Author Topic: UNI-T UT61C vs EXTECH EX330  (Read 6567 times)

Offline KozmykTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
UNI-T UT61C vs EXTECH EX330
« on: August 02, 2011, 11:38:28 pm »
I have a UNI-T UT61C and the EXTECH EX330.

I needed a couple of new meters and decided that they should have uA reading capability.
The EXTECH won Dave's $50 shoot-out, that and the built in NCV - Non Contact Voltage detector swung the choice on that one.

The EXTECH 330 came with the battery/fuse cover screw missing and an o/c thermocouple.
I sent it back at my expense and two weeks later the replacement arrived, after a bit of email chasing.
The replacement EX330 had an intermittent fault on the NCV. :(
Suspecting dirt particle/s under the switch I kept at it and eventually it seems to have settled into an operational state, fingers crossed.
Except it's reporting a voltage on walls with no power running through them. Not all walls, just some.
I don't know whether it's down to the moisture content of the walls or what.
It even kicks off on a door handle mounted in a wooden door.
I decided it wasn't worth the hassle and cost of sending it back again so I'll live with it as it is.
The rest of the meter's functions appear to be OK but I can see that I'll have to do some comparative tests before I can trust it further.
It's a nice little meter but QC doesn't seem to be EXTECH's strong suit.

The UNI-T UT61C has given me no trouble at all.
I haven't tried the RS232 link yet.
I do wish now I had got the RMS D version, I hadn't noticed that difference when weighing up the features of the A,B,C,D & E models.
I DID want a thermocouple function though.

I'd recommend the UNI-T over the EXTECH.

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
Re: UNI-T UT61C vs EXTECH EX330
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 11:59:38 pm »
I do wish now I had got the RMS D version, I hadn't noticed that difference when weighing up the features of the A,B,C,D & E models.

About UNI-T and those  B,C,D & E models, they do hide some worthy differences, and you have to spot them by your self.

About Extech you are the second who reports issues on EEV.
Personally I do not trust Extech, for my own reasons.   

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 07:52:47 am »

But they are so proud they are ISO9001:2008 quality certified ... Muahahahahaha. In another thread some guy from Extech was tooting the horn how they are ISO certified, how much the do for quality, and why things at Extech are the way they are. And in the same thread he admitted he doesn't mind lying in a press release.

The thread started with someone who had figured out that Extech was doing badge-engineering with their multimeters, too. Some Extech meters are rebadged Brymens http://brymen.com/product-html/index.html (use appropriate eye protection when visiting that site). I didn't check, but maybe the Extech 330 comes from the same source.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline Kiriakos-GR

• Super Contributor
  • !
  • User is banned.
    • Honda AX-1 rebuild
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 09:26:43 am »
In another thread some guy from Extech was tooting the horn

By checking his profile on Twitter, this is why he is payed for, to just tooting the horn.  ;D

Online vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 11:23:49 am »

But they are so proud they are ISO9001:2008 quality certified ... Muahahahahaha. In another thread some guy from Extech was tooting the horn how they are ISO certified, how much the do for quality, and why things at Extech are the way they are. And in the same thread he admitted he doesn't mind lying in a press release.

The thread started with someone who had figured out that Extech was doing badge-engineering with their multimeters, too. Some Extech meters are rebadged Brymens http://brymen.com/product-html/index.html (use appropriate eye protection when visiting that site). I didn't check, but maybe the Extech 330 comes from the same source.

IS9001 is a Quality Assurance system,not a Quality Control system.
It determines that you do things the same way each time.
The trouble with this is that,if you do something stupid the first time,you will continue to do it the same way,& it is difficult to make improvements.
At least,that's how I see it,but I'm a grumpy old fart!  >:(

VK6ZGO

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 12:18:50 pm »
The trouble with this is that,if you do something stupid the first time,you will continue to do it the same way

That's what I basically told the Extech guy in that other thread. He acted surprised.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf