Author Topic: Totally illegible forum footer links - user interface FAIL.  (Read 17273 times)

Offline switchedmodepsuTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • !
Totally illegible forum footer links - user interface FAIL.
« on: February 07, 2017, 03:20:08 am »
With respect, but to be totally honest, the footer links at the bottom of the page on this forum are USELESS - you can't see mid-blue FINE PRINT links on a light/dark grey patterned background - it not only makes your eyes hurt but it's a MESS.

There, I've said it - do you have any plans to make it more usable, Mr Dave? I don't want to sound ungrateful - that's not my stance - my stance is WHO ON EARTH gave this the green light? You are one for pointing out design flaws without holding back for a second, so in the same vein I would hope you take this feedback on board... and, hopefully, act upon it when you have a spare half an hour.

Thank you :)

Offline Red Squirrel

• Super Contributor
Re: Totally illegible forum footer links - user interface FAIL.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 03:23:04 am »
That's just text generated by the forum to show the version etc.  Normally as per the EULA it HAS to be there, but it does not really serve much a purpose for the end users.  If you select you can still read it.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 03:25:37 am »
That's just text generated by the forum to show the version etc.  Normally as per the EULA it HAS to be there, but it does not really serve much a purpose for the end users.  If you select you can still read it.

Yup, this.

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 03:27:30 am »
So, it still looks a mess - surely it's better it can be legible than not?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 03:30:09 am »

Sure, if I can figure out how to edit the main template to change the footer colour I will.

Speaking of ugly, your forum name  is too long and overlaps. Much worse than the footer.

The following users thanked this post: switchedmodepsu

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 03:37:47 am »
I've never even scrolled far enough down to notice it. Surely there must be better things we can find to complain about.
VE7FM

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 03:38:29 am »

Sure, if I can figure out how to edit the main template to change the footer colour I will.

Speaking of ugly, your forum name  is too long and overlaps. Much worse than the footer.

Cheers mate. :)

Speaking of common sense (we are, after all), were my username "too long":

~1 Your forum should have a char limit and have prevented me from exceeding it, and ask me to choose a shorter username.

~2 The code for your forum should have been patched to cater for such a trivial condition; it is broken if it causes this error ONLY on my name length in a certain position in the layout; the internet is full of VERY long words, and MUCH longer char strings than this are present on this very forum - it would be a rather disastrous state of affairs if the internet couldn't handle long words. LOL! 

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 03:42:38 am »

Buddy you have guts to speak about a mess, when your long name is creating a mess.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2017, 03:44:13 am »
I've never even scrolled far enough down to notice it. Surely there must be better things we can find to complain about.

It's an observation, not a complaint. Let's not turn a simple "Hey, this looks bad, and it looks bad if your product looks bad - have you considered that, or maybe considered fixing it? Cheers :)" into a defensive thing. It IS a mess, that's that, period, and no - the earth is still spinning, but as a design minded individual, I like things to look right, and I hope Dave would too - imagine if someone sent in a PCB with such a horrendous ugly design faux pas - he'd SOON have a mouthful or ten to say about it, and then some.

Come on, it's common sense to have a nice, functional design. Then again, they do make sweeping statements about engineers and their blindness to visually pleasing design, don't they. I am an engineer, but I would fix that because to not do so would bug me to no end - it's UGLY.

Anyway, your choice, Dave, bigger fish to fry and all that :)

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 03:49:59 am »

Cheers mate. :)

Speaking of common sense (we are, after all), were my username "too long":

~1 Your forum should have a char limit and have prevented me from exceeding it, and ask me to choose a shorter username.

~2 The code for your forum should have been patched to cater for such a trivial condition; it is broken if it causes this error ONLY on my name length in a certain position in the layout; the internet is full of VERY long words, and MUCH longer char strings than this are present on this very forum - it would be a rather disastrous state of affairs if the internet couldn't handle long words. LOL!

What a classic example of turning something around and making it someone else's problem.   With 88 pages of new user signups I suspect that this has not been a problem for many, if any, others.

I hope Dave continues to spend his time as he has.  This forum thrives because of its content, not the perfection of its page design.   I have enjoyed some of switchedmodepowersupply's comments on other threads, in spite of the ugly mess his screen name makes.  I just assumed he wasn't concerned about appearances either.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 03:51:20 am »

Buddy you have guts to speak about a mess, when your long name is creating a mess.

+1 , yeah, big fail.  :palm:

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 03:52:18 am »
EEVblog members: "Why address a bug when the cause of the bug should go away?"

Genius!

The following users thanked this post: nugglix

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2017, 03:55:22 am »
People, SMPS has a point, no need to go on attacking him. Yes, his name is "too long" as well, both can easily be fixed. He was just bringing up an issue.

There are bigger problems in the world.

The following users thanked this post: Ampera, switchedmodepsu

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2017, 03:57:36 am »
People, SMPS has a point, no need to go on attacking him. Yes, his name is "too long" as well, both can easily be fixed. He was just bringing up an issue.

No, don't deprive them of their simple pleasures; it's more productive and efficient to attack the person who finds the bug than to fix it, thank them and reward them.  :palm:

"There are bigger problems in the world."

Yep, and apparently BIG names are a BIG problem for this forum, and yet they've not set a username limit on length. It's a BIG issue (and big on humility) to accept responsibility and take proactive steps to seek a bug fix, so they balk and panic, and attack me instead of rolling up their sleeves and attacking the PROBLEM.

Wow...  :-DD

I should like to bring your attention, folks, to the point that URLs are long, LONG strings of uninterrupted ASCII... so how come THEY do not break this forum so easily?

« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 04:04:41 am by switchedmodepowersupply »

The following users thanked this post: nugglix

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2017, 04:05:50 am »

Bullshit.

SMPS is a member on here for five minutes, doesn't like the decor and then posts an purposely inflammatory thread title. What kind of response would you expect?

iratus parum formica

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2017, 04:06:51 am »
FWIW - the outcome you don't like is the result of two elements - the colour of the text and the background over which it is superimposed.  The text will be SMF default and the background was Dave's choice.

Why?

What purpose would making it more legible serve?

In the scheme of things it is absolutely trivial - to the greatest degree possible.  To me, it does NOT look like a mess at all.  That bit of content is essentially irrelevant to the forum and it's functionality - and it's tucked down at the very bottom of the page - a place I never even look at.  And if you really want to see it, you can.  (Why, I don't know).

Calling it a user interface 'fail' is completely Over The Top.

So - do you want Dave to start trawling through the template to find out how to change the text colour? .... Or do you want him to change the background, so this piece of trivia is more visible?

I don't.

In fact, I don't want Dave to spend another nanosecond even contemplating this "issue".  He can do far more interesting, productive and actually useful things with his time.

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2017, 04:08:17 am »

Bullshit.

SMPS is a member on here for five minutes, doesn't like the decor and then posts an purposely inflammatory thread title. What kind of response would you expect?

Length of membership does not negate validity of observation of bugs and design flaws. Only a proud, pompous ass would say that. I wasn't arrogant, I pointed it out as a possible design oversight.

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2017, 04:09:47 am »
Goodness, what an angry lot we all are. Calm down folks.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2017, 04:12:34 am »

Bullshit.

Length of membership does not negate validity of observation of bugs and design flaws. Only a proud, pompous ass would say that. I wasn't arrogant, I pointed it out as a possible design oversight.

You're obviously very intelligent. So how can it be that you recently asked elsewhere for the definition of the word Trolling?

iratus parum formica

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2017, 04:14:34 am »

Bullshit.

You're obviously very intelligent. So how can it be that you recently asked elsewhere for the definition of the word Trolling?

How do you know I am intelligent?

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2017, 04:17:00 am »

How do you know I am intelligent?

Because a dumbass would have just answered my question with any subterfuge.
iratus parum formica

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2017, 04:18:02 am »

Bullshit.

What's your point? I'm sure he has used the internet before. I've contributed to forums and newsgroups 20 years before joining the EEVblog forum. Does that mean I'm "just a noob" who has no voice? I don't believe so.

Relax people. I'm sure SMPS means well. If he turns out to be a complete douche, then fine, but until then, cut him a bit of slack and give him the benefit of the doubt. This forum isn't a place so start flame wars, we're smarter than that. Go on IRC if you want to pick on people.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2017, 04:21:39 am »
Go on IRC if you want to pick on people.

:-+
iratus parum formica

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2017, 04:27:37 am »
This poster is the epitome of trolling, and his denial of knowing what the word means makes it the only logical possibility.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2017, 04:29:26 am »
As for the long name thing - the size is not really important, but it's structure is.

Here's an example I found.

There is no problem here as such.  The template will wrap the name, if there are places where that is obvious, otherwise it will maintain a continuous string of text for as long as it can - a behaviour that is not uncommon.

Besides, the only posts that are affected are those made by the member with such a long, uninterrupted string of text.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf