Author Topic: USB MIDI Cable and Ubuntu  (Read 6771 times)

Offline edyTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
USB MIDI Cable and Ubuntu
« on: October 16, 2017, 10:07:08 pm »
Hi folks,

I want to get back into MIDI sequencing and I have a relatively new laptop with Ubuntu Studio installed and lots of audio/MIDI programs. I also have a full size Yamaha MIDI keyboard. The only thing missing is a way to connect the two!

In the past, I used a special HOST to Serial-Port cable I made myself for Yamaha specifically, something similar to this, from a schematic where somebody figured out the pin-outs:

I can't use my old cable now, so I figured the best way to go is with a USB/MIDI interface cable. I looked on eBay and found them DIRT CHEAP! Almost TOO cheap.... Like this:

Can anyone give me some advice or share their experiences with USB/MIDI cables and if those found on eBay are worth buying? Are there problems with lag, cable length or signal issues, or other compatibility problems with Ubuntu?

Does anyone on the forum here have experience with MIDI sequencing on Ubuntu using such cables? Does Ubuntu recognize the USB device, and do the sequencing programs (like Rosegarden, QSynth, Hydrogen, etc...) work ok with it? I'm still new to the complexity of Ubuntu's JACK way of configuring all the connections internally, as some devices seem to have MIDI OUT but no IN, and vice-versa, I can't always connect things the way I want to or figure out what channels are where and how things are being mapped. Hopefully I'll figure it out soon.

BY THE WAY....

I found the following article which also made me worry (MISSING COMPONENTS):    :palm:

http://www.arvydas.co.uk/2013/07/cheap-usb-midi-cable-some-self-assembly-may-be-required/

I won't copy the whole article here, but there are a bunch of images which show how there are missing opto-isolators, resistors, etc... on these boards which make them not work on some devices and work on others. What is someone supposed to do?

They have these at BestBuy and WalMart for $22... both look the same:

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/agptek-usb-midi-music-cable-converter-pc-to-music-keyboard-supports-window-vista-xp-mac-os/11624102.aspx?

AND...

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/Activity-Indicators-In-Out-Audio-MIDI-to-USB-Cable-Cord-Maqez/PRD6N1L4T28GNY8

Meanwhile the eBay versions are $3-5 shipping included. What am I to trust?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 10:34:24 pm by edy »
YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link
"Ye cannae change the laws of physics, captain" - Scotty

Offline alexanderbrevig

• Frequent Contributor
  • Musician, developer and EE hobbyist
    • alexanderbrevig.com
Re: USB MIDI Cable and Ubuntu
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 10:16:16 pm »
Most of those uses the standard USB HID profile for MIDI. Should be close to plug and play. Google ALSA as well, and maybe the part number for what you got and you'll be set.

If you have a lot of outboard gear you should consider getting more than one out. 16 channels gets eaten up quickly.

Offline edyTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 11:34:07 pm »
I have just one MIDI keyboard (Yamaha S-80) and was previously just setting up my 16 channels on the keyboard for up to 16 different patches/sounds. That was enough for me. When I was using Cubase VST it also allowed some software synths but at the time my computer hardware was not fast enough, so I used mostly the Yamaha S-80 sound banks and Cubase VST allowed me to throw in some samples/audio to sync up with the MIDI for recording vocals or sound effects in my sequence.

Now, with the faster computer, I am thinking to use mostly "soft-synths" rather than sending the MIDI back out to my Yamaha S-80 or buying other external modules. Perhaps I would still use my Yamaha S-80 for a few sounds, but will try to see what the Soft Synths are capable of on Ubuntu. If I do that, I don't have to worry about more than 1 cable or having more than 16 channels, right?

I also just bought one of those CHEAP-O MIDI-USB cables on eBay for 0.99 cents (shipping all in). We'll see what kind of garbage I get. If it works, great, otherwise I will keep shopping around for something more decent.... and the garbage one can be good for a nice tear-down to share with everyone here and see what is missing.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 11:37:31 pm by edy »
YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link

Offline John B

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 02:34:04 am »
For the price they're worth trying, but they aren't reliable. It depends on the keyboard or device you're using. On one yamaha keyboard I tried, the stream of MIDI clock messages seemed to overwhelm the interface, consequently the damper pedal CC message was being interpreted as a note on message. A reliable interface I use is the roland UM ONE. Obviously its much pricier.

Offline Cervisia

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 02:32:14 pm »
Those cables with a clef printed on them are utter garbage. The Linux driver manages to work around one of their bugs (garbled SysEx), but cannot do anything about the others (garbled running status; electrical incompatibilities).

Any other USB/MIDI cable will work.

Offline edyTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 02:57:29 pm »
Now I wonder... If it is going to cost me $50 for a decent MIDI/USB interface cable, just so I can input notes easier for sequencing, why not go for a USB/MIDI-keyboard like this for $99 and not need to be plugged in upstairs with my huge Yamaha S-80:

https://www.long-mcquade.com/93565/Keyboards/MIDI-Controllers/IK-Multimedia/iRig-Keys-37-USB-MIDI-Controller-for-Mac-PC---37-Keys.htm

Does anyone know if this thing will work with Ubuntu? This looks much more portable and easy for me to sequence anywhere. I don't need the huge octave range, especially since each part will be within a certain span (like bass line, chord/harmony, melody, etc... I assume I can just pitch-shift things).

The only issue will be that if I plan on using ANY sounds on my Yamaha S-80 I will still need to output to USB/MIDI to the Yamaha to utilize some of the sound-banks and will still need a cable. Otherwise if I go completely soft-synth using the Ubuntu internal GM and other synths I can get away with it.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 03:02:03 pm by edy »

Offline Cervisia

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 05:18:03 pm »
Any USB MIDI device that runs without separate drivers in Windows and OS X will also run in Linux.

Offline John B

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 06:29:53 pm »
The reliability of USB MIDI keyboards is usually down to the commitment of the manufacturer in releasing and updating drivers. Smaller lesser known brands can come out with interesting controllers, but then lack after sales driver support. I have encountered these problems before, (on OSX) usually in the form of the computer not receiving messages from the keyboard, either intermittently or at all.

Again, a reliable brand Ive used is Roland. Korg is another.

It's the "get a fluke" argument of the music world. ;D

Offline edyTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 07:19:29 pm »
Thanks, I think that is why I will go to a local music shop and pick one up, with the understanding that if it doesn't work that I will be able to return it for a full refund.

While I may get a better price internet shopping for one, I do not want the hassle of trying to figure out how to return it and the postage involved.

While at first I thought a reliable USB/MIDI interface cable ($45-50) connected to my full sized Yamaha S-80 might be the answer, on second thought I am contemplating spending a bit more for one of these controllers ($100-140) and having the ability to take it around anywhere I go and not being stuck upstairs in my daughters' bedroom where the Yamaha S-80 is currently planted.... especially since they go to bed at 9pm on school nights.  :)

If I start having too much fun with this thing, I may start accumulating music gear... quite a nasty addiction I hear.  ;)

Offline edyTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2017, 05:25:24 pm »
Hi everyone, just a quick update... I managed to plug in that eBay USB-MIDI cable that I bought for 0.99 USD on eBay (like the one pictured above which has had some notes about working out of the box) and it works! I used "dmesg" and "lsusb" commands on Ubuntu and it registered as follows:

[ 1491.759850] usb 3-1: New USB device found, idVendor=1a86, idProduct=752d
[ 1491.759856] usb 3-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[ 1491.759860] usb 3-1: Product: USB2.0-MIDI

And lsusb revealed this:

Bus 003 Device 004: ID 1a86:752d QinHeng Electronics CH345 MIDI adapter

The system detected the device and I confirmed MIDI messages were getting received by installing "kmidimon". Then I opened up RoseGarden (MIDI Sequencer on Ubuntu) and set up a General MIDI device and in RoseGarden settings set recording and playback (under "Manage MIDI Devices") to 20:0 CH345 MIDI 1 (Duplex) which is what it is being marked as in the system.  :-+

Now I have the job of setting up my banks in the system for my keyboard Yamaha PSR-E323 which I am using for both MIDI control and also I can use some of the sound-banks in it (drum kits, instruments). Otherwise I can also use internal Software Synths... will have to see. Besides the music it is a big job just getting the entire system configured and set up.

Anyways, I wanted to confirm that at least for BASIC MIDI data flow, this 0.99 USB (delivered total cost) cable seems to work!

Offline Cervisia

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2017, 07:27:09 pm »
QinHeng Electronics CH345 MIDI adapter
This chip's firmware does not handle running status correctly. And for $ 0.99, you did not get an optocoupler, so its receiver will not work with all MIDI outputs.

Offline edyTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2017, 08:27:50 pm »
Thanks, I know it is garbage which is why I bought the cheapest one I could find on eBay (many versions of this exist and apparently built differently so you can never know what you get except crap of varying compliance to MIDI standard). For the time being, I can dabble a bit with simple sequencing on a cheap keyboard... but you are correct that I will run into serious limitations as my experience and needs grow! I wouldn't have paid more than a buck for the gamble and expected it to be dead so I was surprised it even worked at all.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf