Author Topic: Video camera Buying in Japan.  (Read 11233 times)

Offline gildasdTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Engineering watch officer - Apprentice Officer
    • Sci-fi Meanderings
Video camera Buying in Japan.
« on: August 26, 2014, 01:25:19 pm »
I will getting a video camera there, mostly as a good excuse to explore Akihabara...

I have not used or researched video cameras since using JVC Mini DV's for work yeeeaaaars ago.
So quite frankly, I'm illiterate and have prior knowledge: a dangerous mix.

I can film with the DSLR, but it's pro quality and need pro quality care and attention to get results. I want to go on holiday, not film a documentary about going on a holiday.

The main usage would be holiday filming, no zooming to faraway objects (no Yeti/Bigfoot spotting planned), the 35mm equivalent range would be 28/75mm.
Small, splash proof and easy to use would be great.
A secondary use would be filming some YouTube content (math tutorials specific to ships engineers - on paper from overhead) but nothing near to being professional.
720P at 60images second would be plenty.
My price range is in the 200€/160£/28000Yen area... Am I even realistic of getting something at this price?

Any feedback on brand models you lot have used? Anything to avoid like the plague? Any shop recommendation?

Thanks!
I'm electronically illiterate

• Frequent Contributor
    • Sci-fi Meanderings
Re: Video camera Buying in Japan.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 03:40:35 pm »
Thanks, that´s a great starting point. I'll check out your wiki.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 06:07:46 pm »
Better get a good compact camera which can film for that price. I have a Canon Ixus 1000HS and it works excellent for filming.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Frequent Contributor
    • Sci-fi Meanderings
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 04:59:17 am »
Already have a compact cam that films, but the ergonomics and form factor don't convince me.
The really bad part is the shitty mike... From what I've seen even the cheapest big brand video cam does better.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 06:39:57 am »
If I was getting something for holiday use then my #1 requirement would be micro USB charging in-camera, so I can recharge anywhere using the same battery pack I carry for the my phone and other micro USB devices. You probably won't get that in a camcorder style?
I got a Sony NEX-5T for this very reason.

Offline dexters_lab

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 11:17:20 am »
having just been there and bought some stuff from yodobashi...

i would do your research here and narrow down your choices before you go so you can go in knowing what you want. You could spend time cross referencing with whats available on www.yodobashi.com where you can search model numbers (note the website does seem to be slightly cheaper than the physical stores)

trying the cameras out is important, not just for the basic controls but how easy the menus are to navigate. I tried a few different cameras before i picked my Panasonic HC-V720 mostly due to how the menus worked (layout and how fast they respond)

yodobashi are very helpful (like everywhere in Japan) and had no problem buying a nikon lens with credit card on chip&pin, they just assumed i was a tourist so asked for my passport to discount the consumption tax (they tag a receipt inside your passport that you have to show when you exit through passport control when your going home).

Offline justanothercanuck

• Frequent Contributor
  • Doing retro repairs...
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 04:36:32 pm »
I've heard from people living in Japan, that Akihabara has kindof become a tourists electronics region, you might also want to also check out Mandarake.

Also, be careful when filming, the locals might not be interested in being in the background.  I guess that's common sense, but in North America, people whip out their phones and record anything.  :-//
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 04:38:13 pm by justanothercanuck »
Maintain your old electronics!  If you don't preserve it, it could be lost forever!

• Frequent Contributor
    • Sci-fi Meanderings
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 04:15:19 am »
If I was getting something for holiday use then my #1 requirement would be micro USB charging in-camera, so I can recharge anywhere using the same battery pack I carry for the my phone and other micro USB devices. You probably won't get that in a camcorder style?
I got a Sony NEX-5T for this very reason.

True, I don't buy anything that can't be charged by a USB cable or uses non standard connectivity and/or cards.
We will be backpacking so space, volume and weight are at a premium.

The type of cam seems to be http://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/cameras-camcorders/camcorders/active-hd-camcorders/hx-wa30eb.html kind.
It seems there are more basic versions in Japan/US (no Wifi etc) that are not distributed in Europe.
Anyhow, a cam that can't be used on the beach or because it's raining is of little use.

Bloody hell! The range of equipment on http://www.yodobashi.com is nuts.
How do you say water proof or resistant in Japanese? The Google translation"??" seems to be not relevant.

Here is a pretty good example:
http://www.yodobashi.com/%E3%83%91%E3%83%8A%E3%82%BD%E3%83%8B%E3%83%83%E3%82%AF-PANASONIC-HX-WA20-H-%E3%83%87%E3%82%B8%E3%82%BF%E3%83%AB%E3%83%A0%E3%83%BC%E3%83%93%E3%83%BC%E3%82%AB%E3%83%A1%E3%83%A9-%E3%82%B5%E3%83%B3%E3%82%BF%E3%83%BC%E3%83%B3%E3%82%B0%E3%83%AC%E3%83%BC/pd/100000001001494055/
15000Yen, that's 110 Euros!!!
Can it really be that cheap?

« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 04:49:40 am by gildasd »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 10:35:20 am »
True, I don't buy anything that can't be charged by a USB cable or uses non standard connectivity and/or cards.
We will be backpacking so space, volume and weight are at a premium.

Smart move, but I've found it incredibly difficult to find stuff that charges from a standard micro USB, beware, and don't trust any online reviews that say it uses standard micro USB! I've been caught out a few times with that.

The type of cam seems to be http://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/cameras-camcorders/camcorders/active-hd-camcorders/hx-wa30eb.html kind.
It seems there are more basic versions in Japan/US (no Wifi etc) that are not distributed in Europe.

They are Sanyo units, Panasonic acquired them.
Doesn't say standard Micro USB, but looks like it?
http://www.ixbt.com/divideo/panasonic-hx-wa30/06big.jpg
I used to shoot the blog with a HD-1010, and I liked the gun form factor.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 10:37:34 am by EEVblog »

• Frequent Contributor
    • Sci-fi Meanderings
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 12:28:20 pm »
They are Sanyo units, Panasonic acquired them.
Doesn't say standard Micro USB, but looks like it?
http://www.ixbt.com/divideo/panasonic-hx-wa30/06big.jpg
I used to shoot the blog with a HD-1010, and I liked the gun form factor.

It seems you can charge it with USB and the the battery is the exact form factor as my Pentax WS80, so in the worst case, i'll only need one charger for the two.

The exchange rate is really good at the moment, so yes stuff is very cheap. It's been a rollercoaster. Back in 2007 it was 225 yen/£, so I was a globe trotting playboy snorting wasabi out of 10,000 yen notes. Then around 2011 it was down 125 yen/£ so I was a poor binbonen living in a tent city and eating only Yoshinoa beef bowl. Now it's back up to 170 yen/£ I'm fairly affluent again.
As for waterproof... Try asking "bousui desu ka". I can't post the kanji for it on this forum but they usually use fairly obvious icons on the box for that kind of thing.

When are you going? I'll be there next month if you a hand.

I'll be there in 1 week for 3 weeks with wife and baby... So if I start meeting/talking to another geek about the merits of 60/40 solder, I might not make it back alive... But thanks for the offer!
Is there a good place to get a soldering station? Or is that not a good idea with the 100V standard?

Here is a list of stuff i plan/hope to get (as an excuse to wander about):
- Video cam.
- Second hand Canon 5D Mk2 (long time dream).
- Micrometer and Calipers (Mitutoyo or similar - second hand)
- Compact soldering station (even crappy ones are expensive in Belgium).
- One of those small signing stick things. This is really useful because I sometimes have to sign 200+ pages of homework...
- A English/Japanese dictionary (big one to take home - I'm a sucker for paper).
- Books that show step by stem wood construction methods (furniture, small architecture).
- High end drafting pencils (again, non existent in Belgium, my main Staedler is more than 15 years old and needs replacing)
- Kitchen stuff...
- Etc.

I 'll go with a partly empty bag, and try to bring back nice stuff that's hard to get elsewhere. Mostly non touristy stuff.
But it's an excuse to wander about, not an objective (apart from the Video cam)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 12:52:07 pm by gildasd »

Offline dexters_lab

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 06:49:18 pm »
The exchange rate is really good at the moment, so yes stuff is very cheap. It's been a rollercoaster. Back in 2007 it was 225 yen/£, so I was a globe trotting playboy snorting wasabi out of 10,000 yen notes. Then around 2011 it was down 125 yen/£ so I was a poor binbonen living in a tent city and eating only Yoshinoa beef bowl. Now it's back up to 170 yen/£ I'm fairly affluent again.

As for waterproof... Try asking "bousui desu ka". I can't post the kanji for it on this forum but they usually use fairly obvious icons on the box for that kind of thing.

When are you going? I'll be there next month if you a hand.

lol, whats wrong with beef bowl? Had some at Tsukuba Circuit, it was very nice! 8)

at 225 yen it must have been great, i would have ended up with excess baggage! All we came back with was a nikon lens and 5 panasonic usb chargers!

• Frequent Contributor
    • Sci-fi Meanderings
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2014, 09:22:45 am »
Wow, that's exhaustive!
I have to process this now (maps and all).

• Frequent Contributor
    • Sci-fi Meanderings
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2014, 09:38:06 pm »
Is there a good place to get a soldering station? Or is that not a good idea with the 100V standard?

I have a 100V Hakko 951 that I use with a step-down converter, it's fine. Since the plugs are completely different it's not like you can accidentally plug it in to 230V.

There are a few places to buy soldering stations on the west side of the station. I started work on a map that has many shops in Akiba: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zIv8e-XHKUeY.kmSTlyl3I8IU

Try either under the train tracks next to the station, or cross the road and head over to Sengoku (point X under "Electronics", sorry I don't know how to link to it directly) and that area.

Is this the place?

• Frequent Contributor
    • Sci-fi Meanderings
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2014, 11:03:34 am »
Wonderful!
I'll be getting the video cam and the 5D the first day, I'll go bargain-a-huntin' the last day or so.

Another thing I forgot, the shops that have camera equipment sell Ereaders?
A fellow got a 140€ ish Sony from a relative in Japan and it rocks. Having all three years of course work and only charging every 3 weeks is pretty neat!

We will staying at the Candeo Hotels Ueno Park in   1-2-13 Negishi, Taito-ku 110-0003 Tokyo for the first few days.

All booked and ready to go!

:)

• Frequent Contributor
    • Sci-fi Meanderings
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2014, 06:46:42 am »
We have bought the "Lonely Planet" hiking guide, and it has urban hikes of sorts, we will be following that.

Of course, my first objective is to Studio Ghibli Museum. The tickets were secured months ago  ;D

We will do a few "places of culture" a day, but also a lot of wandering about looking at the architecture. Does not have to be high rises, nice houses make us happy too.

• Frequent Contributor
    • Sci-fi Meanderings
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2014, 11:08:08 am »
Is there a Map system/App that for a Windows Phone that does not require permanent data?

Offline ivan747

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2014, 12:58:42 pm »
Just basic street mapping? Then get a paper map or a PDF.

Or do you want something more advanced? You could always get a prepaid SIM card loaded with Internet, that should be cheap, it's Tokyo after all.

• Frequent Contributor
    • Sci-fi Meanderings
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2014, 03:20:33 pm »
I was thinking something that would use Open Street Maps or similar, get a 32gig card and load all the places were are going to.

We prefer using paper maps, it's more fun, so it's more of a safety thing if we REALLY get lost hiking...
The idea is not to use it, but it's there if we need it.

I use to work for Garmin and Tomtom, and neither offer anything good for Japan (and I would have to pay the full price, the bigger the company, the more penny counters it becomes).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf