Author Topic: U by Moen Shower App controlled shower  (Read 3719 times)

Offline Homer J SimpsonTopic starter

• Super Contributor
U by Moen Shower App controlled shower
« on: October 19, 2018, 01:45:43 am »

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
Re: U by Moen Shower App controlled shower
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 02:05:22 am »
This is a joke, right? Was it released on April 1st?

Question 1: How many immersible, waterproof smartphones are there?
Question 2: How many people will immediately think what fun it will be to turn the shower to cold while someone is under it?

The following users thanked this post: amyk

Offline Homer J SimpsonTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 02:11:10 am »

No joke......

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 02:19:35 am »
The human race has reached the pinnacle of it's existence and can only go downhill at this point.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 12:01:09 pm »

Question 2: How many people will immediately think what fun it will be to turn the shower to cold while someone is under it?
Question 3: How long will it last?

The plumbing fixtures in my house are many decades old and haven't given any problems. Repair parts are still available and cheap.

Maybe the plumbing companies are finally getting on board the idea of planned obolescence... :palm:

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 12:11:52 pm »

Worse, it could fail hot, causing serious burns.

Offline sokoloff

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 12:25:00 pm »
I have my water heater set on the hot side (hotter than the energy star recommended mark) and it would still take a significant amount of time for the water to cause “serious burns”, far longer than is likely from a failure of any point of use mixing valve.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2018, 12:30:09 pm »
I'm having a serious case of Poe's Law.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 12:47:42 pm »
I have my water heater set on the hot side (hotter than the energy star recommended mark) and it would still take a significant amount of time for the water to cause “serious burns”, far longer than is likely from a failure of any point of use mixing valve.
Good for you, but my hands have been scalded before by the hot taps in some buildings, so a hate to think what would have happened if it had been a shower. I agree, don't have the water temperature set too high and it shouldn't happen, but the real world is different.

Offline TheBay

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 01:29:35 pm »
I've had an app controlled shower for 3 years, my Miele Washing Machine is also app controlled, it can even order it's own detergent when it runs out.

Offline Cyberdragon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2018, 01:41:30 pm »
I've had an app controlled shower for 3 years, my Miele Washing Machine is also app controlled, it can even order it's own detergent when it runs out.

:palm:

*BZZZZZZAAAAAP*
Voltamort strikes again!
Explodingus - someone who frequently causes accidental explosions

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2018, 06:17:33 pm »

Eventually, you're gonna piss your washing machine off once too many times.  You might not even know it, until it's too late.

Offline jmelson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2018, 09:26:10 pm »
Oh great!  One little software glitch, and you come home and find 3000 Amazon boxes on your lawn!

Thanks, but NO THANKS!

Jon

Offline m98

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2018, 11:16:53 pm »
Oh great!  One little software glitch, and you come home and find 3000 Amazon boxes on your lawn!

Thanks, but NO THANKS!
Because that has ever happened to anyone? I'm using HP's instant ink service for a few years now, and it worked absolutely flawless the whole time, with me never running out of ink or having more than one cartridge in stock. So I'd guess that a similar system for a washing machine could work.

Regarding the shower, that's actually a pretty neat concept that has also been implemented in the past by a few companies. Sure it's really a luxury feature, but being able to climb in a preheated shower without needing to endure half a minute of the cold water, and then having a thermostat, instead of tweaking the mixer with the tongue at the right angle not to get boiled or frozen wouldn't be too bad.

Offline sokoloff

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2018, 11:22:52 pm »
Regarding the shower, that's actually a pretty neat concept that has also been implemented in the past by a few companies. Sure it's really a luxury feature, but being able to climb in a preheated shower without needing to endure half a minute of the cold water, and then having a thermostat, instead of tweaking the mixer with the tongue at the right angle not to get boiled or frozen wouldn't be too bad.
For the first half of this (getting into a warm shower), get one of these: http://thinkevolve.com/products/showerstart-tsv/
Turn the shower on while you're getting ready. Water runs until it gets warm at the showerhead then shuts off to a tiny trickle. When you're ready to shower, step in, pull the handle and you have a fully warm shower stream from the first second.

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2018, 07:29:23 am »
I once stayed in a house that had a great idea for a shower. Whenever you started a shower the water started running but it was diverted into the 'gray water' tank until it hit the right temperature, once the set point was reached the flow was switched to the shower head. Water which would have been wasted during warm up was used to flush the toilets and water the plants in the greenhouse.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Offline TheBay

• Supporter
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2018, 10:56:38 am »
For the first half of this (getting into a warm shower), get one of these: http://thinkevolve.com/products/showerstart-tsv/
Turn the shower on while you're getting ready. Water runs until it gets warm at the showerhead then shuts off to a tiny trickle. When you're ready to shower, step in, pull the handle and you have a fully warm shower stream from the first second.

Can't see how that would work with an Electric Shower, which is very common in the UK/Europe.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2018, 12:48:57 pm »
I don't see too much reason for a remote control shower, but a remote control water heater can be very useful for energy saving.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2018, 01:28:26 pm »
Putting a tank to hold the detergent on a washing machine relaxes the fuck out of me. And if it also dried clothing I could save a few square feet in the basement.

Its baller technology that makes my home bigger.. you could throw the detergent bottle strait into the trash.

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2018, 01:31:55 pm »
The temperature controller shower is a baller idea too because you can steam up the bathroom too. Nice and relaxing.

On the other hand it should have some override button to prevent it from staying on more then like ten minutes Incase it decides to turn on when you go on vacation

Just put a d term shutdown on it to turn it off if the temperature shoots away from its margin by too much indicating some kind of problem.
L
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 01:35:27 pm by coppercone2 »

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2018, 04:19:42 pm »
Can't see how that would work with an Electric Shower, which is very common in the UK/Europe.

Why would you need it with an electric shower? Electric showers provide instant hot water.

Offline TheBay

• Supporter
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2018, 05:11:03 pm »

Why would you need it with an electric shower? Electric showers provide instant hot water.

They still take time to warm up and adjust, mine takes a good 30 seconds.
So the app is quite handy to get it up to temp :)

Just pointing out that this item wouldn't work on one, not sure if it would work on thermostatic shower fed by a combi boiler either as once the demand has stopped when this
goes to trickle mode the boiler shuts off and has to warm back up again.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2018, 05:28:59 pm »
They still take time to warm up and adjust, mine takes a good 30 seconds.

A simple Triton shower like the one I use when I'm in England is instant. You turn it on and it's hot nearly right away. You just have to wait for the cold water to flush out of the shower hose.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2018, 05:41:34 pm »
Sure it's really a luxury feature, but being able to climb in a preheated shower without needing to endure half a minute of the cold water, and then having a thermostat, instead of tweaking the mixer with the tongue at the right angle not to get boiled or frozen wouldn't be too bad.
If you have a thermostatic valve (which most people around here have) you can turn the shower on, take off your underwear and step under the shower. I still need to install a new sink + thermostat in my bathroom. Another very neat feature to have in a bathroom is floor heating. I installed that last summer while redoing all the tiles and it is fantastic. No need for apps though. Just more sh*t which can fail.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2018, 06:45:07 pm »
This is clearly a solution looking for a problem. It would have been great fun when I was about 7 years old though, to screw with the temperature from another room while my dad was taking a shower. I really cannot picture a genuine use case for such a technology, I certainly don't bring my phone into the shower with me, and I don't need to run the shower if I'm not physically in the bathroom to use it. If I wanted instant hot water I could install a point of use instant water heater or a recirculation system that pumps the water in a loop from the water heater to the shower valve. My friend has that in his house, it can be set on a timer or you push a button when you walk into the bathroom, then by the time you're undressed you just turn on the shower and the water is hot.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf