Author Topic: USB hubs with Cypress/TI/NEC chips  (Read 1665 times)

Offline blueskullTopic starter

• Supporter
  • !
  • BA7LKP
USB hubs with Cypress/TI/NEC chips
« on: October 14, 2017, 11:33:35 pm »
Is there any high quality USB 2.0/3.0 hubs that are actually 100% compliant with USB specs?
I have some cheap hubs with VIA chips, but they don't work as expected.
Basically, for 99% of the population, they work fine, but they are not behaving like a real Intel root hub.
For instance, some hubs don't isolate port traffics, and a port can see data traffic of a different port.
Normally, this is not an issue because a USB device will just not process bus packets that doesn't address its own address.
But for me, since I write device side USB driver and I use hardware USB sniffer, it captures a lot of rubbish data and sample buffer fills up pretty quickly.
Also, most cheap hubs don't provide fast, MOSFET-based current limitation, which in the worst case can cause port damage if target board has a short.

So the question is, is there a really compliant USB 2.0 (or better 3.0) hub that behaves just like chipset's native USB controller?
I'm not going to pay the price for a super industrial hub designed for German CNC machines, but I'm not targetting $20 shit either. My budget for a good, compliant 4 port hub is $100.

PS: no ASMEDIA, my mobo has an additional ASMEDIA USB 3.1 controller and the ports are absolute rubbish. Stability is like shit.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
Re: USB hubs with Cypress/TI/NEC chips
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 12:43:07 am »
6 years ago, I have used Startech hubs in a test setup and they are way more reliable than the Dynex hubs they replaced.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline dl1640

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 02:05:21 pm »
yes, no ASMEDIA

i have a hub said is NEC chip and need 10w supply

Offline John_ITIC

• Frequent Contributor
  • ITIC Protocol Analyzers
    • International Test Instruments Corporation
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 09:10:41 pm »
some hubs don't isolate port traffics, and a port can see data traffic of a different port.

This is actually the way USB hubs work. Downstream traffic is broadcast to all downstream hub ports and only the addressed device responds. A USB hub then works more like old-style Ethernet hub, rather than a switch, which does not pass on traffic to a non-matching subnet.

Therefore, if you hook up a USB Protocol Analyzer to a port you may see downstream traffic intended for a device on another cable segment (connected to another root port). Use the filter functions in your protocol analyzer to filter such "ghost traffic" out and you are good to go.

If you want to avoid seeing ghost device traffic, then use a dedicated USB host controller for the device you are debugging and capturing data from.

/John.
Pocket-Sized USB 2.0 LS/FS/HS Protocol Analyzer Model 1480A with OTG decoding.
Pocket-sized PCI Express 1.1 Protocol Analyzer Model 2500A. 2.5 Gbps with x1, x2 and x4 lane widths.
https://www.internationaltestinstruments.com

The following users thanked this post: blueskull

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf