Author Topic: What car electronics you deem most useful?  (Read 20254 times)

Offline cs.dk

• Supporter
Re: What car electronics you deem most useful?
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2017, 07:59:42 am »
One of the oldest - windshield wiper delay. Without it in light rain you either operate the switch like crazy or let the blades rub themselves to oblivion.

Rainsensor :-+ It's really one of the features i like most in my car.

Offline Dataforensics

• Supporter
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2017, 09:19:32 am »
Electric rear view mirrors, no more getting out, adjust, not quite right then repeat.
Pedestrians on my street seemed to make a beeline for the mirrors on my old Land Rover.

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2017, 09:42:44 am »
I think it must be the hybrid drive in my car. Otherwise it is not going anywhere.

The following users thanked this post: NiHaoMike

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2017, 10:41:20 am »
I installed park distance sensors on the rear of my car, dashcam and I am thinking of putting the park sensors on the front as well, so I can park easier.  For intermittent rain I just use C-thru ( in the USA RainX) as that means there are only little drops in light rain, and the rain vanishes over 60kph in any case, along with less bug sticking to the window ( yay, last night was termite night, must have been a million or more plastered over the front of the car in the 30km trip back from the in laws, but only a few marks on the windscreen, and a good number stuck on the wiper arms where they went splat, plus of course the dogs were loving the tasty snacks) as they tend to bounce before splat.

A plug in dongle to interrogate the ECU and other body modules is great, tells you things as well as intermittent faults as well, plus things like more info than the dash is capable of displaying. Things like speed control, radio and such are just nice to have, I can work without them or around them. Navigation as well I would rather it is not part of the car, as those are very often both expensive, clunky and obsolete before the vehicle is sold, or are never updated, or the updates are a massive cost for the value of the actual data itself. Power windows I have working hands, plus I can feel if the channels are binding and service it, not just break the whole lot when it seizes from whatever. ABS great if it is there, but remember ABS does Sweet Fanny Adams if you have either no tread on the tyres, or cheap rubber, or have not serviced the brake system and the pads, rotors or drums are no longer up to spec. decent tyres, decent tread and I have not aquaplaned, even hitting a 10cm deep 50m long section of flooded freeway at 120kph, I just washed the underside and the sides of the road dumping 50kph of energy without braking. Guy behind me spun out, must have had airplane tyres.

Joe, you are right on your skill, but as you are likely a driver in the top 1% of drivers, the most common vehicle is for the 99%, and I am in there as well, will just have to admire your skill, and remember never to drive with you in a hurry. I have a simple philosophy about motor vehicles and planes, never get into one that I am more than the empty unfuelled mass. Helicopters fine, cars fine, but no bikes ( I was cured of that at 15 in high school) and no microlights ( RIP Mowritz, AIB still is puzzled about that one), but great fun in helicopters and planes. Yes, did find out a Porsche 911 can actually fly, even if the landing was somewhat sparky.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2017, 11:34:18 am »
One of the oldest - windshield wiper delay. Without it in light rain you either operate the switch like crazy or let the blades rub themselves to oblivion.

"I never use AM radio, even though I have it, FM is good enough because in the UK you only need BBC Radio 4. RDS helps... I would prefer a perfect digital radio, but DAB was crippled from the outset. "

I cringe at the idea of DAB radio in a car.  :--  Will make handheld phone use seem positively benign by comparison. At least, I hope I never encounter a guy, head down below the dash and pushing buttons furiously  trying to find a channel on the thing, coming towards me.  Or else, that he wanders off into the ditch before he reaches me.  :phew:
I personally can't stand wind screen wiper delays. They never seem to work correctly. I've had them in cheap cars and in very expensive ones, and I always turned the setting to manual eventually. It could be a good thing, but I haven't seen it work yet.

It's a bit like satnav. A good one will provide the correct information at the right time. If that's off slightly, it can be quite the hassle.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2017, 11:39:06 am »
A dashcam brought me a lot of peace. I used to think this a lot : "crap, that moron nearly hit me, what if I had to explain it to the police ? To the insurer ? Would they offer a shitty 50/50 deal while I wasn't in the wrong at all ?". Now it's all gone. Best 100 EUR spent ever.
Just know that dash cams have also been used against the owner of the camera. If it turns out you were 5 mph over the limit when an accident occurs, it could be reason for the insurer not to pay, even if it didn't actually contribute to the accident.

There's also the matter of privacy. Even though you control the camera, there's still a detailed record of where you've been. There have been incidences where the camera got stolen and this was turned against the owner.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #56 on: December 17, 2017, 11:57:52 am »
Sound system - I am a huge fan of a car system that can play podcasts and it can be be controlled by the steering wheel controls.
(PS off topic - I do a lot of country driving- about 500km/wk - most at about 100km/hr and appreciate a smooth ride - I hopped out of a Porsche 911 Carrera once into my Volvo V70 - ah..... so comfortable!)
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline Naguissa

• Regular Contributor
    • Foro de electricidad, electrónica y DIY / HUM en español
« Reply #57 on: December 17, 2017, 01:23:01 pm »
0. Air conditioner. A must here.

1. Electric windows: it's a no-go trying close other window that mine while driving.

3. Airbag

4. Any driving hrlp or emergency susbsystem, like lanr change advisors or traction control.

In short: 1st prevent distractions, then help driving and protect if a crash happens.

Enviado desde mi Jolla mediante Tapatalk

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: December 17, 2017, 03:32:37 pm »
Joe, you are right on your skill, but as you are likely a driver in the top 1% of drivers, the most common vehicle is for the 99%, and I am in there as well, will just have to admire your skill, and remember never to drive with you in a hurry. I have a simple philosophy about motor vehicles and planes, never get into one that I am more than the empty unfuelled mass. Helicopters fine, cars fine, but no bikes ( I was cured of that at 15 in high school) and no microlights ( RIP Mowritz, AIB still is puzzled about that one), but great fun in helicopters and planes. Yes, did find out a Porsche 911 can actually fly, even if the landing was somewhat sparky.

Its interesting the focus is on my skills and confusion about the difference between ABS and traction control  and my comment about the brakes being applied automatically.   No questions so let me try provide some details, first by offering that I am a very safe driver for the most part when driving a car.  I base this on my lack of accidents over a very long history of driving.   I don't take many risks on the public roads while in the car.   I have written that the break controller on this car is for both the traction control as well as the ABS.  The ECM in this case does not store codes for the break controller however you can pull the data off the break controller with a scan tool that supports it (which I have).   

Starting with the problem where the break controller applies the brakes on dry pavement.  The system uses four wheel speed sensors to detect the slip.  The two front ones are built into the bearing, the rear use a tone ring mounted to each axle.   It can't detect actual road conditions.  When this condition has happened on dry road conditions,  it is always during a turn.   Its possible the tires could slip on loose stones or sand that first enable the traction control.  What happens is the controller then gets into a mode where it will not recover.  The only recourse is to slow down and turn off the traction control or restart the system.  This condition is very rare.  It's happened I think three times now and has always been at low speeds (sub 20 MPH).   However, even with that problem, as I mentioned before I still like having the traction control.  It works well on ice.   

When I talk with people about ABS who drive in similar road conditions, the stories are similar.  I use ABS often during the winter.  Normally at speeds less than 5MPH.  I dare say at speeds less than 1.  When driving on ice,  the car basically will not stop or requires a VERY long distance to stop.   I have a friend who was coming to a stop sign going down a hill.  He was driving slow, road was ice.  He was pretty much stopped in plenty of time and distance then the ABS kicked in.  Brakes released and the car nosed forward.  It then grabbed again for a bit and reactivated.  The car nudging into the intersection at slower than you would walk.   This is common with what I see with ABS while driving on ice at very low speeds.  Even if I were in a wreck at 1MPH as the car creeps along, the damage is going to be minimal.  To get around this on my current car, I throw it into neutral if it starts to engage.  This disables the ABS and I can stop the car.   We have enough areas where you try slow speed ice slides to see how their controls work.   ABS has never been a problem for me on dry or even wet road conditions.  It never activates.   

Hope this helps. 

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59 on: December 17, 2017, 05:13:29 pm »
I hate power windows.  They are just another expensive and extraneous feature to break.
Its actually cheaper to make a modern car with power windows than with a manual winder. They have a lot more flexibility in design with electric drive, and motors are very cheap. Also, the simpler construction inside the door leaves more space for door pockets, or allows a slimmer door to be used.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #60 on: December 17, 2017, 05:19:34 pm »
Power windows also warrant a heavy motor, which is another kilogram or so added to the bulk of the vehicle.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #61 on: December 17, 2017, 05:30:30 pm »
OBD2 so I can work out why the engine light is on before I get shafted by the garage.
As if the self diagnostic actually work  :palm: It is there because of regulations but it doesn't help at all to pinpoint the exact problem.

The OBD2 diagnostics actually work well in my experience.

So, I'd say OBD2 is very useful if you have a modern vehicle with ECU/EFI etc etc.
These are the simple problems you can find without OBD2 errors. Over the years I have had various problems for which the OBD2 errors messages where wrong or the problem wasn't even detected. For example: when the timing belt on my previous car snapped the OBD2 gave an error for a valve on the (diesel) fuel injection pump. Fortunately I looked further before ordering a 350 euro valve.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 05:38:47 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: December 17, 2017, 05:31:18 pm »
Power windows also warrant a heavy motor, which is another kilogram or so added to the bulk of the vehicle.
Its a damned heavy window that requires a 1 kilo motor. You have to offset the weight of the motor by the amount of manual winder mechanics which are not needed. They are not so light.

Power windows used to be a pure cost and weight addition when windows were designed for manual winders in the base model. Now that even the base model has power windows the door design has been optimised a lot.

The following users thanked this post: Someone

Offline Inverted18650

• Frequent Contributor
    • Test Gear Addicts
« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2017, 05:35:41 pm »
Turn signals, if people would use them, but you have to make sure you keep the blinker fluid fresh, and headlights. Scratch that, I actually want to vote for
the electric starter, otherwise we'd all be using the hand crank. This one is too difficult, I keep editing my answers.

1.) electric starter
2.) headlights
3.) turn signals
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 05:42:56 pm by Inverted18650 »

Online David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2017, 05:37:04 pm »
I hate power windows.  They are just another expensive and extraneous feature to break.

Its actually cheaper to make a modern car with power windows than with a manual winder. They have a lot more flexibility in design with electric drive, and motors are very cheap. Also, the simpler construction inside the door leaves more space for door pockets, or allows a slimmer door to be used.

And literally cheaper in the sense of lower reliability and more expensive repairs but that is just more income.

And increased weight from wiring, and controls, and whatnot.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2017, 05:45:08 pm »
Its a damned heavy window that requires a 1 kilo motor. You have to offset the weight of the motor by the amount of manual winder mechanics which are not needed. They are not so light.

Power windows used to be a pure cost and weight addition when windows were designed for manual winders in the base model. Now that even the base model has power windows the door design has been optimised a lot.
The winder mechanism is basically the same scissor mechanism. That makes sense, as you still need to convert a rotary force into a linear one. If I am to believe the internet, a motor unit weighs between 0.5 to 1 kilogram, which is basically what I said.

Cars of equal size have become much heavier in recent years, due to all the extra electronics, optimized or not.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2017, 06:02:27 pm »
Cars of equal size have become much heavier in recent years, due to all the extra electronics, optimized or not.
Cars have mostly become much heavier trying to get good results in crash tests. Engines have a lot of extra stuff on them, like turbochargers, but other aspects of the engine are generally lighter these days - e.g. even cheap cars have aluminium engines now. I'm not sure how those changes add up. The electronics in cars weighs very little.

Online David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2017, 06:11:19 pm »

Cars have mostly become much heavier trying to get good results in crash tests. Engines have a lot of extra stuff on them, like turbochargers, but other aspects of the engine are generally lighter these days - e.g. even cheap cars have aluminium engines now. I'm not sure how those changes add up. The electronics in cars weighs very little.

Or like for pickups in the US, they have become deliberately heavier because regulations require it so they may meet lower fuel economy standards.  The laws allegedly intended for raising fuel economy and lowering pollution act to do the opposite.  It is literally unlawful to sell new "light" pickups which would have higher fuel economy producing less pollution in the US.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2017, 06:15:52 pm »
The electronics in cars weigh quite a bit. Even just the air bags constitute a considerable weight. There's all sorts of electronics being added all over the car, servos, motors, ABS systems, you name it. There's more weight in electronics in cars than ever.

A lot of the weight added comes from safety systems, and much of that is electronic. The passive structure isn't that much more heavier. Making a car sturdy is never the intent, as that doesn't absorb energy in case of a crash. Older cars could survive crashes better than today's cars, but unfortunately did kill their passengers in the process.

Offline IanMacdonald

• Frequent Contributor
    • IWR Consultancy
« Reply #69 on: December 17, 2017, 09:02:22 pm »
The electronics in cars weigh quite a bit. Even just the air bags constitute a considerable weight. There's all sorts of electronics being added all over the car, servos, motors, ABS systems, you name it. There's more weight in electronics in cars than ever.

Used to have a Citroen with hydraulic suspension, and joke was that the hydraulic suspension was necessary to support the weight of the toolbox every owner carried around in case of a hydraulic problem.  :-//

Online Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #70 on: December 17, 2017, 09:14:08 pm »
Since the 70's average non-US passenger vehicle weight has roughly doubled up to the 2010's and has eased off slightly since then, the shift to large and heavy non-car platforms has been clear. If you look to the US (http://faculty.washington.edu/dwhm/files/MacKenzie%20Zoepf%20Heywood%20as%20submitted.pdf) they started from a base of oversized "tanks" which hides the change the rest of the world saw. During that time the weight of electronics jumped in the 80's and then hasn't changed so much since as most of the parts can be made smaller and cheaper, the actuators are the heavy parts but they still remain a small part of the weight budget for a car. Take two cars from 30-40 years apart that you think of as the same size and put them next to each other, cars have ballooned in size and what used to be a family sized vehicle is now a "compact", weight scaling roughly to the 3rd power of the linear dimension.

A lot of the weight added comes from safety systems, and much of that is electronic. The passive structure isn't that much more heavier. Making a car sturdy is never the intent, as that doesn't absorb energy in case of a crash. Older cars could survive crashes better than today's cars, but unfortunately did kill their passengers in the process.
Having stripped cars old and new the electronics and in particular safety such as airbags etc do not make a significant weight in the car, total weight of all safety components is similar to a full spare wheel+tire (remember those). The heaviest parts are actuators such as power steering, all the safety hardware is likely to weigh less than the air conditioning (noted in this thread as essential equipment by many people).

Most of the additional weight has been in the chassis/monocoque body improving the passenger cell strength, recall back to a time when side impact protection was not tested or required and rollover strength was met with A pillars less than an inch across. All that has changed and the passenger cell is now a rigid structure with impact crush depths front and rear, high strength mounts for the seats and restraint system etc. Weight savings now being made are in the extensive use of plastic for body panels and interior structure.

Online Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #71 on: December 17, 2017, 09:19:37 pm »

Its interesting the focus is on my skills and confusion about the difference between ABS and traction control  and my comment about the brakes being applied automatically.   No questions so let me try provide some details, first by offering that I am a very safe driver for the most part when driving a car.  I base this on my lack of accidents over a very long history of driving.   I don't take many risks on the public roads while in the car.   I have written that the break controller on this car is for both the traction control as well as the ABS.  The ECM in this case does not store codes for the break controller however you can pull the data off the break controller with a scan tool that supports it (which I have).   

Starting with the problem where the break controller applies the brakes on dry pavement.  The system uses four wheel speed sensors to detect the slip.  The two front ones are built into the bearing, the rear use a tone ring mounted to each axle.   It can't detect actual road conditions.  When this condition has happened on dry road conditions,  it is always during a turn.   Its possible the tires could slip on loose stones or sand that first enable the traction control.  What happens is the controller then gets into a mode where it will not recover.  The only recourse is to slow down and turn off the traction control or restart the system.  This condition is very rare.  It's happened I think three times now and has always been at low speeds (sub 20 MPH).   However, even with that problem, as I mentioned before I still like having the traction control.  It works well on ice.   

When I talk with people about ABS who drive in similar road conditions, the stories are similar.  I use ABS often during the winter.  Normally at speeds less than 5MPH.  I dare say at speeds less than 1.  When driving on ice,  the car basically will not stop or requires a VERY long distance to stop.   I have a friend who was coming to a stop sign going down a hill.  He was driving slow, road was ice.  He was pretty much stopped in plenty of time and distance then the ABS kicked in.  Brakes released and the car nosed forward.  It then grabbed again for a bit and reactivated.  The car nudging into the intersection at slower than you would walk.   This is common with what I see with ABS while driving on ice at very low speeds.  Even if I were in a wreck at 1MPH as the car creeps along, the damage is going to be minimal.  To get around this on my current car, I throw it into neutral if it starts to engage.  This disables the ABS and I can stop the car.   We have enough areas where you try slow speed ice slides to see how their controls work.   ABS has never been a problem for me on dry or even wet road conditions.  It never activates.
Still sounds suspicious, there will almost certainly be logging on the ABS ECU (which may not be visible to workshop tools) and that you fix the problem by turning off traction control makes it sound like not a fault with ABS but some other functionality. Certainly not a reason to suggest ABS shouldn't be installed on vehicles.

If you're using ABS on ice without studs or chains of course its going to be inferior, put some appropriate treads to the road surface.

Offline Rick LawTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2017, 01:51:51 am »
Funny, no one has yet said 'Power Windows'.

... ...

Yeah, my driver side window had not been able to open for over a year now.  The passenger side is now beginning to scream when used.

I had asked my mechanics to fix it, but he doesn't think he will find all the needed parts (for a 20 year old car) to put it back together.  He further suggested while he will be glad to take my money to achieve nothing, it is best to leave it as is.

If my passenger side window fails too, I have two back windows and a sunroof for air...  plus another car that I can use, so situation is hopeless but not desperate.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #73 on: December 18, 2017, 01:59:47 am »
Funny, no one has yet said 'Power Windows'.

... ...

Yeah, my driver side window had not been able to open for over a year now.  The passenger side is now beginning to scream when used.

I had asked my mechanics to fix it, but he doesn't think he will find all the needed parts (for a 20 year old car) to put it back together.  He further suggested while he will be glad to take my money to achieve nothing, it is best to leave it as is.

If my passenger side window fails too, I have two back windows and a sunroof for air...  plus another car that I can use, so situation is hopeless but not desperate.
My fav for keeping them working well is powdered graphite, can be a bit messy so use with care.
Use on manual winders too....slipperrrrrrry stuff.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #74 on: December 18, 2017, 02:27:20 am »
Car Door is a metal container that helps the rusting process of Power Windows over time.  :-DD
water condensation on the top glass will flow down were evaporation is inhibited by the metal container.
giving the rusting process more time to attack electrical contacts and insulation.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 02:45:03 am by jonovid »
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf