Author Topic: WEEE wheelie bin confusion  (Read 4205 times)

Offline VK3DRBTopic starter

• Super Contributor
WEEE wheelie bin confusion
« on: July 19, 2018, 12:49:37 pm »
I am totally confused. For the WEEE directive, what is the black bar at the bottom of the wheelie bin symbol for?
Before you go quoting Wikipedia, consider the Wiki article might be wrong or out of date.

On the box and the device of the latest Apple iPhone, there is no black bar at the bottom of the Wheelie bin. In fact it appears all the Apple phones don't have the bar.
On the box and the device of the Samsung S8, there is a black bar at the bottom of the Wheelie bin. In fact it appears all the Samsung phones have the bar.
WHY?

It also appears batteries, whether user accessible or not, never have the black bar under the wheelie bin. WHY?

Is this just a case of utter confusion by another European directive? Or is Apple liable to a juicy billion dollar fine by the EU for not meeting the WEEE standards?
Another question: Why do BOTH of these companies not use the correct wheelie bin image (ie: with a handle etc)?

Apple example (look closely at the symbols on the back of the phone)
https://www.cultofmac.com/304497/say-goodbye-ugly-labels-back-iphone/

Samsung example (look closely at the symbols on the back of the phone)
https://www.theverge.com/2017/4/24/15407794/samsung-galaxy-s8-tips-how-to-screenshot

Please enlighten those of use who are confused over this symbol.

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
Re: WEEE wheelie bin confusion
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 01:28:33 pm »
I think the bar tells you who is responsible for recycling of the waste, black bar means the manufacturer/distributor, no black bar means you are.

As for the stylised symbols, no idea, I don't know if it has to be exact (wouldn't surprise me if that was the case)

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 01:30:25 pm »
I think the bar tells you who is responsible for recycling of the waste, black bar means the manufacturer/distributor, no black bar means you are.

As for the stylised symbols, no idea, I don't know if it has to be exact (wouldn't surprise me if that was the case)
AIUI it indicates that the product was manufactured after the directive came into force, so distributor is responsible for taking it back at EOL
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Tac Eht Xilef

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 12:23:24 am »
EN 50419 requires that:
  • the symbol includes a bar indicating the device was manufactured / placed on the market after the directive came into force, or
  • in addition to the symbol without bar, the device carry date marking that is similarly accessible, durable, legible and indelible as the symbol, or
  • both.
  • Alternatively, that any or all of the markings are applied to:
    • a flag attached to the supplied supply cord (if any), and in the operating instructions, and the warranty if supplied, or
    • on the packaging.
I also recall reading somewhere that that particular symbol is defined descriptively (i.e. "a wheelie bin, of proportions blah blah blah, crossed out, blah blah blah, of minimum size blah") and not prescriptively as a set of fixed immutable symbols (& there's at least 3 different IEE/IEC/EU ones that differ slightly in little details like handle/lid/foot placement & fill). But I can't recall or find where I read that, so don't quote me.

Then there's the US's "E-Label Act", as mentioned in one of the links in the OP....

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 03:19:08 pm »

AIUI it indicates that the product was manufactured after the directive came into force, so distributor is responsible for taking it back at EOL
Yes, always return the product to the place you bought it, at the end of its life. The same is true for warranty claims. The reason for this is because the customer has made a contract with the distributor, not the manufacturer.

Offline VK3DRBTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2018, 05:23:46 am »

Yes, always return the product to the place you bought it, at the end of its life. The same is true for warranty claims. The reason for this is because the customer has made a contract with the distributor, not the manufacturer.

Thanks for the comments. So the company you bought it from has gone out of business and you cannot return it to them. That is flawed legislation. From the comments it appears I am not alone in my confusion. At the end of a product's life, how the heck will a dumb consumer know to return it to the place of purchase for disposal. I can guarantee you most of the mobile telephones will end up in the rubbish bin. The consumer is very selfish by their very nature and few consumers have a conscience - that is why so many face savers buy new cars when the don't need to.

As for the incorrect symbols, I have no idea why Apple and Samsung appear to be openly flouting the law.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf