Author Topic: Unicode  (Read 13199 times)

Offline AmperaTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
Unicode
« on: April 20, 2018, 06:02:45 am »
Уитх тхис ниу сервер клустер тхат гниф мовед тхе форумс овер то, тхе форум ноу сеемс то хаве Уникоде суппорт. То тест, И ам тйпинг тхис мессаге фонетикаллй ин сйрилликс, халф бекаузе и консидер ит то бе коол, анд халф бекаузе и уас тоо лазй ин Руссиан класс то леарн анйтхинг елсе. И имагине то нативе Руссиан (ор симилар) спеакерс, тхис лоокс реаллй уеирд.

If I get complaints, and nobody knows what I'm on about, I can put that in Latin glyphs.

🕴️🕴️🕴️🕴️🕴️🕴️
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 06:04:55 am by TwoOfFive »
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
Re: Unicode
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 06:30:33 am »
Well, this was something to read.

Тест. Русский.

Now we will see all the glory of that Asian spam we are getting from time to time.
Alex

Online DimitriP

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 08:21:23 am »
ʎıʞǝs˙ ʇɥɐʇ ʍɐs ɐuuoʎıuƃ ʇo ɹǝɐp˙
   If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 10:04:01 am »
Let us just hope that the advent of full UTF-8 support on the forum (Thanks Gnif!) doesn't cause an outbreak of even more incomprehensible garbage produced by the crowd whose proper punctuation to smiley ratio is the same as the tooth to tattoo ratio of some fiddle-playing horror movie hillbilly.

Meantime, it is with great pleasure that I can now say things like: ± 5µV/√Hz at 300°K …
Anybody got a syringe I can use to squeeze the magic smoke back into this?

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline mariush

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 10:09:31 am »
L̶̛̈͋̀͛ͥ̃ͬ̐͊͐͡҉͚̥̥͎̠̬͚͉e̖͇̗̠̬͓̫̱̖̗͔͊͋̉̔̍̑̕͡ͅt̨̡̛̪͕̻͖͎̗̞̻̜͕̐̒̊̔̎ͮͫ̊͊̋̍͑̌ͅͅ'̦̭̦̮̯̺̲ͫ̊̒̆̀̚͜͜s̨̧̛͍͈̙̜͇̬̳͈̝̞̼͈̺̋ͭ̇̏ͯ ̛̈́͆ͥ͗̄̀ͣͯ̀͘͏͈̠̱͉̲̰̮̤͕̼̻̰̰̯̤j̨̪̖̝͈̜̠̙̺͂̌̓̀ͦͩ̐̌̆̈̊̈̃́͊ͪͨ͛͟ụ̶̭̳̙͈̪̪̘͚̝̻̤̱̠̭̩͗ͫ̔̇̎͗̓̑ͧͫ̃͒́ͥ͋͛̓̃ͯ̕ͅͅs̢̨̳͙̞̱̬ͫ̽̏̈́ͪ̄̑̀̀ͣͦͯ̚͘͞ţ̺͇̯̞̦̺̰͕͉͖̲̻̫̣̖̳̋͑ͦͣ͊͊̈́ͦ̂̚͘͢ͅ ̵̸̧̨͈̻͇̣ͩ̅͆̈ͦ͐̅͒̒ͫ͑ͫ͗͒̀̚ḫ̴͍̟̤̲̬̗̤̜͐̃͂ͫ̓ͨͣͬ̓o̢̝͎̮̝ͦ͊͋̽̓̀͟͝p̸̛̹̩͇̫̰̪͚͙̰̗̭ͫͨͤͦ̀̒͌͒͘ͅę̴̤̜̤͖̟̳̱͍͚̪̓̍̆ͨ̋ͫͪ̿͒́ͫ̂ͨ̔̚͢ ̸̴̶̨̖͙̟̖̣̭̪̆̍ͭͪͅͅp̓͋͆͏̴̢̮͍͓̪͚͇̲̞̟́e͔̭̗̪͎ͧ̈́͋̇̔͒̾̂̃̑̀́o̢̱̖͔͔̟̘͎̗̗͍͙̰͎̝͇̣͔̟͊ͧ̈͊̍͠ͅp͚̤̳͎̻̥̼̰ͭͩ͂̎̉́ͮ̐̇ͨ̈́̈ͧͣ͊̎ͦ̓͠ͅl̵̶̯̙̥̩͙͓̝̗̰̲̩͉͕̲̹̬̻̮͒ͭͥͭ̋̃̀͘e̷̡̨͕̪͙͚̠̬͙͕̰̗͎̻͓͓̰̳̗̝͂̆̏͋̊͌ͧͯ̔ͫͦͨ̍̐͜͠ ͎̯̮̯̦̘͓̝͔͇͇̬͖̼͖̼ͯ̈̀̊ͣͥ̿ͣ͒̈́͒̓ͩ̾ͤ͢͡w̙̺͎̖͙̥̮̜ͧ͌̅̽ͫͦͧ́͜͡͠o̡̢̘̼͖̟̙̤̫̠͔ͩ̽̂͐ͭͨ͊ͣ̔͐̀ͮ̾ͬ͒͝n̑͌ͥ̓͆͒̂͌̈́ͤ̉ͧ͐̕͏̙̗̙̥̬̬̞̺̘͔̀͝'͖̩̤̫̭̝̜̭̓ͤ͑͋̕͜͟͞t̶̵̫̖̙͈̖͉̠͎͍̹̫̺̥̙̜̲͉̥̃ͤ͗͠ ̷̫̣̺̟͕̣͈̺̮̣ͦ͑ͩ̆̿͒̋͊̉ͬ̏̊͂̕̕̕͠s̹̱̭̪̦̭͖̪̬̖̥̰̜̤ͣ́́͂̍͗̅͋͊́̚͠͞t̷̶̨̡̞̠̬̣̲̹̮̠̝̖̗̬̫̩̫͍͖̦̤͂ͪ͐ͨ͐̀a̶̲̦͈̝̳̟̳͓̗̙͔͙̱ͧͯ͗̿̀̕͡͞ͅr̶̴̡͓̩͍̜̮͙̦̂ͫ̃̔ͦ̎͗͊ͮͬ͞t̢̡̙̮͓̰͇̣̤͚͓̗̮̝͈̏̅̈́̃͊ͧ͑̏̑̐̅̃ ̩͈͉̹̻̠̾̊̾͐ͥ͌ͩ̑̊̾̈ͫͤͯ͟͡ͅp͋́̐̂͋̔͑̆ͬͫͨ͊ͭ̃̆̚̕͏̷͎͕͚͍̯̯̲͕̣̳̹̭̯̙ͅơ̧̘͎͎̞͉ͬͨͫͥ̓͂̏́ͨ̂͘̕s͖̤̩̼͉͍̘̖͕̳͍̩̠͓̬̆͑̃ͩͪ̏̍̌̈́͐̀̀t̵̹̻͕̰̯̯̺̗͕̠̣̮̭͔̜̋͗̿̿͊̚i̵̢͔̩̘̗̤̞̩̭̖̤̥͓̟͗̎̉̂̃ͦ̍ͥ̿͐̃̿ͪͪ̅̃̆́͘ǹ̵̎̓̃̚͟͟͏̘̖̤͖̗̹̮̫̺̤̝̜̦͕͔̤̦g̖̜̯̲̬̟͈̜̑̔̓ͣ̊̎ͯͦ̇̏̄͐̄ͮ̿̏́̀͢ ̴̷͇̱̝̬̝̞͉̘͍͖̲̫̥̻̳͈̬͒̈̐ͣ̄̆͋ͪ̎ͣ̆͛̿ͣͣͩ͆́c̵̛̞͙̞̹ͧ̂ͤͮͥ̀̚̕r̷̢̻̯̯̤̓͑͋͌͋͋ͤ͂͢ā̵̮̥̮͙͈̐͑ͥͦ̈ͭ̽̀p̴̵̡͙͖̳̳̭͈̰͉͍̗̗̪͙͓̟̩͉ͬ̅̈̄ͭ͡ͅ ̴̨̱͖̝̪̠̟͕͆ͫͪ̆͘l͍̲͓̻̹̼̖̘̬̩͓̻̖̘͎̩̩ͨ̓̍ͪͣ̏̄̕͟͝͠į̵̯̙̼͓̻̻̪͓̰̳̟̱̲̖͕̣̀͛͊̓̿̌̐̋̊ͪ̓̉́̈́̂ͪ̓͐̕͢͞ķ̸̸̶̯̼͎̙͕̯̹̤͉̱̼̦͚̰͕̖̺̙̞͂͆̆̿͛͗͐̔̿ͨ́̚ę̛̰̹͚̮̠̗͚͇͊͂͂ͩͭ́͂ͫ̀͢͡ ̛̄̏͌ͯ͑ͮͪ̀ͧ̓ͤ͏̷͕̘̫͙̥̺͓͔̖̩͎̞̯̖̘̯̰̬t̴̙̞̼̞̜̭̼͖͎͎̳̓̆͛ͤ̈́͂̑ͫ̕͞ͅh̶͓̣̥̫͓̜͂͂ͮͬ̑͢ͅḭ̴̧͖͉̠̫͕̮͓̜̿̇̍͊̑ͣͭ̔̌̉̈̊ͥ́͢͞ş̦̞̳͙̦̬͔͎͓̖̹͉̺̈́͆̓͌͐ͪͩ̑ͭͭ̓͆͋ͬ̈́̑ͩͦ̓͟

(just testing)  ,,,

🚑 🚔 🚗 ✈

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 10:17:30 am »
Уитх тхис ниу сервер клустер тхат гниф мовед тхе форумс овер то, тхе форум ноу сеемс то хаве Уникоде суппорт. То тест, И ам тйпинг тхис мессаге фонетикаллй ин сйрилликс, халф бекаузе и консидер ит то бе коол, анд халф бекаузе и уас тоо лазй ин Руссиан класс то леарн анйтхинг елсе. И имагине то нативе Руссиан (ор симилар) спеакерс, тхис лоокс реаллй уеирд.
Frankly this looks hilarious  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: Ampera

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2018, 10:55:52 am »
Is there a reason we can't stick with ASCII? ASCII works everywhere, it's also compatibel with software that expects UTF-8.

Some people don't understand +/-5uV? It really needs to be written like ±5µV? Why not degr. instead of °?

It avoids all kinds of errors.

Offline gnif

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 11:02:46 am »
Is there a reason we can't stick with ASCII? ASCII works everywhere, it's also compatibel with software that expects UTF-8.

Some people don't understand +/-5uV? It really needs to be written like ±5µV? Why not degr. instead of °?

The database can be ASCII, etc... but how should it handle when people post Unicode characters?
Even things as stupid as encoded double quotes can vary between locales.

IMO it is best to cater for all possible scenarios and just use utf8 encoding (btw, we are using utf8mb4, which covers everything).

The following users thanked this post: nctnico, tooki

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2018, 11:17:22 am »

This caused so much pain in the ass all these years. Someone asks about buying some obscure part. You cannot post search terms needed to find that on taobao. Or one cannot type a name of some Russian component for others be able to search for. You can post a picture with text, but it's pretty much useless as unknowing person won't be able to type that as characters are not familiar.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2018, 12:00:39 pm »

Why can't we stick with horse-drawn transport. Horses work everywhere, etc. etc.

This is a highly international electronics forum so it hits in two places.

The international nature immediately hits things like a recent thread where people where trying to swap names for components in various languages and a Polish guy couldn't type the Polish names properly because ASCII doesn't include the Polish alphabet.

It is a right pain in the butt trying to refer to the everyday mathematics of electronics when you have to spell out things like alpha, beta, square root, sigma, ohm, tau, zeta etc. or have to drop into the weird world of \$ \LaTeX \$ (via mathjax).

The following users thanked this post: Zbig, tooki

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2018, 12:11:56 pm »
简体中文

繁體中文

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2018, 12:15:54 pm »
ເປັນຫຍັງທ່ານຈຶ່ງພະຍາຍາມແປພາສານີ້ ?

Offline gnif

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2018, 12:26:32 pm »
ເນື່ອງຈາກວ່າຂ້າພະເຈົ້າຢາກຮູ້ວ່າສິ່ງທີ່ມັນເວົ້າ!

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2018, 12:39:01 pm »
ເນື່ອງຈາກວ່າຂ້າພະເຈົ້າຢາກຮູ້ວ່າສິ່ງທີ່ມັນເວົ້າ!
ແລະທ່ານມີຄວາມສຸກໃນປັດຈຸບັນ?
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline Fire Doger

• Regular Contributor
  • Stefanos
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2018, 01:01:00 pm »
Will be there any new rules about how to use unicode or we will have "private" conversations between members from same country inside topics?

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2018, 01:17:59 pm »
Well we don't at the moment, and probably 90% of the non-english speakers on here have languages with representations in Latin scripts. The only people I've regularly seen having a conversation in a non-english language are the Dutch. A non-problem I think, once people have got over the novelty of speaking in Thai or transliterating English to unfamiliar scripts.

Offline AmperaTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Ampera's Forums
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2018, 03:21:14 pm »
Well we don't at the moment, and probably 90% of the non-english speakers on here have languages with representations in Latin scripts. The only people I've regularly seen having a conversation in a non-english language are the Dutch. A non-problem I think, once people have got over the novelty of speaking in Thai or transliterating English to unfamiliar scripts.

Aye, I don't think Unicode support is going to be a problem.

Also, ASCII? Really? Everybody knows that the real shit is with EBCDIC!
I forget who I am sometimes, but then I remember that it's probably not worth remembering.
EEVBlog IRC Admin - Join us on irc.austnet.org #eevblog

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2018, 05:41:09 pm »
... and probably 90% of the non-english speakers on here ...

Electronic engineers can at least read and write basic english. How else are they supposed to read datasheets?

So, in the end ASCII is enough on an electronics forum.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2018, 06:55:54 pm »

Electronic engineers can at least read and write basic english. How else are they supposed to read datasheets?

I think you'll find that most people here disagree with this.

Many people here have pushing longing for uni code support on this forum for a long time. The main reason I like it is for the Ω symbol, which is very important for an electronics forum. The µ character has been supported for a long time. I don't know why, since it isn't a standard ASCII glyph. I think mathematical symbols such as √ are also good. There's LaTeX maths support, but it gets blocked when I'm at work by the firewall.

If you don't like Unicode, then you don't have to use it.

The following users thanked this post: Zbig, 3db

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2018, 07:13:35 pm »
The µ character has been supported for a long time. I don't know why, since it isn't a standard ASCII glyph.

Because it was a superset of ASCII, not ASCII. Probably something like CP-1252 or ISO 8859-15.

Offline kolbep

• Frequent Contributor
    • ShoutingElectronics.com
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2018, 07:49:10 pm »
What does good ole google translate say about this? it translates to :
Uith this niu server cluster that gnif moved the forums over to, the forum nou seems to have Unikode support. To test, I am sending this message to fonetikallj in sjrilliks, half bekauze and consider it to be kool, and half bekauze and uas too lazj in Russian class to learn anjthing else. I imagine native Russian (or similar) speakers, this looks reallue ueird.

====================================
www.ShoutingElectronics.com Don't just talk about Electronics, SHOUT ABOUT IT! Electronics Blog Site and Youtube Channel

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2018, 08:06:21 pm »
Not all datasheets are in English by default. Back in the old days French and German companies made datasheets in their own language because most people in those countries couldn't understand English. Nowadays the same is very true for China and (probably) Japan.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2018, 08:26:21 pm »
Meantime, it is with great pleasure that I can now say things like: ± 5µV/√Hz at 300°K …

...and then you will get pedants pointing out that it is not proper to use the degree symbol with Kelvin, so it should just be: ± 5µV/√Hz at 300 K

Offline Cerebus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2018, 08:31:00 pm »

But at least it means that Rüdiger and Phillipé can spell their names correctly and the rest of us can enjoy a little concise mathematical notation. I don't know why you're so determined to be such a stuck-in-the-mud about it. I suspect that you've probably got another 0 reasons why it's a bad idea (little mathematical joke there). Oh — those hyphens remind me — it also allows the typographically minded of us to enjoy a proper em dash.

Offline chris_leyson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2018, 08:39:25 pm »
± 5µV/√Hz at 300 K
WTF where did the ± come from !
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 08:56:33 pm by chris_leyson »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf