Author Topic: vacuum pump for component placement  (Read 3848 times)

Offline HarvsTopic starter

• Super Contributor
vacuum pump for component placement
« on: January 04, 2013, 02:42:05 am »
Any recommendations on where or what to get for a vacuum pump for placing SMD parts (i.e. like on mikeselectricstuff's video)?

I've tried modifying a aquarium pump that I had lying around.  I couldn't get that to work, the one I had wasn't as easy as a lot described on the net.

I've tried the local fridge repair joint for a pump, and they don't have any anymore.  Apparently they just don't bother keeping them, as it's not worth it anymore.

So short of waiting for a kirb side rubbish collection and collecting an old fridge for it's compressor.

Are there any straightforward vacuum pumps that don't require hacking something half arsed together?  eBay pretty much just has "refrigeration" pumps, that I'm really not sure what they're used for.  However, at 0.25-1hp they seem more than a little overkill for picking up a 0805 resistor.

Offline Praxis

• Contributor
Re: vacuum pump for component placement
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 02:47:34 am »
Check out Aqualifter brand aquarium pumps.  These are small diaphragm pumps designed to pump either air or fluids, and should work handily without any modification.  Just plug some aquarium tubing into the intake port and there you go.  They're about fifteen bucks.

They've got enough power for three feet of water lift to the unit; that should be plenty enough for holding SMD parts. 

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 04:56:39 am »
Thanks Praxis, the local pet shops don't stock them so I'll probably just order one online and see how it goes.

Edit: Turns out these are pretty much only available in the US, so with shipping the price is doubled or tripled.  Also I'd need a 240V to 110V converter.

Surely there's got to be some sort of small vacuum pump available on the oz market???
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 05:04:48 am by Harvs »

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 05:33:57 am »
An electric tire pump with a hose glued over the inlet should work very well and cost very little. Run it from the 5V rail of an old PC power supply to keep the noise level down.

At work, one (small) automatic test system I have seen used a vacuum pump operated by compressed air, similar to the ones used in some chemistry labs. They have no moving parts and are thus extremely tolerant of debris and other contamination, but the efficiency is rather low and they tend to be quite noisy. (They also automatically release the vacuum when the air is turned off, very useful when you have a compressed air solenoid bank that you want to turn one or more ports into vacuum sources.) I have seen a consumer version for sale at Harbor Freight for $15. (Labeled for A/C service use, which even a good one is not close to good enough for.)
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 06:25:07 am »
If you go the fridge compressor route choose the smallest fridge you can find, as well as one using R600A, as then you do not have to change the oil. If you use a R134A unit you will have to change the oil to a mineral oil as the POE oil in there will pick up water and turn into a very aggressive acid in a few hours and eat the pump out from the inside. On the outlet side you will need a oil separator ( simple one is a small one for compressed air with a filling of glass wool packed into the unit around the built in filter) as it will blow small amounts of oil out in use.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2013, 07:45:13 am »
Did you try googling 'airbrush pump'? There are many sources.
I'd go for a dry-piston or diaphragm type; no oils involved, and they pump atmospheric air with water vapor and dust, with no trouble.

What quality vacuum do you need? Maybe 15 to 20" mercury? (Atmospheric pressure is roughly 30" mercury)

Another option could be to find a cheap/broken desoldering station, and scavenge the vacuum pump from that.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline JuKu

• Frequent Contributor
    • LitePlacer - The Low Cost DIY Pick and Place Machine
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2013, 09:40:51 am »
Aoyue 932 and a foot operated relay valve.
http://www.liteplacer.com - The Low Cost DIY Pick and Place Machine

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 10:53:50 am »
Cheers for that, there's some more options to investigate.

Offline johnwa

• Frequent Contributor
    • loopgain.net - a few of my projects
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2013, 12:16:27 pm »
Have a look in your local automotive accessories shop. They sell air horn kits, so all the rednecks can make their cars sound like big trucks. :palm: The kits usually have little 12V rotary vane compressors with them, which can be run in reverse as vacuum pumps. I used one of these to build a desoldering station a while ago. I don't know exactly how much vacuum they can produce, but they might be an option for you.

Offline calin

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2013, 05:23:48 pm »
Do an ebay for "vacuum pump smd" - got somethign like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pump-Vacuum-Suction-Pen-Placement-Machine-IC-SMD-BGA-Chip-Pick-Up-Tools-220V-/320823805116?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab296c4bc

But beware .. the thing can "absorb" yor chips  ;D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf