Author Topic: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!  (Read 2754344 times)

TopQuark and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
Re: What did you buy today? Post your latest purchase!
« Reply #8250 on: May 24, 2019, 06:27:10 am »
Who in their right mind will pay thousands of $ for only a single pcb of many needed for a piece of computer antique ?

People will pay a lot of money for old computers if they want them bad enough: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultra-RARE-Commodore-65-Prototype-/223509001295

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #8251 on: May 24, 2019, 08:54:07 am »
People will pay a lot of money for old computers if they want them bad enough: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultra-RARE-Commodore-65-Prototype-/223509001295

McBryce.
Wow, that's... Wow. At first I thought the ended listing was closed by the seller, until I saw the bids...
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8252 on: May 24, 2019, 10:01:14 am »

McBryce.
Wow, that's... Wow. At first I thought the ended listing was closed by the seller, until I saw the bids...

Yeah, but there were only a couple of hundred ever made so...

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #8253 on: May 24, 2019, 11:08:40 am »
An old HP 1630D logic analyzer.

Recently one of my lovable nearly-grown-up kittens discovered that the pod flying leads of my old 1630G were fun to cut with his very sharp teeth. I caught him after he'd neatly severed only two wires, but damn... Those wires are special. Fine, very flexible, with brightly colored teflon insulation. I repaired them, but this reminded me I have no spares for that machine, other than a small stock of ECL chips.

Ventured into ebay meaning to buy some spare pod-lead sets, but instead found a whole 1630D. Looking good, working. Got it for $15. But the shipping, arrgh!  Anyway, it's here now and works. It's amazingly pristine, for something so old. Very light dusting inside.  All metal inside and out still looks new.

Now where am I going to keep it?
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline cat87

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8254 on: May 24, 2019, 12:11:07 pm »
I got this little thing,  mainly because it was there and it looked nice and it had the right price tag on it. Well,  ok,  I need it for that odd job or two that might pop up..
It's a Stahlwille  775a torque screwdriver. So what if it's in inch pounds... I still like it  :-DD

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8255 on: May 24, 2019, 08:33:28 pm »
Some pictures of my volt-ohm box.

Edit: one more half cleaned.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 07:15:05 am by maginnovision »

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8256 on: May 25, 2019, 02:39:20 am »
An old HP 1630D logic analyzer.

Recently one of my lovable nearly-grown-up kittens discovered that the pod flying leads of my old 1630G were fun to cut with his very sharp teeth. I caught him after he'd neatly severed only two wires, but damn... Those wires are special. Fine, very flexible, with brightly colored teflon insulation. I repaired them, but this reminded me I have no spares for that machine, other than a small stock of ECL chips.

Ventured into ebay meaning to buy some spare pod-lead sets, but instead found a whole 1630D. Looking good, working. Got it for $15. But the shipping, arrgh!  Anyway, it's here now and works. It's amazingly pristine, for something so old. Very light dusting inside.  All metal inside and out still looks new.

Now where am I going to keep it?

My cat did that to the silicone rubber insulated lead on my Weller TCPT iron.
It looked just like it had been neatly sliced through with a very sharp set of sidecutters!
My iron looked stupid for years, with a little terminal block halfway down the lead.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8257 on: May 25, 2019, 04:03:19 am »
I love this thread. So many interesting things people buy  :-+
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Housedad

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8258 on: May 26, 2019, 05:09:25 pm »
Just ordered a Tripp-Lite 24 outlet power strip ps7224.  I got real tired of all the smaller strips.  I'm going to mount it on the wall behind the bench.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 05:24:09 pm by Housedad »
At least I'm still older than my test equipment

Offline hugo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8259 on: May 26, 2019, 06:20:45 pm »
A crimping tool made in Japan:

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #8260 on: May 26, 2019, 11:46:01 pm »
A small stash of short 5V RGB strips and controllers to help me play with my Laser Cutter  ;D eBay auction: #253895081804

Bright white is good but colour is more fun.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, tooki, Housedad

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #8261 on: May 27, 2019, 12:41:08 am »
Those are very nice beanflying.  :-+
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #8262 on: May 27, 2019, 12:44:34 am »
Just ordered a Tripp-Lite 24 outlet power strip ps7224.  I got real tired of all the smaller strips.  I'm going to mount it on the wall behind the bench.

I really need something like that too! Currently, I have about 5 power boards daisy chained!  :palm:

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8263 on: May 27, 2019, 01:55:53 am »

Just about got it to where I am really happy with it. 3DP prototype behind has given way to a Five layer Laser cut stacked base which is heavier and much more stable (also much faster to make) so I have pumped up the blade height just a touch. Also redid yesterdays Tek logo with a slightly heavier engrave which sorted out the missing fine details.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: Housedad

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8264 on: May 27, 2019, 05:28:36 am »

Just about got it to where I am really happy with it. 3DP prototype behind has given way to a Five layer Laser cut stacked base which is heavier and much more stable (also much faster to make) so I have pumped up the blade height just a touch. Also redid yesterdays Tek logo with a slightly heavier engrave which sorted out the missing fine details.

Those look great, what's the thickness?

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8265 on: May 27, 2019, 05:41:51 am »

Those look great, what's the thickness?

3mm Blades. 2mm would be harder to shove the light up and more fragile and 4.5 unless doing much larger panels would be OTT so I think it is about the best compromise.

Offline Wigo

• Contributor
« Reply #8266 on: May 27, 2019, 01:00:42 pm »
 Got my first O-scope today.

An Agilent 54622D. Found it locally and it needs a little bit of cleaning and some work for the carrying handle but it works fine.
And i only paid 150€

I just checked and it has the logic probes included 🎉🎊
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 01:33:42 pm by Wigo »

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #8267 on: May 27, 2019, 11:03:53 pm »
Got my first O-scope today.

An Agilent 54622D. Found it locally and it needs a little bit of cleaning and some work for the carrying handle but it works fine.
And i only paid 150€

I just checked and it has the logic probes included 🎉🎊

Great! I got one too a couple of years ago, but no logic probes. If your buttons aren't as responsive as you'd like, you can take apart the front pretty easily and clean the components.  :-+
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #8268 on: May 30, 2019, 05:06:31 pm »
Hopefully, it doesn't also have blocked ports. ;D
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: blueskull

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8269 on: May 31, 2019, 03:10:58 am »
A $100AUpeso Spraycan  :o Worth it or not time will tell  :scared:

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
« Reply #8270 on: May 31, 2019, 04:19:31 am »
A $100AUpeso Spraycan  :o Worth it or not time will tell

If it is anything like CerMark, that I have used in the past, it is absolutely brilliant on stainless steel.
To get very dark black images you need a reasonably good power. I have a 50W VersaLaser brand machine.

Product info: https://cermarksales.com/collections/lmm-6060/products/lmm-6060-black-for-metals-50-grams-liquid

edit: Added link to the 50g bottles I have purchased in the past.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 04:23:03 am by Mr.B »
I approach the thinking of all of my posts using AI in the first instance. (Awkward Irregularity)

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8271 on: May 31, 2019, 05:03:27 am »
A $100AUpeso Spraycan  :o Worth it or not time will tell

If it is anything like CerMark, that I have used in the past, it is absolutely brilliant on stainless steel.
To get very dark black images you need a reasonably good power. I have a 50W VersaLaser brand machine.

Product info: https://cermarksales.com/collections/lmm-6060/products/lmm-6060-black-for-metals-50-grams-liquid

edit: Added link to the 50g bottles I have purchased in the past.

Made by the guy that founded Thermark so it has good parentage. It comes out on top over Cermark on a lot of materials. I have a tame sheetmetal supplier with CNC metal cutting abilities and I have the little Laser to finish them. I actually have a commercial job to do in Stainless and I also have one for me in Aluminium which will be interesting. https://lasersupplies.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/LaserBond-Technology-Flyer.pdf

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8272 on: May 31, 2019, 05:31:27 am »
I brought some of these:

and some of these BGAF type SSD's:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fast-256GB-Native-SATA-III-2-5-SSD-550-420-MB-s-R-W-No-Case/292877541566?

And it seems to outperform a Kingston 400 in latency and Input Outputs per second on a USB 3 ASMT controller.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 05:38:58 am by MrMobodies »

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8273 on: May 31, 2019, 07:03:10 am »
My GS110EMX switch has arrived.

Hold my beer. Netgear has the world's best thermal design -- a blocked vent, and the world's best anti-theft design -- a blocked Kensington lock hole.

Is the case top perhaps on the wrong way around?
Not that Netgear aren't capable of such stupidity. My Netgear Nighthawk router had to be downgraded to a two year old firmware to get it to stay online and not keep disconnecting.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #8274 on: June 01, 2019, 04:01:44 pm »
Quick update on the GS110EMX switch. Its latest firmware doesn't work out of the box, and I had to downgrade to the previous firmware. And as usual, Amazon provided zero help other than return it and STFU.

I'm now really impressed by NetGear and its remarkable marketing team. It seems a good marketing team can drag a crippled engineering team out of death.
Interesting; I have a mixed bag of experiences with Netgear. Circa 2007 I had a printer server (USB-Ethernet adapter) that was a POS, but at more or less at the same time, their Wi-Fi router replaced a terrible WRT54G from Linksys that was plagued by constant disconnections and instability.

At work I heavily used both Netgear and Dlink - the latter had an edge over the former.

Currently I have their four bay NAS that works very well for me, but my dad's failed quite early.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf