Author Topic: What calculator do you use ?  (Read 173319 times)

Offline quarks

• Frequent Contributor
Re: What calculator do you use ?
« Reply #250 on: November 12, 2012, 09:35:17 am »
Just saw it.

That is great, thanks a lot for showing. I almost forgot about this one. Many years ago I had a colleague who really did his university with this mechanical wonder (he earned his master degree as a "watch maker" at university Geneva). When I first had it in my own hands I was blown away and tried to buy it from him. But of course I had no chance to get it.

In my very early days I had to work with this
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 09:45:13 am by quarks »

Offline chrome

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #251 on: November 12, 2012, 09:36:12 am »
Excel is a pain to do simple calculator math since you have to wait for the program to launch and then set up your function, where a calculator is usually at hand. But I do agree that it is a powerful tool especially when working with large data sets. I also agree that there are more advanced math programs and those programs will take even longer to set up. So I think you should use the simplest tool possible for the given problem because it will be most efficient.

Excel cold-boots under 2sec on my computer and a warm-start in under .5sec.

I can input much faster on my computer than on my TI-84+.

And I wouldn't use excel for stuff like 1+2 more like actual formula's.

If I'm at a computer without excel then i just use Wolfram alpha.

Offline ErikTheNorwegian

• Frequent Contributor
  • Asberger, aspi, HIGH function, nerd...
« Reply #252 on: November 12, 2012, 11:27:22 am »
Excel is a pain to do simple calculator math since you have to wait for the program to launch and then set up your function, where a calculator is usually at hand. But I do agree that it is a powerful tool especially when working with large data sets. I also agree that there are more advanced math programs and those programs will take even longer to set up. So I think you should use the simplest tool possible for the given problem because it will be most efficient.

Excel cold-boots under 2sec on my computer and a warm-start in under .5sec.

I can input much faster on my computer than on my TI-84+.

And I wouldn't use excel for stuff like 1+2 more like actual formula's.

If I'm at a computer without excel then i just use Wolfram alpha.

I did put all my formulas and calculations, and tables i need into my TI-nspire..
its  a Ti-84+ plus Excel and PC in one tool..  I do all the formulas finshed and load them from the PC into the TI-nspire and everything is a snap from there on to use. saves both time and the hazel of repeating the same keystrokes time after time.

/Erik
Goooood karma is flowing..

Offline PA4TIM

• Super Contributor
  • instruments are like rabbits, they multiply fast
    • PA4TIMs shelter for orphan measurement stuff
« Reply #253 on: November 12, 2012, 11:48:30 am »
I use the spreadsheet open-office. It is handy when having lots of data. But i use my calculators most often in my lab ( and most times I have no computer powered on there) or while designing and that I do while lying down without a computer, i draw schematics often on paper. ( i'm a bit disabled and can not sit very long)  so a programmable calculator is more easy for me. Upto now the HP-48GX app is becoming my favorite. I wanted to buy a HP50 but i read here  that it is not as good as the 48 and they changed several things again , not handy because  I'm just starting to know the 48.
I looked for used one, but they seem to cost even more as a new HP50, so it looks like the ipad app will stay my only HP48GX or maybe I better buy a HP50GX
Things I miss is the pi , lastx and x<>y button. I use those a lot. But i still have the 35's for the normal calculating jobs so not a real problem. What I like about the 50 is the size, huge screen and looks/layout. The 48 is ugly and so much knobs and text on it that I'm allways searching.

That is the thing I do not like from HP. On every calculator layout it complete different. Like pi is a yellow function on the 35s, a main buton on the 35, a blue function on the 15C and a softkey in a submenu on the 48, a yellow shift on the 42S ect. And brsides that every time above or under a different main key. ( like above Rdown on the 42S and above cos but under Rdown on the 35s)

Besides that, a spreadsheet does not have a solver. For instance my hp-48GX app has one formula for the thompson resonance formula. And using the solver i can get frequency, L or C. In a spreadsheet I need 3 formulas for that.

That Ti enspire is a very nice looking calculator with nice options but I thing to complex for me. I never had TI and I like the way HP works. So I stick to HP
www.pa4tim.nl my collection measurement gear and experiments Also lots of info about network analyse
www.schneiderelectronicsrepair.nl  repair of test and calibration equipment
https://www.youtube.com/user/pa4tim my youtube channel

Offline ErikTheNorwegian

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #254 on: November 12, 2012, 12:17:31 pm »
I can certainly agree to that, the calculator is like the IT infrastructure in a company, it got to mirror the true use and needs of the users.  :)

TI nspire is not that difficult to learn, its mostly  made as like as windows as possible. Its like a good book, you cant put it down when you got it i had it with me all the time the first month i had it, everywhere. So much to explore and the  possibilities it has  is so good. Cant live without it!
One things with it , on the CAS model is  you have "what if" possibilities, gives a hole new dimension on problem solving in math, make a handle for a value and drag it with the mouse and everything in the calculation/tabels/curves/spreadsheets changes accordingly! Cant say how much that mean to me, but its so great!

So  it cover my needs..

« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 03:15:12 pm by ErikTheNorwegian »
/Erik

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
« Reply #255 on: November 12, 2012, 01:22:26 pm »
Things I miss is the pi , lastx and x<>y button. I use those a lot.

The right cursor key under swap is x<>Y without needing the shift key. But last entry must be entered onto stack before using it because it acts as a cursor key while entering data.  It works from the computer right cursor key also

Offline quarks

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #256 on: November 12, 2012, 01:56:35 pm »
I wanted to buy a HP50 but i read here  that it is not as good as the 48 and they changed several things again , not handy because  I'm just starting to know the 48.

If you are not yet "spoiled" by the real HP48, than the HP50g is probably acceptable for you. Functionwise and pricewise actually it is a lot better compared to  the old 48
(If remember correctly I paid 500 DM for the 48GX, which would now be close to 250€ and for the 48SX I paid at least double of that price (with 128kB RAM card, HP solve equation Lib and serial interface kit)).

The main point I am disappointed with it, is the poor build quality compared to 48 Series, the look and feel and the many changes I struggle with. I just instead use my HP48GX, because I am faster. But if my 48GX brakes like my 48SX just did, I either have to get used to it or will go for the TI-nspire CX CAS.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 02:20:38 pm by quarks »

Offline ErikTheNorwegian

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #257 on: November 12, 2012, 04:15:11 pm »

http://www.amazon.com/TI-Nspire-For-Dummies-Computer-Tech/dp/1118004663/ref=pd_bxgy_e_img_y

You can buy this book if go for the TI-nspire...
Gives you a speedy way into the best calculator there is ..  :)

But the math with TI-nspire books by Brendan Keely is a joy to read and use.. highly recomended!!
The best there is..

http://www.amazon.com/Algebra-2-TI-nspire-Semester-1/dp/1895997402/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1352737322&sr=1-5&keywords=TI-Nspire
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 04:24:38 pm by ErikTheNorwegian »
/Erik

Offline chrome

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #258 on: November 12, 2012, 07:11:07 pm »

Besides that, a spreadsheet does not have a solver. For instance my hp-48GX app has one formula for the thompson resonance formula. And using the solver i can get frequency, L or C. In a spreadsheet I need 3 formulas for that.

Toch wel hoor.

Excel has a solver although I have not used it myself.
https://www.google.be/search?q=excel+solver

Offline Zad

• Super Contributor
    • Digital Wizardry, Analogue Alchemy, Software Sorcery
« Reply #259 on: November 12, 2012, 07:39:51 pm »
You can buy this book if go for the TI-nspire...
Gives you a speedy way into the best calculator there is ..  :)

Have you used an HP calculator? The Nspire is a huge toy in comparison. The market reception is so poor that they are re-designing it http://tech.slashdot.org/story/12/11/11/1819236/color-screen-ti-84-plus-calculator-leaked

Sadly, they are re-designing it to look like the Casio FX-CG20

For those more interested in proper tools rather than toys, you can now get rip-off sorry tribute emulations. Unusually, they are from Switzerland not China, and are credit card sized: http://www.rpn-calc.ch/

I wonder if Dave has seen these, they seem similar to his uCalc project.

Offline PA4TIM

• Super Contributor
  • instruments are like rabbits, they multiply fast
    • PA4TIMs shelter for orphan measurement stuff
« Reply #260 on: November 12, 2012, 08:29:38 pm »
That TI is very nice, can do a lot but as far as I can see it has no RPN. And I only use RPN. And not because I'm used to it for ages because 2 years ago I not even knew what it was, but since I have the 35S and tried RPN I'm hooked on it. It is so natural and the stack is also great.

A friend maybe has a HP48G for me ( according his dabase but that is not 100% up to date, he has several 1000 calculators) i hope he does because both my ipad 48 apps crash constantly and some functions do not work, or not allways. One is now so stuck I think have to reinstall it. In one the var function does not work, in the other the plot menu,  and if It by accident does ok it won't leave the plot mode. Very frustating. Because I never know if I just do it wrong or it is a bug in the  app
www.pa4tim.nl my collection measurement gear and experiments Also lots of info about network analyse
www.schneiderelectronicsrepair.nl  repair of test and calibration equipment
https://www.youtube.com/user/pa4tim my youtube channel

Offline ErikTheNorwegian

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #261 on: November 12, 2012, 08:31:45 pm »
Yes, i have 4 HP calculators in my drawer.. (all of them more or less broken) and to what i need a TI-nspire for, no HP can do.. simple as that.. as i said earlier.. you got to have the right tool for the right job.. and for what i do, the TI-nspire is the best. Toy or not, its doing the job, like showing the graphs, and doing 3D graphics.. that is what i need and no HP can do it like the Ti-nspire can...
Besides my studies/ university materials i get  are based on the TI-nspire. no options.

So get the picture; demand, use  and what it deliver.. easy?   ;)

/Erik

Offline NEDM64

• Contributor
« Reply #262 on: November 12, 2012, 08:38:45 pm »
I love my TI CX CAS's software.

But the hardware is the worst ever, to the point I would even prefer a chiclet keyboard!

There's still nothing like my old HP 48GX in that field :)
Are you thinking about buying Keysight test equipment? Think about this

Offline ErikTheNorwegian

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #263 on: November 12, 2012, 09:33:27 pm »

But the hardware is the worst ever, to the point I would even prefer a chiclet keyboard!

Yeah, the keyboards is not great, but i have most of the things i do in it as finished formulas/dockuments, so its only data input i need to do.

/Erik

Offline NEDM64

• Contributor
« Reply #264 on: November 12, 2012, 10:40:13 pm »

Yeah, the keyboards is not great, but i have most of the things i do in it as finished formulas/dockuments, so its only data input i need to do.

Define "not great"

Of all calculators i used in my life, it's the worst. I don't know what they were thinking... all other TI's were OK... extreme cost cutting...
Are you thinking about buying Keysight test equipment? Think about this

Offline Zad

• Super Contributor
    • Digital Wizardry, Analogue Alchemy, Software Sorcery
« Reply #265 on: November 12, 2012, 11:31:10 pm »
I wonder for what range of values the solution "a pocket calculator" is optimal, when the question is "I need to draw colour 3D graphs and models".

What did you do to break so many calculators? I'm still using my HP28S from 1989, and my Casio fx-2600P from 1983ish.

Offline ErikTheNorwegian

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #266 on: November 12, 2012, 11:52:19 pm »
I wonder for what range of values the solution "a pocket calculator" is optimal, when the question is "I need to draw colour 3D graphs and models".

What did you do to break so many calculators? I'm still using my HP28S from 1989, and my Casio fx-2600P from 1983ish.

I study at the moment Quantum Stochastic Calculus.. (Class is part of a "junior" study at CERN, same class is also found at MIT and Cornell in the US.)    Quantum Algebra (math.QA) so the TI is perfect.. but for the heavier calculations we use wolfram for the more complex models. But for the understanding of covariant differential calculus, the Ti-nspire is at it best.

I have been using them "on site", ex the 4 years before the winter Olympics, i had one in my pocket all the time when we delivered all the sound reinforcement equipment.  In all weather, on building sites, in rigs high over ground, in skislopes and in all temperatures. We had down to minus 32c  in the nights when we had to reconfigure the speaker settings and directions in the slopes when they moved the track for the next day. The HPs did ok in about 5-10 minuts, they they gracefully dided, or the lcd froze, then it was to slip inside the jacket, pull out another one that was warm and start again. The warm cold change made humidety to build up, so they did not work well after that tretment.  :D

Its not all of us that sit by a table all day, some has to work out on building sites, like the Gardemoen airport, did electroacoustics there.
But i have a calculator from 1976.. still up and running besides my casio FX-720P- like new..   two Ti-nspire models like brand new..
Today i my needs are coverd by the Ti, i dont have to move around with a laptop. So to my needs, its just perfect, size- but keyboard is small , but i manage well. (I`m now in a weelchair and its difficult to move around with just that so evry ounce les to move around is great.).

« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 12:10:14 am by ErikTheNorwegian »
/Erik

Offline mark5009

• Contributor
« Reply #267 on: November 13, 2012, 01:38:06 am »
+1 for the HP-15C

Got mine back in the mid-80s as part of doing my EE and it hasn't missed a beat since.

In addition, if no-one else has mentioned it, there is a brilliant TCL/TK version of the 15C out there.  It has become my go-to desktop calculator

http://hp-15c.homepage.t-online.de/content_web.htm

.. mark.

Offline rr100

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #268 on: November 13, 2012, 12:14:15 pm »
I love this thread and I used many and love some of the devices presented here (more than I usually love anything that has buttons and eats electricity). And I am a "power user", I wrote programs for most of them (except for Sharp PC-1xxx series which I never dug) and I had good experience with all clases of devices (notable exception for newer TIs maybe).
I troll ebay regularly for some Casio, Sharp, HP or TI that might catch my eye.

BUT I really can't use them anymore for anything more than simple calculations. I could get some HP48 in good conditions a while ago but really I couldn't do anything efficiently on it, except for making fun of friends who can't use it to do 3x2. I have a TI-89 I actually used for a long while and boy it's frustrating to use. Yes, I know it's from before 2000 but even then I've been spoiled by Maple (even as far back as 1995 or so). Yes, it can do CAS but you can guess it doesn't mean much for a Maple user.

It's not a failure of one particular device, it's just the limitations of the number of keys, screen size/resolution and processing power. If you have a big screen and a full keyboard of course you can just have some nice worksheet and source code and everything layed out in front of you. But if you are limited you need to assign multiple tasks to the same button, have shortcuts you need to keep in your head, etc.

Offline Jacob

« Reply #269 on: November 16, 2012, 05:09:54 pm »
Casio calculator is the best for the math and all other works like small working..but in my point of view calculator is not used in small question like 45*2 these type of question is not for the calculator that it give the answer...

Offline mickpah

• Regular Contributor
    • Yeti Hacks
« Reply #270 on: November 17, 2012, 05:32:31 am »
Just put new batteries in my HP11c, it must be 10 years since I have done that.
Please HP revive it! there is a whole generation missing the joy of RPN - you still have the 12c for the bean counters after all !

Offline FredJM

« Reply #271 on: November 17, 2012, 06:50:12 am »
I have a Casio CFX-9850GC Plus which I hate - happy to sell it ;-)

My Sharp EL-506W is not for sale! I find this calculator a pleasure to use - Hex/Bin/Oct and logic operations do not need any fancy menu stuff, and all the standard maths functions are available.
http://sharp-world.com/products/calculators/sc_calculator/el-506w/index.html

I also have a Casio FX-6300G which is a great old calculator, but not available now. I REALLY dont like the recent Casios.

Offline Shuggsy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #272 on: November 17, 2012, 07:27:38 am »
I get by just fine with a TI-30XA. Thin, inexpensive, and fairly capable.

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #273 on: November 17, 2012, 09:51:48 am »
Please HP revive it! there is a whole generation missing the joy of RPN - you still have the 12c for the bean counters after all !

Look at the type of people who now run HP :-( and you know why.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #274 on: November 17, 2012, 12:30:11 pm »
Alas, agree fully with B@W.  The HP you know that built those calculators is mostly Agilent today.

Look at the type of people who now run HP :-( and you know why.
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf