Author Topic: Value of HP 8116A Function Generator  (Read 9325 times)

Offline NiriosTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Value of HP 8116A Function Generator
« on: July 25, 2012, 08:49:30 pm »
Hello all,

I've been a long time watcher of the videos and recently decided to further pursue my interest in electronics.  I am trying to learn more about the basics and in the process put together a workbench of tools.  I was told a function generator should be on my list of tools to acquire.

What is the going value of a HP 8116A function generator?  I was thinking $100 - 130 would be a good range, but don't want to over pay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370632385551

Or should I be looking for an entirely different type of generator?

Thanks.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
Re: Value of HP 8116A Function Generator
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 09:06:33 pm »
This is a venerable older HP FG that is an exceptional performer, but is cantankerous with age.  Because of that, older units are repaired and can be sold at a premium, $2000 as a high, $500 as a low.  Typical in the $300 range, status unknown but 'working'.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/general-chat/hp-8116a-function-generator-from-ebay-a-write-up/

I've read of a good number of reports of adventures in repairing them outside of eevblog, its not something I personally would bid on, even if it works. 
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2012, 09:56:49 pm »
The 8116 is a pretty good machine that is still in demand. So prices remain fairly high.
Do NOT buy the machine if E21 or E35 is show on the display at power on.
Those errors are irrepairable as the shaper or vco hybrid are shot. Those hybrids are long obsolete and this is the reason people give money for busted up 8116s just to get the hybrids..

I have a bunch of experience fixing 8116s. I repaired 7 of them so far. They are protty robist bit cannot tolerate injecting dc in the output. That destroys the amp.

Other faults are caused by age and overheating.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline JackOfVA

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 10:34:26 pm »
The 8116A has a NiCd battery - if it has failed and the case ruptured, there's a real risk damage to the PCB. I repaired one for a friend and found the NiCd had leaked but fortunately the traces were not harmed. 

Offline JuiceKing

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 05:14:49 pm »
I have an 8112A pulse generator, which is from the same family. I bought it from eBay cheaply and have had no operational problems. My main complaint is that it has a pretty loud fan and lots of wind noise, so much so that it's a relief when I turn it off. (Knowing its importance and fearing that the noise was a sign of impending doom, I replaced the fan with a new one from Agilient--cost me almost as much as the unit, and this made only a marginal improvement.) My other complaint is that the box is very deep, which means that it hogs more space on my bench than I'd like. You should check the dimensions of the 8116A to see if it will fit in the spot you have in mind. Finally, even in spec, it doesn't offer a very high resolution of control or much accuracy of setting. There are plenty of signal generators out there that don't have the pulse generator capabilities that give you more resolution.

Inside, I found grey goo that had leaked from an unknown spot and ran across traces and dribbled inside. It was easy to clean up with alcohol and did no harm. I did some research and found out that the grey goo was melted insulator bumper plastic. The bumpers were stuck on the circuit board, probably to keep it from touching a shield board that is right under it.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 05:52:26 pm »
Have you seen dave's latest video? That rigol FG looks to be a beast ... i highly recommend it against this one ...  :-\ usually i would be like HP!HP! but i have tried to find working ones and hardly any of them works ata ll ... the ones that are local to me

Offline JuiceKing

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 06:29:12 pm »
Oh, and depending on what you have in mind for your function generator, check nominal distortion levels. I'm not talking about broken units, just that you can't take it for granted that you will get, for example, THD < 0.02% in the audio range. That it's not mentioned in the datasheet is a clue that it's not too good. You have to consult the service manual to discover that 8116A promises only less than 1% THD up to 50Khz.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 06:45:13 pm by JuiceKing »

Offline NiriosTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 03:30:36 pm »
Thanks to everyone for the feedback.  I let that action pass.

Since I do not have a specific use/requirement for a function generator, I have lowered my search.

Anyone have any experience with a BK Precision 3011B 2MHz?

Offline Bryan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 08:04:01 pm »
What is the difference between a  8112A and a 8116A?
-=Bryan=-

alm

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, 08:18:33 pm »
That the 8112A is just a pulse generator and the 8116A is a combination pulse and function generator, so it will also do sines and triangular waves? For more detail, compare these datasheets:
http://www.teknetelectronics.com/DataSheet/HP_AGILENT/HP__8112a.pdf
http://www.teknetelectronics.com/DataSheet/HP_AGILENT/HP__8116a.pdf

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2013, 08:49:23 pm »
the key difference is that the 8116 is a function generator (sine trianlge square ) option 001 adds bursts and all kinds of crazy things to it
the 8112 is a pulse generator. you can set repetition rate, pulse length , slope rise and fall time and other things. (the 8116 has no slope control )
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline dfmischler

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2013, 01:55:35 am »
Anyone have any experience with a BK Precision 3011B 2MHz?
I got one on ebay for about $40 USD.  It works OK, but at low sine wave output levels there are little glitches on the waveform (might be specific to my unit).  Not a bad FG if you can get it for a low price.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf