Author Topic: Well that's not safe  (Read 11128 times)

Offline Smokey

• Super Contributor
  • Not An Expert
Re: Well that's not safe
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2016, 05:24:22 am »
If your primary concern is safety, which it sounds like it is, then don't buy anything that doesn't have a legit UL cert and don't ever use a product except for the application it was intended.  Done.  Spend the money and don't worry about it.
If you are an engineer, then you can make your own informed decision if spending less money on a product with unknown quality is worth the added danger.  If you can't make that decision yourself (with a high degree of confidence), you probably shouldn't be asking people on the internet if applying a roll of electrical tape will keep your house from burning down.

Offline Red SquirrelTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2016, 06:57:03 am »
You don't really know if it will be UL approved till you get it though.   But it's pretty safe to assume anything from Amazon/Ebay wont be.  :P

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2016, 07:06:38 am »
You don't really know if it will be UL approved till you get it though.   But it's pretty safe to assume anything from Amazon/Ebay wont be.  :P

Sure it will be UL approved, as in Undertakers' Laboratories, not the Underwriters' one :P

Offline Red SquirrelTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2016, 07:17:35 am »

Sure it will be UL approved, as in Undertakers' Laboratories, not the Underwriters' one :P

And when I run it for an hour in a controlled environment and it does not catch on fire, I can just slap a QC passed sticker on it, too.  :-DD

In all seriousness I'll probably end up just using these as is.  I might look into bigger filtering caps though so I can reduce the ripple, but I figure as long as I don't touch it while it's on, which will be unlikely as it will be in a closed box, I should be ok.   The box will also be insulated to retain heat, and will also need to be built with some basic fire resistance, so probably some kind of foil, which will also help reflect light.   

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2016, 01:27:34 pm »
You really should return it, even if it's fine for your purposes. It's not right they should be allowed to get away with selling this shit.

I didn't bother return the cheap LED lights I bought (even though two of the five had some bad LEDs) but they weren't a safety hazard. I have bought some dangerous LEDs and I returned them.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf