Author Topic: Which countries only buy streetlighting thats designed & built in their country?  (Read 3865 times)

Offline ocsetTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Hello
Any ideas?

Offline ruffy91

• Regular Contributor
North korea

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, tooki, ocset

• Super Contributor
i think Germany aswell?...i think Germany is self sufficient in most things?
I get the impression that no German company will try and out-play a fellow German company by importing from abroad?...because all Germans respect that this will harm Germany....and German companies, even those in competition with each other, have respect for each  other, since they both know that they both contribute to Germany...and if Germany is strong, then they individually can be strong......there is a notion of "teamwork" within Germany which is to be admired.......this kind of thing does not exist in countries like UK (my Country of Birth) ....where all in UK are encouraged to "fill their boots" and screw their fellow Brit.
"Greed is good", and "there's no such thing as society" were two things that Thatcher told us.

Another point is the great German car companys…Mercedes, BMW, Volkeswagon and Audi….they are all sworn competitors…but behind the scenes they all share in depth technical trade secrets with each  other……knowing that if Germany is strong, it creates the backdrop against which they all individually can be stronger.
When a senior Engineer  with access to all Audi’s trade secrets leaves Audi to go and work for Mercedes…..everybody  at Audi salutes the leaver, and genuinely wishes him/her all the best.
Can you imagine this sort of thing in UK?
This teamwork I also see, but to a lesser extent, between USA  companies
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 02:27:37 pm by treez »

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
maybe you can get Trump to do something?

I heard Australia did this with some of their infrastructure (I won't say where and what product to protect the innocent) but I heard it came at a price, basically some kind of contractual clause that if the demands were not satisfied the company owner would be jailed for like 2 years  :scared: . I think they basically devised stiff fines to ensure the company could not pay and it would turn into a criminal manner if the contract was violated to ensure the plan did not fail. IIRC you could not declare bankruptcy. I don't remember the details though, and I wont. I do remember the person of interest having alot of stress and working long hours to meet the relevant Australian administrative region quotas though.

Kind of one of those deal with the devil things really, sounded kinda illegal if you do it in America but I think if you are outfitting a city, the mayor or whatever can kinda get away with some really weird stuff, I think by making really tight specifications which only your product can meet and putting requirements on it that require some kind of 'field data' that shows your product will function as intended, to prevent people from meeting the specifications. Realistically this will only offer temporary protection as eventually someone will come along with the same shit but cheaper and then the amount of aggression they get from cost oversight committees will increase as budgets continue to be squandered..

Local government can do all sorts of strange things, but have you considered doing business with the mafia? Someone might be able to enforce the purchase of your products in a particular region if you pay with a pound flesh. It sounds like protection is what you are looking for? They would function to intimidate or corrupt the oversight committees.

The less shady solution would be to look at (stable) tariff laws and business incentives? Or find some willing commies?

I think you need a new product lol, your gonna end up with a bunch of contractually obligated chav's breaking into your house while you are taking a shit and beating you with plungers.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 04:08:18 pm by coppercone2 »

The following users thanked this post: ocset

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
In Europe things like street lights are usually bought be state officials and thus usually through a lengthy official buying process. So chances are they get parts from all over the world, who ever is cheapest. 
With some more complicated/ special  parts it may happen that all the suppliers are from Germany. Usually German companies have no problem buying parts from other countries - it's just things like shipping that makes it easier to buy local. In small companies it's also the point of no being used to buy from outside due to little need.

I would guess that China might also prefer local products, just for cost reasons. Once there is a good source in China there is probably no reason to buy from somewhere else.

The following users thanked this post: Mr. Scram, ocset

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
North korea
I can't think of any country which would do that. It's possible even North Korea imports parts from China. Certainly if they use LEDs in their new installations, but I expect North Korea would still use old technologies such as sodium and mercury vapour, with old inductive ballasts.

Offline mzzj

• Super Contributor
Treez-landia  |O

The following users thanked this post: Bassman59, Stray Electron, tooki, ocset

• Super Contributor
Usually German companies have no problem buying parts from other countries
Thanks, but if that was correct,  Germany would  be like UK...and Germany is nothing like UK.....the German's have a thriving engineering industry...the UK has a rapidly dying one.
https://massey276.wixsite.com/ukdecline

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
That's because your government policy of investing in 'the city', leaving behind 100's of years of engineering experience and expertise.   This stems from the education system (doing away with apprenticeships etc) and upwards.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 07:10:21 pm by Towger »

• Super Contributor
Thanks very true..."the city"...most of the profits from "the city" of course, are never seen by  the majority of the British People..because they are squirreled away in  offshore tax havens.
"The city" , i believe, will die after Brexit...........good riddance i say...."pushing money about"....."pushing it about",  "pushing it about"     ...the MD of a Cornish Oil services engineering company used those words to me.

Offline Ice-Tea

• Super Contributor
    • Freelance Hardware Engineer
Usually German companies have no problem buying parts from other countries
Thanks, but if that was correct,  Germany would  be like UK...and Germany is nothing like UK.....the German's have a thriving engineering industry...the UK has a rapidly dying one.
https://massey276.wixsite.com/ukdecline

Yeah, don't take it from a German. That would be stupid.

• Super Contributor
it's just things like shipping that makes it easier to buy local.
In UK, we dont let  shipping get in the way......we import anything, no matter how heavy...get it shipped in from the Far East and kill off our own industry.
There are streetlight companies  in UK that get huge streetlight heads shipped in from the Far East.
Also, huge induction streetlight heads are shipped from China to UK by the millions.
I can't think why shipping would be a problem.
The Chinese are now trying to solve the UK housing shortage by shipping  100's of thousands  of mobile homes to UK.......
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/a/201803/08/WS5aa01eb8a3106e7dcc1403b9.html
« Last Edit: August 26, 2018, 09:55:23 pm by treez »

Offline doobedoobedo

• Regular Contributor
... like UK (my Country of Birth)

Please quit the "I'm British" bullshit, you're very plainly not.

For a start UK is not a country. You bash the UK in all your threads.

• Super Contributor
Thanks but surely au contraire..
I am the  admin clerk (read 'skivvy') of the Revive British Industry Campaign.
https://massey276.wixsite.com/revive

Offline doobedoobedo

• Regular Contributor
Haha.  :-DD

Maybe you should work to give them a proper website and ditch the 1990's hit counter that way they might get more than 174 hits :palm:

The following users thanked this post: DenzilPenberthy, ocset

Offline Circlotron

• Super Contributor
I would suggest Japan.
Have a look inside any Japanese made electronics. Lots of domestic names.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
Thanks very true..."the city"...most of the profits from "the city" of course, are never seen by  the majority of the British People..because they are squirreled away in  offshore tax havens.
"The city" , i believe, will die after Brexit...........good riddance i say...."pushing money about"....."pushing it about",  "pushing it about"     ...the MD of a Cornish Oil services engineering company used those words to me.

The EU is going to be introducing some rather stringent laws to prevent exactly that squirreling away of money in offshore tax havens, coincidentally in 2019, about the same time as the UK has set for leaving.

A cynical person might therefore come to the conclusion that people driving Brexit while advising their clients to move their money from the UK to European investments instead will make considerable profit from the disaster economics of Brexit and then squirrel those profits away in offshore tax havens without being subject to the new anti offshore tax haven legislation.

Ever get the feeling you've been played by the rich elites who told you the other rich elites were playing you?

If you haven't then we need to talk about this bridge I have for sale...

Offline TopLoser

• Supporter
The Chinese are now trying to solve the UK housing shortage by shipping  100's of thousands  of mobile homes to UK.......

Really??? Have you actually read that article???

You’re in your own little world...

The following users thanked this post: CJay, ocset

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less

Um, no.

There's an old aphorism: "when you are in a hole, stop digging".
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf