Poll

So, what you (UK) guys think? Exit or not to exit?

YES, please get me out of there (I'm UK) [go]
41 (19.5%)
Hell no, we are one big (happy) family! (I'm UK) [stay]
42 (20%)
OMG, let them Go! [go]
63 (30%)
I love the UK, they are family! [stay]
64 (30.5%)

Total Members Voted: 207

Voting closed: July 10, 2016, 10:29:34 am

Author Topic: UK forum members, BREXIT?  (Read 514872 times)

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
Re: UK forum members, BREXIT?
« Reply #850 on: June 24, 2016, 09:59:06 pm »
The Irish passport office had a record number of inquiries today, all you need is a Irish granny to insure hassle free employment and property ownership rights in Europe.

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
  • Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #851 on: June 24, 2016, 10:03:16 pm »
Damn my portfolio is taking a big hit right now - thanks a lot Brexit.  :(

I doubt it.

The attached images show the real result of what happened.

First is the DJIA over the past year.  The yellow lines show the move today after the Brexit news.  That pales in comparison to the natural ups and downs the market has experienced just over the past 12 months.

Second is the GBP/EUR over the past week.  It's down, but not all that much.  The news is bleating about GBP/USD which isn't all that fair, considering Brexit is naturally going to cause a flight of capital into dollars (and into gold).  Measuring the delta between the dollar and pound doesn't isolate the actual result of Brexit because it comingles the data with the flight of capital to dollars.  Comparing the pound to the euro better illustrates the market's reaction to a sovereign UK vs a EU-attached UK.

Last is the GBP/EUR over the past 5 years.  Brexit hasn't caused all that much of a stir at all - substantially less than the natural ebb and flow of the GBP/EUR exchange.
It's not always the most popular person who gets the job done.

Offline MT

• Super Contributor
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 10:07:05 pm by MT »

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #853 on: June 24, 2016, 10:24:13 pm »
The Irish passport office had a record number of inquiries today, all you need is a Irish granny to insure hassle free employment and property ownership rights in Europe.
I imagine these convenient grannies will be supplied by a certain community established in Waterford...

Offline lemmegraphdat

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #854 on: June 24, 2016, 10:35:38 pm »
May Britain be Great once again. This damp island stood and said no to Hitler and his Nazi gangsters when the rest of Europe was falling like dominos. Now they may bring the turning of the tide against the soldiers of Islam.
Start right now.

Offline jancumps

• Supporter
  • New Low
« Reply #855 on: June 24, 2016, 10:41:27 pm »
May Britain be Great once again. This damp island stood and said no to Hitler and his Nazi gangsters when the rest of Europe was falling like dominos. Now they may bring the turning of the tide against the soldiers of Islam.
May I consider this the new low of all entries in this thread?

Offline xygor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #856 on: June 24, 2016, 10:49:34 pm »
Wait. What!? I thought they voted to stay:
"Markets rally on Brexit “no” vote
The British vote to stay in the European Union removed a cloud of uncertainty for investors."
http://archive.is/2tSuH

Offline Delta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #857 on: June 24, 2016, 10:54:47 pm »
I bet that in ten years time Germany and Turkey are the only ones remaining in the EU.

That is the best post in this whole thread!  :D

Offline chris_leyson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #858 on: June 24, 2016, 10:55:38 pm »
Unfortunately the BBC keeps feeding the people in the UK rubbish on how great the UK is for heavy industry by programmes like the 'How to build' series ( http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b017lyld ). If you look at the episodes you'll notice how few people there are on the work floor and how much of the work is automated. From a technical point of few the series is very interesting but IMHO there is too much 'give yourself a pad on the shoulder because you are Brittish' going on.

Yep you're right man, we don't build or manufacture much anymore, maybe it's all service industries now, my dad said the same thing a generation ago. Nothing has changed in 50 years, the car industry gone, the rail industry gone, steel industry gone, ship building gone almost, electronics started but gone and were are kidding ourselves we're the 5th largest economy on the planet ? Not for long.

India and China have a bigger space program than we do, at least India put a satellite in orbit around Mars and China land "Jade Rabbit" on the moon. Maybe we should base our entire economy on injection molded plastic vacuum cleaners with a ball or maybe bulldozers, I was taking the piss. If you have a population with no work ethic let alone education ethic you're not going to very far.

Offline Buriedcode

• Super Contributor
« Reply #859 on: June 24, 2016, 11:03:27 pm »
May I consider this the new low of all entries in this thread?

Wow.. yes I thought it was getting silly when people started spouting stuff about Islam (I'll admit, I introduced religion in the thread as a throw-away comment about paranoia..) but this has to be a troll.  RIP brexit thread :

Online zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #860 on: June 24, 2016, 11:33:40 pm »

s/damp/glorious/

Online zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #861 on: June 25, 2016, 12:28:59 am »
Just to cheer you up on a sad day  ;D

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/british-lose-right-to-claim-that-americans-are-dumber

Ha Ha.
I liked this line “But I hold out hope that, come November, Americans could become dumber than us once more.”
Gives new meaning to the Trump card.

Yet another the-people-that-disagree-with-me-are-dumb. Yawn.

Offline Delta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #862 on: June 25, 2016, 12:34:59 am »

Yep you're right man, we don't build or manufacture much anymore, maybe it's all service industries now, my dad said the same thing a generation ago. Nothing has changed in 50 years, the car industry gone, the rail industry gone, steel industry gone, ship building gone almost, electronics started but gone...

And whose fault is that?

Ours.   (the Royal ours - us as a western population)

We want everything to be as cheap as possible.  We are happy to live in a disposable-cheap-shit-from-China society.
I sit here wearing my £10 jeans (these are my posh ones as I've been out for a meal, day-to-day I wear £5 ones, for work I wear £3 ones) with my £20 smartphone in the pocket.

No-one in the West is going to be able to compete with the far east for mass-production, as has been said, those days are gone.

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #863 on: June 25, 2016, 12:44:48 am »
India and China have a bigger space program than we do

When you look to assess a country or a company's future, look to how much they invest in their future, in terms of R&D or human capital.

Take a look at most western country's R&D $ as a percentage of GDP, both historically and horizontally, and see how much correlation there is with that country's prosperity down the line. Do the same for the corporations.

People laugh at China and India for how poor they are - they are very poor; People laugh at China and India for how low-tech and low quality their products are - they are indeed very poor.

Those people are losers because they don't see how much those countries are re-investing in their future, a remarkably courageous thing to do given how poor those two countries are. Those are the same people that laughed at poor Sony radios, or Datsun cars, or Lexus vehicles, etc. Look whose laughing now?

earlier this week, China just surprised the US with the most super-computers, on its own processors.

When you are trying to look into the future, only fools will focus on the past.
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

The following users thanked this post: 3db

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #864 on: June 25, 2016, 01:28:02 am »
No-one in the West is going to be able to compete with the far east for mass-production, as has been said, those days are gone.

Robots will.

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #865 on: June 25, 2016, 01:42:27 am »
People laugh at China and India for how poor they are - they are very poor; People laugh at China and India for how low-tech and low quality their products are - they are indeed very poor.

I don't laugh at China, they are climbing up in level of sophistication and innovation even faster than the Japanese did. Shame that communism destroyed their ethical framework, the mix of mercenary mindset and semi communist nationalism is running out of steam ... becoming dangerous actually, with military expansionism rampant. They need a rebirth of Confucianism, they might very well get it too.

I don't laugh at India either, because it's just such a sad situation. Massive overpopulation, massive trade deficits and a neighbor who has both of those things far worse ... and they both hate each other and have nukes. The ultimate powderkeg of the modern world.

Online MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #866 on: June 25, 2016, 03:36:12 am »
Now that the dust is beginning to settle.

I think this EXIT/brexit was sort of forced (regardless if you supported leave or remain), because of the way that the EU, has a SOLID/inflexible structure/functionality to it. So that attempts to modify/moderate its functionality, to make people (especially in the UK, but probably in other member states), continue to be happy with it. Was in real terms, NOT possible.

Presumably if it had been modifiable, and allowed some changes. The Leave and Remain camps, could have been made happy with the new EU, and continued with it.

The relative lack of voting (within the EU system, by the EU population) and its (apparent) extreme reluctance to change or compromise, has probably been a major factor in its demise (at least as regards the UK).

The Leave camp, had two choices. Leave or put up with a lack of response to their requirements.

Things have changed over the years, and we (UK/EU/World) are facing fresh challenges, which were probably NOT known about, in the 1970's, when the EEC came about.

If the EU was doing a good job, >85% of the UK, should have voted to remain. So it being about 52% leave, 48% remain, was a poor showing by the EU, anyway.

I wonder how many of the 48% (approx) remain camp, also wanted improvements to the EU, as well. But were too worried about what would happen if we left it.

As an individual, I'm NOT 100% sure, if leave or remain, was the best/right thing. Who knows what might happen in the future, which could have a big bearing on the best solution.

As with most people, I'm not that sure of the full range of things that the EU does. In some respects, I think it was an overly complicated decision, for people to have to make. Yes, we should all be getting votes. But on the other hand, most of us may not know enough about it, to make the correct/informed decision.

If other countries of the EU, also end up having referendums, then things could get interesting, as time goes on.

The following users thanked this post: 3db

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #867 on: June 25, 2016, 03:54:13 am »
Almost all the reaction to the result of BREXIT that I have seen is based on the premise that it is an immutable fact that the UK will be leaving the EU.

Is it not something that may not happen - or be indeterminately delayed?

Might the EU hierarchy take this result - and the grumblings from other quarters - as a sign that they need change if they want to keep justifying their existence and keep their jobs?

Might there be changes that address enough issues for the UK to reconsider?

Or am I being too optimistic?

Online MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #868 on: June 25, 2016, 04:03:36 am »
Almost all the reaction to the result of BREXIT that I have seen is based on the premise that it is an immutable fact that the UK will be leaving the EU.

Is it not something that may not happen - or be indeterminately delayed?

Might the EU hierarchy take this result - and the grumblings from other quarters - as a sign that they need change if they want to keep justifying their existence and keep their jobs?

Might there be changes that address enough issues for the UK to reconsider?

Or am I being too optimistic?

No, it does definitely seem that OUT is OUT.

Given the UK Prime Minister has announced his resignation, where he will be leaving later this year.

It does seem very FINAL.

On the other hand, if a number of other EU countries have referendums, and also want out. Maybe some kind of compromise or something, can be attempted to be sorted out ?

Anyway, the exit time, is apparently two years, from officially telling the EU, you want to leave. But it can take longer, by mutual agreement.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #869 on: June 25, 2016, 04:23:07 am »
Now that the dust is beginning to settle.

I think this EXIT/brexit was sort of forced (regardless if you supported leave or remain), because of the way that the EU, has a SOLID/inflexible structure/functionality to it. So that attempts to modify/moderate its functionality, to make people (especially in the UK, but probably in other member states), continue to be happy with it. Was in real terms, NOT possible.

Presumably if it had been modifiable, and allowed some changes. The Leave and Remain camps, could have been made happy with the new EU, and continued with it.

The relative lack of voting (within the EU system, by the EU population) and its (apparent) extreme reluctance to change or compromise, has probably been a major factor in its demise (at least as regards the UK).

The Leave camp, had two choices. Leave or put up with a lack of response to their requirements.

Things have changed over the years, and we (UK/EU/World) are facing fresh challenges, which were probably NOT known about, in the 1970's, when the EEC came about.

If the EU was doing a good job, >85% of the UK, should have voted to remain. So it being about 52% leave, 48% remain, was a poor showing by the EU, anyway.

I wonder how many of the 48% (approx) remain camp, also wanted improvements to the EU, as well. But were too worried about what would happen if we left it.

That's a fair analysis ^^^^^much the same as media is reporting here in NZ.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #870 on: June 25, 2016, 05:15:18 am »
May you live in interesting times.

It will be left to history to determine if it's the right or wrong decision, but I suspect that the UK will see less change than the EU will. I suspect that most of the leave voters are fed up with the whole political system and the few layers of it that we have to contend with the better.

If only we could have a referendum preventing anyone from becoming a politician who hadn't spent a year doing a dead end job and two years running their own business the world might be a better place. It's far too stuffed with career politicians far too detached from the reality of real life.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #871 on: June 25, 2016, 05:22:23 am »
If only we could have a referendum preventing anyone from becoming a politician who hadn't spent a year doing a dead end job and two years running their own business the world might be a better place. It's far too stuffed with career politicians far too detached from the reality of real life.
Don't we all wish so. ^^^
Trouble is any inkling of that happening they'll pass a law that all poly's need be involved in things political (local body stuff) for 5 years or more before being "qualified" for parliament. Who has time for local body stuff and running a business.  :scared:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline vodka

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #872 on: June 25, 2016, 05:28:35 am »
May you live in interesting times

So  interesting ,when  the UK will go into  at a dissolution proccess the same form that Yugoslavia : The North Ireland wants join to Ireland , Scottland wast the independace from England and London too.

With the great goal of England for becoming at the new Portugal(According they say: That Portugal isn't nothing without their colonies  )

Offline jitter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #873 on: June 25, 2016, 05:39:27 am »
The United Kingdom is not so united. We'll see time will tell.

I think when push comes to shove, the same thing could be said for the whole of the EU or other unions of people with differing backgrounds and cultures (like the Soviet Union).
I would not be surprised if the UK's example will be followed by other nations in the long run.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #874 on: June 25, 2016, 07:22:42 am »
When is the locust from Egypt coming?   (I want to stock up on food)
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf