Author Topic: What car electronics you deem most useful?  (Read 20250 times)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: What car electronics you deem most useful?
« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2017, 07:47:33 am »
That’s very true. The driver’s side window in my car hasn’t opened for 2 years  :-DD

Occasionally it vibrates down an inch so I have to get out and grab both sides and ram it back up again.

Offline razberik

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #76 on: December 18, 2017, 08:33:11 am »
I am glad that my car beeps at me when I forget to turn of headlights when I pull out the ignition key.
And it also has an interior light which I can turn ON/OFF whenever I want !

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #77 on: December 18, 2017, 08:44:55 am »

4. Any driving hrlp or emergency susbsystem, like lane change advisors

I have a deep concern about systems that encourage the lessening of situational awareness.  This sort of thing can lead to dependence on such systems to the point that the driver could lose that skill - relying only on the system performing as they expect ... which may be far more than what it was designed for and capable of achieving.

Offline Rick LawTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78 on: December 18, 2017, 10:35:50 am »
After seeing all the replies in this thread, I have to add this two to my most like (useful) list:

0. Radio - I wont buy a car that doesn't have AM radio
1. Cruse control - I wont buy a car that doesn't have cruse control
1.5 Head light on warning when car is turned off
1.6 Radar detector.  I don't speed much these days, but it keeps me alert.

2. Trip computer (I particularly like my previous VW's), dual, one manually clear/set and one automatically clears and restart after 2 hours (presumably new trip) displaying MPG, Miles, time.
3. Exterior temperature display (don't care when in the Summer, but rely on it in the Winter)
4. Stop watch - I found I use that a lot.  In fact, I would like it dual or multiple ones.  With a tie to trip computer is also a good thing but in that case I want more than dual.
4.1 Dash cam - I don't have one, but I wish I did when some lady turn right from the left lane.  I saw her and I came to a complete stop, but she forced on and crush my left front fender.  I had the luck of getting an auxiliary policeman responding.  He refused to just walk up 20 feet to see that the left lane was no-turns-allow.  So the whole thing was a mess.

Offline Ridocar

• inventor of the XAND and XNOT gate
« Reply #79 on: December 18, 2017, 10:49:41 am »
In my car (a baby-blue '07 Skoda Roomster):
1. The cruise control
2. The car stereo (with navigation)

In my truck ('12 MB Actros 1840):
1. The automated gearbox.

On my bike ('85 Honda Shadow VT500):
1. The tail-light warning indicator.
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize" -Voltaire

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80 on: December 18, 2017, 10:52:22 am »
I'd like a head light warning I can see when the car is on. The "lights" and "main beam" indicators are usually placed where the steering wheel prevents a tall driver seeing them. In general, the dashboard in most cars is laid over very badly for anyone tall.

Offline Freelander

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #81 on: December 18, 2017, 01:04:53 pm »
Never use a radio or music player - waste of effort for me.
Must have air-con - refuse to get in without it :popcorn:
EBD (as it is AWD) Also love my HDC as well.
Turbo diesel engine - a total must have - with horrible catalytic converter and egr removed. No petrol rubbish.
(90% of vehicles are good old diesel where I currently live - (Portugal))
Leccy windows,
Lecky mirrors,
Central locking,
Good lights.
Traffic recording cams front and rear. (for the other idiots)
GPS - NOT built in - a stand alone unit.
Clock :)
Fag lighter for plugging things in. (like GPS - sat nav)
Rev counter,
Speedo
Temp gauge
Oil light.
Lights on warning
Oh, and the most important thing ! - automatic 'Via Verde' toll payment tag.
Thats about it really.
 :-+

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #82 on: December 18, 2017, 02:31:28 pm »
Never use a radio or music player - waste of effort for me.
Must have air-con - refuse to get in without it :popcorn:
EBD (as it is AWD) Also love my HDC as well.
Turbo diesel engine - a total must have - with horrible catalytic converter and egr removed. No petrol rubbish.
(90% of vehicles are good old diesel where I currently live - (Portugal))
Leccy windows,
Lecky mirrors,
Central locking,
Good lights.
Traffic recording cams front and rear. (for the other idiots)
GPS - NOT built in - a stand alone unit.
Clock :)
Fag lighter for plugging things in. (like GPS - sat nav)
Rev counter,
Speedo
Temp gauge
Oil light.
Lights on warning
Oh, and the most important thing ! - automatic 'Via Verde' toll payment tag.
Thats about it really.
 :-+
Aircon in the UK? Now that's a joke!

Offline Freelander

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #83 on: December 18, 2017, 02:35:49 pm »

Aircon in the UK? Now that's a joke!
Well, as I happen to live in Portugal, it is not.. :-+

Even in the UK, it is an absolute godsend in the winter for rapidly demisting and keeping the glass clear - air con on full and heating on full -  and - it IS useful on one or two days in the UK summer. ::)
 :popcorn:

Online brucehoult

• Super Contributor
« Reply #84 on: December 18, 2017, 04:40:56 pm »
Well, let's just take EFI, ABS, electrically adjustable and foldable wing mirrors, "climate" A/C, reversing camera and a few others as read. You'd have to work pretty hard to find a new car from a reputable manufacturer *without* them in 2018 models.

I never use the radio. I do play music from my phone on longer trips, and nav directions from my phone over the car's audio system is handy.

I will never again buy a car without a cruise control that is capable of following the car in front at a set (and adjustable) distance. If it can do that, you'll always I think get automatic emergency braking included too.

The cheapest cars I currently know of with that are the Subaru range, from Impreza and Crosstrek/XV up. In NZ (and I think Aus) the EyeSight system is standard even on the base model. In the USA it's an extra cost option, for just a couple of thousand dollars. Base Impreza is NZ$29990 RRP including tax but not ORC.

https://www.subaru.co.nz/showroom/impreza/compare#state=compare&variants=523

In the US you need "Premium" trim level at $22155 plus $1395 Eyesight package = $23550.

If anyone can point me at a cheaper car with this great safety and convenience feature then please tell me as I'm likely to be in the market for a car in the next 12 months.

Offline Azu

« Reply #85 on: December 19, 2017, 03:34:06 am »
Personally..
In ranking

1. Not Electronic but a Stick/Manual Transmission
2. A/C
3. Auto Headlights
4. Reverse Camera (makes life soo much easier at times)
5. Bluetooth or Android Auto
6. Oil Temp
7. Heated Windshield/Mirrors
8. Adjustable Rev Warning

I love my WRX STI  >:D

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: December 19, 2017, 04:02:58 am »
I love my WRX STI

When are you going to get a proper car? ;-)

Seriously though, for me, the basics will do. That is air conditioning, bluetooth, cruise control, auto-lights, decent performance and a comfortable ride, but none of that overrides safety. I drive a European car with more safety features you can poke a stick at (and I'm not talking about distracting ones like Subaru's dodgy EyeSight system).

Speaking of Subaru, I enjoyed seeing a WRX in my rear view mirror, as he was left in the dust of a Volvo today.  >:D
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 04:08:51 am by Halcyon »

Offline Azu

« Reply #87 on: December 19, 2017, 04:33:37 am »
Speaking of Subaru, I enjoyed seeing a WRX in my rear view mirror, as he was left in the dust of a Volvo today.  >:D

Not going to lie, I like the rumble and all but an Inline Five...  Ooooooh, Eargasmic.

But enough derailing of the thread. ;D

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88 on: December 19, 2017, 04:58:28 am »
I have a deep concern about systems that encourage the lessening of situational awareness.

In the old days vehicle safety was mostly about protecting the occupants from external assault. These days it seems to be about protecting the occupants from the driver.
I'm with you. This level of automation is reaching a point where people rely on it. "Oh I can just relax and not pay attention as the car will save me from myself".

Years ago I had the first gen Audi TT Quattro (the one that kept forgetting which end was the front on the Autobahn and killing the occupants in the ensuing rollover). The ESC that was fitted after that was amazing, and I experienced it first hand when I hit a diesel spill on a left hand off ramp at speed. The ESC just danced around independently braking each wheel and feeling for grip until it brought the car around to where i had the wheel pointed (which was 90 degrees from where it went when it hit the spill) and saved me from a certain bender with the armco and a ride in the hee-haw wagon. It doesn't matter how good a driver I was, I was never going to be able to independently brake all 4 wheels and do what the computer did. If I was out for a squirt I'd turn it off, but around town I called it my "get out of jail free" card. I never ever wanted to rely on it however.

On the other hand, it also malfunctioned and applied brakes to the left hand side of the car while I was on the freeway one day. Just long enough to soil my underpants, but not long enough to cause me to lose control. So, not perfect.

While I kinda agree to an extent with the extra electronics being applied these days, the necessity seems to be more due to poor driver training rather than any huge improvement in safety.

Offline Rick LawTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89 on: December 19, 2017, 06:23:03 am »
Personally..
In ranking

1. Not Electronic but a Stick/Manual Transmission
2. A/C
3. Auto Headlights
4. Reverse Camera (makes life soo much easier at times)
5. Bluetooth or Android Auto
6. Oil Temp
7. Heated Windshield/Mirrors
8. Adjustable Rev Warning

I love my WRX STI  >:D

Since you are in Canada - you probably accidentally omitted heated wind-shield washer nozzle with your "option #7".  Something you don't think you need until the nozzle freeze up with ice around it.  We had a bad snow day (not even so heavy) just 2 days ago.  My regular 2 hour drive turned into a 6 hour thing.  I had to break ice off the washer nozzle a few times.  I much prefer not to have to stop on the side of a snowed-in road and be outside the car doing things like that.

As to manual transmission, that is for a car designed for driving.  Automatic transmission is designed for a car for just moving people.  Diving into a 90 degree turn at 50mph+, brake as you dive into the turn, down-shift into 2nd and pull out of the turn, and back to 40+ just as the car straightens out. That's what makes driving fun.  You can't do that with an automatic - electronically controlled or otherwise.

Offline Naguissa

• Regular Contributor
    • Foro de electricidad, electrónica y DIY / HUM en español
« Reply #90 on: December 19, 2017, 06:35:51 am »
Funny, no one has yet said 'Power Windows'.

I hate power windows.  They are just another expensive and extraneous feature to break.
... ...

Yeah, my driver side window had not been able to open for over a year now.  The passenger side is now beginning to scream when used.

I had asked my mechanics to fix it, but he doesn't think he will find all the needed parts (for a 20 year old car) to put it back together.  He further suggested while he will be glad to take my money to achieve nothing, it is best to leave it as is.

If my passenger side window fails too, I have two back windows and a sunroof for air...  plus another car that I can use, so situation is hopeless but not desperate.
I sold my car two months ago due new legal pollution laws here. It was a 25 years old BMW 320 E36. Still original power windows without any repair.

Enviado desde mi Jolla mediante Tapatalk

Offline Naguissa

• Regular Contributor
    • Foro de electricidad, electrónica y DIY / HUM en español
« Reply #91 on: December 19, 2017, 06:37:59 am »

4. Any driving hrlp or emergency susbsystem, like lane change advisors

I have a deep concern about systems that encourage the lessening of situational awareness.  This sort of thing can lead to dependence on such systems to the point that the driver could lose that skill - relying only on the system performing as they expect ... which may be far more than what it was designed for and capable of achieving.
But this are humans' fault. There's always that dilemma, with all helps, but still think it's a positive enhancement.

Enviado desde mi Jolla mediante Tapatalk

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #92 on: December 19, 2017, 06:43:26 am »
Humans suck at doing tedious things. If you can reduce the cognitive load of those things, you can increase the attention paid to more important things. You'll need to carefully balance that indeed.

Luckily for us, we've got many decades of experience with aircraft avionics and where to aid the pilot and where not to. Even though they are well trained professionals, a humans is still a human.

Offline Falcon69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93 on: December 19, 2017, 07:53:52 am »
Not an electronic, of course at the time I wish it was electronic, but, I did find it/her useful.  My ex would often remind me my blinker was on and that it needed to be turned off after turns.

But, then again, she also thought they were needing blinker fluid too, after I told her they weren't operating correctly because they were low on it.  :-//

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #94 on: December 19, 2017, 07:56:40 am »
Not an electronic, of course at the time I wish it was electronic, but, I did find it/her useful.  My ex would often remind me my blinker was on and that it needed to be turned off after turns.

But, then again, she also thought they were needing blinker fluid too, after I told her they weren't operating correctly because they were low on it.  :-//
Do you perhaps have a problem with your hearing?

Offline Falcon69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95 on: December 19, 2017, 08:01:22 am »
yes. I often had a problem 'hearing her'  :o

All seriousness. I love my steering wheel controls for the radio. Don't even take my eyes off the road half the time. I'm about to install a new after market stereo, with Android Auto so I can access my music on my phone and stuff.  I hope (with the module I bought), that the steering wheel controls will work, like the iPhone control does on some decks that control the iPhone for changing tracks and such.

Offline rbm

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #96 on: December 19, 2017, 11:55:57 am »
For the cold half the year, I really appreciate the electric steering wheel heater in the Mercedes and heated handgrips on the BMW motorcycle in the warm :o half of the year.
- Robert

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #97 on: December 19, 2017, 01:31:58 pm »
I'd like a head light warning I can see when the car is on. The "lights" and "main beam" indicators are usually placed where the steering wheel prevents a tall driver seeing them. In general, the dashboard in most cars is laid over very badly for anyone tall.

My car at the time didn't have a headlight reminder, so I bought a cheap Radio Shack module sold for that purpose.  I never got around to wiring it in, but I never left my lights on again ... Having it tied to the keyring reminded me to check every time I removed the keys from the ignition.   ;D

The following users thanked this post: Freelander

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98 on: December 19, 2017, 03:42:01 pm »
Its interesting the focus is on my skills and confusion about the difference between ABS and traction control  and my comment about the brakes being applied automatically.   No questions so let me try provide some details, first by offering that I am a very safe driver for the most part when driving a car.  I

We have enough areas where you try slow speed ice slides to see how their controls work.   ABS has never been a problem for me on dry or even wet road conditions.  It never activates.

Still sounds suspicious, there will almost certainly be logging on the ABS ECU (which may not be visible to workshop tools) and that you fix the problem by turning off traction control makes it sound like not a fault with ABS but some other functionality. Certainly not a reason to suggest ABS shouldn't be installed on vehicles.

If you're using ABS on ice without studs or chains of course its going to be inferior, put some appropriate treads to the road surface.
Show me where I suggest ABS shouldn't be installed on vehicles. 

At 15 or so thousand miles, this car started to set the traction control every time you drove the car above 20 or so MPH.  Fault code was for a wheel speed sensor but when I looked, both tone rings cracked.  The replacement rings were about 2X thicker.   No brake codes have set after that repair.   I have a car that when I would start it from time to time, the message center would flash that the ABS was damaged.   There was actually a note in the manual that said to restart engine and if the code cleared, it was most likely alright.  It took them some time, but they did find the problem and corrected the firmware.  It makes you wonder how well they test their code if things like this knowingly get released.   

I fully agree with your last comment.  This may indeed be a solution where you drive but studs and chains are no longer in use where I am and have not been for many years.  There is no laws against using studded tires that are approved however, there are no approved tires.   

Online brucehoult

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99 on: December 19, 2017, 04:28:33 pm »

My car at the time didn't have a headlight reminder, so I bought a cheap Radio Shack module sold for that purpose.  I never got around to wiring it in, but I never left my lights on again ... Having it tied to the keyring reminded me to check every time I removed the keys from the ignition.   ;D

I don't understand why a reminder would be preferable to a car that simply turned off the headlights when you turn the key to OFF!

This is not rocket science or expensive to do. Every motorcycle I've ever ridden has done this -- even the cheapest. So do all Subaru cars dating back to at least the early 90s (personal experience). Maybe others do too.

I even modified my father's Kingswood 202 wagon to do this when I was a teenager in the late 1970s. I was crawling under the dashboard anyway to add a home-made 555 and veroboard intermittent control to the wipers, and while I was there I changed the radio to always have power, and the headlight relay coil to only have power if the key was on -- as I recall I simply switched the spade connectors for the two of them!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf