Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2781218 times)

wkb, Gixy and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline JohnMc

• Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #5975 on: March 28, 2018, 02:01:14 pm »
Yes, Deathdaptor. Was chuckling to myself as I bought it.  Only going to use it for my phone and maybe my laptop if I take it with me for a couple of days.

Actually was thinking of doing a IEC power bar the other day. The UPS we got for the office came with a almost full world set of IEC cables.

Finding a good power bar/board in Thailand can be a challenge.
 Just a couple of the faults I have seen - Universal sockets that also take finger tips.  :palm:
                                                         - Ungrounded type plugs or sockets
                                                         - Grounded type plugs and sockets but only two strand wire.  :palm:
                                                         - 0.5mmsq wire  :palm:

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5976 on: March 28, 2018, 02:50:21 pm »
Today I bought... Nothing. I went to the Maplins closing down sale only to discover that even with a 60% discount they are considerably more expensive than ANY online retailers.

McBryce.

Gesendet von meinem Motorola DynaTAC 8000x mit Tapatalk

30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5977 on: March 28, 2018, 07:39:48 pm »
Chinese capacitive capacitors, in pico (the blue guys) and nano (the yellow guys) range and a nice 10K/10turns 0.3% Bourne clone.
Actually, a bit shocked how precise they are.

Cheers,
 DC1MC

EDIT: Ups, forgot the picture
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 08:33:01 pm by DC1MC »

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #5978 on: March 28, 2018, 07:57:46 pm »
 :) at sunday:  E104  (90kg shortwave radio)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 08:03:03 pm by Martin.M »

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #5979 on: March 28, 2018, 11:26:42 pm »

And on Monday a visit to the Physiotherapist  :-DD
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline alank2

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5980 on: March 29, 2018, 02:31:26 am »
I bought this.. figure its time to upgrade from the ol weller analog and see how this one goes

What Weller are you coming from?  I ordered the ADS200 - been using a WES51 for a long time.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #5981 on: March 29, 2018, 05:52:59 am »

Looks lovely!
Working?
Rob
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #5982 on: March 29, 2018, 06:14:27 am »
A 82357B clone from Hong Kong:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/132164957894

“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
« Reply #5983 on: March 29, 2018, 08:14:28 am »
A 82357B clone from Hong Kong:

Snap. Ordered the same thing from HK yesterday (different seller though). Be real interested to hear your experiences with it.

What software you intending to use with it?

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #5984 on: March 29, 2018, 09:44:04 am »
What software you intending to use with it?

Not decided yet but I think I'll start with some Python scripts and my 34401A meter.
I'm not experienced in this kind of stuff, so I need to play around a bit with it.

Later, some other meters will follow, e.g. a DMM 7510, Prema 6040 S etc.
The 8357B will arrive end of April, in the meantime I'll look for some GPIB cables. :-)
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline joseph nicholas

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5985 on: March 29, 2018, 09:46:06 am »
I got an Eico 950 for 400pesos (Mex) in good condition.  Found it in a second hand shop.  Seems to work ok. 

Offline hscade

• Contributor
« Reply #5986 on: March 29, 2018, 04:20:14 pm »
Metcal MX-PS5000  :clap: :-+

Offline DC1MC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5987 on: March 29, 2018, 05:15:15 pm »
Metcal MX-PS5000  :clap: :-+

Damn, now I'll have competition for the accessories  >:D

EDIT: I nabbed this nozzle cleaner for 10EUR
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 05:45:52 pm by DC1MC »

Offline Edison

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5988 on: March 29, 2018, 06:30:49 pm »
Pretty solder :-+ He would not fit in height

I bought a UFO  :-DD

Everything works as the weakest link in the chain

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5989 on: March 29, 2018, 06:37:01 pm »
I bought this.. figure its time to upgrade from the ol weller analog and see how this one goes

What Weller are you coming from?  I ordered the ADS200 - been using a WES51 for a long time.

Yup same here! That thing is like a tank and just keeps on going.  We got hakkos/weller at work, they are nice too. Our main tech has a full hakko setup and its pretty nice

Offline Trisc

« Reply #5990 on: March 30, 2018, 12:26:43 am »
Finally, a decent meter :) Just as well the seller packed it really well because the box had a 4" hole in it - box handed to me on the doorstep with the hole underneath so I wouldn't spot it... Thankfully the meter survived though.

Chris
Can I ask how much you paid?
I’m in the market for a new meter too.

Tossing up between an old keithley or a new(ish) Agilent, but the prices are a bit painful for the home lab!

Ps: nice workspace!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If it hasn't blown up at some stage during development, you're doing it wrong.
Dream big, think big, stick at it & youll achieve greatness.... one day....

The following users thanked this post: TiN

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
« Reply #5991 on: March 30, 2018, 09:07:29 am »
Finally, a decent meter :) Just as well the seller packed it really well because the box had a 4" hole in it - box handed to me on the doorstep with the hole underneath so I wouldn't spot it... Thankfully the meter survived though.

Chris
Can I ask how much you paid?
I’m in the market for a new meter too.

Tossing up between an old keithley or a new(ish) Agilent, but the prices are a bit painful for the home lab!

Ps: nice workspace!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I paid £360, which is probably about the going rate for these in good condition.

Offline tecneeq

« Reply #5992 on: March 30, 2018, 03:52:40 pm »
Edit: A cool idea I just had - one of the problems with many filaments is they are hygroscopic and need to be kept dry, they are transported in a plastic bag with dessicant inside. Of course, as soon as you take the spool out the bag it will start to deteriorate unless you take steps to prevent it (construct a dry box for example). With the spool rollers I figured I could just put the roller inside a large sealable bag, with dessicant, and the filament then pokes out through a tiny hole. It can be used this way and will stay dry. Seems to work fine!

I can't recommend those small sachets, you can't see when they are saturated and you need a larger amount to actually get the moisture out of there properly. Search for "Silicagel Orange", that stuff changes color from orange to green, depending on the amount of water it sucked up. I ordered 1 kg for 15 euros from Amazon. Then order a few hygrometers from china, should be 1 euro per piece. Put them in the bag and measure the amount of moisture semi exact.

I ordered a bunch of 250g spools as well recently, bronze, copper, alu, carbon, wood and one plain ABS. Can't say i have ever used something else than PLA.

Offline ChrisLX200

• Supporter
« Reply #5993 on: March 30, 2018, 04:13:14 pm »
Edit: A cool idea I just had - one of the problems with many filaments is they are hygroscopic and need to be kept dry, they are transported in a plastic bag with dessicant inside. Of course, as soon as you take the spool out the bag it will start to deteriorate unless you take steps to prevent it (construct a dry box for example). With the spool rollers I figured I could just put the roller inside a large sealable bag, with dessicant, and the filament then pokes out through a tiny hole. It can be used this way and will stay dry. Seems to work fine!

I can't recommend those small sachets, you can't see when they are saturated and you need a larger amount to actually get the moisture out of there properly. Search for "Silicagel Orange", that stuff changes color from orange to green, depending on the amount of water it sucked up. I ordered 1 kg for 15 euros from Amazon. Then order a few hygrometers from china, should be 1 euro per piece. Put them in the bag and measure the amount of moisture semi exact.

I ordered a bunch of 250g spools as well recently, bronze, copper, alu, carbon, wood and one plain ABS. Can't say i have ever used something else than PLA.

You're right, and I do have a 1Kg jar of the indicating gel (Blue>Pink stuff). I guess I need to print a small tray with perforated lid to fit underneath between the rollers. You can rejuvenate silica gel in a kitchen oven when it gets saturated, not sure about the stuff in these satchets though.

Last spool I bought (and using right now) is 2.5Kg of PETG (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XKY3RRN/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) - it's huge so I'll have to find a larger bag :) It's the best stuff I ever printed with and will never go back to PLA or ABS - other than to use up existing stocks. Not all PETG is good, two other brands I tried previously were not as good even though they were twice the price.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5994 on: March 30, 2018, 05:04:46 pm »
Packed up some stuff that was sold, so the 300x300x700 high unit was slightly changed after packing to 450x450x900 in a cardboard box, cushioned with plenty of extra cardboard as padding, bubble wrap ball on all sides well taped together, extra cardboard padding top and bottom and then an outer box to cover it all. Might get there unscathed, but every side has a fragile sticker on it.  Added around 5kg to the mass with all that.

Courier was supposed to collect between 2PM and 4PM, but of course never showed up at that time, and when I left nearly at 5PM still no show.

Company that made the equipment was UK based, went belly up around a year ago, so no longer really around to support them, but there are spares available still, or you just machine them out of appropriate materials. Has a mains filter in it, dating from 1988, but not made by Schaffner, instead a Bulgin one, made using separate toroids per line and non RIFA capacitors, so still perfect after all this time.

Offline Martin.M

• Frequent Contributor
  • in Tek we trust
    • vintage Tek collection
« Reply #5995 on: March 30, 2018, 07:20:45 pm »

Looks lovely!
Working?
Rob

Restoration, what else  ;)

« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 07:23:10 pm by Martin.M »

The following users thanked this post: Cubdriver

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5996 on: March 30, 2018, 07:28:12 pm »
Wow, stack of selenium rectifiers, Bosch capacitors, engine-like casted aluminum block, rotating drum of dial frequencies...

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #5997 on: March 30, 2018, 08:48:42 pm »
Wow, do I have a problem.   

Just picked up a used Siglent SDG2042X because of the great thread here.  I waffled over the purchase for a while.  I'm ashamed to admit I ordered it, cancelled it, then ordered it again.  :palm:

The only issue is that I already have an almost new SDG1032X.  I told the wife that I would sell the 1032...

TEA is real, people.  It's real.  :'(
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 08:50:36 pm by BillB »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #5998 on: March 30, 2018, 09:10:53 pm »
Wow, do I have a problem.   

Just picked up a used Siglent SDG2042X because of the great thread here.  I waffled over the purchase for a while.  I'm ashamed to admit I ordered it, cancelled it, then ordered it again.  :palm:

The only issue is that I already have an almost new SDG1032X.  I told the wife that I would sell the 1032...

TEA is real, people.  It's real.  :'(
:-DD

Nah, really you should at least get your $ back on your 'improved' SDG1032X1062X.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/buysellwanted/

But then, try some of the tricks you can do with 2 AWG's as it opens up a # of possibilities with triggering the other with bursts etc.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #5999 on: March 30, 2018, 09:51:25 pm »

Looks lovely!
Working?
Rob

Restoration, what else  ;)

Nice :)
Sue AF6LJ

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf