Author Topic: Tritium lights. Worth a look?  (Read 8801 times)

Offline apellyTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Probe
Tritium lights. Worth a look?
« on: November 17, 2016, 10:01:43 pm »
Some time ago tritium lights came to my attention, and I thought "Ha, that's pretty cool"

As usual, I haven't done anything about getting one, but I thought I'd have another look today. The usual suspects have them ranging in size from tiny to small and in price from $20 to $300.

I reckon some of you guys have beat me to this. Is it worth spending some bucks to get a tube? What's the smallest one you'd bother with?

Offline Fred27

• Supporter
    • Fred's blog
Re: Tritium lights. Worth a look?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 10:31:34 pm »
Some interesting stuff being done with these...
http://forum.biohack.me/discussion/1470/firefly-tattoos/p1

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 10:32:25 pm »
Aren't they just fun glow in the dark toys? (fluorescent)

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 10:35:00 pm »
Don't suggest cheap Chinese crap. They have tritium contaminated with other radioactive elements, radiation from which is not stopped by the shell. They aren't highly radioactive but I wouldn't put them in the pants.
In Russian, but you may have an idea. Pure tritium shouldn't cause detection at all, because radiation will be fully absorbed by the shell. Watch at 4:30

Offline AlxDroidDev

• Frequent Contributor
    • Arduino Web Brasil
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 10:45:47 pm »
I had Tritium sights on my Glock G25. They looked really bright at night. Too bad I sold that G25 a few years ago. If I ever get another Glock, I'll put Tritium sights on it again.
"The nice thing about standards is that you have so many to choose from." (Andrew S. Tanenbaum)

Offline apellyTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Probe
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 10:59:08 pm »
Some interesting stuff being done with these...
http://forum.biohack.me/discussion/1470/firefly-tattoos/p1
That is unexpectedly appealing!

Offline ealex

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 07:44:31 am »
i've got a green one from http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nite-GlowRing-Glow-In-The-Dark-Tritium-Clear-Case-Nine-Colours-Available-/141174790101

I keep it on my tent zipper when camping / on my key chain otherwise.
It's quite bright when your eyes get adjusted to dark - i would compare it to a firefly.

I don't see many normal-day applications ... maybe embed them in some gear you need to find quickly at night - i'm thinking of a head-lamp.

Offline dmills

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 10:55:14 am »
One good application for these is in emergency exit lighting, no need to run wire and you just need to replace the tubes every 20 years or so.

The units are expensive, but only until you consider the cost of the wiring you don't need to do and the periodic maintenance that is now on a 20 year cycle not monthly.

BetaLight were the manufacturer IIRC.

Regards, Dan.

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2016, 11:29:05 am »
I epoxied a couple of these into slots cut into some steps in my garden so you can see where the edge of the step is is at night if the lights aren't working.  Works really well.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline sainter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2016, 11:44:17 am »
I have a watch with tritium. It's very bright when your eyes adapt to the dark.

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2016, 05:38:18 pm »
One good application for these is in emergency exit lighting, no need to run wire and you just need to replace the tubes every 20 years or so.

The units are expensive, but only until you consider the cost of the wiring you don't need to do and the periodic maintenance that is now on a 20 year cycle not monthly.

BetaLight were the manufacturer IIRC.

Regards, Dan.

We used to have these at university, hundreds of them, possibly thousands.

One day one of the student bars was being renovated and the builders doing it took out all the emergency lights and threw them in a skip with other building rubble causing some of them to be broken open. The university's principal safety officer was not amused as this required an official report to the National Radiological Protection Board of an accidental release of radioactive materials. (It was me who spotted the broken lights in the skip so I was not a welcome messenger when I reported it to the safety office.)
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

Offline Ampera

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2016, 05:54:19 pm »
I had Tritium sights on my Glock G25. They looked really bright at night. Too bad I sold that G25 a few years ago. If I ever get another Glock, I'll put Tritium sights on it again.

Lol, why were you shooting at night? I mean yea it's cool, but you can't see anything unless your range is lit up.
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2016, 06:32:09 pm »

Lol, why were you shooting at night? I mean yea it's cool, but you can't see anything unless your range is lit up.

Aiming at self at the mirror ? or moving practice target in the dark ?  :-DD ..... j/k AlxDroidDev  ;D
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 06:34:27 pm by BravoV »

Offline raptor1956

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2016, 06:48:32 pm »
I had a cool watch in the late 70's with tritium -- lost it after maybe 6 months...

Brian

Offline Dataforensics

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2016, 08:47:47 am »
Like these a lot, on my second watch with them fitted. The first lasted 15 years before it went too dim for me. Also have them dotted around home, they can give a surprising amount of light if your eyes have achieved full night vision.
Trouble is I bought all mine over 10 years ago and the price seemed reasonable then, now the price seems much higher and has become too much for me.

Offline timb

• Super Contributor
  • Pretentiously Posting Polysyllabic Prose
    • timb.us
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2016, 11:38:31 am »

Yeah, I had custom Tritium sites put on my H&K Mk.23; usability is *sooo* much better than run of the mill light-pipe style night sites. Personally, I prefer them over a rail mounted laser. (The laser added to the weight of the gun (plus suppressor) just makes it too heavy for my tastes.)
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic; e.g., Cheez Whiz, Hot Dogs and RF.

Offline nowlan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2016, 12:14:26 pm »
I have a small tritium on my keychain. I think came from deal extreme. A small chip of plastic came off case. Hope i dont get testicular cancer.
But otherwise, works really well finding my car keys in the dark. I looked at them recently and the larger ones are expensive.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf