
Edit price_ below 8 for 2 , though if there are multi-packs , I will spend more.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline Tom45

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Torx bit recomendations
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 10:15:47 pm »
These days many boxes of outdoors wood screw include a matching driver bit in the box. I just use the bit that comes with the screws and have yet to wear out the bit.

Offline sokoloff

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 10:33:53 pm »
Wow, Tom45, you've had better luck than me. I find the Torx bits included in the box to be barely made of metal, but more like a Playdough and Chinesium alloy.

I'm a fan of Wera tools in general. The Wera T25 bits are ~$1.25-1.50ea in boxes of 10 or 20 and I find them well made and fairly durable. When using them, it's important to really set the bit into the screw, especially if you're in a dirty environment (fence projects attract mud) or if you're using an impact driver.

Chadstoolbox has good pricing but perhaps the single worst website on the planet in terms of frustrations trying to find things. I've gotten to the point of finding the part number on some other site and then searching Chads and KCTool (who also wins no web design prizes) to purchase.

Offline John B

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 11:29:29 pm »
Even with the cheap brittle bits that come in a box of screws, the biggest factor in working life for me has been the head shape, ie I no longer touch philips head screws with a 10ft pole. Once the bits slips, it chews the head at an increasing rate. It requires you to use a lot of thrust force to hold the bit on the screw. If you've ever had to do a couple of hundred screws, you know it takes a toll on the arms and wrists.

Torx is good, but my favourite is a sqaure head. Never chewed up a square head and there's no thrust force required. Even with cheap torx bits Ive never had an issue.

Offline Tom45

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 12:11:20 am »
I agree with John to avoid phillips head screws.

My brother is a wood worker and he once told me he used square drive screws because they were better quality screws. ie, choose the screws first and then the choice of bit is determined for you.

I use a DeWalt battery powered impact driver and don't have problems with the supplied bits. That's usually with screws no longer than 3 or 4 inches and screwing into soft woods. Perhaps hardwood would be different. Or maybe the threads on some screws aren't as well made and require more effort to penetrate.

Tom

Offline Homer J Simpson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 03:11:52 am »

I have bought a couple of these and they have held up well.

Lots of other bits and fasteners from this seller.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TORX-Driver-Bit-Set-2-inch-T10-T15-T20-T25-T30-T40-Quick-Change-Shank/161167311852?hash=item25865203ec:g:jesAAOSwqrtWnqPk

Offline VgkidTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 05:34:46 am »
Looking into e-pay , the Wiha's aren't to badly priced. Will look into the others as well.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline Jwalling

• Supporter
  • This is work?
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 09:29:55 am »
Looking into e-pay , the Wiha's aren't to badly priced. Will look into the others as well.

+1 on Wiha. Expensive, but they seem to last forever without losing their sharp splines.
Jay

System error. Strike any user to continue.

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 03:44:35 pm »
Wiha and Wera bits are generally good quality. With Torx bits it is important to use the right size: while one can drive a TX25 screw with a TX20 bit it would not last long.

For woodworking and with a good tool the Torx bits usually last very long, except some of the TX20s with screw that are just too large for them (e.g. 6 x 80). Some of the screw manufacturers tried to reduce the number of sizes and eliminated the TX15 and Tx25 size - however the somehow screwed up on that  :-DD.

Offline shteii01

• Frequent Contributor

The following users thanked this post: sokoloff

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2018, 08:57:07 pm »
I replaced all my woodscrews and few metal bolts with Torx.
Although I have quite expensive Bosch bits (with the hardened steel golden tip)I also have standard grade bits for €1,25 at the hardware store.
To be honest there is little difference, both don't wear out that much with normal use and I only have to replace them since I loose them sometimes  :)
If you do very heavy woodwork with lots if force and the hammering type of screwdriver it might be a different story however;
The pro builders I talked to just say, I rather buy a box of bits for €1 a piece and replace the bits every week then buy an expensive bit to use for weeks. Why? Because if the expensive bit wears out or gets lost I don't have a replacement, while with the cheap bits I have an entire box.

Offline iainwhite

• Supporter
  • Measure twice...
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2018, 09:15:07 pm »
Chads and KCTool (who also wins no web design prizes)

Haha - I agree about KC tools website,  but I have been happy with their service when buying Wiha tools.

Offline JohnMc

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2018, 11:33:34 pm »
I have been using a "impact rated" set of bits from Irwin for some time with my Dewalt impact. 

Offline sokoloff

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2018, 06:59:41 pm »
wera t25, 3.78 USD: https://www.amazon.com/Wera-05072409001-Screwdriver-Socket-Bits/dp/B001553T5M/
That was a smoking deal and I bought 10 boxes of the bits in different sizes while they were priced like that. (Amazon seems to have corrected the pricing to more normal pricing now.)

Thanks!!  :-+ :clap:

Offline gildasd

• Frequent Contributor
  • Engineering watch officer - Apprentice Officer
    • Sci-fi Meanderings
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2018, 09:00:24 pm »
For framing I use 95% TX25.
The most common screw is 80x5 followed by 90x5 in boxes of 200 to 1000, whatever is available at that time in reputable supplier. Do not cheap out on screws for framing!
I usually use some Wera, but the best bang for buck where I live are Metabo with their boxes of 20 for 12€.
If you use them with some care, a bit will last over 10000 full drives! Far far longer than any other bit tech that is commonly available here.

Edit: KStools bits are also very good, but harder to find.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 09:54:29 am by gildasd »
I'm electronically illiterate

Offline shteii01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2018, 01:30:16 am »
wera t25, 3.78 USD: https://www.amazon.com/Wera-05072409001-Screwdriver-Socket-Bits/dp/B001553T5M/
That was a smoking deal and I bought 10 boxes of the bits in different sizes while they were priced like that. (Amazon seems to have corrected the pricing to more normal pricing now.)

Thanks!!  :-+ :clap:
We aim to please.  8)

Offline Dubbie

• Supporter
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2018, 01:43:49 am »
Just did a deck a while back...

I went through 5000 screws with one of the drivers that came in the box.

My wife did a few boards and went through 4 drivers in ~40 screws.

It's all about technique! If you hold the driver perfectly aligned with the screw, then your chance of slipping and damage are vastly reduced.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2018, 07:05:16 am »
Just did a deck a while back...
I went through 5000 screws with one of the drivers that came in the box.
My wife did a few boards and went through 4 drivers in ~40 screws.
It's all about technique! If you hold the driver perfectly aligned with the screw, then your chance of slipping and damage are vastly reduced.
With Phillips head I could understand this, inproper insertion, too less downforce on the screw and too high rpms on your tool, but with Torx you must be really two left handed to ruin a bit per 10 screws.

Offline Dubbie

• Supporter
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2018, 07:08:45 am »
.... but with Torx you must be really two left handed to ruin a bit per 10 screws.

will pass this on! ;D

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2018, 08:02:09 am »
.... but with Torx you must be really two left handed to ruin a bit per 10 screws.

will pass this on! ;D

I'm left handed and object to that statement  ;)

I've just worked my way through 2 boxes of 200 Torx head woodscrews using a Makita drill/driver and the Torx bit that is supplied with the screws, I've got one Torx bit still in the packaging as the first one is still in great condition.

I'd suggest the person who managed to damage the Torx bit is actually a chimp.  :-DD

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2018, 08:47:46 am »
Sorry I think the expression is having two left hands, not being two left handed.
but to be fully politically correct I will restate it:

"but with Torx you must really have two left hands if you are right handed and have two right hands if you are left handed to ruin a bit per 10 screws." :)

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2018, 09:09:27 am »
Sorry I think the expression is having two left hands, not being two left handed.
but to be fully politically correct I will restate it:

"but with Torx you must really have two left hands if you are right handed and have two right hands if you are left handed to ruin a bit per 10 screws." :)

I might just be yanking your chain a little ;)

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2018, 09:19:54 am »
I know  ;) , just a response to show how silly the PC stuff can get lately  :).

Offline gildasd

• Frequent Contributor
  • Engineering watch officer - Apprentice Officer
    • Sci-fi Meanderings
Re: Torx bit recomendatio
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2018, 11:51:41 am »
I know  ;) , just a response to show how silly the PC stuff can get lately  :).

I had manly man work with me on a renovation with 20+ years of construction experience that would have given his wife a fighting chance...
His problem was lifting the drill with the finger still on the pixies. Nobody had told him, and he had not worked it out himself. In 20 years.
He also had a drill that was « a bit slow » and used batteries faster than a troll can eat Oreos, upon inspection, he was using in fast gear on slow high torque stuff. The epoxy had charred off the rotor end and it looked like some of the commutators were welded together!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 12:31:10 pm by gildasd »
I'm electronically illiterate

Offline JaspaJami

• Contributor
    • Susijarvi
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2018, 12:14:30 pm »
My favorites are Wera: http://products.wera.de/en/bits_holders_adaptors_the_range_of_wera_bits.html

Only problem is that im also very good what comes to loosing bits all over my yard.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf