Author Topic: What calculator do you use ?  (Read 174019 times)

Offline secsec

Re: What calculator do you use ?
« Reply #300 on: November 23, 2012, 08:23:01 am »
I mentioned GNU bc above which is coming with basically any linux for quite a while.

Or why not use the dc command instead and get the good stuff (RPN)  ;)

Offline PA4TIM

• Super Contributor
  • instruments are like rabbits, they multiply fast
    • PA4TIMs shelter for orphan measurement stuff
« Reply #301 on: December 01, 2012, 05:18:22 pm »
My new calculator. A HP-48G. The PC-1500 and plotter did not work. looked great but nicads and batterys had leaked and did severe damage. The 1500 gives some image but the 3,7Vdisp. is not more as 1.5V and it draws 25mA even when powered off so something is wrong. If it was not all the battery damage I would give repairing a try.

And just finnished repair, a HP-9100A, I have also a 9100B here but that is in very bad shape, faulty HV (Q1 dead), fautlty PSU, missing CRT, non functioning processor, lots of damage by salt water. Probably not fixable. Both are not mine but from a museum.
www.pa4tim.nl my collection measurement gear and experiments Also lots of info about network analyse
www.schneiderelectronicsrepair.nl  repair of test and calibration equipment
https://www.youtube.com/user/pa4tim my youtube channel

Offline rr100

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #302 on: November 23, 2014, 01:56:37 pm »
Been fighting with Korad power supply, no matter, long story short - I need to increment 0.009A with 0.001. Well....... guess what (this is python):

>>> a=0.001+0.009
>>> print(a)
>>> b=1000*a
>>> print(b)
>>> print(int(b))

(I know WHY this is but really, pretty shocking).

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #303 on: November 23, 2014, 03:46:55 pm »
I started with some really old HP/TI calculators - brown plastic with yellow gold lines, led disiplay.

Then some Casio VFD calculators. Then FX-80/82, Sharp EL502, some Casio programmable, ...

Now, I am on 12C - love it.
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #304 on: November 23, 2014, 03:58:30 pm »
The calculators I use most often are:

1. HP 32S II (RPN)
2. HP 15C  (RPN)
3. Sharp PC1350 for fast programming with good size display
4. Sharp PC1600 for more advanced programming and 4 color plotter.

The Sharp PC's are connected to the laptop via RS232 and all programs are stored.
Anything more complex is done on the PC
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline magetoo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #305 on: November 23, 2014, 04:57:41 pm »
Or why not use the dc command instead and get the good stuff (RPN)  ;)

That is precisely what I use.

Interesting that the above comment was posted exactly two years ago today.  (Or should I say "2 365 * p" days ago.)

I just did a currency conversion on the command line before reloading the forum too.

Offline janengelbrecht

• Regular Contributor
    • JP-Electronics
« Reply #306 on: November 23, 2014, 05:21:15 pm »
Answer to question: Ti 89 Platinum.

Offline gildasd

• Frequent Contributor
  • Engineering watch officer - Apprentice Officer
    • Sci-fi Meanderings
« Reply #307 on: November 23, 2014, 05:38:38 pm »
If you don't have to contend with exam rules, just get the best one available for less than 150us if you shop around:
- TI cx cas (think of it as a modern TI 89).
- HP prime or 50 (question of taste).
- Casio 991 as a pocket rocket.

On a side note, I just scored a new TI Nspire Touchpad for 1€ and I'm happy as a geek with a calculator.
I'm electronically illiterate

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #308 on: November 24, 2014, 12:56:24 am »
I had a TI-83 attending ITT Technical Institute in the late 90's.  Lent it to my stepdaughter when she was in high school and it was promptly stolen.  Just grabbed a TI-82 at a hamfest for $2 with minor screen issue and I have realCalc on my Nook HD+
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #309 on: November 24, 2014, 01:03:21 am »
I used to have a Sharp EL 506P, not sure what happened to it. Did replace it with an EL 506L because my main use for them was/is base conversion.

Now I just use the Windows calculator, although I don't like the change they made in Windows 7 that separates the programmer mode from the scientific mode.

The EL 506L is still around in my desk but I rarely power it up.
Edit: added image since there is a newer 506L model it seems.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 01:06:58 am by miguelvp »

Offline atferrari

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #310 on: November 24, 2014, 04:42:13 pm »
Casio fx-570ES
Agustín Tomás
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, however, there is.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #311 on: November 24, 2014, 04:56:44 pm »
I still find using hardware calculators for brainstorming, field calculations and cross checking my software faster than using RealCalc on my phone or software calculators on the PC, except when I have to transfer numbers often to another app for further evaluation. 

When US schools went on summer break, Walmart and Amazon dumped inventory on the Casio FX260 for $6, FS-115ES [ called FS-991-ES elsewhere] For $11 and the TI-36XPro for $18.  I picked up a few Casios and a TI.

The last two are staples in US colleges for math and engineering courses.  They can do definite integrals, polynomials, expression evaluation and much more, have been around for nearly 15 years [ as prior model, without 'ES' for Casio or Pro for TI] and have been reviewed extensively by many for strenghts and weaknesses.

I've never liked the first version of VPAM and wrote such calculators off for many years.  But the updated 'VPAM' or textbook displays look very much like you'd write on paper and make entering fairly complex equations into these calculators easier.

Graduates of colleges >=15 years are likely seasoned veterans of these calculators but those of us who were in school before that will find these capabilities another timesaver worth a look, given the cost of these calculators.

There are also 2 other competing units with a similar breath of functions from Sharp and Canon, but they cost more and can be hard to find.  Casio and TI are the leaders in the education fields worldwide and one reason [ if not the only reason] these calculators are still made or so cheap.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 05:02:12 pm by saturation »
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline TopLoser

• Supporter
« Reply #312 on: November 24, 2014, 05:12:00 pm »
A 25 year old very battered HP 15C.  This thread has just made me realise how long it's stayed with me through good and bad, one of the few things that's stayed on my desk for more than a few weeks  ;)

Can't see me ever using anything else now, so much so that I've just been trawling eBay looking for a backup one, bloody hell they are more expensive now than when I bought it 25 years ago!!

Some years ago I sold the almost unused HP 16C I had, that fetched an astonishing amount on eBay.

Gasp... just found out they did a limited edition re-issue of it in 2012 - $180 list price and they're now selling for $600+ !! Reviews of it aren't very good either, the quality just isn't there.

ahhh and look at these...
http://www.swissmicros.com/

« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 05:24:28 pm by TopLoser »

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #313 on: November 24, 2014, 05:45:02 pm »
A 25 year old very battered HP 15C.  This thread has just made me realise how long it's stayed with me through good and bad, one of the few things that's stayed on my desk for more than a few weeks  ;)

Can't see me ever using anything else now, so much so that I've just been trawling eBay looking for a backup one, bloody hell they are more expensive now than when I bought it 25 years ago!!

Some years ago I sold the almost unused HP 16C I had, that fetched an astonishing amount on eBay.

Gasp... just found out they did a limited edition re-issue of it in 2012 - $180 list price and they're now selling for $600+ !! Reviews of it aren't very good either, the quality just isn't there.

ahhh and look at these...
http://www.swissmicros.com/

I did buy 4 pieces of the limited version of the 15C in 2012. The price I paid was just $ 125 and I thought it was a lot.
One for me a three for my friends. I should have bought 10 or more of them, knowing now that they go for so much.

The Swiss Micros clone is good as well, I have that one in my pocket all the time.

Also, there is a really good 15C APP for the iPhone and it works really well too.

The 15C is probably the best calculator ever made.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #314 on: November 24, 2014, 06:51:01 pm »
I finally replaced my HP-48 with an HP-50g.  My only complaint about the HP-50g is that it is slower latency wise than the HP-48.  I would like to know how they managed that with orders of magnitude higher processor performance.

If I could find a solar powered RPN calculator, I would consider it for when I do not want to carry the HP-50g.

Offline sdg

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #315 on: November 24, 2014, 07:35:22 pm »
HP-41C.
And the thing to its right is a Ti58 undergoing heavy surgery. It suffered a nearly fatal electrolyte leakage from the battery pack. After some cleaning and resoldering of several component, the calculator restarted, but the keypad is dead...
--
 -sdg

Offline jlmoon

• Supporter
  • If you fail the first time, keep trying!
« Reply #316 on: November 24, 2014, 08:31:00 pm »
HP 67 & HP 25, still the best in the business.  eh, for the old school guys!

Sometimes if I can stand to wait, I might use the Computer but the 67 boots much faster. 

« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 08:36:15 pm by jlmoon »
Recharged Volt-Nut

Offline atferrari

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #317 on: November 27, 2014, 09:57:30 am »
, non functioning processor, lots of damage by salt water. Probably not fixable. Both are not mine but from a museum.

Sea water?  :P
Agustín Tomás
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, however, there is.

Offline rr100

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #318 on: January 05, 2015, 10:27:55 am »
I think I have a new favorite for 2015: Sage.

I am a long-time (~20 years!) Maple user (and that was my go-to program for anything more than what you can put (now) in Google Calculator). However using software that starts from triple digits for students and goes (easily) into thousands for anything commercial at all is totally a show stopper in most cases I deal with. I have nothing at all against commercial and even expensive commercial turnkey solutions but they aren't for what I deal with. Plus I didn't like the programming part at all in Maple.

Using something GPLed or similar to do math just feels better. I was actually surprised to recently find a somewhat old document:  http://wstein.org/mathsoftbio/history.pdf where William Stein (Sage's Linus so to speak) basically expresses the same feeling (plus he does something about it instead of wasting time for 20 years like me).

Of course over the years I tried (as well) SAGE but it was breaking too easily, it would not install without extra steps, etc. However now it just works. It installs on ubuntu (and most likely on many other distributions) with one command.

And programming is python-based (the modern language I am most productive in, not that it means much). And there is a public server anybody can use if you don't have linux and you don't want to bother with a virtual machine: cloud.sagemath.com

What more can you ask for?

Offline retrolefty

• Super Contributor
  • measurement changes behavior
« Reply #319 on: January 05, 2015, 11:13:23 am »
HP 32S II RPG is my goto calculator. Over the years I was frequently amused when someone would ask to borrow/use my calculator for a quick results only to see them stare for way too long looking for the equals button.  :-DD

Offline pmurray4

• Contributor
« Reply #320 on: January 05, 2015, 12:57:11 pm »
I use a Casio fx-991MS, excellent calculator, has engineering notation input and outputs too!

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #321 on: January 05, 2015, 01:27:08 pm »
HP 32S II RPG is my goto calculator. Over the years I was frequently amused when someone would ask to borrow/use my calculator for a quick results only to see them stare for way too long looking for the equals button.  :-DD

+1
Happens again and again and is always funny to watch

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #322 on: January 05, 2015, 02:54:25 pm »
Even funnier is replacing the built in calculator on a PC with a RPN version. Or set it to octal mode. That one can be really confusing as it seems to work...........

Offline rr100

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #323 on: January 05, 2015, 03:26:19 pm »
Speaking of that - try either in normal windows cmd or linux:

ping 192.168.0.01
(doesn't matter your network, should be working as expected, either timeout or answer, whatever - and do not forget the extra 0)

you can continue with any or all below:

ping 192.168.0.02
ping 192.168.0.03
ping 192.168.0.04
ping 192.168.0.05
ping 192.168.0.06
ping 192.168.0.07

Still nothing special, works as expected.

and then the surprise comes:

ping 192.168.0.08

WTF IS GOING ON!

(and the same with 192.168.0.09 for that matter)!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 03:28:17 pm by rr100 »

Offline TopLoser

• Supporter
« Reply #324 on: January 05, 2015, 04:49:16 pm »
Obviously the leading zero indicates that the number is octal. Since 8 is not a valid octal digit, the command fails.

This is a pretty common trap for young players using the C standard library. Functions like atoi() treat numbers with leading zeros as octal.

Hmm not quite... ANSI Standard C atoi() only supports base 10 ASCII values, strtol() and other some functions support alternate bases such as hexadecimal and octal.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf