Author Topic: Toys you had as a kid.  (Read 30594 times)

Offline Homer J SimpsonTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Toys you had as a kid.
« on: August 27, 2015, 11:25:04 pm »
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 11:27:42 pm by Homer J Simpson »

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
Re: Toys you had as a kid.
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 12:24:42 am »
Tonka trucks, Erector Set, Lincoln Logs, Matchbox cars and green army men ;D
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Online CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 12:29:30 am »
I guess I was too geeky as a kid.  While I liked some of the standards like Erector sets and a Lego predecessor, my favorites included the spring motor out of some old wind up car.  Watching the gears spin around and figuring out what that thing spinning around did (an air stirring governor) provided hours of entertainment.  Or just about anything that sat still long enough for me to take apart.

Offline retrolefty

• Super Contributor
  • measurement changes behavior
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 12:58:35 am »
Started with wood Tinker Toys, Moved up to wood Lincoln Logs, and finally graduated to heavy metal Erector Set:

https://img1.etsystatic.com/000/0/5325407/il_fullxfull.275496725.jpg

After that it was mostly just electronics for the rest of my life.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 01:31:16 am »
lego lego lego lego and more lego.
i can't remember any other kind of toys. I only wanted lego. technics kits and big boxes of parts. it didn;t have to be the 'themed' kits. just a big drum of parts. i'll create my own idea's.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 02:26:22 am »
My brothers and I went to the dump every week. I had everything I needed and started repairing tv's at 7 (with the help of a family friend). Two brothers said it was horrible, two others great, I thought it was fantastic. Tools are my toys.

Offline gibbled

• Regular Contributor
  • VE7 call sign
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 02:31:29 am »
These were a few of my favorites.

Big Trak Wiki;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Trak

Speak and Spell Wiki;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speak_%26_Spell_(toy)

Merlin Wiki;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merlin_(game)
Meccano,  lego,  a chemistry set with a Bunsen burner,  batteries, lamps,  motors.

Had a knife in my pocket since six.   

Offline fivefish

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 02:49:30 am »
I didn't get to own this toy. Too expensive for my poor family. When I was a kid, I really really really wanted this. And in keeping with the "Electronics" theme, it's actually called "Voltes V" (Voltes Five)

Five individual toys, that you "volt in" together, and you come up with this robot.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/LLfPVAjs_mU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So I just have to content myself watching the cartoon.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 02:54:07 am by fivefish »

Offline calexanian

• Super Contributor
    • Alex-Tronix
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 03:07:48 am »
I was a Lego Fiend. Erector (Meccano for your Europeans), Lincoln Logs, HO model trains, and real electronics because of the family business.
Charles Alexanian
Alex-Tronix Control Systems

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 03:12:27 am »
In Spain we didn't have Lego but we did have Exin Castillos (Castles):

« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 03:16:30 am by miguelvp »

Offline bills

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 05:15:17 am »
My favorite was a ck722 transistor, and any thing that I could take apart. BTW I let the smoke out of the ck722 within hours of receiving it. than I got a 2n107 that I  experimented with. (lasted a few weeks)
Now here I am letting the smoke out of things I could not of dreamed of back than.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline bills

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 05:19:23 am »
I have a ck722 and a 2n107 in my collection. not going to let the smoke out of them.
Just for nostalgia.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2015, 07:24:17 am »
Meccano,Minibrix and a Stanley carpenters set in a case. I still have the Stanley Carpenters set in its wood case 50 years on but the book that came with has long since turned to dust. If I could not build something with it I was not interested as a child.

Online Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2015, 07:37:32 am »
lego lego lego lego and more lego.

Ohhh yeah... even today they are damn useful to put something quick together.

Anyway How many times I saved the princess's ass in the first Mario Bros?

Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline Deathwish

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2015, 08:10:59 am »
Wooden stick and a yo-yo, the stick was to hit my brother with if he tried to steal my yo-yo
Electrons are typically male, always looking for any hole to get into.
trying to strangle someone who talks out of their rectal cavity will fail, they can still breath.
God hates North Wales, he has put my home address on the blacklist of all couriers with instructions to divert all parcels.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2015, 08:25:27 am »
I didn't get my first real erector until I was about 13, I'd spend all day, locked away in my room playing with it. In fact, I still do.

As for toys, I'd have to say Legos, Capsula and a Soldering Iron.

Sent from my Tablet
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline elex_enthusiast

• Regular Contributor
  • Everything has user-salvageable parts inside!!!!
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2015, 08:39:58 am »
Mine was not so great but I was happy playing with a car/truck made of wood and tin cans, a spintop, then suddenly shifted into playing a screwdriver (I found from my father's small toolbox) and started tearing things apart  (usually electronics) which lead me to buy my first soldering iron with a wooden handle, then an analog meter.. ;D
Always learn how to break and fix things electronics!

Offline Chris C

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2015, 08:41:15 am »

The parts connected with little rubber rivets - inserted with a little rivet gun!  Unlike Lego, Erector, and so on, most of the parts had some flex, as did the connecting rivets.  So you could throw the airplane you just built across the room, and although it wouldn't exactly fly, upon landing it would bounce rather than shatter.

In 1978 some little idiot - that was plenty old enough to have known better - decided it would be more fun to eat the rivets, and choked.  Ruining the fun for everyone else.  Including me, since my mother was paranoid of everything, and upon seeing a news segment on it promptly threw it in the trash.

Offline elex_enthusiast

• Regular Contributor
  • Everything has user-salvageable parts inside!!!!
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2015, 08:50:11 am »
In 1978 some little idiot - that was plenty old enough to have known better - decided it would be more fun to eat the rivets, and choked.  Ruining the fun for everyone else.  Including me, since my mother was paranoid of everything, and upon seeing a news segment on it promptly threw it in the trash.

:-DD..haha I wonder how it tastes like. So what happend to the "little idiot" after swallowing the rivets? ::)
Always learn how to break and fix things electronics!

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2015, 09:31:19 am »
I had fallen in love with Fischer Technik
It was a German toy manufacturer and you could build much much more than with Lego, including electronics setup with amplifier and logic gates and motors and regulators. It was just amazing!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fischertechnik

https://www.google.de/search?q=Fischertechnik&client=firefox-a&hs=yOx&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAWoVChMIxJzO4bvLxwIVywUsCh31fQql&biw=1333&bih=918#channel=sb&tbm=isch&q=fischertechnik+electronics

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2015, 11:59:49 am »

:-DD..haha I wonder how it tastes like. So what happend to the "little idiot" after swallowing the rivets? ::)

He bounced instead of shattering.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline Dave

• Super Contributor
  • I like to measure things.
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2015, 01:34:51 pm »
Legos!

I have an older brother, so I had access to Lego Technic bricks from a very early age. All I ever wished for as a child were Lego sets. Birthdays, new year's eves, ends of schoolyears, always Legos. Sometimes my parents would join forces with grandparents, aunts, etc. and get a really sweet set. Man, those were the days. I would follow the instructions, built the model once and then tear it down the next day, because I needed the parts for something else. I could easily spend hours just tinkering and building stuff. Everyone thought I'd end up being a mechanical engineer.
I remember this one time, my brother told me that we should both build Lego guns and then we could play soldiers. He finished his gun much sooner than I did. He made a shotgun model with a movable reload mechanism. I kept building and he kept nagging when we are going to play. When I finally finished my build several hours later, it was a real thing of beauty. I had a pin attached to a trigger, which held in place a small brick. I stretched a long elastic band and fixed it behind that small brick. When the trigger was pulled (much like a real gun), the pin would release that small brick and the elastic would fling it down the barrel, shooting it out of the gun with force. For some strange reason, my brother suddenly didn't feel like playing soldiers anymore. ;D

I think I was 8 or 9 when I got my first Lego Mindstorms kit (bought it myself!) and at that's what shifted my interests from mechanical engineering towards electronics engineering.

If my kids (whenever that might happen) show an interest in Legos, they are going to get Legos. Lots of them. Daddy might tag along, you know, because someone has to show them how things should be built. ;D
<fellbuendel> it's arduino, you're not supposed to know anything about what you're doing
<fellbuendel> if you knew, you wouldn't be using it

Offline Fred27

• Supporter
    • Fred's blog
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2015, 02:00:52 pm »
Another Fischer Technik fan here.

Did anyone else have one of those Fisher Price record players? I rediscovered those recently and worked out that with today's "toys" (CNC mills and 3D printers) you can make your own records.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Custom-records-for-a-70s-toy-record-player/
http://www.instructables.com/id/3D-printing-records-for-a-Fisher-Price-toy-record-/

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Offline deephaven

• Frequent Contributor
  • Civilization is just one big bootstrap
    • Deephaven Ltd
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2015, 02:34:22 pm »
Mechano number five and one of these http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/pifco_all_in_one_pocket_meter.html high end multi-meters  :D

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2015, 02:46:38 pm »
  • Tonka trucks
  • Lincoln Logs
  • Erector Set (Meccano)
  • Legos
  • Estes Rockets
  • A RadioShack 150-in-1 kit from a garage sale, which then led me to buy an analog meter and a firestick, and my addiction enthusiasm for electronics has been undeterred since.  >:D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf