Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2787656 times)

MarkL, Gary350z and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline HecticZA

• Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #5875 on: March 16, 2018, 04:30:25 am »
Bought a Magnum 2005 soldering station.

Also bought an Uni-t UT61E last month.
Both items probably won't rate that well against the more popular models, but both are a huge upgrade from what I had and I'm very happy with both.

Will now save for a Micro soldering iron for my soldering station, hot air station and I hope to get a variable power supply as well.

First of all I will have to buy some sort of scope. Due to Diabetes my eyesight is pretty bad.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 04:33:58 am by HecticZA »

Offline 0xPIT

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5876 on: March 16, 2018, 08:35:33 am »
Bought an ES121 screwdriver. Loving it already <3

Online kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #5877 on: March 16, 2018, 08:40:04 am »
bought a cetus 3d printer. UK stocks are pretty tight so duno at all when it may arrive to me !

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #5878 on: March 16, 2018, 10:43:59 pm »
A box of goodies.
Christmas has come early!
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline lordvader88

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #5879 on: March 17, 2018, 04:01:16 am »
Some 3kV 5pF ceramic cap's for a high voltage probe.

Offline edgelog

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5880 on: March 17, 2018, 04:25:32 pm »
So, I opened up my new Quick 861DE and to my surprise it looks quite different from the 861DW that Dave reviewed. For instance, it has a different blower (since it's 200 L/min instead of 120, that's to be expected), but the main transformer isn't there, replaced by a smaller one on the main board. Also, the EMI filter on the back panel is absent. The main board says "856D-Powerdrive v2.8 2015-06-22", while the 861DW in Dave's video says "861D-MotorDrive V1.5 20150731", so the 861DW Dave had is a more recent revision than the 861DE I have.

Now, the 856 is a different unit from Quick, you can see it here (click on 856 on one of the buttons on top):

http://quick-global.com/2-lead-free-rework-2.html

Checking the specs there, it seems the 861DE is a 856 in the case of the 861DW. Interesting.

All the boards in my unit are completely different from the boards you can see in Dave's video of the 861DW. See 12:04 point in: https://www.eevblog.com/2018/02/20/eevblog-1058-quick-861dw-hot-air-rework-station-review/

BTW, about that EMI filter missing, I didn't notice any flickering of the lights, but I don't have any fluorescents either.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 04:27:16 pm by edgelog »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline imidis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5881 on: March 17, 2018, 05:53:06 pm »
That's one of the problems with things like that, they are consistently inconsistent.  :-//
Gone for good

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #5882 on: March 17, 2018, 09:35:55 pm »
That's one of the problems with things like that, they are consistently inconsistent.  :-//

Maybe the filter is only required for 120v 60hz countries?

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #5883 on: March 17, 2018, 10:32:40 pm »

You don't need a PhD in power electronics to see the emi filter on the board.

I must confess I didnt look at all the pics.  :palm:

Offline Jay_Diddy_B

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5884 on: March 18, 2018, 10:04:15 pm »
I bought a (very lightly) used Rigol DSG815 Signal Generator:

Dave did a teardown video:

So no need to take it apart.

Photos:

http://www.eevblog.com/2015/11/25/eevblog-823-rigol-dsg815-rf-signal-generator-teardown/

I am curious to know if this could be hacked to the 3 GHz version.

Thread:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-823-rigol-dsg815-rf-signal-generator-teardown/

Regards,

Jay_Diddy_B
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 10:07:34 pm by Jay_Diddy_B »

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5885 on: March 19, 2018, 08:18:49 am »
Picked up a nice and rather compact isolation transformer. The previous owner had upgraded it from 300VA to 500VA with the biggest Ring Transformer I've ever seen. My old isolation transformer only managed 200VA and was struggling in some circumstances, so it was time to upgrade. Unfortunately, like most modern Isolation transformers, the Earth wire is connected through, making it not fully isolated, but that will be modified as soon as I have time. Never heard of the maker Renesse, nor could I find anything online about the device.

McBryce.

30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Online kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #5886 on: March 19, 2018, 10:23:28 am »
would like to see inside pictures of this transformer !

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
« Reply #5887 on: March 19, 2018, 10:42:47 am »
Tried 3D printing a case for one of the five DPS5015s I have lying around, seemed to work out OK and a whole lot cheaper than buying them.

The following users thanked this post: cdev

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5888 on: March 19, 2018, 11:05:50 am »
would like to see inside pictures of this transformer !

The Ring Transformer basically fills the entire case 180x180x100mm. There's probably bigger Transformers, but I don't usually deal with parts like this. I'll post a picture later.

Bryce.

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5889 on: March 19, 2018, 08:23:26 pm »
I had to buy a 1TB drive for mr crashed NAS and I got myself a near mint AVO 1001 for a mere fraction of the hard drive cost  :popcorn:

Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #5890 on: March 19, 2018, 08:54:43 pm »
(...)
Don't buy any external Seagate drives, 2.5'' or 3.5'', they use SMR drives (Seagate Archive) internally.
If you are to believe in this report, don't buy Seagate drives. Period.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Specmaster

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5891 on: March 19, 2018, 09:38:19 pm »
I had to buy a 1TB drive for mr crashed NAS and I got myself a near mint AVO 1001 for a mere fraction of the hard drive cost  :popcorn:

Don't know where did you get that WD Red, but just to say, there is a way to get WD Red cheaper, very cheap.
You see, WD is a high tech company selling products to recover their R&D cost, with a huge profit margin, and usually their internal driver customers are either server farms or companies, and they are willing to pay the price.
However, their external driver market is basically dominated by personal buyers, and they don't like to pay for IP.
Therefore, WD and Seagate both sell external drives cheaper than the internal drive inside the enclosure to secure this market.

As a result, you can buy WD Mybook or WD Easystor and strip out the internal drive.
There are 3 possible internal drives, being WD White, WD Red 128MB and WD Red 256MB.
You have to take a bet, the WD White is either rejected WD Red or overstock, so if you get that one, you lose the bet.
Some WD White drives also require you to modify SATA 22P cable since they put a trap to prevent you from using the drives as internal drives.
The WD Red 128 (AKA WD Thailand) and WD 256 (AKA WD China) are both genuine WD Red, but with TLER disabled.
There is also a 4th possibility, HGST Helium, but that's rare, just like winning a lottery.

Don't buy WD 2.5'' external drives, they have USB circuity on HDD PCB and no SATA exposed to external.
Don't buy any external Seagate drives, 2.5'' or 3.5'', they use SMR drives (Seagate Archive) internally.

I got my WD red drive from Amazon UK for £49.99, could have got a normal internal one for £35 but I did not know that the red drives will not hang if something fails to load, it will rely on the remain drives to load the data and move on. The other drives are normal internal ones and they do apparently hang in such an event and it is so annoying especially when the information is duplicated on the remaining 3 drives grr. Seriously thinking about installing 500Gb drives and going back to having just 4 separate drives instead of a raid array, then I could back them up to the 1TB plugged into a caddy on the desktop, more storage capacity and less frustration hopefully.
Who let Murphy in?

Brymen-Fluke-HP-Thurlby-Thander-Tek-Extech-Black Star-GW-Avo-Kyoritsu-Amprobe-ITT-Robin-TTi

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #5892 on: March 19, 2018, 11:32:20 pm »

Don't know where did you get that WD Red, but just to say, there is a way to get WD Red cheaper, very cheap.
You see, WD is a high tech company selling products to recover their R&D cost, with a huge profit margin, and usually their internal driver customers are either server farms or companies, and they are willing to pay the price.
However, their external driver market is basically dominated by personal buyers, and they don't like to pay for IP.
Therefore, WD and Seagate both sell external drives cheaper than the internal drive inside the enclosure to secure this market.

As a result, you can buy WD Mybook or WD Easystor and strip out the internal drive.
There are 3 possible internal drives, being WD White, WD Red 128MB and WD Red 256MB.
You have to take a bet, the WD White is either rejected WD Red or overstock, so if you get that one, you lose the bet.
Some WD White drives also require you to modify SATA 22P cable since they put a trap to prevent you from using the drives as internal drives.
The WD Red 128 (AKA WD Thailand) and WD 256 (AKA WD China) are both genuine WD Red, but with TLER disabled.
There is also a 4th possibility, HGST Helium, but that's rare, just like winning a lottery.

Don't buy WD 2.5'' external drives, they have USB circuity on HDD PCB and no SATA exposed to external.

I got my WD red drive from Amazon UK for £49.99, could have got a normal internal one for £35 but I did not know that the red drives will not hang if something fails to load, it will rely on the remain drives to load the data and move on. The other drives are normal internal ones and they do apparently hang in such an event and it is so annoying especially when the information is duplicated on the remaining 3 drives grr. Seriously thinking about installing 500Gb drives and going back to having just 4 separate drives instead of a raid array, then I could back them up to the 1TB plugged into a caddy on the desktop, more storage capacity and less frustration hopefully.
Second Copy is fairly handy for regular backups and quite user custom configurable.
http://www.secondcopy.com/

If you look hard enough there's some cracked versions available if you're into that sort of thing.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #5893 on: March 20, 2018, 12:59:15 am »

Second Copy is fairly handy for regular backups and quite user custom configurable.
http://www.secondcopy.com/

If you look hard enough there's some cracked versions available if you're into that sort of thing.
I have a license of Second Copy. It is a convenient and configurable package that automates regular file copies, even performs data verification. However, I use it for my Outlook mailbox + working files and, if it finds a locked or temporary file, it spins forever chasing its own tail and requiring a terminate via Task Manager. This happens even if the option to "attempt to copy files in use" is disabled. I still use it but it clearly requires some babysitting.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
« Reply #5894 on: March 20, 2018, 01:08:39 am »
I have a license of Second Copy. It is a convenient and configurable package that automates regular file copies, even performs data verification. However, I use it for my Outlook mailbox + working files and, if it finds a locked or temporary file, it spins forever chasing its own tail and requiring a terminate via Task Manager. This happens even if the option to "attempt to copy files in use" is disabled. I still use it but it clearly requires some babysitting.

I use Veeam Agent for Windows. It is free, mature and very stable. (and won't trip over an in-use file because it uses volume shadow copy)
https://www.veeam.com/windows-endpoint-server-backup-free.html
Single file restore through to full bare metal restore.

At work, we have been using its big brother Veeam Backup and Replication.
We have been using it for 6 years - Backup, replication and restore testing - flawless, it has never let us down.
The Veeam Agent uses the same underlying technology.

I am not associated with Veeam, just a very happy user.
I approach the thinking of all of my posts using AI in the first instance. (Awkward Irregularity)

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #5895 on: March 20, 2018, 07:42:51 am »
Bought this today:

- 10 LT1012 military spec version, part number: 5962-9084201MGA
- 20 WIMA foil caps, FKP2, 22nF, 63V
- 20 WIMA foil caps, MKS2, 680nF, 63V

I have attached the datasheet for the LT1012 which describes the mil-spec version of it.
Source: https://landandmaritimeapps.dla.mil/Downloads/MilSpec/Smd/90842.pdf

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

The following users thanked this post: Inverted18650

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5896 on: March 20, 2018, 08:16:55 am »
Unsoldering tubes, remembering the old times when using syringe needles.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5897 on: March 20, 2018, 08:35:20 am »
Unsoldering tubes, remembering the old times when using syringe needles.
I've never used these, but they're certainly interesting based on cost alone.  ;)

Guess I should break down and buy a set as they're rather inexpensive from the pricing I've seen (currently only use a couple of solder suckers and desolder wick).

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #5898 on: March 20, 2018, 09:10:09 am »
How would those work?

The following users thanked this post: nowlan

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5899 on: March 20, 2018, 09:35:38 am »
You remove the main volume of solder from the joint using your preferred method, then you heat the joint again and push the metal tube of the tool over the pin, seperating the pin from the copper trace in the hole. It doesn't do the entire de-solder, it's just a method to free the component pin inside the hole.

McBryce.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf