Author Topic: what brand of cutters do you like for electronics  (Read 33815 times)

Offline Conrad Hoffman

• Super Contributor
    • The Messy Basement
Re: what brand of cutters do you like for electronics
« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2011, 08:38:34 pm »
I really like Lindstrom for ultra fine wires, but only if I can get somebody else to pay for them. It's disappointing to hear in a previous post that the quality may slide due to different sourcing. Moderate quality cutters are fine most of the time and I think all the brands mentioned here are way better than moderate. I do think true flush-cutting edges are a huge mistake for most users. That type of cut just isn't necessary most of the time and it makes the edges far less durable. Semi-flush-cutting is my preference. They last a lot longer. Every place I've worked, the flush-cutting cutters were the first to hit the scrap bin. I have semi-flush that I've used for 3 decades with no perceptible wear. My electronic cutters also last a long time because I have a nice pair of Knipex piano wire cutters so there's never a temptation to cut something I shouldn't!

Offline img

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #76 on: July 30, 2011, 08:46:16 pm »
... I have a nice pair of Knipex piano wire cutters so there's never a temptation to cut something I shouldn't!

Perhaps because there is nothing these cutters wouldn't cut anyway.  ;)

Offline Precisiontools

• Regular Contributor
    • PrecisionTools's Blog
« Reply #77 on: July 31, 2011, 02:54:10 am »
Tungsten Carbide cutters. Schmitz make a range of them as well. :)

Offline img

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #78 on: July 31, 2011, 06:32:12 am »

By the way, since you have seen these cutters in person, what about handle shape? Thin, medium, cushy - which is most comfortable? I kind of like comfy handles.  :-[

Offline Precisiontools

• Regular Contributor
    • PrecisionTools's Blog
« Reply #79 on: July 31, 2011, 10:38:38 am »
All the Schmitz range is ESD compliant so you don't have to care about it with them. They have three types of handle grips; dual component, thermoplastic textured and dip coated. Dual component are the ones for you. They have a hard and durable black thermoplastic base with a nice soft, tacky grip surface. They are very nice to use but I'm not sure if Knipex's multi-component grips are a touch better, but I would go Schmitz from my experience in using and testing them all. Better selection, directed at the electronic industry, cheaper and in my opinion, a better tool steel across their range.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 10:40:13 am by Precisiontools »

Offline img

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #80 on: July 31, 2011, 12:15:09 pm »
All the Schmitz range is ESD compliant so you don't have to care about it with them. They have three types of handle grips; dual component, thermoplastic textured and dip coated. Dual component are the ones for you. They have a hard and durable black thermoplastic base with a nice soft, tacky grip surface. They are very nice to use but I'm not sure if Knipex's multi-component grips are a touch better, but I would go Schmitz from my experience in using and testing them all. Better selection, directed at the electronic industry, cheaper and in my opinion, a better tool steel across their range.

I broke down and wrote to Schmitz about shipping and order procedures to the UK - their site is all in German.
ESD doesn't worry me much, I have to admit, but after days when I have to do a lot of cutting even Lindstroms make my hand hurt a bit, so I am now a cushy handles person (yes, I am a wimp).
Schmitz should hire you as a rep - you really know how to make people want their stuff.  ;)
Thanks a lot for all the advice, it was really useful in making a decision.

Offline Precisiontools

• Regular Contributor
    • PrecisionTools's Blog
« Reply #81 on: July 31, 2011, 12:27:13 pm »
Yep, I used to do a lot of assembling and good handles make all the difference.

I like and sell Schmitz but I'm not a fan boy. If there is something I dont like about them I will let people know, and if I find something better I will sell/use it. I went through these issues with Knipex! :)

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #82 on: July 31, 2011, 12:34:49 pm »
what about handle shape? Thin, medium, cushy - which is most comfortable? I kind of like comfy handles.  :-[
maybe this is comfy (photochopped image) if someone know if there's such thing.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Precisiontools

• Regular Contributor
    • PrecisionTools's Blog
« Reply #83 on: July 31, 2011, 01:05:22 pm »
And while we are on the subject of scissors  :P ...if you think it sucks dropping over $50 for a pair of pliers, spare a thought for what hairdressers have to fork for a good pair of scissors...

http://www.staysharpshears.com

Over $1000 anyone?

Offline img

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #84 on: July 31, 2011, 01:08:29 pm »
And while we are on the subject of scissors  :P ...if you think it sucks dropping over $50 for a pair of pliers, spare a thought for what hairdressers have to fork for a good pair of scissors...

http://www.staysharpshears.com

Over $1000 anyone?

Nah, that's the price at which they AREN'T selling. :)

Offline img

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #85 on: July 31, 2011, 01:11:59 pm »
what about handle shape? Thin, medium, cushy - which is most comfortable? I kind of like comfy handles.  :-[
maybe this is comfy (photochopped image) if someone know if there's such thing.

For cutting leads, I doubt that this is comfy. Looks painful, in fact. Consider how your hand would have to be positioned to be able to cut leads with scissors - this doesn't sound optimal, imo.

Offline Precisiontools

• Regular Contributor
    • PrecisionTools's Blog
« Reply #86 on: July 31, 2011, 01:28:05 pm »

Nah, that's the price at which they AREN'T selling. :)

You would be surprised...my hairdresser has a $800 pair. Ask next time you get a trim.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #87 on: July 31, 2011, 01:44:08 pm »
You would be surprised...my hairdresser has a $800 pair. Ask next time you get a trim.
what they are made of? silver? how much they charge for a cut/trim? if i can get my investment back at around 10 cut, then i will not hesitate getting one. its not a surprise for such a price, i got wahl clipper, camel scissor and trimmer (japanese stainless) at $100++ only for my kids (non profit use). the shop owner said its 50% discount, i dont know if its a bluff. but looking around the shop can be "jaw dropping" while looking at the price of a simple item.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 01:52:39 pm by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline comox

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #88 on: July 31, 2011, 03:29:24 pm »
those big bulging screw can get in the way i think, while try cutting component leads flat.
Valid point, actually. Which cutters do you use?
none. just in lurking stage. but i have experience working with things, but not up to the quality shown here. i used no brand or for rough job only to be precise.
Makes sense. At the end of the day, it's what we make with the tools, not how wonderful these tools are that .... The really expensive ones - well, they might be good, but I don't see what £50 cutters have that £30 cutters don't.
The Erem 622n cutters (pictured above) cost £33 from Farnell UK.  The needle nose pliers cost £41.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 03:32:16 pm by comox »

Offline Conrad Hoffman

• Super Contributor
    • The Messy Basement
« Reply #89 on: July 31, 2011, 05:04:46 pm »
re: scissors and tools with loop handles

Can't stand any of 'em as I have a lot of arthritis in my fingers and thumbs. They're always too small because metal costs money, and the surfaces aren't shaped at the right angles to be comfortable. That type of handle hurts like heck! Maybe that's what the hairdressers are paying for- all day comfort so they can continue to work. It's something you never consider when you're young. Enjoy it when everything works right because getting older sucks.

Offline img

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #90 on: August 02, 2011, 07:37:46 pm »

A couple of questions from reading Schmitz catalogue.
1. Ignoring 'special bevel' option, their cutters are available in no bevel, fine bevel, 'normal' bevel - I think I'll go for fine bevel. I am worried that the no bevel version will die very quickly.
2. Relieved jaws or not?
3. What's your opinion of the oblique tip cutters (p.11 in catalogue) and the SMD stuff (p.16-17)?
4. What's your opinion of 4217HS22 (non-serr microfine jaws), 4416HS22 (long jaws bent at tip), 4337HS12 (wire-benders - cute)?

My shopping list so far:
3122HS22 or 3132HS22
3222HS22 or 3232HS22
4212HS22
4214HS22

Maybes:
4416HS22
4217HS22
4337HS12
oblique tip cutters and SMD stuff (never owned, hence open to suggestions/advice)

Did I miss anything obvious?

Thanks!

Offline eliocor

• Supporter
    • rhodiatoce
« Reply #91 on: August 02, 2011, 09:31:21 pm »
You didn't say what the usage will be for!
This is especially true for bevel type.
Please tell us what will be the material you will use with those cutters...

BTW, I would buy the following:

1) WITHOUT BEVEL
2) RELIEVED JAWS (much easier to cut in difficult positions): read the first 25 pages of the  following document
3) I own some oblique tip cutters: I use them very rarely, but in some situations they are really useful. Buy the SMD ones, not the others!
4) instead of 4337, I'd prefer the 4231. I'd suggest also 4225/4221 for wire bending too.

5) the most interesting items in the catalog are the Tungsten-carbide cutters. Instead I'm really not so fond of the box joint used by Schmitz cutters.

Offline Precisiontools

• Regular Contributor
    • PrecisionTools's Blog
« Reply #92 on: August 03, 2011, 02:28:43 am »

A couple of questions from reading Schmitz catalogue.
1. Ignoring 'special bevel' option, their cutters are available in no bevel, fine bevel, 'normal' bevel - I think I'll go for fine bevel. I am worried that the no bevel version will die very quickly.
2. Relieved jaws or not?
3. What's your opinion of the oblique tip cutters (p.11 in catalogue) and the SMD stuff (p.16-17)?
4. What's your opinion of 4217HS22 (non-serr microfine jaws), 4416HS22 (long jaws bent at tip), 4337HS12 (wire-benders - cute)?

My shopping list so far:
3122HS22 or 3132HS22
3222HS22 or 3232HS22
4212HS22
4214HS22

Maybes:
4416HS22
4217HS22
4337HS12
oblique tip cutters and SMD stuff (never owned, hence open to suggestions/advice)

Did I miss anything obvious?

Thanks!

Fine Bevel is a good call.

I dont see any need for relieved jaws. I'd prefer a little more meat in the blades for extra strength. If you find your having issues in tight areas, get a small jaw set later - more useful I have found.

Oblique cutters? My theory with tools is; if you cant think of a need for them then you probably wont use them. I have a pair and have never used them more than a few times. Your needs might be different.

SMD? I have always found good tweezers to be more useful...that's just me. I'm not sure if I would be comfortable "cutting" a SMD from a PCB - too much risk to the tracks. Having said that though I have never used them. As I said, tweezers and iron on SMD re-work for me. Others here with more SMD rework experience might like to comment...

The 4217HS22 would be a good investment if you are doing fine work.

If you feel the need for the bent jaws (I have them and have found them useful), think about your application and also consider the 4413HS22 (the one above it in the catalogue :)). I have found the bend further down the jaw more useful. Think: inserting or removing a small ceramic cap into a PCB with taller components around them. You know what I think about smooth jaws too eh?  ;)

I have also had wire benders (a bit different to the ones you mentioned) for a long time - never used them! Tools for jewellers, not technicians!

As mentioned...the golden rule is; if you cant see a glaring need or application for a tool then it will probably sit in you case and do nothing. Not that there is anything wrong with this, sometimes its nice to own and fondle tools. ;D But you have to be a bit of a nut bag like me! Are you a collector? Are your tools a hobby? Are they a passion? If not and you just want nice quality tools to help you earn a living or enjoy a hobby then I say follow the golden rule.

Most people would be happy with:

3222 HS 22 Tapered head side cutter.
4212 HS 22 Short nose snipe, serrated jaw
4412 HS 22 Long nose snipe, serrated jaw (or smooth if that's the way you slide)
And might chuck in a bent jaw if the individual sees a need for it and maybe a smaller head cutter as well.

Tungsten carbide are only needed for cutting harder materials like Kevlar, optic fibre (?) or various steel wires.

Dont listen to me though, buy what you think you need. You can always buy more later and ping what you dont like/use on ebay.  :)

Or you can just keep them and fondle.  ???

Cheers

« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 02:31:43 am by Precisiontools »

Offline img

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #93 on: August 03, 2011, 08:19:59 am »
You didn't say what the usage will be for!
This is especially true for bevel type.
Please tell us what will be the material you will use with those cutters...

Ah, sorry, doh!
PCB work, cutting legs of components.
Comfy handles are wanted, not the thin coated ones, and not handles that are too small, if you know what I mean.

Offline img

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #94 on: August 03, 2011, 08:53:20 am »

Fine Bevel is a good call.

I dont see any need for relieved jaws. I'd prefer a little more meat in the blades for extra strength. If you find your having issues in tight areas, get a small jaw set later - more useful I have found.

Oblique cutters? My theory with tools is; if you cant think of a need for them then you probably wont use them. I have a pair and have never used them more than a few times. Your needs might be different.

SMD? I have always found good tweezers to be more useful...that's just me. I'm not sure if I would be comfortable "cutting" a SMD from a PCB - too much risk to the tracks. Having said that though I have never used them. As I said, tweezers and iron on SMD re-work for me. Others here with more SMD rework experience might like to comment...

The 4217HS22 would be a good investment if you are doing fine work.

If you feel the need for the bent jaws (I have them and have found them useful), think about your application and also consider the 4413HS22 (the one above it in the catalogue :)). I have found the bend further down the jaw more useful. Think: inserting or removing a small ceramic cap into a PCB with taller components around them. You know what I think about smooth jaws too eh?  ;)

I have also had wire benders (a bit different to the ones you mentioned) for a long time - never used them! Tools for jewellers, not technicians!

As mentioned...the golden rule is; if you cant see a glaring need or application for a tool then it will probably sit in you case and do nothing. Not that there is anything wrong with this, sometimes its nice to own and fondle tools. ;D But you have to be a bit of a nut bag like me! Are you a collector? Are your tools a hobby? Are they a passion? If not and you just want nice quality tools to help you earn a living or enjoy a hobby then I say follow the golden rule.

Most people would be happy with:

3222 HS 22 Tapered head side cutter.
4212 HS 22 Short nose snipe, serrated jaw
4412 HS 22 Long nose snipe, serrated jaw (or smooth if that's the way you slide)
And might chuck in a bent jaw if the individual sees a need for it and maybe a smaller head cutter as well.

Tungsten carbide are only needed for cutting harder materials like Kevlar, optic fibre (?) or various steel wires.

Dont listen to me though, buy what you think you need. You can always buy more later and ping what you dont like/use on ebay.  :)

Or you can just keep them and fondle.  ???

Cheers

Oh, I do like nicely made tools, guilty as charged, pleasure from using and fondling is about 50/50 for me.
And I HATE smooth jaws!  >:(

So 'fine bevel' and 'no relieved jaws' options are taken onboard.
I never cut off SMDs from boards either, just got curious when saw the tools.
And I understand what you mean about getting pliers to do tweezers' job, no need for that, that's why we have tweezers.

My shortlist:
Part 1 - 'definitely yes'
3122HS22
3222HS22
4212HS22
4412HS22
Part 2 - 'fondle list'
4217HS22 - smooth jaw is a turn-off, otherwise I really like them
4413HS22 - are you sure you meant the smooth-jaw ones, not 4414HS22?

Thank so much, I feel you understand my disease! :)

Offline Precisiontools

• Regular Contributor
    • PrecisionTools's Blog
« Reply #95 on: August 03, 2011, 09:38:53 am »

Oh, I do like nicely made tools, guilty as charged, pleasure from using and fondling is about 50/50 for me.
And I HATE smooth jaws!  >:(

So 'fine bevel' and 'no relieved jaws' options are taken onboard.
I never cut off SMDs from boards either, just got curious when saw the tools.
And I understand what you mean about getting pliers to do tweezers' job, no need for that, that's why we have tweezers.

My shortlist:
Part 1 - 'definitely yes'
3122HS22
3222HS22
4212HS22
4412HS22
Part 2 - 'fondle list'
4217HS22 - smooth jaw is a turn-off, otherwise I really like them
4413HS22 - are you sure you meant the smooth-jaw ones, not 4414HS22?

Thank so much, I feel you understand my disease! :)

Sorry, your right with the 4414HS22, serrated all the way...

Your selection looks like it would cover all bases to me. Post up an evaluation when you get them.

Looking through http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/ is always good for the addicted. Not electronic related but good for a look sometimes.  ;)

Cheers.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf