Author Topic: Tracking down presumably missing Linear Technology app notes and other mysteries  (Read 3873 times)

Offline slateraptorTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
In a nutshell, I was browsing LT app notes and noticed that a few were missing from their archive, in particular, 100, 114, 116, 121, 127, 130. I've managed to track down 2 of the 6 missing, but the others remain MIA.

First, a few simple observations on AN100 and AN114:

1) Both were written by one David Pruitt
2) Both concern testing performed on LT uModule LGA package devices
3) AN100 was published Feb 2006, revised Jan 2008
4) AN114 was published Aug 2007, revised Mar 2009

So why has this piqued my interests? As noted by Dr. Kent Lundberg (author behind Reading Jim Williams),

...Linear Technology maintains all of their old application notes on their web site. Even App Note 1, which discusses the obsolete LT1005, and App Note 22, which discusses the now-discontinued LT1088, are still available.

Well, in light of AN100 and AN114, apparently not. So the big question is what's the story behind AN100 and AN114? Who is David Pruitt and why were at least two of his writings dismissed from the LT archive?

It's quite plausible that the other MIA app notes were simply not written (or written and subsequently received the wrath of some manager who thought it unworthy of publication; your guess is as good as mine) but I have no way of confirming this. If anyone happens to have a copy of LT app note 116 121, 127, and/or 130, I'd greatly appreciate a copy for my personal archives. Also, if you happen to know the back story behind any of the MIA app notes, please, do share.

Offline McMonster

• Frequent Contributor
    • McMonster's blog
Have you e-mailed LT? Maybe it's just a bug on their website or a simple human error with maintaining it.

Offline klund

That is curious.  I hadn't noticed that AN100 and AN114 had disappeared...

I believe that Linear Technology assigns their app-note numbers internally long before publication.  Depending on how long the app note takes to write, and whether or not the parts are ready, the app notes may not be published in order (you can see the nonsequential order in the current list of app notes).  For example, speaking of Jim Williams, AN120 was published more than a year after AN122 (rumor was there was a problem in manufacturing one of the parts, so they had to hold the app note).  Sometimes app notes are held because there's an associated article to be published by EDN, and they get "first publication" rights.

So, some of the missing app notes may be still awaiting publication (although more than a year seems unlikely).

As for David Pruitt, you could try calling the LTC main number and asking for him...  :)

Offline sonicj

• Frequent Contributor
  • updata successed!
heres 114...

Offline sonicj

• Frequent Contributor
  • updata successed!
and AN100

Offline slateraptorTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Have you e-mailed LT? Maybe it's just a bug on their website or a simple human error with maintaining it.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of e-mailing large corporations for the obvious reasons. I suspect the issue is more than simple human error in light of the observed commonalities between at least 2 of the missing app notes. One missing? Sure. But two by the same author, and quite possibly more?? I think not.

That is curious.  I hadn't noticed that AN100 and AN114 had disappeared...

I believe that Linear Technology assigns their app-note numbers internally long before publication.  Depending on how long the app note takes to write, and whether or not the parts are ready, the app notes may not be published in order (you can see the nonsequential order in the current list of app notes).  For example, speaking of Jim Williams, AN120 was published more than a year after AN122 (rumor was there was a problem in manufacturing one of the parts, so they had to hold the app note).  Sometimes app notes are held because there's an associated article to be published by EDN, and they get "first publication" rights.

So, some of the missing app notes may be still awaiting publication (although more than a year seems unlikely).

As for David Pruitt, you could try calling the LTC main number and asking for him...  :)

If this who I think it is, then I first would like to thank you for all the historical work you've done. I suppose my linking to your website in the initial post must have left a noticeable spike in your web traffic stats. Thanks for chiming in. :)

I can definitely see how it's possible that 130 has yet to be released. But as you've noted, the other MIA app notes are considerably overdue (still within "first publication" rights window??) with respect to numerical ordering, and accounting for the disappearance of 100 and 114 is still up in the air.

I found Mr. Pruitt, presumably still gainfully employed at Linear: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/david-pruitt/11/b4/850

Gave LT a call today and was hastily reminded by the CSR that it's Sunday and I'd have better luck tomorrow since MLK holiday is a govn't thing. ::)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf