Author Topic: Website idea for sharing open hardware projects.  (Read 1501 times)

Offline bfrigonTopic starter

• Contributor
    • My blog
Website idea for sharing open hardware projects.
« on: February 12, 2015, 08:48:15 pm »
Hi,

I had an idea for a website that would allow people to share open hardware projects. Something like pastebin, with the ability to view pcb layouts and schematics inside the browser. You could upload an eagle or kicad file directly and a script would then convert them to png files.

The user would have the option to switch each layers on or off and zoom in on certain parts of the pcb.

It would be useful for people on this forum who have questions about their projects. It would provide a quick way to share the layouts and schematic so others can view them and give feedback.

You can share your files on github, but people need to download the files and open it in whatever what used to create it and if they don't have that particular program, they can't. You can always convert your files to PDF. That works well with schematics, but not so much for pcb layouts.

Anyway, it's still a crude idea... i just thought i would share it with you. What do you think?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 09:22:38 pm by bfrigon »

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
Re: Website for sharing open hardware projects.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 08:54:26 pm »
Github had viewers for special file formats such as stl but not for eagle files. This will be very useful. Currently I am also dumping as PDF.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf