Author Topic: What calculator do you use ?  (Read 174022 times)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: What calculator do you use ?
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2012, 12:38:47 pm »
But other than that, yes, I use and recommend any pre-VPAM Casio algebraic.
The FX-260 as mentioned (goes under other names in other regions) is I believe the only model Casio still makes that does not have VPAM.
It is also one of the smallest scientific calcs on the market.

Dave.

Offline olsenn

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2012, 12:41:23 pm »
I still use, and LOVE, my TI-86. I bought it about 10 years ago and it has never let me down yet. I also own a HP-50g which i purchased because of all the rave reviews about it being a great calculator for engineers etc, but frankly, I think it is a piece of shit, and I will likely never use it again.

TI-86 FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HLA-27b

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2012, 01:51:51 pm »
Bought CASIO fx-5800P back in the day because it could run COGO (coordinate geometry) programs in the field. Needless to say I never ever had to use COGO  in anger but still love the 5800P and use it almost daily. Might steal those 27 formulas from Dave's and program them into mine but I doubt I'll use them either ::)

Offline Jad.z

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2012, 02:02:32 pm »
The FX-260 as mentioned (goes under other names in other regions) is I believe the only model Casio still makes that does not have VPAM.

Dave.

What's your take on V.P.A.M ?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2012, 02:11:07 pm »

I don't like it, I find it annoying.
I was bought up on using a calc were you entered the number and then the operator, not the other way around (the newer "Visually Perfect Algebraic Method").

Dave.

Offline odessaTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2012, 02:28:18 pm »
Went for the fx-83gt in the end, I quite like the look of the vpam tbh.

I must say as well, getting back into electronics at 40 ( after being into it as a kid ) really makes me wish I had paid more attention in maths, and also
just how beautiful it is ( never thought I would say that ! )

Jay
When  I die I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandad ... Not all shouting and screaming like the passengers on his bus.

Offline Time

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2012, 02:45:45 pm »
TI-89.  I have 2 and I use them both everyday.  1 at home and 1 at work.
-Time

Offline caroper

• Regular Contributor
    • Take your PIC
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2012, 02:49:20 pm »
I still swear by (not at) my trusty old HP16C.
Being of the old RPN only school of calculators I also have RealCalc installed on my Android phone.

Offline ciccio

• Frequent Contributor
  • Designing analog audio since 1977
    • Oberon Electrophysics
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2012, 04:38:19 pm »
My 20 years old HP 11C.
I have a scientific Casio in the lab (don't remember the model because  I do not use it often: I don't like to use an = key,  but this can open a debate, and I don't want this. ;)
My perfectly working (30 years old) HP 41C is into it's original box because  batteries are no more available.
Best regards
Strenua Nos Exercet Inertia
I'm old enough, I don't repeat mistakes.
I always invent new ones

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2012, 04:55:33 pm »
I still swear by (not at) my trusty old HP16C.
Being of the old RPN only school of calculators I also have RealCalc installed on my Android phone.

I too have RealCalc , but sometimes i find it a little lacking since i have to shuffle between screens for the extra buttons .
I use a Sharp calculator i won't say which but it's utter bullshit , those cheap ones , that battery contactors get all gummed up after a year . ( At least i can equate properly )
But it's only because i don't know what calc to buy .

Offline slateraptor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2012, 05:26:20 pm »
To place a bit of objectivity into selecting a suitable calculator, it's worth pointing out that young engineering students in the US looking to take the FE exam are limited to a small subset of NCEES-approved scientific calculators.

I personally use a HP 35s almost exclusively, although I would like to own the not much older 32sii. I also own/use: HP 15c (x2), HP 33s, and HP 50g. It goes without saying that once you've made the transition to RPN, you'll never settle for anything else.

I've owned/used a handful of TI graphing calculators, starting with 86 and 83 in high school, then 84 Ag and 89 Ti in college. Got tired of lugging around a massive calculator whose powerful features weren't very useful.

Offline meffe

« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2012, 05:35:19 pm »
Had a TI89 that died the night before my statistics exam. My flatmate had another one, so i was saved for that time.

Now i use HP 50g (excellent, except that the keys are a tad hard to press compared to what I'm used to) or the iPhone app m48 (free graphing HP48 emulator). Also have a Casio fx82-ES for exams or when I don't need my HP.

Plan to get a couple of HP30b (cheap and seems to have good keys) and upgrade one of them to WP48 (scientific calc firmware). Check that project out, it's really cool!

Offline lavo-1

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2012, 07:00:37 pm »
I used a 23 year old CASIO fx-570, but it has finally give up just last month (it also had the"0" key missing) :'(
I have been using RealCalc on my Tablet, but its just not the same.
I really miss being able to put in Engineering notations such a Mega, Kilo, micro pico, etc.
Modern calculators don't seem to have these short cuts now. ???
Maybe I'm just being lazy. :-[

Offline Kilroy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2012, 07:47:17 pm »
TI Voyage 200, TI-30XS, TI-30XA, Casio fx-991MS.

Invariably, a 0.5mm Pentel Sharp Kerry and paper for some stuff.

I really miss being able to put in Engineering notations such a Mega, Kilo, micro pico, etc.
Modern calculators don't seem to have these short cuts now. ???

Casio fx-991MS

Not really much of a short cut when compared to the the TI-30XS which lacks this capability and yet takes five less key strokes to add something like 5 X 10E-3 + 5 X 10E3 =

Like, 10 strokes to the Casio's 15.

The fool generalizes the particular; the nerd particularizes the general; some do both; and the wise does neither.

Offline ciccio

• Frequent Contributor
  • Designing analog audio since 1977
    • Oberon Electrophysics
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2012, 07:57:38 pm »
To place a bit of objectivity into selecting a suitable calculator, it's worth pointing out that young engineering students in the US looking to take the FE exam are limited to a small subset of NCEES-approved scientific calculators.
I've read the NCEES page, and I'm not sure that I fully understood:
They say that I cannot bring my trusty HP 11C to the exam, but I must buy that horrible-looking HP 33s?
Best regards
Strenua Nos Exercet Inertia
I'm old enough, I don't repeat mistakes.
I always invent new ones

Offline slateraptor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2012, 08:02:06 pm »

See attached image.

I've read the NCEES page, and I'm not sure that I fully understood:
They say that I cannot bring my trusty HP 11C to the exam, but I must buy that horrible-looking HP 33s?
Best regards

The 11c hasn't been manufactured for decades. I suspect the new 15c may make the approved list for 2013.

P.S. You don't have to buy a 33s, although it was the most powerful option prior to the 35s being released. In fact, you aren't required to bring a calculator if you don't want to, but if you do, it must be one on the approved list.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 08:05:38 pm by slateraptor »

Offline lavo-1

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2012, 08:14:42 pm »

Not really much of a short cut when compared to the the TI-30XS which lacks this capability and yet takes five less key strokes to add something like 5 X 10E-3 + 5 X 10E3 =

Like, 10 strokes to the Casio's 15.
[/quote]

???
Not sure I understand you buddy.
To input that sum in my old Casio fx-570CD would take 8 strokes :P

ie:5 shift 5 + 5 shift 6 =

Offline slateraptor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2012, 08:35:26 pm »
???

The real question: is the output in engineering increments as well? If not, how easy would it be to display the output in engineering increments, if at all possible?

Offline Kibi

• Supporter
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2012, 08:40:39 pm »

I don't like it, I find it annoying.
I was bought up on using a calc were you entered the number and then the operator, not the other way around (the newer "Visually Perfect Algebraic Method").

Dave.

Likewise, I used to have a Casio FX-82l. My sister lost that one for me.
Now I have a FX-82GT PLUS with V.P.A.M. Although logical, it's still annoying. The older generation is used to using a calculator a certain way ;)

Offline slateraptor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2012, 08:48:15 pm »
Although logical, it's still annoying.

I don't think "logical" is the right word. More like "convenient", especially to those who have little to no understanding of the actual mathematical operations invoked...it's a mindless copy/paste world these days.

Offline lavo-1

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2012, 08:48:34 pm »
???

The real question: is the output in engineering increments as well? If not, how easy would it be to display the output in engineering increments, if at all possible?

If you mean can it give you the answer as 5.000005 K instead of 5000.005 then yes.
You can either make a further 2 strokes ie:  MODE button followed by  .
or as I normally do, put it into MODE . (this is ENG Mode on the FX-570) before I start any engineering calculations.

Offline slateraptor

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2012, 08:55:22 pm »
If you mean can it give you the answer as 5.000005 K instead of 5000.005 then yes.
or as I normally do, put it into MODE . (this is ENG Mode on the FX-570) before I start any engineering calculations.

It sounds like the sequence [MODE] [.] ranges the most significant digits of the output from 0 < output < 1000 and determines the appropriate symbol to concatenate on the display. How about manually changing the output between engineering increments, i.e. 0.005000005 M or 5000005 m?

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2012, 09:04:35 pm »
I didn't know such existed, I would have bought one in a heart beat.  I use the general scientific ones and later used the Sharp PC-1 programmable to emulate what this Casio does.  What a gem!  Alas, no longer made.

What can be done now is using Android or iphones to emulate the FX 61.  Current there are a slew of EE calculators, but they don't have all the right functions in one app.

For 30 years I carried an FX98 as my go-to Casio until I found out it was rare, and losing it would be irreplaceable, if not terribly expensive.  So several years ago, I loaded up on FX-260s and leave the FX-98 at home.

I last saw an FX98 sold on eBay for over $300.

For Casio-nuts:

http://www.casio-calculator.com/Download/Collectors/CasioCollectors.html

Dave.
There is only one calculator designed specifically for electronics, the Casio FX-61F:

The end  ;D

Dave.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline Kibi

• Supporter
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2012, 09:27:15 pm »
Although logical, it's still annoying.

I don't think "logical" is the right word. More like "convenient", especially to those who have little to no understanding of the actual mathematical operations invoked...it's a mindless copy/paste world these days.

Yes, I agree, "convenient" is more the correct term. I did pause for a moment before choosing the word "logical", so yes, convenient is more the correct word. Thank you. :)

Offline lavo-1

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2012, 09:34:25 pm »

It sounds like the sequence [MODE] [.] ranges the most significant digits of the output from 0 < output < 1000 and determines the appropriate symbol to concatenate on the display. How about manually changing the output between engineering increments, i.e. 0.005000005 M or 5000005 m?

Sorry I don't follow you question.

If I was to put in 0.005000005 [shift] [7] and then [=] it would show 5.000005 K. note (key 7 being Meg)
and the same with 5000005 [shift] [5] [=] 5.000005 K. note (key 5 being milli)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf