Author Topic: Why would aliens even bother to visit earth?  (Read 9703 times)

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
Re: Why would aliens even bother to visit earth?
« Reply #75 on: February 11, 2019, 11:12:32 pm »
Just think what an awesome freebie it would be for aliens to use Earth as a landfill to dump all their waste   8)

while they practice  'progress' and back patting on their clean pristine turf, with no one the wiser     :popcorn:

Time to take down those big transmitter dishes inviting TROUBLE     :scared:

or mod them for better local wireless internet transmission bouncies  :clap:

Hands up any EEVblog volunteers willing to blow a few weekends for the task   

...and sink a few beers afterwards   :-+ :-+

(assuming the dish owners come to their senses and stop 'dreaming' of First and LAST Contact :palm: )

« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 11:16:57 pm by Electro Detective »

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #76 on: February 12, 2019, 02:46:18 am »
Its space. If your firing literal garbage out of your solar system then there is very little point in aiming it at another planet in another solar system.

I doubt we could even pull off such a trajectory without some level of corrections.

Unless there is some civilisation out there that is testing gravitational effects outside its solar system by seeing how they veer off target.

Offline apis

• Super Contributor
  • Hobbyist
« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2019, 03:00:53 am »
I think this 'visit' from Chile in November 2010 is a good one.
www.huffingtonpost.com/leslie-kean/the-extraordinary-ufo-sig_b_1342585.html

So what was it, 3000+mph and captured on 7 or 8 cameras.
It was most likely insects flying by close to the camera lens:
https://badufos.blogspot.com/2012/03/flying-saucer-or-fly-is-this-case-ufo.html

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #78 on: February 12, 2019, 01:49:58 pm »
here is a explanation to the OP in form of 20 minute informational film

it would be cheap for some low level player in space politics or w/e to transform earth into a small low effort money making machine using a minimum of weapons etc.

they might have geopolitics etc. it could be another china/africa but planetary. For making doodads without needing to hire programmers or machine operators etc. Extortion.

it might also be alot cheaper then building a space station, terraforming a planet, to make some kind of outpost/truck stop. There might not be a unified space faring civilization. You could end up with pirates, rogue nations, warlords, space communists, giant mafia/shady corporations that can use earth as some kind of cash flow system.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 02:00:57 pm by coppercone2 »

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79 on: February 12, 2019, 10:12:54 pm »

...You could end up with pirates, rogue nations, warlords, space communists, giant mafia/shady corporations

that can use earth as some kind of cash flow system.

LOL, so more of the same ?   ;D

The competition might be a good thing  :-// 

the new players might offer a bigger bone to the little people than the current clowns running the show the last few centuries  :palm:

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80 on: February 12, 2019, 10:22:47 pm »
It was most likely insects flying by close to the camera lens:
https://badufos.blogspot.com/2012/03/flying-saucer-or-fly-is-this-case-ufo.html
Possible, it looked more like a blurred bird than a flying saucer on the only one other camera shot I saw on a TV prog.
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #81 on: February 12, 2019, 11:29:54 pm »

...You could end up with pirates, rogue nations, warlords, space communists, giant mafia/shady corporations

that can use earth as some kind of cash flow system.

LOL, so more of the same ?   ;D

The competition might be a good thing  :-// 

the new players might offer a bigger bone to the little people than the current clowns running the show the last few centuries  :palm:

or it might be a incredibly half assed shake down so someone can buy a luxury 'yacht' from some shipyard, funded by space eBay.

Offline GlennSprigg

• Super Contributor
  • Medically retired Tech. Old School / re-learning !
« Reply #82 on: February 13, 2019, 08:23:54 am »
I'm surprised that no-one here has brought up the "Prime Directive"  8)  (Star Trek)
Diagonal of 1x1 square = Root-2. Ok.
Diagonal of 1x1x1 cube = Root-3 !!!  Beautiful !!

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2019, 01:03:26 pm »
Most interesting. It really does appear to be a solid cognitive barrier, wired in the firmware.
Still I wish I could run a poll, to see who (if anyone) does grasp the concept that no technological species can continue past the point where its individuals acquire the tech capability to modify what they are, via whatever passes for genetic engineering in their species' biology. A point that is absolutely inevitable for every tech-species, given the fundamental nature of technology, biology, species, evolution and individual. (Provided they don't wipe themselves out before reaching that point.)

Oh well, I'll go with the flow of frivolity.
http://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/robot-love-2
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84 on: February 14, 2019, 06:09:44 pm »
Btw, speaking of inscrutable aliens, I recommend the short SF story Roadside Picnic, by the Strugatsky brothers.
  http://soviethistory.msu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/picnic.pdf
The 1979 Tarkovsky movie Stalker  was based on this story, and is very very good.
The movie Stalker isn't really based on Roadside Picnic. Its set in the world created by Roadside Picnic, but heads in a completely different direction. Both are excellent in the own ways. Stalker and Solaris suggest Andre Tarkovsky was fascinated by the idea of inscrutable aliens.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2019, 06:15:30 am »
The movie Stalker isn't really based on Roadside Picnic. Its set in the world created by Roadside Picnic, but heads in a completely different direction. Both are excellent in the own ways.

Sure, isn't that more or less what 'based on' means? Maybe I should have added "loosely".

Stalker and Solaris suggest Andre Tarkovsky was fascinated by the idea of inscrutable aliens.

Indeed. The Stalislaw Lem book Solaris is one of my all time favorite novels. Tarkovsky's 1972 movie of the same name (which is a pretty close retelling, as opposed to 'based on') is also a favorite movie. Quoting Wiki: "The film is often cited as one of the greatest science fiction films in the history of cinema."

I never bothered to watch the remake by some US/Hollywood company. By most accounts it's utter crap.

Incidentally, a quick rant about historical revisionism of movies. I watched the original Solaris in cinemas 3 or 4 times. Eventually I found it on DVD and bought it. Bloody hell.... In the DVD version there is about 5 to ten seconds missing from one scene. An omission that utterly subverts the entire movie, completely sapping the core strength and meaning. Totally ruined, and anyone seeing the version with that cut will fail to get what the movie is fundamentally about.
It should be criminal to do such vandalism to a great work of art. I find it hard to believe that could have been done for any other reason than to deliberately ruin the movie's power and depth. An example of the (((Destroyers))) work, those who deliberately tear down anything greater than themselves.

It's in the scene where Kris has bundled Hari onto a rocket in the station's silo. The missing seconds are from where he closes the rocket hatch, to when the rocket is launching. The cut is crudely done; one moment he's standing at the door, next moment rolling behind a control panel to shield from the rocket flames. There's no hint that something significant happened in the meantime.

I won't spoiler the movie by saying what happened. But it's deeply shaking. It's the crucial underlining to the basis of the movie - that Hari is not only a human soul, but ALSO a product of the planet Solaris. The whole tragedy and mystery of the film pivots on that moment. With it gone, the film's theme is derelict.

I'd happily murder the bastard that did that cut. Slowly.

Wish I could find an unmutilated version.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 06:31:58 am by TerraHertz »
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2019, 10:55:17 am »
The movie Stalker isn't really based on Roadside Picnic. Its set in the world created by Roadside Picnic, but heads in a completely different direction. Both are excellent in the own ways.
When I hear based on I think of things like the movies of Philip K Dick's stories, where they don't follow the book very well, but the overall story is essentially the same.
Sure, isn't that more or less what 'based on' means? Maybe I should have added "loosely".

Stalker and Solaris suggest Andre Tarkovsky was fascinated by the idea of inscrutable aliens.

Indeed. The Stalislaw Lem book Solaris is one of my all time favorite novels. Tarkovsky's 1972 movie of the same name (which is a pretty close retelling, as opposed to 'based on') is also a favorite movie. Quoting Wiki: "The film is often cited as one of the greatest science fiction films in the history of cinema."

I never bothered to watch the remake by some US/Hollywood company. By most accounts it's utter crap.
There are versions of Interview with the Vampire with lots of thoughtful dialogue about the nature of empathy, and whether the vampires should treat the beautiful humans they prey on any differently than the humans treat their steak. There are versions where all that has been stripped out and the movie is just a blood fest. The two versions of Solaris are a bit like that.

Incidentally, a quick rant about historical revisionism of movies. I watched the original Solaris in cinemas 3 or 4 times. Eventually I found it on DVD and bought it. Bloody hell.... In the DVD version there is about 5 to ten seconds missing from one scene. An omission that utterly subverts the entire movie, completely sapping the core strength and meaning. Totally ruined, and anyone seeing the version with that cut will fail to get what the movie is fundamentally about.
It should be criminal to do such vandalism to a great work of art. I find it hard to believe that could have been done for any other reason than to deliberately ruin the movie's power and depth. An example of the (((Destroyers))) work, those who deliberately tear down anything greater than themselves.

It's in the scene where Kris has bundled Hari onto a rocket in the station's silo. The missing seconds are from where he closes the rocket hatch, to when the rocket is launching. The cut is crudely done; one moment he's standing at the door, next moment rolling behind a control panel to shield from the rocket flames. There's no hint that something significant happened in the meantime.

I won't spoiler the movie by saying what happened. But it's deeply shaking. It's the crucial underlining to the basis of the movie - that Hari is not only a human soul, but ALSO a product of the planet Solaris. The whole tragedy and mystery of the film pivots on that moment. With it gone, the film's theme is derelict.

I'd happily murder the bastard that did that cut. Slowly.

Wish I could find an unmutilated version.
I felt malice towards whoever stole the last page of Roadside Picnic for a while, until I gradually came to see that it probably stopped at the right moment.  :)

If someone was going to edit Solaris they could have shortened the ride in the Tokyo taxi. I still have no idea why Tarkovsky felt that had to go on so long.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 11:00:05 am by coppice »

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87 on: February 16, 2019, 11:18:18 am »
Then, I must have been seen the "good" version of "Interview with the Vampire", because I remember that movie as having very interesting ideas, and thought provoking dialogues.  :)

About "Solaris", most probably I've seen the "bad" version, or maybe it was just me.  Never really got into it.  The movie looked like it wanted to be interesting, but ended up being just weird and sometimes uninteresting and boring.  Never read the book, thought.  I wanted to read it, but it just happened that in the meantime I read Dune by Frank Herbert, and the Dune series was so good that since then I couldn't find any other science-fiction books on par with Dune, so after a while I simply abandoned the genre, and never read Solaris.  :-\

Now, I'll be curious to give another try to the "good" version of the Solaris movie, if I could only know for sure that it's the full/uncut version.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 11:22:54 am by RoGeorge »

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88 on: February 16, 2019, 11:28:28 am »
Then, I must have been seen the "good" version of "Interview with the Vampire", because I remember that movie as having very interesting ideas, and thought provoking dialogues.  :)

About "Solaris", most probably I've seen the "bad" version, or maybe it was just me.  Never really got into it.  The movie looked like it wanted to be interesting, but ended up being just weird and sometimes uninteresting and boring.  Never read the book, thought.  I wanted to read it, but it just happened that in the meantime I read Dune by Frank Herbert, and the Dune series was so good that since then I couldn't find any other science-fiction books on par with Dune, so after a while I simply abandoned the genre, and never read Solaris.  :-\

Now, I'll be curious to give another try to the "good" version of the Solaris movie, if I could only know for sure that it's the full/uncut version.
The two versions of Solaris are easy to distinguish. If it was a Hollywood movie starring George Clooney, that's the bad one. If it was a Russian movie with a dub or subtitles, that's the good one.

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #89 on: February 16, 2019, 12:10:55 pm »
I wouldn't imagine they'd hang about long after the "take me to your leader" demand….

One look @ Trump & Co would have their spaceship wheel spinning for anywhere else but Earth! If Theresa May happened to be there on business or whatever there would be alien mental health issues popping off all over the shop.....
Putin would just send them over the proverbial "edge"  :scared:

I doubt even aliens could hack any of them for long..... they wouldn't come back anytime soon, that's for sure!
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline Mattylad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #90 on: February 16, 2019, 01:14:41 pm »
The only reason aliens come to earth is because earth is the name of a health spa for them.
They come here for the colonic irrigation that is often talked about. :)
Matty
CID+

Offline sainbablo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #91 on: February 16, 2019, 07:07:09 pm »
The only reason aliens come to earth is because earth is the name of a health spa for them.
They come here for the colonic irrigation that is often talked about. :)

This colonic irrigation may turn out to be rich source of rare metals

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf